Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006
Well just saw this advert for an Audi in front of Avengers: Age of Ultron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ceAFeT-7s

:catstare:
Can see the train of thought that leads to that but Jesus...

A cinema showing full of kids made it better, a mum just laughing in front of us with her two kids asking what's funny.
Also I wonder why Audi spent money on product placement for this film, there was a blatant few and on TV there is an advert comparing the A5 I think to the Avengers. Wouldn't of thought I be worth a high end car makers time really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Afterdark posted:

A cinema showing full of kids made it better, a mum just laughing in front of us with her two kids asking what's funny.
Also I wonder why Audi spent money on product placement for this film, there was a blatant few and on TV there is an advert comparing the A5 I think to the Avengers. Wouldn't of thought I be worth a high end car makers time really.

:gonk: The perspiration.

Audi's basically the car of the Marvel universe. Whatever marketing deal they made years ago must be lucrative if they're still going. Iron Man's the most in-your-face about it, since they get to showcase a garage full of luxury cars every time he goes into his lab.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

They're worried about their jobs? "Wear all the Spuds MacKenzie t-shirts you want!" is a more dangerous proposition than "ban Spuds MacKenzie t-shirts", because one of those definitely pisses off powerless students who can't do anything, but the other option might possibly piss off parents, administrators, voters in school board elections, school board members themselves, etc. Causing trouble for the one group has way less risk than possibly being hassled by the other group. Even kids have to make decisions like this, everyone does.

Blend in our stand out. :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Afterdark posted:

I guess that's what happens after that car ad from Southland Tales :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCYB0lzoofc

Seriously though what the gently caress.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Under Armour presents, "Band of Ballers"

Oops!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oops!
t-shirt owns; old white people need to find better poo poo to whine about

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Someone on my facebook posted that and it got racist alarmingly fast. I didn't read all of it, but from what I gather, those basketball players might be black and are probably thugs, which only adds to the inappropriateness. Yep...

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

After my wedding we couldn't get hold of the photographer for nearly 6 months then a cd was slipped through the door containing a mix of full and low res images and I heard shortly afterwards he quit the business. So he never got paid, because how could I? Turns out the photos taken by a friend and guest were actually better through.

I'm sure he tells the story of us being terrible customers who never paid him but seriously if you shut your office and your phone gets cut off how the gently caress can I get in touch?

So you're saying he never ever requested payment? Wow.

Side: As a writer/editor of over 15 years, I definitely agree with the point of view that photos shouldn't be used or watermarked without getting permission from the original photographer. I see a lot of photographers who get hosed over and it sucks.

That said, I have never, ever, ever interacted with a photographer who wasn't a pretentious douchebag, or a guy with basic photography skills passing themselves off as an artist. I'm sure there are many pro photographers who aren't, but I've never met one in the dozens of interactions I've had.

Dumb move in marketing: In 2002, the people of Lauderhille Florida wanted to promote their town with a ceremony for the upcoming Martin Luther King Day. They got celebrated black actor James Earl Jones as their featured speaker, and commemorated a plaque and some stamps. Somewhere along the line, someone hosed up hard:

James Earl Ray shot MLK

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 23:18 on May 17, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

Dumb move in marketing: In 2002, the people of Lauderhille Florida wanted to promote their town with a ceremony for the upcoming Martin Luther King Day. They got celebrated black actor James Earl Jones as their featured speaker, and commemorated a plaque and some stamps. Somewhere along the line, someone hosed up hard:

James Earl Ray shot MLK

lol oops

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oops!

Not seeing the problem here

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Under Armor is foolishly squandering its share of the age 70-90 demographic

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OctoberBlues posted:

Someone on my facebook posted that and it got racist alarmingly fast. I didn't read all of it, but from what I gather, those basketball players might be black and are probably thugs, which only adds to the inappropriateness. Yep...

Isn't organised sports one of the few ways underprivileged black youth have to get out of the ghetto? If people really were against 'urban thugs' or whatever the current racist lingo is, they should be celebrating that shirt.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I really don't see the problem with that shirt at all.
I understand the reference, but how can anyone get offended by that.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

tbs very funny

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Broken Cog posted:

Old folks that were alive in the 1940s love to romanticize and/or sentimentalize WWII as the greatest thing that ever happened in their lifetimes for some ugly and strange reason. Also, the AMURICAH LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT THIS IS ARE COUNTRY mentality of others.

Parody or satire something from both camps, and you've got offended people.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
McDonald's is continuing to rage against the dying of the light....I think we've officially reached the point in industrial capitalism where McDonald's is having its noble, Sean Bean worthy death scene, and it's a sight to behold. Pinkham sums it up better than I can in this little bit on the most odious and absurd commercial in McDonald's recent advertising push:

http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/what-the-hell-is-happening-in-mcdonalds-recent-hamburgl-1704618583

And here's some more lovely, tone deaf stuff for your amusement. #Millenials #Sirloin #FORCETHELOVINDOWNYOURTHROAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri2ehtK2Fus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPcG5npVM94

I gotta admit though, "Enjoy this lovin' while it lasts" is probably the most unintentionally apt slogan McDonald's has yet come up with.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm waiting for McDonald's to try to reinvent itself with organic, dairy free, gluten free burgers.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I can't believe taco bell is somehow the only one who "gets it". It's like if RC Cola suddenly figured out how to outmarket Coke.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Your Sledgehammer posted:

I gotta admit though, "Enjoy this lovin' while it lasts" is probably the most unintentionally apt slogan McDonald's has yet come up with.

"He calls the Sirloin third pound burger from mcdonalds the sirloin third pound burger from mcdonalds.... mainly because there's not enough time to invent a new name for it. Also he's not a young man anymore... its a generational thing. Respect."

What in the gently caress? :wtc: What is even going on in this statement.

I guess the implication is "old people McDonalds isn't for you its for hip cool kidz like us" but wow does it fail.

Gotta love the dude who is clearly in his 30s wearing a backpack so as to attempt to look like a ... teenager? college student?

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:58 on May 18, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Isn't he one of those pretty goobers from New Girl? Also a very popular Millennial show got to hit that demo so.hard hit it so drat hard.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

jojoinnit posted:

I can't believe taco bell is somehow the only one who "gets it". It's like if RC Cola suddenly figured out how to outmarket Coke.

Gotta survive the Franchise Wars eventually somehow.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

jojoinnit posted:

I always felt this way about Cracked. You go from being a much maligned knock off to listcle kings, while your former competitors wallow in obscurity having broken one of the founder's main desires. (Mad magazine having ads is my MTV doesn't play music :argh:)

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

jojoinnit posted:

If you have closed captions on during commercials you can see the subliminal message from TB. That bell sound at the end of the commercial? [bong]

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Your Sledgehammer posted:

McDonald's is continuing to rage against the dying of the light....I think we've officially reached the point in industrial capitalism where McDonald's is having its noble, Sean Bean worthy death scene, and it's a sight to behold. Pinkham sums it up better than I can in this little bit on the most odious and absurd commercial in McDonald's recent advertising push:

http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/what-the-hell-is-happening-in-mcdonalds-recent-hamburgl-1704618583

And here's some more lovely, tone deaf stuff for your amusement. #Millenials #Sirloin #FORCETHELOVINDOWNYOURTHROAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri2ehtK2Fus

Yeah I am sure that all the execs who have watched their stock price quadruple in 10 years are really concerned about the imminent death of their brand

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

grittyreboot posted:

Traditional weddings are for the birds. Especially Catholic weddings. Whose idea was it to force all their friends and family to sit through mass?

Occasionally I find myself obliged to be forced to sit through a Catholic mass, but luckily I have bad hay-fever and the censer sends me into fits of sneezes so I can make my excuses and wait outside playing Angry Birds patiently.

I am physically allergic to church. :dance:

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Broken Cog posted:

Seriously? I mean I'm sure a lot of people are mad because Old Racist White People and Support Are Troops but come on.

The original photo is from an island that was basically a big horrific dirty meat grinder covered in poo poo and rats that nations threw young men into for like a month for no good reason and IIRC like half those guys in the pic were killed before they ever got to leave the island.

It's a clever shirt idea and if someone was selling it on etsy or something, nobody would bat an eye but big companies are generally held to a much more conservative standard and will probably need to wait another couple of generations before they can get away with profiting off the deaths of kids haha oh god who am I kidding.

MonkeyHate has a new favorite as of 21:18 on May 18, 2015

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

hyperhazard posted:

Audi's basically the car of the Marvel universe. Whatever marketing deal they made years ago must be lucrative if they're still going. Iron Man's the most in-your-face about it, since they get to showcase a garage full of luxury cars every time he goes into his lab.

It makes sense, as I imagine Tony Stark would be exactly the sort of rear end in a top hat to tailgate people, honking and flashing his lights at them.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Zaphod42 posted:

"He calls the Sirloin third pound burger from mcdonalds the sirloin third pound burger from mcdonalds....

Wait, are they really trying to market a third pound burger? Take into consideration what happened when A&W tried that:

quote:

One of the most vivid arithmetic failings displayed by Americans occurred in the early 1980s, when the A&W restaurant chain released a new hamburger to rival the McDonald’s Quarter Pounder. With a third-pound of beef, the A&W burger had more meat than the Quarter Pounder; in taste tests, customers preferred A&W’s burger. And it was less expensive. A lavish A&W television and radio marketing campaign cited these benefits. Yet instead of leaping at the great value, customers snubbed it.

Only when the company held customer focus groups did it become clear why. The Third Pounder presented the American public with a test in fractions. And we failed. Misunderstanding the value of one-third, customers believed they were being overcharged. Why, they asked the researchers, should they pay the same amount for a third of a pound of meat as they did for a quarter-pound of meat at McDonald’s. The “4” in “¼,” larger than the “3” in “⅓,” led them astray.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/magazine/why-do-americans-stink-at-math.html

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Bluemillion posted:

Wait, are they really trying to market a third pound burger? Take into consideration what happened when A&W tried that:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/magazine/why-do-americans-stink-at-math.html

Thank you for that, I hadn't yet considered suicide today.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A lot of nicer burger places do 1/3 of a pound per patty, so that could be McDonalds' reasoning, make them seem more like a real restaurant rather than one where the odor of dirty socks wafts in every time the door to the playplace is opened.

22 Eargesplitten has a new favorite as of 23:15 on May 18, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm waiting for McDonald's to try to reinvent itself with organic, dairy free, gluten free burgers.

Well they did just release new "artisan" chicken sandwiches which are more expensive and taste worse than any other chicken sandwich from any chain.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Decrepus posted:

Well they did just release new "artisan" chicken sandwiches which are more expensive and taste worse than any other chicken sandwich from any chain.

But, but Millenials! They seem to like it...in the commercial

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Speaking of Taco Bell getting their customers better, apparently a new one opening in the Wicker Park area of Chicago has applied for a liquor license.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Choco1980 posted:

Speaking of Taco Bell getting their customers better, apparently a new one opening in the Wicker Park area of Chicago has applied for a liquor license.

:stare: The promised land...
I would gain like 50 pounds in a month if I lived anywhere near there.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Bluemillion posted:

:stare: The promised land...
I would gain like 50 pounds in a month if I lived anywhere near there.

Dude, think of your colon. Your poor, poor colon.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Smith & Wesson makes a line of handguns called the M&P.

This is not how to advertise that:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I dunno about you, but that hashtag's got my gun's well-oiled and primed :smug:

Too bad it's a .22

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I don't want to experience bullets, or feel them. In fact I have dedicated a significant portion of my life to not doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Phanatic posted:

Smith & Wesson makes a line of handguns called the M&P.

This is not how to advertise that:

If you think that's bad...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beKVrPW0LLQ
:commissar:

also I keep reading that hashtag as Man DP