Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

baquerd posted:

If I were the seller, I probably wouldn't give in, but it can't hurt to ask. You saw the house and inspected it, right? And saw a bunch of other houses? You understood the actual size of the house you were buying, there's just a numbers difference.

Yeah, that's all totally true. Honestly it probably doesn't actually effect whether we'd want the house, but hopefully we can get a small concession from the seller

We haven't done any inspections yet, that's being done this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

QuarkJets posted:

It was a typo, the ones and tens digits got swapped. Like if you were to type 30 instead of 03. The house is roughly 1500 sqft, so it's not a huge difference in square footage at least.

Should I ask for some sort of closing credit? I usually use $/sqft when evaluating whether I want to submit an offer. Based on the tax records (so as to only evaluate the house, and not house + land), we're looking at a difference of thousands of dollars. Maybe ask for half the difference, since it seems like an innocent mistake?
I would, and I'd be willing to walk away over it. It's funny how these sorts of errors never seem to happen the other way around. It's never "oops, turns out you're getting more than you thought."

Houses are routinely appraised on $/square foot. 30 square feet is thousands of dollars. You could always tell them, "So, we agreed on $105 per square foot, right?" before you share your findings. You'll probably find out real quick if it was an innocent typo or deliberate. If it was deliberate, I'd walk away immediately. If they're lying about poo poo like that, there's probably a dozen more things you haven't found yet. It's like the New England Patriots. Cheaters cheat. They don't cheat once and then not cheat any more.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Dik Hz posted:

I would, and I'd be willing to walk away over it. It's funny how these sorts of errors never seem to happen the other way around. It's never "oops, turns out you're getting more than you thought."

Houses are routinely appraised on $/square foot. 30 square feet is thousands of dollars. You could always tell them, "So, we agreed on $105 per square foot, right?" before you share your findings. You'll probably find out real quick if it was an innocent typo or deliberate. If it was deliberate, I'd walk away immediately. If they're lying about poo poo like that, there's probably a dozen more things you haven't found yet. It's like the New England Patriots. Cheaters cheat. They don't cheat once and then not cheat any more.

What a great post, everyone read this and follow its spirit when dealing with your own situations like this that will inevitably come up.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nah that post was pretty poo poo. Do people really buy houses on $/sq. ft.? I've never not seen anything but a final dollar amount.

When I bought my house it was actually about 40sq. ft. bigger than the listing stated so yeah, it happens. When we sold our old house we no longer had any data on original footage so we had to take measurements and estimate. Sometimes footage isn't 100% accurate but it doesn't mean the sellers are up to anything.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Nah that post was pretty poo poo. Do people really buy houses on $/sq. ft.? I've never not seen anything but a final dollar amount.

When I bought my house it was actually about 40sq. ft. bigger than the listing stated so yeah, it happens. When we sold our old house we no longer had any data on original footage so we had to take measurements and estimate. Sometimes footage isn't 100% accurate but it doesn't mean the sellers are up to anything.

I don't think people buy on price/sqft, but it's certainly common to evaluate the value of a house using price/sqft. When you think that you're paying $200/sqft it kind of sucks to learn that you're actually paying $210/sqft. And surely being told that the house is smaller than was agreed upon in the purchase contract should result in some sort of concession, the question is just how much. If your contract said that the house would come with all appliances and then were told later that the stove and fridge wouldn't be included after all, surely you wouldn't sit on your hands and just let that happen. That's about the right order of magnitude of value lost that we're talking about, here.

It's true that a small difference in square footage probably doesn't really change any decisions. If you like the house's design, location, and general size then it probably doesn't matter that the house is a few dozen square feet smaller than was listed. But it does feel like the two parties should come to an agreement on some concession due to the lost value that represents.

I agree that a discrepancy in square footage does not necessarily mean that the sellers are up to anything. Sometimes mistakes just happen.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pryor on Fire posted:

What a great post, everyone read this and follow its spirit when dealing with your own situations like this that will inevitably come up.
Why don't you share your opinion instead of just poo poo posting? This is a discussion with multiple view-points. Share yours.

Also, my bad, it probably was incendiary to mention the New England Patriots. Their fans are completely unwilling to rationally listen to criticism of their beloved franchise.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

FCKGW posted:

Dollars per sq. ft. matter, but it's not the be all, end all metric in my experience. In the few circumstances I've bothered to measure square footage of a house or apartment myself, it always disagrees with the listed amount. I would argue that square footage numbers will not agree with your personal measured number the majority of the time. Sometimes they'll just list the sq. footage of the foundation, but the livable space will be smaller. Sometimes they'll list numbers from a previous sale when a renovation slightly modded it. There are so many ways the listed sq. footage number can be slightly wrong, or slightly different from how you want it to be.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jimmy James posted:

Dollars per sq. ft. matter, but it's not the be all, end all metric in my experience. In the few circumstances I've bothered to measure square footage of a house or apartment myself, it always disagrees with the listed amount. I would argue that square footage numbers will not agree with your personal measured number the majority of the time. Sometimes they'll just list the sq. footage of the foundation, but the livable space will be smaller. Sometimes they'll list numbers from a previous sale when a renovation slightly modded it. There are so many ways the listed sq. footage number can be slightly wrong, or slightly different from how you want it to be.

But if you determined that the house you're trying to buy is 300 sqft less than listed, what would you do?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
If the realtors numbers matched the auditors numbers, you really can't blame the seller at that point. Then it might come down to individual rooms.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Dik Hz has a good point. The first thing I thought of when I read about the square footage mistake was during my hunting on realty website, square footage was a filter for me, so upping the size of a house even by a small amount could make it appear when it shouldn't. It's like increasing the font on your research paper back at school by a fraction of a size to cover that last half a page you need without it being totally obvious.

I don't think this is worth walking over as it could be an innocent mistake just as easily as a intentional adjustment. I would pay close attention for the rest of the dealings, regardless.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

One thing that I did not see in the Square foot discussion is that many appraisers do not adjust for differences in GLA less than 100 square feet. If the appraisal has not been completed yet, and the homes they compare it to are within 50 square feet or so, it is likely something where the property would not be given a positive or negative adjustment in value at all. So in that sense the 30 feet would not end up mattering at all.

Example

House we are buying - 1500 square feet (really 1530).
Comps 1,2,3 (1468, 1565, 1505) all are given a 0 line item adjustment for GLA. Now to be fair, not all appraisers do this, but many of them will, because they assume most buyers are not going to value a home within 100 sq feet much differently. Admittedly, most jumbo loans require 2 appraisals anyway, so there is going to be a natural reconciliation process.

If i was op, I would probably do 3 things.
1) Call the permit office and get those things closed up as needed (I've seen appraisers make their reports subject to the condition of the open permits being closed, usually costs a nominal amount of money to do)
2) Let important people know about the GLA issue (originator, realtor) since you don't want the transaction held up in the 11th hour.
3) Check the appraisals closely when they come in. If there is an issue in your mind related to the GLA, negotiate it or bring it to someones attention right away.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

And surely being told that the house is smaller than was agreed upon in the purchase contract should result in some sort of concession

I've never seen a purchase contract that stated the square footage. Just the legal description of the lot and "The house, garage, and all other fixtures and improvements attached to the above-described real property"

A 30sq ft discrepancy is truly trivial. You'll come up with a bigger discrepancy just doing internal vs external measurements, for example. Around here, everyone uses the appraisal district's square footage in their listing to avoid this kind of stupid pissing match, and the irony is that those guys aren't terribly precise in their measurements, since they just need ballpark numbers to do their job.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

The issue I would be concerned with given it's a Jumbo is that the lender drags their feet if both of the appraisals do not match in terms of square footage.

I'd argue the best possible outcome is probably that the reports show the same inaccuracy and it isn't adjusted for. Maybe in a perfect world op gets some kind of concession for the 30 foot difference, but that part seems fairly unlikely as public records are off all the time, but it is the standard most people would use.

Nightmare scenario is that the the reports vary, the lender wants clarification on both reports, the op pushes too hard for a concession they aren't going to get, offend the seller and they get walked out on when someone else decides they will put enough down for a conventional loan that only requires one appraisal and closes up real quick.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Dik Hz posted:

My appraiser gave me about 100 extra sqft than the listing, so it does happen.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Anybody have some sewer line horror stories to share? I need to be scared out of buying this otherwise okay house that has a terra cotta sewer line running out the backyard and down a hill under a bunch of trees.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

As a Millennial I posted:

Anybody have some sewer line horror stories to share? I need to be scared out of buying this otherwise okay house that has a terra cotta sewer line running out the backyard and down a hill under a bunch of trees.

Assume the cost of replacing in your purchase decision. It will need to be replaced. At minimum you should get it camera inspected before you make an offer if the house is a go otherwise. Worse case is the city doesn't let you dig up and replace the existing one because of you can't kill trees on city land. Otherwise it is pretty much backhoe up a trench to the sewer and put in a new pipe. Fill in hole. Remove trees if they die.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

House we were under contract in last year before it came apart was found to have roots in the sewer lateral (~70 foot line) and estimates for relining were in the 9-11k range. We negotiated it into the price after the inspection stage since it was so high. If there is doubt, scope the line for 300-400 bucks. Sewer lines aren't cheap.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think I told this story in the thread back when it was actually happening, across several posts, so here's the full thing:

My wife and I tried to buy a nice house at a good price in an area that we like, but sewer inspections aren't normally done here. The house was on a cul de sac and we noticed a lot of large trees in the front yard along the path where we suspected the sewer line was, so we decided to get a sewer inspection to make sure that there weren't any major surprises and so that we could know exactly where the line is, if we ever wanted to significantly alter the yard.

There were no roots clogging the lines, but the main sewer line under the house had basically collapsed. "I've never seen a line sagging this badly" was said several times by the inspector. The worst part was the location; the sagging segment started from a bedroom, ran through the epicenter of the house (where a bathroom was located), through the middle of the kitchen, and under the entirety of the garage. The entire segment was completely underwater, meaning that you basically had a tiny cesspool under the house that would fill up over time until your house eventually gets flooded with sewage. The owners surely knew, as the lines had recently been jet-washed. This is a sure way to clear out any lingering sewage; you basically put high pressure on the sewer line and push everything out, but it also runs the risk of eventually breaking the sewer line. The only way to fix it is to dig out and replace all of that pipe. To replace the line you'd basically have to completely redo the bathroom, the kitchen, and the floor of one bedroom. Estimated cost for the repair was $50k. Sellers wanted to get two more quotes, which were each also $50k. Seller refused to do anything about it, but luckily we were within our contingency period, so we pulled out.

Do never buy (or if you buy, do never forego a sewer inspection)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 18, 2015

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Eh, what's another 400 bucks. :retrogames:

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Closed on our house on Thursday, found evidence of moisture damage and mold in basement on Friday. Home inspector was sorry he missed it but blamed the owners stuff for being in the way (it wasn't). Hopefully adding some gutters will be able to direct enough water away from the foundation. It seems to be the thing everyone suggests as a starting point.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There is such a thing as trenchless sewer line replacement. It's not cheap, but it may be cheaper than excavating, if your line runs under mature trees, concrete driveways, etc.

My sewer line is cast iron to the cleanout and then terracotta to the sewer. The terracotta section runs under a large tree in our front yard. There is some minor root intrusion: I have had it snaked out twice in the last five years, and my guys' advice is to keep doing it every year or two. $200 every couple years sure beats many thousands of dollars to replace the line. If/when we decide we absolutely have to do this replacement, trenchless will probably cost us about half what it'd cost to dig up the line, due to that big sycamore.

Incidentally, I want to beat up the fucker who thought sycamores were appropriate trees for a generally hot and dry climate, since they are riparian trees that need lots of water, and oh by the way, they have moisture-seeking roots and it was planted more or less directly over the sewer line, probably 30 years ago.

Let that be a lesson to all of you: plant native trees, or if you must have a non-native ornamental tree, at least pick something appropriate for your local climate.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I just planted a bunch of kudzu at my house right before I sold it.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
Closed out on the house today and somehow I managed to get money back from the seller and a lower interest rate on my loan. Gotta love those DC homebuyers programs.

"House Buying Megathread: I finally have the house, so what happens now?"

Oh, right. Movers and a 30 day notice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Delorence Fickle posted:

"House Buying Megathread: I finally have the house, so what happens now?"

Oh, right. Movers and a 30 day notice.

The crushing weight of enormous, decades-long debt. The neverending parade of multi-thousand-dollar expenses. The weekly grind of neverending maintenance chores. The slow realization that if housing prices in your neighborhood go down by 25%, you're ruined.

Congratulations! :)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

People do so much retarded poo poo that they think looks good and doesn't or is some loving tree from their childhood in climates that are totally wrong for the landscaping and it pisses me off so much. You don't need a lawn and an oak tree to impress your ancestors or whatever the gently caress.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Spermy Smurf posted:

I just planted a bunch of kudzu at my house right before I sold it.

Did I buy your house?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Back to the square footage questions, it looks like the permit was indeed for a smaller house than what's recorded in the county record (county tax record says the house is about 70 sqft larger than permitted). Is this a problem? There are no obvious additions or modifications, and it looks like most of the houses on the block have permits that deviate from the county record by some amount (10-100 sqft), so I'm guessing that this is just a thing that happens and such a discrepancy should be ignored?

Also, how often does a typical roof in a sunny area typically need to be replaced? 20+ years? 30+?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

It is very likely something that would just get ignored. More than likely on your appraisal it will state the home is legal or legal non-conforming on page one of the report. All that would matter to a lender is that your home could be rebuilt in the event of a disaster, which is pretty commonly allowed.

The only thing I think you would really need to check for is when your appraisals arrive that neither of them (I believe two were coming if this was a jumbo loan) show the report as subject to permits being modified in any way. If nothing like that pops up, you should be ok to close.

The roof will probably be mentioned in either your home inspection or the appraisal report. You want to look for anything mentioning economic life. If there isn't anything specific, appraisals do state the condition of the roof, anything less than average is a concern and probably means it will need replacing in the very near future (within 3-5 years).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
This house is for sale near me. I'd schedule a tour, but I don't think one person could give a second person a tour of the place.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

CornHolio posted:

This house is for sale near me. I'd schedule a tour, but I don't think one person could give a second person a tour of the place.

5.3 acres with a well already drilled, electric run, and septic system installed for $50,000? That's cheaper than it would be in my neck of the woods.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

You're not buying a house in that case, you're buying a lot of land with a plumbed shed on the property.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If we're posting absurd houses, does anyone know of a cult looking for a compound?
http://houstonarea.har.com/2354-county-road-59/sale_81589854

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

If we're posting absurd houses, does anyone know of a cult looking for a compound?
http://houstonarea.har.com/2354-county-road-59/sale_81589854

Maybe I'm just ignorant but I cannot imagine a reason for that place to exist.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's another slightly smaller compound next door as well.

It's only on 15 acres, which I'd guess is hardly enough land to support a few hundred people. I just can't imagine anything other than cult. I know Houston area doesn't have much of any zoning, so maybe my imagination is limited by what's possible where I am. Could it be some kind of boarding house? Home for troubled youth? Some kind of school? Nursing home? No idea.

E: I guess it was built as a senior living facility but never finished. And then the same guy built the same thing next door, only smaller. Weird.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 19, 2015

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Maybe I'm just ignorant but I cannot imagine a reason for that place to exist.

Enron.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

That's like a case study in why you don't let people just build as many million square feet as they want on however much land they want without any government oversight. Like what the flying gently caress.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Pryor on Fire posted:

That's like a case study in why you don't let people just build as many million square feet as they want on however much land they want without any government oversight. Like what the flying gently caress.

Yeah, but $58/sqft, what a deal!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The shed on 5 acres is $308 per square foot what a rip off.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I am getting owned so hard. My agent is a complete noob and the seller is, herself, an agent who's sold dozens of houses. Now we're in the post-inspection negotiation and not only is the seller claiming that a sagging roof is not a "problem," she's refusing to lower the purchase price in exchange for the lower seller's assist that our bank is suddenly requiring. I'm sick of dealing with this poo poo and she knows it. UGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Walk away. The sagging roof is an issue. gently caress that. And get a new buyer's agent.