Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i can't tell, i read earlier that they had told the restaurant that bikers were having some thing there and they didn't do anything about it, but i don't know if this is related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

snitching is wrong

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Post some good country music

any robert earl keen.flv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T2FTaKwewA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWyQYS5I0N8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBzQMAZyDzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfqYnPjPrOQ

also willie nelson and basically most 90s-00s texas country

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Badger of Basra posted:

i can't tell, i read earlier that they had told the restaurant that bikers were having some thing there and they didn't do anything about it, but i don't know if this is related

i mean if i were a restaurant employee the last thing i'd want to do is get involved in a spat between any of my customers, esp bikers

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
in the interest of getting people to read cool comics

sex criminals is a book about two people who feel alone who meet and fall in love and realize that they're not alone after all, and then they use their power to stop time by cumming to rob a bank and poo poo goes downhill for them from then on

bitch planet is a women in prison story, in space

southern bastards starts out being a Walking Tall type story complete with big stick and it quickly turns into a story about fathers and sons and crime and football in a little southern town. jason aaron is real good at this kind of story, check out scalped for something similar set on a reservation

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

so i was driving to my mom's house today to help her move and wondering why the traffic was so awful. turns out two biker gangs had a shootout at a bar near the highway and nine peopled died

U live in Waco lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Literally The Worst posted:

this book owns btw i'm waiting for #4 to come out

top 3 indie books rn are bitch planet, sex criminals, and southern bastards, not in that order

Are these real things?

E: just saw your new post. lol okay

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disinterested posted:

I assure you Koreans, Chinese and Japanese people are pretty racist against black people at home too.

also

Yes

Yes this speaks to my white soul

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

Are these real things?

the cover to one of them got posted on the last page, also yes. they're by v good writers too. bitch planet is by my least favorite of the three but that doesn't mean much considering the other two are my two favorite modern comics writers

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

LorrdErnie posted:

snitching is wrong

:agreed:

euphronius posted:

U live in Waco lol

thankfully not, just my mom

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

nutranurse posted:

ok yes there are various minority groups that exist in both countries, but they are very very very small in number, even if accounting for government fuckery. japan being ethnically and culutrally largely the same is far from a contentious fact, and again, china has been largely han for a very very very long time.

10% a smattering of other ethnicities is definitely monoethnic, i dunno how you could look at a country that's 90% mostly one group and 10% everyone else (this includes dozens and dozens of ethnicities) and be like "yep that sure aint ethnically homogenous! :downs:"

at that level in any country where people are able to readily visit large cosmopolitan centres you're not in a situation where foreigners are a total novelty or where people have never seen them before. China of course has still a very static agricultural population so there are still a lot of people who haven't got experience with foreigners

but china historically has been very well networked to surrounding states and further afield

there's no way you can try to argue china is racist because it's monoethnic when there are plenty of minorities, and there used to be many more

idk what your definition of a monoethnic society is but that's not mine

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

the cover to one of them got posted on the last page, also yes. they're by v good writers too. bitch planet is by my least favorite of the three but that doesn't mean much considering the other two are my two favorite modern comics writers

Aaron killed Punisher MAX. I can never forgive him.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i liked it a lot. i like that they're not tying the street level stuff to the movies too hard. they're obv in the same universe, and you know it's set after avengers because they talk about aliens blowing up most of new york, but that's about it.

this book owns btw i'm waiting for #4 to come out

top 3 indie books rn are bitch planet, sex criminals, and southern bastards, not in that order

oh does it ive never seen ah, most of the marvel movies

i kind of figured it was somewhat tied in though because everyone is very blase with the idea of a masked vigilante running around and there's been some side mentions that sound like this is fairly common

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

series finale of mad men tonight

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

sudo rm -rf posted:

yawn

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

sudo rm -rf posted:

Unless everyone gets axe murdered by the Manson Family, I don't care.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Realized I could just quote someone and see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7uyG6RrBDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50vKGSFOyQQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KogRRu24Rd4
Anything by the Del McCoury Band is good

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sudo rm -rf posted:

I feel bad that I haven't watched any of this last season, but I'll get around to it eventually.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

Aaron killed Punisher MAX. I can never forgive him.

Look if it wasn't going to end with valley forge valley forge Aaron's ending was the next best thing

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Berke Negri posted:

oh does it ive never seen ah, most of the marvel movies

i kind of figured it was somewhat tied in though because everyone is very blase with the idea of a masked vigilante running around and there's been some side mentions that sound like this is fairly common

There's a few mentions of The Incident which is literally the invasion from avengers. the main bad guys are land developers taking advantage of the low prices after New York gets exploded

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Disinterested posted:

idk what your definition of a monoethnic society is but that's not mine

populations that have like 90% of a same ethnicity, that's p drat monoethnic.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

nutranurse posted:

so if America was only white people and the black share of its population that would be a monoethnic society (88-12%)?

1 in 10 people is a lot. People really do register that 10%.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Disinterested posted:

so if America was only white people and the black share of its population that would be a monoethnic society (88-12%)?

there definitely was a long stretch of history where america was 'monoethnic' by my standards, yes, and this definitely contributed to its race problems

1 in 10 black people doesnt really mean all that much when they're very concentrated in only certain areas and the rest of the country is basically lilly white

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
which man is the maddest

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

nutranurse posted:

Disinterested posted:

personally I just think it's hilarious that like 80% of China's current land area has been, is being, or is slated to be ethnically cleansed by the han. the only areas that were originally han chinese were the half of China Proper north of the Yangtze

the chinese plain is the only one of those that was originally han

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
ok so i went to see fury road

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

nutranurse posted:

there definitely was a long stretch of history where america was 'monoethnic' by my standards, yes, and this definitely contributed to its race problems

1 in 10 black people doesnt really mean all that much when they're very concentrated in only certain areas and the rest of the country is basically lilly white

if anything the problem with japan and china is that it's one of their national myths that they have the country to themselves, they believe it despite all evidence to the contrary in plain view. it's a way of ignoring the messy nation building that went on in the past and continues to go on.

icantfindaname posted:

personally I just think it's hilarious that like 80% of China's current land area has been, is being, or is slated to be ethnically cleansed by the han. the only areas that were originally han chinese were the half of China Proper north of the Yangtze

you have to factor in that the han have basically managed to inculcate a joint han identity on people who different languages and are culturally very different from eachother as well

china is still doing poo poo european countries were doing to themselves in the mid 1800s in terms of introducing a unified language and monoculture

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

ok so i went to see fury road

was it everything and more than youd hope for

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

site posted:

Are these real things?

E: just saw your new post. lol okay

yes they are, image owns indie comics own

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Disinterested posted:

if anything the problem with japan and china is that it's one of their national myths that they have the country to themselves, they believe it despite all evidence to the contrary in plain view. it's a way of ignoring the messy nation building that went on in the past and continues to go on.

pointing out that the country is largely made up of one ethnicity =/= denying the existence of other ethnicities

its just pointing out that the country's largely made up of one ethnicity

all im saying is "yeah japan has 98% ethnically japanese people in it, its ethnically homogeneous and kind of helps to explain why they react so awfully to non-ethnic japanese people"

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

nutranurse posted:

was it everything and more than youd hope for

it was pretty amazing

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

nutranurse posted:

pointing out that the country is largely made up of one ethnicity =/= denying the existence of other ethnicities

this is a dumb argument but I think you have a slightly wonky idea of how racism in China works

it's a lot more to do with racial founding myths and poo poo like that, and how china has historically seen itself as the worlds central and greatest power and the way that the han have historically steamrolled other peoples

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

waylon jennings is a weird na...oh

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

it was pretty amazing

what was your favorite explosion

Disinterested posted:

this is a dumb argument but I think you have a slightly wonky idea of how racism in China works

the only thing ive argued is that china and japan are largely made up of a single ethnic group, ive not said much on how racism works in there. thats you extrapolating from me pulling up demographics and saying "yep its mostly one kind of people and that gives some insight into why they react poorly towards people not the same ethnicity as them"

exposure to people outside your ethnicity goes a long way to combating racist stereotypes of them, that's not all that a contentious thing to assert

i think you have a wonky idea of how racism works in general

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

nutranurse posted:

all im saying is "yeah japan has 98% ethnically japanese people in it, its ethnically homogeneous and kind of helps to explain why they react so awfully to non-ethnic japanese people"

japan isn't racist because it's a monoculture so much as it's a monoculture because it's racist

japanese people have been thinking ill of their fellow asians for centuries and their refusal to allow migration, that they desperately need, is a continuation of that historic trend

china is growing more monoethnic all the time because centuries old historic trends of cultural imperialism are still at work and have been at work for a long time

this poo poo is not new, and in fact the countries have become more monodimensional because of historic attitudes to their minorities and neighbours

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

nutranurse posted:

what was your favorite explosion

the bad guys jaw

though giant truck explosion that instantly becomes max getting picked up by a seesaw is not bad

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I'm reading the issue of Multiversity where the chibi universe gets invaded

its pretty depressing

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

a europol in two parts

demonicon posted:

So far two political parties in Germany have voted to put the legalization of weed on their agenda for the next election.

Even though I am sometimes disappointed by politics there are often times I think where you have to step back and think about how far we have come along since the last war.

Especially now that the war generation is dieing out, you really have to appreciate that we are becoming a more and more liberal society. Remember that honosexuality was illegal just 20 years ago in Germany and that smoking weed was seen as the definite road to hard core drugs. We were living in perpetual fear of being attacked by the Soviet Union and Germany was still divided with a wall preventing Germans from travelling.

Even with all this poo poo going on right now I still think we have gone a long way and mostly for the better.

Sometimes we should really sit back and just appreciate that we are living in a union with mostly sensible rules, where things work most of the time and trains are only 5 minutes late. Let's look on the bright side for a moment.

YF-23 posted:

We are going through a crisis of capitalism and living in an era where the political survival of those politicians that put their money in austerity is a boot on every working person's face, where the response to a Middle Eastern crisis and the resulting immigration influx is to bomb the drat ports and where we're considering boots on the loving ground.

But gently caress yeah we're legalising weed, a sure sign we are experiencing the steamroller of progress levelling everything that could stand in its way. Well, as long as you can afford it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
minor nitpick tho refrigerating the pregnant woman and then lingering on the unborn kid and poo poo seemed entirely unnecessary and could have been cut

• Locked thread