Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Arriviste posted:

While waiting for the bus at the grocery store Friday, I saw a pony that puzzled me. The owner came out as I was debating whether or not I would have time to get closer for snapshots. He and I chatted for a couple of minutes as he loaded his groceries, then he agreed to take a moment for pictures with his Mercury Capri.

He said it was a 1978 that he bought for his son when he turned sixteen. After junior was done with it, the gentleman took it back and restored it. I think it's really a 1979; regardless, it looked quite sharp for its age. Wish I could have seen the dash, but he seemed pretty anxious to get seated and I didn't want to take any more of his time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUKuxKNwgrc

My cousin got a '79 Mustang for high school graduation - it was creamsicle orange with a white vinyl interior. Pinto engine, 4-speed manual, AM/FM stereo radio, A/C, and rear defroster. She traded it in for a new Mustang in the mid-90s and deeply regrets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
Good news this month is I plan on proposing to my girlfriend of two years. But how do I ask her father? Ive lived with them for a substantial amount of time. I know he doesn't actively hate me. But how do I ask my inlaws for their blessings?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Echotic posted:

Good news this month is I plan on proposing to my girlfriend of two years. But how do I ask her father? Ive lived with them for a substantial amount of time. I know he doesn't actively hate me. But how do I ask my inlaws for their blessings?

Congrats! Take him out for a beer or golf or bowling or something like that as a "guys only" thing. Then just explain that you plan on asking his daughter to marry you and would like his blessing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

HAHAHA what the actual gently caress is that guy huffing

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
My dad's been tinkering on an old golf cart for my mom to use as a sort of motorized gardening cart.

So I did something dumb.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 17, 2015

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Sandbagger SA posted:

My dad's been tinkering on an old golf cart for my mom to use as a sort of motorized gardening cart.

So I did something dumb.

Heee. Give it a brushy tail.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sandbagger SA posted:

So I did something wonderful.

Fixed that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Please replace them with googly eyes that move when you turn.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Arriviste posted:

Heee. Give it a brushy tail.

It's going to have a basket on the back for potting soil/bags of bird feed/shovels/whatever people use for gardening but I did think about ridiculous tail for it.

nm posted:

Please replace them with googly eyes that move when you turn.

Man, now I wish I'd done THAT.

maybe if I can find a set of googly eyes about 6" in diameter

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 17, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cat Terrist posted:

HAHAHA what the actual gently caress is that guy huffing

Why did I read the comments

Why

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I think it's awesome that the movie is so successful at trolling MRA's into publicly admitting the lunacy of their beliefs.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Mini Vans are stupid

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

We weren't feeling like making dinner last night since the kitchen and house were clean so we went to firehouse subs for some sandwiches. After taking my order I saw they had Apple pay and used it. I've only been able to use it a handful of times and I know that this kind of tech has been around for a while but drat if it didn't work so slick and market it in that sexy Apple It Just Works(TM) way.

I'm looking forward to getting a mini van. It'll be a Honda Odyssey when it happens. I have no interest in an SUV. When it comes to moving kids/people mini vans own.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

Oh of course, I'm not suggesting that's a "real" test, but if we're talking about the most basic of verification like "where is this cable broken or detached" that gets you started. [Then he can drag the cable modem and laptop around if they pass basic continuity.

Which is exactly what I did. Went to the outside box, disconnected the main line from the splitter, hooked it up to my modem, aaaaaaand nothing. Get on phone with Comcast tech support who asked me four times to connect to a different outlet, so the convo went like this:
:byodame: sir may I ask you to connect to a different outlet?
:shepface: no, I am connected to the main line, with no splitters.
:byodame: OK sir, provisioning modem
:byodame: OK sir, any change in the lights?
:shepface: no, solid green power, solid blue green downstream, flashing blue upstream

This went on four times before I finally lost my cool and all but yelled into the phone:

"I AM OUTSIDE. I AM CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THE CABLE COMING OUT OF THE GROUND. THERE ARE NO OTHER OUTLETS. THERE ARE NO SPLITTERS. THERE ARE BIRDS, THERE'S SQUIRRELS, THERE'S GRASS, AND TREES. IF IT WILL ALLOW YOU TO GET TO THE NEXT STEP IN THE SCRIPT ON YOUR SCREEN, I'LL GO INSIDE AND CONNECT TO AN OUTLET THAT ISN'T CONNECTED TO ANYTHING"

:byodame: OK sir let me know when it's connected.

:suicide:

Then they finally say there's a problem with the outside line and they will have a tech out Monday between noon and 7pm. I tried to tell her I don't need an inside tech, I need someone to check the main line from the hub to my house (which is 200 feet away). 10 buck says they send an inside tech who is going to say, "Yup, outside line is fried. Gonna need to send an outside line tech. They will call to set up an appointment.". Then he'll be all "see ya later, shitlord" and ride off into the sunset.

That's not even the kicker...

AT&T had a tech show up to the houses on either side of me this morning. I was walking by and happened to see the van parked on the street. I went running outside and talked to him as he was walking out and explained what happened (same thing as the neighbors) and asked if he could hook up a new NAG.

:byodood: let me check.
10 minutes goes by while he's in is van. I'm sitting on my porch waiting and he hops out, gets his cones, and starts to leave. I flag him down and plead that YOU ARE RIGHT HERE. IT'S SIXTY FEET AWAY. Says ATT won't let him, and I'll have to wait until the scheduled appointment. Beg for a new network access gateway. Can't get one.

loving fucks.....

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

Mini Vans are stupid

YOU DONT KNOW MY LIFE

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sandbagger SA posted:

So I did something dumb.

No flamethrower? No spikes? No blood bag on the front?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Mini Vans are stupid

Yeah this.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tide posted:

I flag him down and plead that YOU ARE RIGHT HERE. IT'S SIXTY FEET AWAY. Says ATT won't let him, and I'll have to wait until the scheduled appointment. Beg for a new network access gateway. Can't get one.

loving fucks.....

Not sticking up for these guys, but a friend is a tech for Mediacom here, he says he if goes beyond what his work order says, he gets bitched at for doing extra work. Plus they have tattlers in the trucks, they are so micro managed its a joke. So he just does what he is told to do and does no more. He feels like a dick when he can't do anything, but its the way they want to run the company.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Yeah, Mad Max is amazing. Go see it right now.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Seriously, Go see Mad Max. It's such an amazing movie from start to finish.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I literally watched it last night and bought imax 3d tickets for.tonight

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Not sticking up for these guys, but a friend is a tech for Mediacom here, he says he if goes beyond what his work order says, he gets bitched at for doing extra work. Plus they have tattlers in the trucks, they are so micro managed its a joke. So he just does what he is told to do and does no more. He feels like a dick when he can't do anything, but its the way they want to run the company.

I get that, I really do. There's likely a liability provision in place. But IF he called in to see if he could go ahead and attend to service and they said no? Thats lovely.

Plus I would expect that they would have a system in place that would align techs with other houses in the same area; especially for a house in between two other houses with the same reported issue.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit for a relatively simple system in place.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tide posted:

I get that, I really do. There's likely a liability provision in place. But IF he called in to see if he could go ahead and attend to service and they said no? Thats lovely.

Plus I would expect that they would have a system in place that would align techs with other houses in the same area; especially for a house in between two other houses with the same reported issue.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit for a relatively simple system in place.

He used to call it in, but they always make him schedule it out (2-3 days) even if his work order is completely finished, they don't allow it. It could be different for AT&T, but thats what he has to deal with it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I met a girl a long time ago, but I let her go, and then I had to see her with a different man.

However, today we are reunitied. Say hello to Ramona!

1987 Toyota Corolla FX-16 with just under 109,000 miles. Belonged to an ex girlfriend of mine, who then sold it to a mutual friend, and today he sold it to me (he got a Mini). It needs a clutch, and my buddy has a suspicion the headgasket might be leaking slightly. It is also eerily quiet compared to driving the Miata. Unless you step on the gas, because my buddy had what the exhaust shop called "one half of a 350z exhaust" installed and it is delightfully raspy/brappy for such a car.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

After reading up on the build, I think it's safe to say Doof Wagon = Best wagon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nodoze posted:

Mini Vans are stupid

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
STOP JUDGING ME

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

STOP JUDGING ME

You are only allowed to get one if you turn it into a Doof Wagon

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cat Terrist posted:

You are only allowed to get one if you turn it into a Doof Wagon

STOP SPOILING THE MOVIE FOR ME

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Swallow your pride and buy a forester

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

ssjonizuka posted:

Anyone know any good mechanics around Boston/Hanover area? BIL keeps getting"cats need to be replaced" on his 03 v8 4 runner, but they're also always finding something else while they are at it.

So, that's a no?

kastein posted:

Swallow your pride and buy a forester

Something something lesbian joke.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 18, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Had a really long talk with the girlfriend last night, she would prefer I do not take ownership of Dad's Golf so Dad and I might go back to selling it. I haven't decided. She said is fine with an extra car but she would prefer I pick up something with a slushbox as she still isn't comfortable with a manual and can't do so well with them in stop and god traffic.
I figure between half of the Golf and flipping a finished Civic I might have about $5000 to play with so I might seriously look into that minivan or a wagon or something.

I'd stay away from Mazda MPV's the transmissions are garbage and the motors aren't very good either. Techs hated them when I worked for Mazda.

Get a 6 wagon instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

I'd stay away from Mazda MPV's the transmissions are garbage and the motors aren't very good either. Techs hated them when I worked for Mazda.

Get a 6 wagon instead.

Didn't you tell me the Protege 5's were not bad? There's a ton of them for sale within 100 miles of me.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So I'm at Mad Max right now and I just ran into the guys from Kids in the Hall.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Didn't you tell me the Protege 5's were not bad? There's a ton of them for sale within 100 miles of me.

Yeah the 5's are great, but I can't remember which autos are in them and if they're any good or not.

I'd rather have a 6 wagon because they're not much more if the same amount of money, P5's are kind of inflated, at least around here anyway. For the price of a P5 I could get a nice 6 wagon for not a whole lot more.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

So I'm at Mad Max right now and I just ran into the guys from Kids in the Hall.

I love those guys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Yeah the 5's are great, but I can't remember which autos are in them and if they're any good or not.

I'd rather have a 6 wagon because they're not much more if the same amount of money, P5's are kind of inflated, at least around here anyway. For the price of a P5 I could get a nice 6 wagon for not a whole lot more.

It's the other way around here, a 6 wagon that isn't hosed to high hell is a unicorn. MP5's are everywhere.

The moral of the story is, the Miata stays, the MS6 stays. I will find a winter beater with a slushbox by October.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kastein posted:

Swallow your pride and buy a WAR RIG

Seats eight, perfect for dysopian parking lots and road raging.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Everything you guys said about Mad Max is true. Charlize Theron is fantastic in it too.

Remember me?! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tide posted:

Which is exactly what I did. Went to the outside box, disconnected the main line from the splitter, hooked it up to my modem, aaaaaaand nothing. Get on phone with Comcast tech support who asked me four times to connect to a different outlet, so the convo went like this:
:shepface: no, I am connected to the main line, with no splitters.
:byodame: OK sir, provisioning modem
:byodame: OK sir, any change in the lights?
:shepface: no, solid green power, solid blue green downstream, flashing blue upstream

This went on four times before I finally lost my cool and all but yelled into the phone:

"I AM OUTSIDE. I AM CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THE CABLE COMING OUT OF THE GROUND. THERE ARE NO OTHER OUTLETS. THERE ARE NO SPLITTERS. THERE ARE BIRDS, THERE'S SQUIRRELS, THERE'S GRASS, AND TREES. IF IT WILL ALLOW YOU TO GET TO THE NEXT STEP IN THE SCRIPT ON YOUR SCREEN, I'LL GO INSIDE AND CONNECT TO AN OUTLET THAT ISN'T CONNECTED TO ANYTHING"

:byodame: OK sir let me know when it's connected.

:suicide:

Then they finally say there's a problem with the outside line and they will have a tech out Monday between noon and 7pm. I tried to tell her I don't need an inside tech, I need someone to check the main line from the hub to my house (which is 200 feet away). 10 buck says they send an inside tech who is going to say, "Yup, outside line is fried. Gonna need to send an outside line tech. They will call to set up an appointment.". Then he'll be all "see ya later, shitlord" and ride off into the sunset.

Time Warner pulled the exact same poo poo with me, in the same scenario (sitting outside with the modem plugged into the coax coming out of the ground). That's when you just mute the phone for a minute, then unmute it, make some shuffling noises, and say "okay it's on a new outlet". :downsgun: I used to work in TWC "2nd level tech support", they're absolutely useless and get ripped a new rear end in a top hat if they even deviate from the script by 1 word. You will never actually talk to someone who works directly for TWC; the call centers are contracted out, so are the techs that show up. The only way you'll ever meet someone who actually gets a paycheck from TWC is if you go to one of their local offices to obtain/return equipment.

The best part is after I said "it's on a new outlet", about a minute later the tech said "okay, I see your modem has connected" (no, it has not connected, and it never will connect until someone comes out to fix the line. And I got sick of watching the flashing light and unplugged it 2 minutes into the call anyway). I asked him how he could tell a modem that wasn't even plugged in to power had connected. :downs: (I was always told to bullshit the customer when I worked on the TWC team at that call center, do anything it takes to avoid sending a truck out).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 18, 2015

• Locked thread