Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I laugh every time at that cutscene where Roche falls off a bridge, rolls to his feet as he yells gently caress and immediately punches a dude in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lowtechs posted:

Look for a save bmp file that looks like this. That will be a complete game autosave.

I must have deleted all of my save bmps, is there any other way to tell if I have a valid end-of-game save?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pwnstar posted:

I laugh every time at that cutscene where Roche falls off a bridge, rolls to his feet as he yells gently caress and immediately punches a dude in the face.

it's just so random and out there and played perfectly straight. :allears: I just experienced it a few hours ago today (barring the first time I played 4 years ago) and because I knew about it I loved it even more than I would have otherwise.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

I didn't think about it until later, but that moment chose my W2 path for me an hour and a half before I knew it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pwnstar posted:

I need a YouTube of this...

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
-- here you go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjyqqHU7JI

And must not forget: "At least I'll die holding a lovely arse."

Roche is just masterfully done all around. I mean the game opens with him having you tortured and by the end he's just the best drat buddy a witcher could have.

I never warmed up to Iorveth. His storyline contains more defensibly "good" choices but he goes about it in such a lovely sneering way, and Saskia has so little personality... The most likable person on that path might actually be Hitler Dwarf.

Either way I'm preemptively disappointed that neither of them can possibly have much role in Wild Hunt because player choices would make their characters too different. :( Here's hoping to be wrong!

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 18, 2015

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I need a YouTube of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjyqqHU7JI :unsmith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh that's right, that's chapter two, what was I conflating it with? Traveling to Flotsam maybe? He's a snarky rear end in a top hat there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Psiharis posted:

Roche is just masterfully done all around. I mean the game opens with him having you tortured and by the end he's just the best drat buddy a witcher could have.

I never warmed up to Iorveth. His storyline contains more defensibly "good" choices but he goes about it in such a lovely sneering way, and Saskia has so little personality... The most likable person on that path might actually be Hitler Dwarf.

Either way I'm preemptively disappointed that neither of them can possibly have much role in Wild Hunt because player choices would make their characters too different. :( Here's hoping to be wrong!

Iorveth was dope. He totally chilled out over time. He's this century-spanning warrior who has seen his race just get loving punted off to the side and he's trying to fight a losing battle to at least bring them back to equal footing. Saskia's pretty dope, too. She's got this dream of hers and is gonna burn the world to make it happen, all for the wellbeing of the normal dudes and dudettes of the world.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Drifter posted:

Iorveth was dope. He totally chilled out over time.

Comparatively, but he never gelled for me personally. I played the game an embarrassing number of times (multiple paths on PC, at least 4-5 runs on 360) and still dislike the sneering gently caress. He has a right to be that way, no question, but I still don't enjoy his company. Plus I really didn't like the later lovesick puppy aspects and found Saskia completely bland. She has a grand vision and that's all we get until the Big Reveal - admirable, yes. Likable? Mehhh. Maybe it's supposed to be endearing that an ancient badass like Iorveth can still be naive and trusting to fall for some rando who makes pretty speeches, but it made me embarrassed for him more than anything.

Not saying people who like Iorveth are wrong. Just that his attitude never stopped grating on me personally and in some ways got worse, while for all his own flaws, I liked Roche more with every interaction.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Looking back at some of those Witcher 2 cutscenes, was the lip syncing really that bad or are the people recording it just lagging? I haven't played in a couple years but I don't remember it being that noticeable.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Looking back at some of those Witcher 2 cutscenes, was the lip syncing really that bad or are the people recording it just lagging? I haven't played in a couple years but I don't remember it being that noticeable.

It wasn't great.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah they didn't use motion capture or anything so it's just a few canned animations per character.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Huh, have they stepped it up with 3?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I doubt Roche will play a big part in W3 at all, but I hope that when he gets his requisite cameo he gets to do at least one silly action stunt like the falling off the bridge punch or SWORDTOSS.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Huh, have they stepped it up with 3?

Some of the best faces and facial animation video games have ever seen.

E: Skip to 50 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnIxXtthiYw

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 18, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

Some of the best faces and facial animation video games have ever seen.

E: Skip to 50 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnIxXtthiYw

I'm not looking at trailers, but is that a cinematic animation, or an ingame animation? You know the difference I'm talking about, don't argue semantics.

I'm very surprised at myself, but I'm going in to W3 with pretty much zero previous witcher 3 game knowledge aside from a few screenshots.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

I'm not looking at trailers, but is that a cinematic animation, or an ingame animation? You know the difference I'm talking about, don't argue semantics.

I would never. Cinematic. Characters do actually 'talk' when walking about though. The quality there is less easy to discern but it is noticeable.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

In addition to the bridge scene there's also the one where just busts through the wall of the elven baths like the Kool-Aid Man. :v:

Psiharis posted:

Comparatively, but he never gelled for me personally. I played the game an embarrassing number of times (multiple paths on PC, at least 4-5 runs on 360) and still dislike the sneering gently caress. He has a right to be that way, no question, but I still don't enjoy his company. Plus I really didn't like the later lovesick puppy aspects and found Saskia completely bland. She has a grand vision and that's all we get until the Big Reveal - admirable, yes. Likable? Mehhh. Maybe it's supposed to be endearing that an ancient badass like Iorveth can still be naive and trusting to fall for some rando who makes pretty speeches, but it made me embarrassed for him more than anything.

Not saying people who like Iorveth are wrong. Just that his attitude never stopped grating on me personally and in some ways got worse, while for all his own flaws, I liked Roche more with every interaction.

I think a big part of it is that Roche is there with you pretty much every step of the way like the game is some kind of buddy movie. Iorveth tends to sort of drift in and out, just showing up occasionally to help with the big stuff (looking like he smelled something really bad the whole time). And half the time when he talks to you it's in a super condescending tone, which is understandable I guess but it's not endearing. Saskia just comes off like a naive idiot to me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Drifter posted:

I'm very surprised at myself, but I'm going in to W3 with pretty much zero previous witcher 3 game knowledge aside from a few screenshots.

Same for me. I have absolutely zero knowledge of the world or the charactes of the Witcher games. I know nothing of the main dude. The game just happened to be on my radar because of certain youtubers, and it looks fun and really pretty.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 18, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
poo poo, should have named the thread Etc: Roach & Broche Ride Again.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
There goes my free time for the week.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Psiharis posted:

Hitler Dwarf.

lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

That's pretty much where I'm wavering on save games, Roche is a bro, but I like the idea of Vergen. I think it'll depend on whether 3 tracks Henselt's status

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Uh lesbomancy dwarf is definitely the best dwarf although Hitler dwarf comes in second.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

I think a big part of it is that Roche is there with you pretty much every step of the way like the game is some kind of buddy movie. Iorveth tends to sort of drift in and out,

Fair point.

I think too that Roche is generally someone who does bad things for selfless reasons, while Iorveth does a good things for selfish reasons. Not universally, but Iorveth more often swings toward personal pride, Roche toward self-sacrifice.

All of which is what I love about the series - there's not a right answer, just differences of opinion over how to weight the pros and cons.

(I'm also miffed at Iorveth right now because I just replayed from the Siege of Vergen on to refresh my memory about the end choices, and when I went out of my way to rescue Iorveth, all he did was snarl about never forgiving me. Well gently caress you too buddy! I can't remember if I tossed him his sword back in Pontar but I usually do, because Geralt can't know the consequences, so... yeah. rear end.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

RentACop posted:

That's pretty much where I'm wavering on save games, Roche is a bro, but I like the idea of Vergen. I think it'll depend on whether 3 tracks Henselt's status

Kaedwen is basically a non-entity in 3.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Psiharis posted:

Fair point.

I think too that Roche is generally someone who does bad things for selfless reasons, while Iorveth does a good things for selfish reasons. Not universally, but Iorveth more often swings toward personal pride, Roche toward self-sacrifice.

All of which is what I love about the series - there's not a right answer, just differences of opinion over how to weight the pros and cons.

(I'm also miffed at Iorveth right now because I just replayed from the Siege of Vergen on to refresh my memory about the end choices, and when I went out of my way to rescue Iorveth, all he did was snarl about never forgiving me. Well gently caress you too buddy! I can't remember if I tossed him his sword back in Pontar but I usually do, because Geralt can't know the consequences, so... yeah. rear end.)

He also calls Geralt the noblest human alive if you free Saskia from the spell so he can definitely show gratitude.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Relentlessboredomm posted:

He also calls Geralt the noblest human alive if you free Saskia from the spell so he can definitely show gratitude.

Then you tell him you're not really human and he just goes OH PHEW THANK GOD I FORGOT ABOUT THAT I NEARLY BACKED DOWN FROM MY ULTRA-RACISM FOR A SEC.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Almost everyone is ultra racist in The Witcher

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Is "noblest human" even a compliment from Iorveth? "Shortest giant" territory, here...

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Airfoil posted:

lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that.

Who is Hitler dwarf?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Almost everyone is ultra racist in The Witcher

Your mother sucks dwarf cock

golden
Jul 28, 2006
I'm selling a Witcher 3 GOG key. I have no idea if this is the place to do that. I also have no idea if this will result in a ban. $25!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, after having done Iorveth's playthrough already, I felt kinda bad after I rescued him in Roche's when he was telling me how Vergen was failed now, and I knew about the dream and hopes of the peasants (especially since literally every person of royalty was such a loving rear end in a top hat).

He was so upset that the status quo was still maintained, because really, it's a poo poo status quo. I was all Dude, just glance over to my other savegame, man. I totally got your back. :ohdear:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

Then you tell him you're not really human and he just goes OH PHEW THANK GOD I FORGOT ABOUT THAT I NEARLY BACKED DOWN FROM MY ULTRA-RACISM FOR A SEC.

Yea I didn't have a problem with that. Humans universally poo poo all over elves and Iorveth's been around long enough to watch them be crushed beneath the human civilizations, him hating humans is the 100% understandable. All that said he clearly understands that the best elves can get is a Vergen style nation where they share equality with humans. For being a supposedly inflexible terrorist he's remarkably self aware.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Archimago posted:

Who is Hitler dwarf?

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Why do people hate elves so much?"

Exhibit A: Elves

Exhibit B: Iorveth

Exhibit C: Xzibit

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yea I didn't have a problem with that. Humans universally poo poo all over elves and Iorveth's been around long enough to watch them be crushed beneath the human civilizations, him hating humans is the 100% understandable. All that said he clearly understands that the best elves can get is a Vergen style nation where they share equality with humans. For being a supposedly inflexible terrorist he's remarkably self aware.

People really just don't like him because he doesn't kickflip off a bridge and punch the poo poo out of someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Psiharis posted:

Is "noblest human" even a compliment from Iorveth? "Shortest giant" territory, here...

He says it in a way that's incredibly grateful so regardless of the words the feeling is definitely very positive.

Drifter posted:

People really just don't like him because he doesn't kickflip off a bridge and punch the poo poo out of someone.

I know but he straight up beats Roche in a fight before you leave and then lets him live because he "doesn't kill the last of a species". Iorveth's pretty dope too. Roche is cooler but his path is just filled with people I want to murder.