Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

JT Jag posted:

I don't think this person knows what the fridging a character means

Look bro they're triggered cut them some slack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

NomChompsky posted:

I mean, at this point, anyone who is dropping the show altogether because of that one scene has some interesting places where they draw the lines considering all the other innocent people who have had horrible things done to them both on and off screen.

Children being skinned alive and burned. Guys getting their dicks cut off. Horses getting their heads sliced off.

This ain't Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
a character was subjected to an equally lovely fate in season 1.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I'm just glad Bronn didn't die.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Literally the first episode of the show involves a teenager being raped.

efb

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah the ending was heart-wrenching but it wasn't played for any titillating value at all. The second episode of this series had a similar situation and in fact you could argue it's much worse since the camerawork was much more focused on the... "action" and the message seemed to be "If you can please your man then it won't really be rape"

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also Tommen is getting even more pathetic with each passing episode. Cersei's dumb plan has to blow up in her face somehow

There is no way that the sparrows aren't going to go after her for the incest. It's obvious right? God I'll be pissed if they don't.

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013
How do people not know Ramsey's reputation? Especially Sansa. You'd think you'd know how lovely the family that slit your mom's throat and shanked your brother and his pregnant wife could be

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Master Twig posted:

There is no way that the sparrows aren't going to go after her for the incest. It's obvious right? God I'll be pissed if they don't.

Who can prove it?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lloyd Boner posted:

Literally the first episode of the show involves a teenager being raped.

efb

the difference is we werent attached to them, but yeah, pretty much the Exact Same Thing happened.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Mister Kingdom posted:

Who can prove it?

The High Sparrow's right hand man who hosed his cousin the Queen Cersei Lannister a bunch of times.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Hommando posted:

I'm just glad Bronn didn't die.

Sorry dude he probably got poisoned by that cut at the end.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's not about one specific act being THE REASON to stop watching, it just builds up over time. Maybe the person is 99% over the show, then a thing happens, that's 100%. Hell I quit watching House of Cards during the middle of an episode, during a dialogue scene, because I just Couldn't Even anymore. It doesn't always have to be "this one action is so reprehensible that I can't continue", these things are cumulative.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

JT Jag posted:

I don't think this person knows what the fridging a character means

Don't you know? Every time you kill off a female character in a movie or TV show these days, they've been 'fridged'.

The internet has a bad habit of watering down the definition of something to the point of uselessness.4

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 18, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Who can prove it?

I mean it's "widely rumored", and there were people calling yelling about Tommen being an "abomination" when he tried to go visit the Sept.

Also I forgot about this:

Lloyd Boner posted:

The High Sparrow's right hand man who hosed his cousin the Queen Cersei Lannister a bunch of times.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DFu4ever posted:

Don't you know? Every time you kill off a female character in a movie or TV show these days, they've been 'fridged'.
How many strong female characters have actually been killed in this show though? Cat I'll give you I suppose, but it happened in the book. Who else?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hand Row posted:

Sorry dude he probably got poisoned by that cut at the end.

Yeah they made sure to make it a thing that he got cut.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It's not about one specific act being THE REASON to stop watching, it just builds up over time. Maybe the person is 99% over the show, then a thing happens, that's 100%. Hell I quit watching House of Cards during the middle of an episode, during a dialogue scene, because I just Couldn't Even anymore. It doesn't always have to be "this one action is so reprehensible that I can't continue", these things are cumulative.

I can't recall a show that I liked that went south and I stopped watching it. Hell, I made it through Heroes.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Master Twig posted:

Oh yeah, the Sparrow is definitely the Thomas of Beckett to her Henry II.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

you're right. imo it was a pretty interesting decision to make which is why the whole resolution is really upsetting. you want her to do the right thing but she made two awful choices because littlefinger is a manipulative snotsucker.

Along with Littlefinger just being the manipulative poo poo that he is, what else was she supposed to say? "Actually yeah, creepy guy who betrayed my father and really has no reason to actually let me call the shots here, let's turn around and go home. Wherever that is now."

There's really nowhere else for her to go, no reason to actually believe Littlefinger's going to let her get out of it. I'm also not sure she really knows about Ramsay's reputation-- Roose Bolton, sure, but I thought Ramsay's stuff was kept pretty hush-hush so as to protect the family reputation. From her perspective she's probably not being presented with much of a choice at all, and at least if she says yes there's the chance of having some kind of control over her home keep after everything dies down.

Sansa seems to be just working with what she's got. She doesn't have all the information we do, which is part of why it's so upsetting (like you said) that the decisions she makes wind up leading to bad outcomes.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

Who can prove it?

Littlefinger. He's just holding it in his pocket to teach her that knowledge really is power.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I've never posted in this thread before, but I wanted to see the reactions to this episode in the hopes of understanding mine. Both my wife and I, and she's read the books, simultaneously decided we are done with the show. I can't think of a show I liked so much that I abandoned so abruptly.

I'm not here to tell people who still like the show how wrong they are, I'm hoping to understand why I don't anymore. Yeah, the final scene was the last straw so to speak, but this is a show that has built a mountain of cruelty out of worse things than happened to Sansa. Maybe the rest of the show has stalled out such that it can't rise above the brutality? I honestly don't know.

Abandon the show because S5 is boring or the acting has sucked or because pedro pascal is gone, not because a boring character hosed her husband

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

JT Jag posted:

How many strong female characters have actually been killed in this show though? Cat I'll give you I suppose, but it happened in the book. Who else?

That term never had anything to do with killing off strong female characters.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can't recall a show that I liked that went south and I stopped watching it. Hell, I made through Heroes.
It's tough, I'm always like, a little more, a little more. But House of Cards, I just looked it up, I was in episode 305. I just couldn't bother. The other show was Justified. Beyond that, if I'm watching it, I'm watching it. Finished Heroes, still watching Vampire Diaries without Elena, hell I recently decided to start trying to watch The Simpsons again even though it has been objectively terrible longer than it was great. It's hard, but sometimes you gotta pull away.

e: I stopped watching Breaking Bad when they killed off Walter, that was the point of no return for me. I'm kinda proud of this joke, let me have it.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

NomChompsky posted:

Shaking initiated.

The best part was complaining about the camera focusing on Theon.

I mean did she want the camera to focus on Sansa's anguished face or Ramsay's cock?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DFu4ever posted:

That term never had anything to do with killing off strong female characters.
Well let's apply the actual usage: killing any female characters for the sake of development of a male central character. So... Ros? Maybe?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Parasol Prophet posted:

Along with Littlefinger just being the manipulative poo poo that he is, what else was she supposed to say? "Actually yeah, creepy guy who betrayed my father and really has no reason to actually let me call the shots here, let's turn around and go home. Wherever that is now."

There's really nowhere else for her to go, no reason to actually believe Littlefinger's going to let her get out of it. I'm also not sure she really knows about Ramsay's reputation-- Roose Bolton, sure, but I thought Ramsay's stuff was kept pretty hush-hush so as to protect the family reputation. From her perspective she's probably not being presented with much of a choice at all, and at least if she says yes there's the chance of having some kind of control over her home keep after everything dies down.

Sansa seems to be just working with what she's got. She doesn't have all the information we do, which is part of why it's so upsetting (like you said) that the decisions she makes wind up leading to bad outcomes.

Yeah, Sansa really had no way of knowing what kind of a person Ramsay was until Myranda let her in on the whole story. Maybe she could have surmised something from what happened to Theon, I suppose

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Amazing the number of people in this thread who judge show quality by plot movement. Not, you know, actual standards of quality.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I mean if it's just not your cup of tea anymore that's cool, don't let anyone else tell you how to live your life. But anyone who didn't 100% know this was going to happen when the character was getting married to "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." guy is a little bit naive.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Whenever Game of Thrones does something offensive to your sensibilities, one should think about this gif.

I don't get why people get so upset over a movie, tv, etc. The fact it's making you emotional is something to be celebrated.

I'm not upset, seriously. It was more of a matter of fact, "I don't want to do this anymore." Like I said, I honestly didn't post to start a debate, I don't think that people who are sticking with the show, who obviously are the vast majority, are wrong about anything. In a way, I'm jealous because there's still plenty of story to be told and I'd wager a lot of it is going to be great. It's just weird that a show that I've loved while it featured people being beheaded, tortured, skinned alive, burned, raped, impaled, and on and on, including "good guys," has suddenly left me with a bad taste in my mouth from a single scene. I think I already alluded to the best guess, tonight's last scene just provided the final push for a show that was already slipping away for me. I just didn't recognize that it was happening, at least not as fast as I thought. Plenty of shows have slowly lost my interest; one day I realize that I've let half a season pile up on the DVR and I don't care. That's not what happened here. There's only a handful of shows that we watch the night of first air.

Edit:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yep. This is probably it. There wasn't a, "A particular character being raped, not THAT'S going too far," line that was crossed. That would be insane for this show this far in.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 18, 2015

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
One criticism of this season that rings true is that it does feel that a whole lot of nothing has happened, and we're over halfway through.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

We watched a guy have his face crushed by a giant but an off screen devirgining is the line for some people?

Alfie Allen is going to go crazy and kill probably everyone in winterfell this season

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

DFu4ever posted:

The internet has a bad habit of watering down the definition of something to the point of uselessness.4

Even if you're taking it to mean any time a woman is "powered down" for the sake of the plot, implying that Sansa's slow empowerment arc is reversed by becoming a rape victim is kinda subtly hosed up in its own way.

JT Jag posted:

Well let's apply the actual usage: killing any female characters for the sake of development of a male central character. So... Ros? Maybe?

I mean if Theon magically stops being Reek now, then...maybe the term applies? I can't imagine he'd be more than a pawn in a hypothetical Sansa revenge plot, though.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

CelestialScribe posted:

Amazing the number of people in this thread who judge show quality by plot movement. Not, you know, actual standards of quality.
I don't know what this post means, but the default state of my TV is a solid black screen, literally everything else is a thing that is happening. So yes, the plot is a thing you can consider when evaluating a show. If Jane the Virgin had been 1 episode of "whoops, artificially inseminated, I'll get an abortion", and 21 episodes of Gina Rodriguez asking why the camera is still following her, it probably wouldn't be getting the praise its getting.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

JT Jag posted:

Uh, the Strong Womantm who was sleeping with Theon in Winterfell who went to Kings Landing and got Crossbowed by Joffrey? The Strong Womantm sleeping with half the Lannister Army in Tyrion's War Camp who went to King's Landing and got Crossbowed by Tyrion? The Strong Womantm who was hired to teach Dany how to please a man in Khal Drogo's camp who went to an empty vault under Qarth? The Strong Womantm who went from being a girl known for her sexual prowess in a wildling refugee camp who went to the wall.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Whenever Game of Thrones does something offensive to your sensibilities, one should think about this gif.

I don't get why people get so upset over a movie, tv, etc. The fact it's making you emotional is something to be celebrated.

That gif is the most idiotic thing and it looks bad too. Dragons, zombies, and heart-stoppingly real depictions of sexual violence: all thethings you need for a great engaging story!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I've never posted in this thread before, but I wanted to see the reactions to this episode in the hopes of understanding mine. Both my wife and I, and she's read the books, simultaneously decided we are done with the show. I can't think of a show I liked so much that I abandoned so abruptly.

I'm not here to tell people who still like the show how wrong they are, I'm hoping to understand why I don't anymore. Yeah, the final scene was the last straw so to speak, but this is a show that has built a mountain of cruelty out of worse things than happened to Sansa. Maybe the rest of the show has stalled out such that it can't rise above the brutality? I honestly don't know.

You and your wife are huge pussies.

e: Rise ABOVE the brutality? What show do you think you're watching? It only gets worse.

You're lucky they didn't make Theon lick Sansa's pussy to get her ready for rape like GRRM did for fake Arya in the books.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 18, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey posted:

One criticism of this season that rings true is that it does feel that a whole lot of nothing has happened, and we're over halfway through.

I wonder if the showrunners would have been better served trying a different narrative structure with this season. Before, intercutting between different plotlines made sense because what happened in one part of the story affected others. This season, however, everything has been incredibly self-contained. Maybe if they had done a whole episode on Mereen, a whole ep with Tyrion/Jorah, an ep with the Night's Watch, an ep with Jaime/Dorne, an ep at King's Landing, an ep at Braavos, and then flow everything back together for the last couple episodes, it would feel more dynamic.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

ultramiraculous posted:

It really felt like there were half a dozen places they could have cut to the credits and maintained 99% of the uncomfortableness of the rape-consumation. Ugh :smith:

I'll be honest, because she was screaming as he was ripping her clothes off, I assumed as we watched Theon's face change that Ramsey hadn't quite got there yet. I really was hoping that Theon's face at the end was the face of somebody about to spring into action and I said gently caress You HBO when they rolled the credits at 52 minutes. Then I saw the preview for next week's episode and said gently caress You HBO in an entirely different vein.

I will still watch the show, though. Tonight's episode was largely boring and bad, though. (And I was hoping they'd kill the Sand Snakes on the spot. I liked Mrs. Vorenus in Rome, but not here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Barreft posted:

You and your wife are huge pussies.

Well, there's that....

• Locked thread