Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
In other news, apparently the FCC wants to give hams secondary privileges on 2200m (1 watt EIRP) and 630m (5 watts EIRP) across the same range as a lot of the rest of the world, and the 1.9-2.0 section of 160m could be raised to primary.

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/fcc-proposes-to-permit-amateur-access-to-2200-and-630-meters

I guess good news for those who like low bitrate digital modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jonny 290 posted:

old-solder-balls

mods????

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
If the system designers are nice they'll include a pilot tone or something to let people align their receivers, SDR systems could probably autocal off something like that pretty easily.

Gonna dismantle a satellite LNB some time and check how they're built, hopefully there's a PLL at the heart of it that can be fed with a stable reference from the radio.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

wolrah posted:

In other news, apparently the FCC wants to give hams secondary privileges on 2200m (1 watt EIRP) and 630m (5 watts EIRP) across the same range as a lot of the rest of the world, and the 1.9-2.0 section of 160m could be raised to primary.

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/fcc-proposes-to-permit-amateur-access-to-2200-and-630-meters

I guess good news for those who like low bitrate digital modes.

To be fair, this is what a loading coil for that band looks like. The trash can gives you a pretty good sense of scale.

You could pump quite a bit of power into that before hitting 1W EIRP. Unless of course you have some crazy acreage for something more efficient. :shepface:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah you run 100w into a 1% efficient antenna on 136

Also I looked up DB6NT transverter prices - you can get 200mw of 10ghz or 20 mw of 24ghz for 400 bucks kit form, or 600 bucks assembled. That's reasonable as hell imo.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Some quick newbie questions while I study for my tech exam next month.

1. For APRS broadcasting, if I install a transmitter in my car would it be against FCC rules if my wife drives it to the grocery store while I'm not in the car?

2. I've read a good bit on how to setup said APRS transmitter, but am lost on figuring out what I would need at home to receive the broadcasts and decode them? I think I would need to make a digipeater?

Oh and all this microwave chat is confusing as all hell but sounds awesome for combing radio with my kerbal obsession.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

1. For APRS broadcasting, if I install a transmitter in my car would it be against FCC rules if my wife drives it to the grocery store while I'm not in the car?

You would still be considered the control operator, so this should be fine. Just like when people use APRS on unmanned balloons and the like.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

2. I've read a good bit on how to setup said APRS transmitter, but am lost on figuring out what I would need at home to receive the broadcasts and decode them? I think I would need to make a digipeater?

You don't need much of anything more than a way to receive 144.39 and software to decode the broadcasts.

A digipeater is to receive and then retransmit and APRS broadcasts.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Motronic posted:

You would still be considered the control operator, so this should be fine. Just like when people use APRS on unmanned balloons and the like.

You don't need much of anything more than a way to receive 144.39 and software to decode the broadcasts.

A digipeater is to receive and then retransmit and APRS broadcasts.

Thanks! In that case I wonder if I could use my SDR dongle to try catching data for now till I get my license.

fake edit: Yep I can, guess I should have just looked on youtube to begin with.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Thanks! In that case I wonder if I could use my SDR dongle to try catching data for now till I get my license.

fake edit: Yep I can, guess I should have just looked on youtube to begin with.

you sure can!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

That's a perfect setup for this. No problems trying to get a radio/scanner to play nice on the line in to your computer.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
You can also just check the aprs signal reports on a site like aprs.fi

Edit: I mean for utility, far be it from me to suggest you should build a receiver.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 4, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I got a 50 foot roll of RG-62 in the mail.

If you want a few feet for an eggbeater/potato masher phasing harness, i'll kick you a chunk for shipping cost when it gets here

while supplies last

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So having to wait to take my tech exam is killing my instant gratification and impulse purchase vices. As such I'd like to buy a receiver/scanner that can trawl the local repeater and EMS/Police frequencies.

Google keeps throwing this model at me http://www.uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=BC355N, but would love to get some actual recommendations before I end up buying a piece of junk through sheer ignorance.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So having to wait to take my tech exam is killing my instant gratification and impulse purchase vices. As such I'd like to buy a receiver/scanner that can trawl the local repeater and EMS/Police frequencies.

Google keeps throwing this model at me http://www.uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=BC355N, but would love to get some actual recommendations before I end up buying a piece of junk through sheer ignorance.

You sure they aren't using a digital system? Without knowing where you're located or what you want to listen to we can't give you much advice.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

PuTTY riot posted:

You sure they aren't using a digital system? Without knowing where you're located or what you want to listen to we can't give you much advice.

All of my local stuff is still analog. I can pick up all the local towns around me on an SDR#, and would just like to upgrade a bit to something that I can drag around with me a bit more since my only computer is a desktop atm.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nah those little preset ones are garbage

BC-75XLT is a pretty good little scanbox and you can actually punch a frequency in. Doesn't cover 800 mhz but it doesn't trunk anyways. Nice simple little radio, even after you get your license and a ham rig it'll be useful.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

SpaceCadetBob posted:

All of my local stuff is still analog. I can pick up all the local towns around me on an SDR#, and would just like to upgrade a bit to something that I can drag around with me a bit more since my only computer is a desktop atm.

Got an Android Phone?
http://sdrtouch.com/

Works with my Moto X, but I have to hub it because it draws too much power from the USB port.

Or, just get the two-way that you want and don't push the talk button.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There's usually a way to program memories with the talk inhibited on 2-ways if you're worried.

The trick for cheap Chinese HTs is often to set a repeater offset so high that the TX freq is outside operable range.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

There's usually a way to program memories with the talk inhibited on 2-ways if you're worried.

The trick for cheap Chinese HTs is often to set a repeater offset so high that the TX freq is outside operable range.

FWIW you can turn off the transmit entirely with chirp and a programming cable. But the baofengs suck as scanners, they're so slow at it.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for all the input.

I'm willing to be a bit spendy if it means I get a device that is good at scanning quickly and accurately. From what I was reading that a lot of HTs for hams don't necessarily scan police bands very well?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Dielectric posted:

Got an Android Phone?
http://sdrtouch.com/

Works with my Moto X, but I have to hub it because it draws too much power from the USB port.
I use my RTL-SDR with sdrtouch and one of these to supply power on an old cell phone. It's a little fiddly (everything has to be plugged into the OTG cable before plugging it into the phone) but it seems to work well.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

"We hosed up the injection molding and it cost like loving infinity dollars to get them to retool."

Now they've shipped my SDRPlay but:

As promised your RSP was picked up by our shipping agent on Monday 11th of May and is now on its way to you via Deutsche Post DHL.

Unfortunately, due to an error at our shipping agent, we are unable to provide you with a tracking number.

:argh:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I dunno whether or not there's a dedicated SDR thread, so pardon me if babby's first SDR questions don't belong here. I'm looking at getting an RTL-SDR (namely this one) for monitoring 1090 MhZ for ADS-B. What type of connectors do I need for the antenna so I can get a longer one?
An aside, Amazon suggests I get UHF SO239 PL259 female to MCX male right angle and SMA male to MCX male connectors. Are these necessary for just plugging the SDR into a Raspberry Pi?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Spaced God posted:

I dunno whether or not there's a dedicated SDR thread, so pardon me if babby's first SDR questions don't belong here. I'm looking at getting an RTL-SDR (namely this one) for monitoring 1090 MhZ for ADS-B. What type of connectors do I need for the antenna so I can get a longer one?
An aside, Amazon suggests I get UHF SO239 PL259 female to MCX male right angle and SMA male to MCX male connectors. Are these necessary for just plugging the SDR into a Raspberry Pi?

I used an MCX to SO239 pigtail. Amazon has 'em.

Those are for the antenna connections only. The RTLSDR is USB, so you'd just plug it directly into one of your USB ports.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Spaced God posted:

For ADS-B the stock antenna should work OK, so I wouldn't worry about getting any of the adapters you listed.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

manero posted:

I used an MCX to SO239 pigtail. Amazon has 'em.

Those are for the antenna connections only. The RTLSDR is USB, so you'd just plug it directly into one of your USB ports.

The only MCX to SO239s I could find are 20cm long. Do they not make them longer?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nmfree posted:

For ADS-B the stock antenna should work OK, so I wouldn't worry about getting any of the adapters you listed.

Stock antennas are definitely fine for ADS-B. My computer is on the partially underground level of a split-level with the stock 4" rubber duck stuck to the top of a file cabinet (putting it roughly at street level) and I still have about 30-60 miles of range depending on direction. Here's a screenshot from Virtual Radar Server showing the max range it's seen:

Grey is below 10k feet, green is 10k-20k, purple is 20k-30k, and red is over 30k. Range circles are at 20 mile intervals. It's been running since Friday around 10 AM other than when my PC goes to sleep at night.

Obviously the range is reduced for aircraft closer to ground level by terrain, but an antenna alone won't help that without being higher off the ground. There's a hill to my north and two cities between me and CLE otherwise there would probably be a lot of traffic visible out that way.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Spaced God posted:

The only MCX to SO239s I could find are 20cm long. Do they not make them longer?

I should have expanded my response.. then buy coax with PL-259's, and plug it all into a better antenna :v:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Actually you can just use regular cable tv cable. Just get an adapter like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121400953790?lpid=82&chn=ps. Then make a coax collinear antenna. Bam. $4 and a few things you probably already have lying around and you've got a real nice antenna. Spend another $3 and make a nice PVC enclosure for it. Just don't get schedule 40.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

Someone will get very clever about homebrew techniques and we'll all know or someone else will crank out the right gear (test or otherwise) from China. Or likely both.

Bro I am building that poo poo TODAY

18 foot antenna in progress for my baofeng.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 23, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
SUVs with sunroofs are great cause you can get your chain link fence top rail antenna masts home

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

SUVs with sunroofs are great cause you can get your chain link fence top rail antenna masts home

What if I told you I can remove the entire roof, and also the doors and front windshield? Great excuse to wear goggles on the freeway! I'm probably going to have to do that actually to make the final delivery for that thing.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 23, 2015

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

You joke about this but guys do that for the January/June VHF contests. Drop the end of the mast into a cup holder and put it up out the sunroof, so you can rotate beams. Obviously you don't do this while driving but still.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if I ever have a hardcore beater radio truck again im going to get a little bitty beam up on one of these

we have one in the bus and it's joyful

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
picked up a 100%, late-run (fixes performed), clean as a whistle icom 746 pro WITH an SM-20 desk mike for a pretty laugh worthy price 600 plus shipping

so excited :D real DSP

officially unloading my 271a and maybe a mobile rig

Goontastic
Feb 2, 2011
Question about VE's.

I know they are reimbursed for travel expenses, but is that if they are one of the graders/regulars?

Or is that if they show up at all a la "hey can i show up to your exam session since I'm a VE"? and they say sure you could as well?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm t+2 days on the Icom 746 and have already landed several grids and my first DX VHF contact (XE2CB out of DM12 just over the border) on six meters

this is incredible fun i'm hooked i'm buying a beam. radio hasn't been this magic for me in years

the e-skip may be helping juuuuust a little bit today

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Passed the technician exam today. :toot:

Also did the General exam since hey, I'd already paid for the test, got 20/35, so it shouldn't be much of a problem once I actually study for it.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I've decided this amateur radio stuff sounds fun. I got my study guide and a copy of the ARRL license manual coming in the mail this week.

Do you guys generally take practice tests for The technical/general or is this just a "study and you'll be fine" affair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Hamstudy.org is where it's at IMO