Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that they're gonna use it as free license to have two girls fondling each-other as much as possible.

I am unsurprisingly okay with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

ImpAtom posted:

The gameplay is good but not as good as the next two games. It doesn't have as involved an alchemy system or as good a combat system as E&L and Atelier Shallie

Basically it's the worst Dusk game but still good in its own right (unlike Old Rorona) and the best entry point into the series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that they're gonna use it as free license to have two girls fondling each-other as much as possible.
well, yes, people in lesbian relationships often hit second base

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's still a better representation of actual relationships than what we normally get

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

U-DO Burger posted:

That's still a better representation of actual relationships than what we normally get

It's pretty much a perfect description of adolescent relationships for a lot of people so I'd say that's fine.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
For another opinion on the Dusk trilogy, I'd say Ayesha is really good, but the games got progressively better. I can't imagine going back to the battle systems pre-E&L, because everything is just so slow compared to how E&L operated, and Shallie is even better about combat moving quickly and generally being interesting / fun, even if there are a few bosses in Shallie who blatantly cheat (especially the DLC boss, who has a group insta-kill move that is unblockable, and he can use it twice in a row if he's feeling spiteful).

Just something about the trilogy really clicked with me in particular, so yeah, I'd give it a whirl. Each of the games has its own identity, especially with the two protagonists in E&L and Shallie (I thought Shallie handled that better than E&L did), and I greatly enjoyed all of them.

Also, that new Gust RPG certainly looks interesting. I'd be more than willing to give it a whirl. When it comes to the Shallies, I'd say Gust made it a point to write them as especially close to each other, but maybe just one or two steps away from an actual relationship. I just never really got that vibe from them, and I don't think the audience was meant to walk away with that kind of impression, but the True End especially could give that notion (also is my favorite ending, but I'm pretty sure Gust meant that to be the most satisfying ending). When it comes to Totori and Mimi, though, there's really not much room to argue about the nature of their relationship.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's really dumb how in ar no surge there's no option to retry a battle, you just reload a save, but a lot of bosses just kinda happen with no warning

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's also dumb how there is not even any slight semblance of difficulty balancing. Every single battle including bosses is either piss easy or completely impossible.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It's also dumb how there is not even any slight semblance of difficulty balancing. Every single battle including bosses is either piss easy or completely impossible.

yes that too

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You could just play Bloodlust Shadowhunter instead...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How is Drakenguard 3?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is Drakenguard 3?

There's an LP of it ongoing by a guy who knows the series inside and out, you'll probably get everything you need from that.
If you appreciate the zanyness of the other Taro Yoko games (Drakengard 1 and NIER) you'll have some fun, but it's at the very best (and only sporadically) an average action RPG.

E: really, it's more of an 3rd person action game than anything resembling an RPG.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It was kind of a let down after Nier :(

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Drakengard 3 is fully aware that it isn't a great game and that all the characters, save the dragon, are assholes. It also doesn't give two shits about this fact and relentlessly mocks itself. If you can find it on the cheap, buy it, otherwise check out the LP.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

What are generally some good PS3 JRPGS to get, or just really what is out there in general? I got one really late so I kind of missed out on...everything. The list of what I currently have:

Final Fantasy X/X-2
Kingdom Hearts 1.5
Ni no Kuni
Tales of Symphonia/Dawn of the New World
Tales of Xillia
Eternal Sonata

I have plans to pick up Xillia 2, and Graces f, the Atelier games, and probably Kingdom Hearts 2.5 but I'm not really sure what all else is out there.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Resonance of Fate can be amusing if you don't mind the combat getting repetitive.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Resonance of Fate can be amusing if you don't mind the combat getting repetitive.

I frequently pull out and play the early DQ games to completion. A game would have to really try to be so repetitive I couldn't put up with it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Hahahahaha, Eternal Sonata

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I think you got most of the good stuff, really. I'd recommend at least looking at the three FF13 games as the opinion on those wildly differs between people.

Depending on how far you're willing to stretch the definition of JRPG you're missing Valkyria Chronicles (get this anyway) and the Disgaea games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

What are generally some good PS3 JRPGS to get, or just really what is out there in general? I got one really late so I kind of missed out on...everything. The list of what I currently have:

Final Fantasy X/X-2
Kingdom Hearts 1.5
Ni no Kuni
Tales of Xillia
Eternal Sonata

I have plans to pick up Xillia 2, and Graces f, the Atelier games, and probably Kingdom Hearts 2.5 but I'm not really sure what all else is out there.

All of the PS3 Atelier games are pretty good, as long as you don't mind its particular brand of super anime cuteness and time management stuff. Atelier Ayesha is probably the best starting place.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Wendell posted:

Hahahahaha, Eternal Sonata

Even if you kind of like the game (I do), this is pretty much the only appropriate reaction to it.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I think you got most of the good stuff, really. I'd recommend at least looking at the three FF13 games as the opinion on those wildly differs between people.

Depending on how far you're willing to stretch the definition of JRPG you're missing Valkyria Chronicles (get this anyway) and the Disgaea games.

Ah yeah, I forgot about Valkyria Chronicles. I played the second one on PSP, and liked it, so I'll look out for a copy of that. As for XIII, I have those on the 360, except for the third one, which I haven't picked up yet.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Someone please explain the appeal of Resonance of Fate beyond making guns with 18 barrels that point in every direction, because the combat was repetitive and the story was nonsensical (and for the first 3/4 of the game, unrelated to what the main characters are doing).

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The setting is really cool and you can play dress-up, what more do you need?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I enjoyed the retarded adventures of the world's most stylish mercenaries. Daddy approves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dross posted:

Someone please explain the appeal of Resonance of Fate beyond making guns with 18 barrels that point in every direction, because the combat was repetitive and the story was nonsensical (and for the first 3/4 of the game, unrelated to what the main characters are doing).

The combat is 'repetitive' on lower difficulty modes but actually has a fair amount of depth that a lot of people ignore. Even if you can finish fights quickly on lower difficulties you can finish them faster or take on optional bosses at levels you wouldn't expect to if you're willing to engage with the combat system instead of just going "I will do the same thing over and over."

The story is nonsense but it's mostly a thin setup to allow for customization and fites.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 17, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Final Fantasy X/X-2
Kingdom Hearts 1.5
Ni no Kuni
Tales of Xillia
Eternal Sonata

Way of the Samurai

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

ImpAtom posted:

The combat is 'repetitive' on lower difficulty modes but actually has a fair amount of depth that a lot of people ignore. Even if you can finish fights quickly on lower difficulties you can finish them faster or take on optional bosses at levels you wouldn't expect to if you're willing to engage with the combat system instead of just going "I will do the same thing over and over."

The story is nonsense but it's mostly a thin setup to allow for customization and fites.

Aren't all the difficulty modes locked behind an iterative NG+ system? The fight system has a lot of complexity but basically zero depth and "engaging with the combat system" is usually a matter of making a battle take three times as long so you can use the flashier mechanics instead of the simplest, most efficient solution.

Customization is likewise a joke since your stat priorities are entirely one-dimensional and the game doesn't roll out new parts in a particularly interesting fashion. You can have a scope and a barrel, then you can have infinity scopes and barrels. Then you're done.

I wish the game was better because it has a lot of charm and some interesting ideas that were executed poorly. As it is, though, it's an interesting failure and recommending it to people as anything but that is doing them a disservice.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Way of the Samurai

This one looks really interesting, and pretty much right up my alley in terms of the sort of games I like. Is there a huge difference between 3 and 4 in terms of quality, or can I play them in either order without it feeling like I'm stepping backwards?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

This one looks really interesting, and pretty much right up my alley in terms of the sort of games I like. Is there a huge difference between 3 and 4 in terms of quality, or can I play them in either order without it feeling like I'm stepping backwards?
They are very different. 3 has 20+ endings with sometimes obscure requirements, it's mostly level-headed, and it uses the old series' system where your sword can last forever as long as you don't overload it.
4 has a chart showing you what plot events you've seen so far and which of the ten endings you're getting, the game is all wacky and your sword loses HP with hits so you'll be polishing your Schwartz a lot.

You should also look into Yakuza 3 and 4.

Selane
May 19, 2006

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Ah yeah, I forgot about Valkyria Chronicles. I played the second one on PSP, and liked it, so I'll look out for a copy of that. As for XIII, I have those on the 360, except for the third one, which I haven't picked up yet.

Keep in mind that the Steam version of Valkyria Chronicles runs and looks much better, if you're interested. And for the Atelier games, a lot of them have newer remakes for the Vita if you have one.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Selane posted:

And for the Atelier games, a lot of them have newer remakes for the Vita if you have one.

They're ports with the few DLCs that exist integrated and run worse than the originals. You're not really missing anything by just playing the PS3 ones, if you ask me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francis posted:

Aren't all the difficulty modes locked behind an iterative NG+ system? The fight system has a lot of complexity but basically zero depth and "engaging with the combat system" is usually a matter of making a battle take three times as long so you can use the flashier mechanics instead of the simplest, most efficient solution.

The simplest solution isn't always the most effective though, and even on a first playthrough there are optional bosses who show that off. A lot of people tend to go "I won the fight, so that's all I need to do." Which isn't inaccurate but doesn't mean you didn't have other options that could have made the fight go faster. If the fights are taking three times as long it is because you're using the wrong things, not because those mechanics don't work.

They probably should have made the harder modes available from the start but there's actually a fair amount you can do in the game and multiple ways to engage things.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Are any of Gust's ports worth it?

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.
Resonance of Fate is pretty much a dream for people who like going through RPGs underleveled. I beat my 2nd playthrough at like level 37-43 and it was way more fun than my first playthrough.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

The PSP Mana Khemia wasn't too bad if you installed it, or had the digital version. The load times were terrible on UMD though. And a bug prevented you from getting 100% in the grow book or whatever it was called. But given that was tied in with the bonus dungeon which was bugged pretty rough in the PS2 version (I never managed to finish it because it crashed if I so much as glanced at an enemy), that's not really better or worse than the original.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I think either way would be fine, except 4 is a lot less serious than 3 and I think that's a detriment personally. Combat in 3 is not very well explained, though, which is a real problem a lot of people had and part of the reason it got knocked in reviews. Since WOTS3 got a 360 port, it was the first one a lot of people played in the series and they were suitably confused by the whole thing.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 17, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WOTS4 got better reviews so you might like that one more, but personally the contrast between all the silly stuff you can do with your character and the seriousness of the storyline in 3 makes me like it more. I made an enormously heavy sword that was so crappy that NPCs would laugh at me for it, but if I managed to land a hit it would smash through peoples' swords easily.

Also, some sweet shades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMP01hWrJS8

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Did 3 ever end up on PSN? I'd love to play it but never found it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

WOTS4 got better reviews so you might like that one more, but personally the contrast between all the silly stuff you can do with your character and the seriousness of the storyline in 3 makes me like it more. I made an enormously heavy sword that was so crappy that NPCs would laugh at me for it, but if I managed to land a hit it would smash through peoples' swords easily.

Also, some sweet shades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMP01hWrJS8

Those are some pretty bitchin' shades.

And yeah, from the looks of the covers, it seemed like it pulled a Kessen and got more colorful and whatnot between games. I lean more towards serious, so I'll probably check out 3 first. Thanks for the rec, as it does look like pretty much exactly what I want from a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Ayesha is pretty good. It packs in all the DLC and runs (somewhat) reasonably well. The others... eh.