Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Summer mode:

Got a good deal on some 2009 CTS rims.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

LloydDobler posted:

I've spent a lot of time fantasizing about selling all 3 of my current cars and buying one of those instead. I won't, but I fantasize about it.

There's a guy on campus that drives one that I drool over constantly. It sounds lovely even at low speed and looks amazing in person.

Some of the cars I see around Emory's campus are ridiculous. As bad as the roads (and drivers) are in Atlanta I can't imagine buying your college-aged kid a Lamborghini or Ferrari.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ted Turner has to do something to keep his mistresses quiet.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Considering buying one of these, are they too old man and not cool to be part of this thread?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Oodles posted:

Considering buying one of these, are they too old man and not cool to be part of this thread?

They're actually really nice.

And the diesel engines are toooooooorquey. 2.4 140bhp ones, they fly.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Mooseykins posted:

They're actually really nice.

And the diesel engines are toooooooorquey. 2.4 140bhp ones, they fly.

It's something boring like a Mondeo, or something to scratch the inner itch. Like

I'm getting shot of a 3.0 Saloon B7 A4. Having 3 girls in the family means I don't have a hope in hell of fitting all the holiday crap in the boot. That, and it's going to cost me £2k to get through its MOT in September, I want to make that someone else's problem. Rather than spending 2k and having a too small car, I want to spend 2k and part-ex my car to get something that's more practical.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Oodles posted:

It's something boring like a Mondeo, or something to scratch the inner itch. Like

I'm getting shot of a 3.0 Saloon B7 A4. Having 3 girls in the family means I don't have a hope in hell of fitting all the holiday crap in the boot. That, and it's going to cost me £2k to get through its MOT in September, I want to make that someone else's problem. Rather than spending 2k and having a too small car, I want to spend 2k and part-ex my car to get something that's more practical.

Depends what you want from it. The VRS will be much more fun, and you can get it in diesel too (170bhp) so retain decent fuel economy.

If it was between those two i'd have the VRS 100%.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Mooseykins posted:

Depends what you want from it. The VRS will be much more fun, and you can get it in diesel too (170bhp) so retain decent fuel economy.

If it was between those two i'd have the VRS 100%.

I'm veering towards the vrs. Got to wait a couple of weeks to get some bodywork done on the audi, but once I get something I'll report back in.

Dad chat itt

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Oodles posted:

I'm veering towards the vrs. Got to wait a couple of weeks to get some bodywork done on the audi, but once I get something I'll report back in.

Dad chat itt

I really want a pre-facelift E350 CDI, dunno if wagon or saloon though.

I mean, i can't afford it and have £8k of car and van to pay off first, but i can dream, right?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I got a station wagon. It was $1000.

Currently, I'm not driving it pending scrounging enough money to get the transmission input seal fixed (and to buy sway bars and have them installed at the same time, since that's a 25-minute job with the rest of the stuff out). It's got 184,000 miles and is in amazing condition other than the seal.

It wagons well:

for points, spot where I keep the three quarts of ATF

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

for points, spot where I keep the three quarts of ATF

Its in the gravel isn't it?

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
Doing what I bought it for. I love this thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

atomicthumbs posted:

I got a station wagon. It was $1000.

Hoooooooooly poo poo, a V70R for a grand? Nice deal!

Is it pissing ATF out the bellhousing? If it's the seal between gearbox and torque converter that's usually quite easy if you can get the box out, as they're big seals.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

Hoooooooooly poo poo, a V70R for a grand? Nice deal!

Is it pissing ATF out the bellhousing? If it's the seal between gearbox and torque converter that's usually quite easy if you can get the box out, as they're big seals.

Yeah, the problem is I don't own an engine hoist or transmission jack or garage or even a relatively flat piece of pavement.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

atomicthumbs posted:

Yeah, the problem is I don't own an engine hoist or transmission jack or garage or even a relatively flat piece of pavement.

Well that does make it harder.

If it makes you feel any better, i changed the clutch on a FWD van outside, in the rain, on a gravel driveway the other day.

It was loving horrendous.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So I was trolling craigslist for something with 4 doors, economical and dead reliable to daily, with a manual transmission.

Had pretty much resigned to buying a corolla, when I came across a car (well technically a trim) that I had never heard of.

Matrix XRS. 6 speed, 180 HP, 8200 rpm redline, 11.5:1 CR. I'd call it a wagon with the extra window and pillar. Apparently it has more interior volume than a wrx. It's still an economy car (28-31 mpg), and clunky in its ways, but enough fun to keep me entertained.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Was the Matrix offered with AWD and the 6 speed or am I on crack?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Matrix came with AWD as an option, and 6-speed manual in the first gen but not the second.

So says wiki.

I know this because my GF wants me to get a Matrix, and has tried to sell the idea by appealing to my desire for AWD and funstuff like a high-reving engine. It's working.

Nice find.

Also that V70R AWD for $1000 is making me hurt, deep inside. Even with expensive, not-doable-by-me repairs it's a screaming deal and I am intensely jealous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gotcha. My ex bought a Matrix brand new after I convinced her she did not need an SUV to get all of 4 miles to work every day. Within 6 months of our breakup she traded it in on a brand new Landrcuiser or Highlander, I forget which.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think the XRS was FWD only though. They made a Corolla XRS too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A 6 speed AWD Matrix would make an awesome DD/beater.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

CharlesM posted:

I think the XRS was FWD only though. They made a Corolla XRS too.

I swear Toyota does this on purpose to limit the possibility of optioning out a fun version of their cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

8ender posted:

I swear Toyota does this on purpose to limit the possibility of optioning out a fun version of their cars.

Toyota hates fun. I'm terrified by this new Mazda/Toyota venture. They're going to sink their fangs into Mazda and suck all the fun out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Rhyno posted:

Toyota hates fun. I'm terrified by this new Mazda/Toyota venture. They're going to sink their fangs into Mazda and suck all the fun out.

I feel like they already did this to Subaru. They upped their stake in them and suddenly the Legacy looks like a Camry and they're getting rid of the hatchback WRX.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

8ender posted:

I feel like they already did this to Subaru. They upped their stake in them and suddenly the Legacy looks like a Camry and they're getting rid of the hatchback WRX.

Unnnnng. This doesn't look good for Mazda at all. The Miata is going to be FWD and auto only the way things are going.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

VacaGrande posted:

Doing what I bought it for. I love this thing.

I want one of those for my wife but we don't really neeeeeeeed a wagon for her yet.

Are the first gen V70Rs as much of a nightmare to maintain as the second gen?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

blk posted:

I'm not sure about the second gen, but I do know I need to keep the tires rotated religiously or the AWD system will give up the ghost.

Fortunately, I know that's been done until now because of the maintenance spreadsheet that seller sent me, which has everything on it since the first owner had it aligned at 740 miles.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

angryrobots posted:

So I was trolling craigslist for something with 4 doors, economical and dead reliable to daily, with a manual transmission.

Had pretty much resigned to buying a corolla, when I came across a car (well technically a trim) that I had never heard of.

Matrix XRS. 6 speed, 180 HP, 8200 rpm redline, 11.5:1 CR. I'd call it a wagon with the extra window and pillar. Apparently it has more interior volume than a wrx. It's still an economy car (28-31 mpg), and clunky in its ways, but enough fun to keep me entertained.

Engine is essentially the same as in a Lotus Elise/Exige. The transmission might be too?
Allegedly the Exige supercharger will bolt on.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

nm posted:

Engine is essentially the same as in a Lotus Elise/Exige. The transmission might be too?
Allegedly the Exige supercharger will bolt on.

I have found conflicting information about this, but I think the boosted versions had a lower compression ratio. There was also a supercharged corolla in Europe. So there's parts out there but frankly it can't put down the power it has already. The clutch is grabby and with so little low end torque, quickly making a left hand turn at an intersection in traffic means spinning the inside tire.

Also I'm jealous of that 1k v70r, I would have jumped on that too.

blk posted:

Nah they're not nearly the special snowflakes that the 03-07 are. The awd is pretty reliable if you don't do clutch drops and keep the tires rotated.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 17, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

angryrobots posted:

Also I'm jealous of that 1k v70r, I would have jumped on that too.

Nah they're not nearly the special snowflakes that the 03-07 are. The awd is pretty reliable if you don't do clutch drops and keep the tires rotated.

Not shown: $490 to have it shipped from San Diego to the Bay Area. I decided "gently caress it" when I saw this thing after an entire year of having 850 Turbos, Rs, and V70Rs bought out from under me because either the seller was a dick or the seller listed them on a Friday when I work Fridays and Saturdays, and I jumped on it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

8ender posted:

They probably didn't want to engineer an AWD system for it. They took the drivetrain from the Celica GT-S which never got an AWD version for the 7th gen.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

8ender posted:

Wait, I thought Subaru and Toyota were owned by the same parent company. Why would they be buying shares in a company owned by their parent company? That sounds like a waste of money.

A 6 speed AWD matrix kind of sounds fun, even if the engine is only 138 or so. Not as fun as an MR-S, which has the same engine with 700 less pounds, but a lot more practical.

fake edit: Oh, they only had the 6 speed AWD in canada.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, I thought Subaru and Toyota were owned by the same parent company. Why would they be buying shares in a company owned by their parent company? That sounds like a waste of money.

Because they aren’t?
Both Toyota and FHI have small stakes in each other, share the FRS\BRZ, and SVA makes some Toyotas in Indiana.
Toyota owns 16% of FHI and FHI owns a very small part of Toyota.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Huh. Was Fuji the parent company of Toyota at any point? I thought for years they were.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Huh. Was Fuji the parent company of Toyota at any point? I thought for years they were.

No. Toyota owns 15-20% of FHI though (previously less, then they bought GM's share).

Off the top of my head I don't recall any other auto company owning a significant interest in Toyota ever.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

blk posted:

I want one of those for my wife but we don't really neeeeeeeed a wagon for her yet.

Just buy it already. Once you've lived with a wagon, you won't want to go back to a sedan. The practicality isn't something you'll need everyday, but when you do, you'll be glad you have it.

Plus they all look better than their sedan counterparts.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

DropShadow posted:

Just buy it already. Once you've lived with a wagon, you won't want to go back to a sedan. The practicality isn't something you'll need everyday, but when you do, you'll be glad you have it.

Plus they all look better than their sedan counterparts.

My Saabaru is filling in our five door requirements for now - she has a Civic that has a lot of life left in it so we'll probably keep that until it feels too small.

blk fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 18, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

8ender posted:

It's the same with most Japanese cars - the 4wd version is for people who live somewhere with lots of snow, not something that is supposed to be fun.

Was the same deal with the 4wd versions of the Civic/Integra, Pulsar, Mazda 3 etc

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah the Matrix AWD system was for getting you moving on ice and snow and that's it. The coupler that drives the rear wheels (as well as the rear diff and driveline- the AWD driveshaft is a goddamn drinking straw) are barely able to take the thundering 120hp the 1ZZ puts out (they even derated the engine by 5-10hp for the AWD version) and it's so front-biased that it really only starts to put power to the rears when you're into some serious wheelspin. A 2ZZ/6spd would tear it apart. Not to mention the fact that the chassis of the Matrix/Vibe is horrendously sloppy so it takes more bracing and stiffening than suspension work to make them handle in even a reasonably predictable manner. That's not to say it isn't fun to throw it into a corner at speed, watch what it throws back at you and force it into compliance, but it'll never be a track car.
That said, zero regrets buying my Vibe except that I should have waited for an XRS or Vibe GT. I'd have been a lot happier with a 2ZZ, the extra power would probably have kept me satisfied with the car for another couple years.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

115 hp in a 3000+ lb car? Noooope. I'll take the 5-speed in my OBS over that. I'd even take the 2.5 liter OBS over that, head gaskets be damned.

• Locked thread