Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Irritated Goat posted:

Person ALSO giving me a shortened version of their name when they have a common as hell last name and names are listed in the system by given name, not nicknames. These people call almost every god drat day. This isn't a new procedure. These employees call helpdesk like it's some new and scary thing when it hasn't changed in the 3 years we've had them as a client.

Conversely it is pretty lovely that you don't add common names to your database, the system should adapt to the people not the other way around.

Also, so many organizations use VoIP integrated apps these days, you should be able to automatically pull up all the issues and people associated with the phone number calling.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

incoherent posted:

poo poo pissing me off

I hate Windstream with a passion. Whenever we try to get a number changed or re-directed it takes their sorry rear end reps weeks to do it. I'm convinced Windstream is like 4 people working in some basement office somewhere. Garbage.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Man, this 9-5 support shift suuuuuuure is exciting.

On Saturday.

Where there's been four tickets so far, and half of them were filed at like 12 AM and are from people halfway across the loving planet so I won't be seeing a response until tomorrow.

Yep, this sure is a productive use of my and the company's time.

Sure is.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Exit Strategy posted:

On Saturday.

Where there's been four tickets so far, and half of them were filed at like 12 AM and are from people halfway across the loving planet so I won't be seeing a response until tomorrow.

Sure is.

My shift runs Tuesday to Saturday from nine until six. In the two years that I have been doing that, I think I have worked five tickets. We are 24/7 and we hand off everything after six to India. Not sure why they don't have them handle the weekends.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

I hate Windstream with a passion. Whenever we try to get a number changed or re-directed it takes their sorry rear end reps weeks to do it. I'm convinced Windstream is like 4 people working in some basement office somewhere. Garbage.

I had several clients go down because of that same Windstream outage. My alert board was a mess for several hours, plus the network automation database was down for maintenance (about which not a single person in Ops was told until it started). That was a fun two hours. The mess was mostly cleaned up by the time I left, but I'm glad to have today off.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Windstream is my ISP.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Exit Strategy posted:

On Saturday.

Sure is.

Try dealing with 12-hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday for Exchange for the ENTIRE United States Air Force - we had 4 calls all day. And I get to repeat it again tomorrow.

**EDIT**

Forgot to mention that I received an email from my HR department offering me a $2k stay bonus if I agree to finish out the contract, which is expected to end November 30. No conditions or anything other than staying until the end. I was already planning on riding the contract down in flames before heading off to Florida, but an extra two grand doesn't hurt. Going to talk to the flight lead about the Virtualization Admin position and see if I can move over to it. He might say no just to be a dick.

Daylen Drazzi fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 17, 2015

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Comcast.

Bought a modem, signed up for a plan, connected at my new place. Activated modem, got link. Then I checked my speed and got like 0.1 Mbps through it and internet is unusable. I did some troubleshooting thing where they rebooted my modem and now I get no link at all. Great, MiFi for the whole weekend it is I guess. Of course, the only time slots available for a guy to look at it tomorrow are 07.30-08 and 08-10.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
Things not pissing me off: doing client work in Beijing.

Things pissing me off: Waiting on the system so much, I caught up with the end of the thread and have no more entertainment.

To the expense chat, things pissing me off: our Indian finance department. I don't mean that in a pejorative sense, I literally mean our finances are run out of our Indian office. This leads to about the predictable result you would expect.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Exit Strategy posted:

On Saturday.

Sure is.

Can you spend the rest of the time studying for certs to help you :yotj:?

edit:

Collateral Damage posted:

My favorite are the HP array controller cache batteries which technically aren't hot swappable, but I've never had a problem doing it that way. Since the little fuckers have a MTBF of less than a year it would severely affect :byodood: my uptime :byodood: if I couldn't.

You still need to reboot the machine before the array controller stops whining about it though.
Late to the party, but gently caress those things. I got a ticket for the same one of those loving things two weeks in a row. One of them I had to do on Friday. In Scottsbluff, Nebraska, 2.5-3 hours from home. After hours, of course. For a retail store that closed at 9. And the procedure took 1.5-2 hours at least, because I had to call our helpdesk, who called the store's helpdesk, who called the store's sysadmins to shut the server down. Then half an hour later, their helpdesk called me to tell me it was shut down. Then I replace it (which took all of 5-10 minutes after the first time), do the above phone process again, wait another half hour for it to come up, and then get called to be told I can go.

Thankfully, I had a company phone that I had no compunctions about using the hotspot to browse the forums while I was waiting. On the other hand, the company's estimated time to task said it should take no more than an hour and a half, so I had to write up why it took me longer.

The third and last time I did it, thankfully closer to home, the store's helpdesk forgot to call me back for an hour and a half.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 17, 2015

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Can you spend the rest of the time studying for certs to help you :yotj:?

Pointless. In four months I quit IT forever and go back to the magic and fun that is education.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Exit Strategy posted:

Pointless. In four months I quit IT forever and go back to the magic and fun that is education.

running back into the fire with a gas can.png

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

luminalflux posted:

Comcast.

Bought a modem, signed up for a plan, connected at my new place. Activated modem, got link. Then I checked my speed and got like 0.1 Mbps through it and internet is unusable. I did some troubleshooting thing where they rebooted my modem and now I get no link at all. Great, MiFi for the whole weekend it is I guess. Of course, the only time slots available for a guy to look at it tomorrow are 07.30-08 and 08-10.

Are you on WiFi? Does your upstream look reasonable but your downstream is garbage? http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Comcast_download_speed_fix_for_Linksys_eSeries

Ignore URL, the issue affects multiple consumer routers.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

MrMoo posted:

Conversely it is pretty lovely that you don't add common names to your database, the system should adapt to the people not the other way around.

Also, so many organizations use VoIP integrated apps these days, you should be able to automatically pull up all the issues and people associated with the phone number calling.

That's difficult as it's a hospital and different users use different PCs\phones during the day.

Now, common names if it's what you go by is fine but when you go by Joe and your last name is Smith and there's like 10 Joe Smith entries, that's where giving your given name becomes necessary.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Skype for Business/Lync is pissing me off. It loving hangs any time I try to move the window. I can launch it, I can send or receive messages, I can go into settings and everything will work. If I click on the top of the window to move it, it goes to Not Responding and then I have to kill it.

I've tried quick repair, the online repair, I've removed Office and re-installed, I've disabled Kaspersky while I re-installed, I installed the 64-bit version (I previously had the 32-bit version), I turned off Aero transparency, I've removed my bluetooth driver. After the last two, rebooting will let me launch and move around the window. Once. Then it goes back to hanging every time.

I have full logging on but I didn't see anything in the logs that jumped out as what's happening (then again, I don't know what I'm looking for). Even though it says it's sending to the event viewer also I didn't find anything Lync related in there. It's driving me goddamn insane

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Irritated Goat posted:

That's difficult as it's a hospital and different users use different PCs\phones during the day.

Now, common names if it's what you go by is fine but when you go by Joe and your last name is Smith and there's like 10 Joe Smith entries, that's where giving your given name becomes necessary.

If they go by Joe Smith and their given names are all Joseph, how is that any better?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm not the only one, sometimes I'll close a previous message with a co-worker and the whole application will crash and restart.

I'm running a brand new Win7 laptop with nothing special aside from all the latest updates and Office.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

myron cope posted:

Skype for Business/Lync is pissing me off. It loving hangs any time I try to move the window. I can launch it, I can send or receive messages, I can go into settings and everything will work. If I click on the top of the window to move it, it goes to Not Responding and then I have to kill it.

I've tried quick repair, the online repair, I've removed Office and re-installed, I've disabled Kaspersky while I re-installed, I installed the 64-bit version (I previously had the 32-bit version), I turned off Aero transparency, I've removed my bluetooth driver. After the last two, rebooting will let me launch and move around the window. Once. Then it goes back to hanging every time.

I have full logging on but I didn't see anything in the logs that jumped out as what's happening (then again, I don't know what I'm looking for). Even though it says it's sending to the event viewer also I didn't find anything Lync related in there. It's driving me goddamn insane

I actually think I found it: aquasnap. When I disable it Lync will launch and function fine. Even if I reenable aqua snap after, Lync will still work. It's only if I launch Lync while aquasnap is running.

loving hell that took me forever to figure out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

If they go by Joe Smith and their given names are all Joseph, how is that any better?

We do preferred names for our SSO IDs and directories, and there are a lot of nicknames that have absolutely nothing to do with their real name. I know, because it's T1's job to make accounts. It would be nice to be able to script it, but scripts are disabled on our computers. Actually, I should check that again since I wasn't made an AD admin until after I tried.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
NOT impressed with my gaming laptop. What kind of gaming laptop overheats even when I bought a cooling pad for it?? Now my dad wants me to buy a bunch more random stuff I'm not going to buy and the laptop still overheats. What a joke.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A3th3r posted:

NOT impressed with my gaming laptop. What kind of gaming laptop overheats even when I bought a cooling pad for it?? Now my dad wants me to buy a bunch more random stuff I'm not going to buy and the laptop still overheats. What a joke.

I think you're looking for this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Haha, you rear end in a top hat. :)

But I agree. There's never been a good reason to buy a gaming laptop. Gaming == graphics cards to laptop manufacturers, and graphics cards eat power like nothing else. A mid-range graphics card will take the same amount of power as every other component in the system. And that power has to go somewhere; of your 75 watts of graphics card, < 10mW are emitted as LED lights or what have you, and the rest is heat. Amazon has a stock of 150W space heaters, so you can imagine that you're basically running half a space heater inside your box. I don't care how good your thermal design is, that's not going to work outside of a walk-in fridge, or McMurdo station.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
This is why the idea of external GPUs is so interesting, but Intel seems pretty focused on stopping it, refusing to let anyone sell a Thunderbolt-certified device that has a video card in it, or even just provides a PCI-e slot without putting a "Not for use with graphics cards" disclaimer on them and limiting the PCI-e slot power below the spec's 75 watts.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sinestro posted:

This is why the idea of external GPUs is so interesting, but Intel seems pretty focused on stopping it, refusing to let anyone sell a Thunderbolt-certified device that has a video card in it, or even just provides a PCI-e slot without putting a "Not for use with graphics cards" disclaimer on them and limiting the PCI-e slot power below the spec's 75 watts.

There's practically no laptop models out there that actually support Thunderbolt in the first place though. It's mostly just Macs.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

SolTerrasa posted:

Haha, you rear end in a top hat. :)

But I agree. There's never been a good reason to buy a gaming laptop. Gaming == graphics cards to laptop manufacturers, and graphics cards eat power like nothing else. A mid-range graphics card will take the same amount of power as every other component in the system. And that power has to go somewhere; of your 75 watts of graphics card, < 10mW are emitted as LED lights or what have you, and the rest is heat. Amazon has a stock of 150W space heaters, so you can imagine that you're basically running half a space heater inside your box. I don't care how good your thermal design is, that's not going to work outside of a walk-in fridge, or McMurdo station.

Wife bought an Asus gaming laptop when she was working a 2 week on/2 week off rotation flying in and out of a remote'ish community. No space for anything else, and it gave her something to do.

Yes, a tower (For most people) is better, but gaming laptops do have a place.

Its also 5 or 6 years old and still going strong.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's practically no laptop models out there that actually support Thunderbolt in the first place though. It's mostly just Macs.

There's hardly any worthwhile peripherals becaus Intel are retards holding back the licensing of devices.
Without a peripheral market there's no point making computers with TB ports because the consumers have no want or need.

Intel are killing thunderbolt through incompetence.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

theperminator posted:

There's hardly any worthwhile peripherals becaus Intel are retards holding back the licensing of devices.
Without a peripheral market there's no point making computers with TB ports because the consumers have no want or need.

That's interesting.

I was really hoping for major vendors would support external GPUs but I guess it's just not happening.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Karanth posted:

Are you on WiFi? Does your upstream look reasonable but your downstream is garbage? http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Comcast_download_speed_fix_for_Linksys_eSeries

Ignore URL, the issue affects multiple consumer routers.

Nope, ethernet directly, in glorious bachelor fashion running through my hallway coiled like a sidewinder snaking gracefully down my carpet. Comcast tech came, looked at it, said "your modem's bad", hooked in a comcast provided one and lo and behold I got my hard-earned 125/12 Mbps.

Of course, now there's an outage that won't be fixed until 1AM. loving third-world internet in the bay area, I long for my Mexico City ISP that gave me 100/100 on fiber.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

luminalflux posted:

Nope, ethernet directly, in glorious bachelor fashion running through my hallway coiled like a sidewinder snaking gracefully down my carpet. Comcast tech came, looked at it, said "your modem's bad", hooked in a comcast provided one and lo and behold I got my hard-earned 125/12 Mbps.

Of course, now there's an outage that won't be fixed until 1AM. loving third-world internet in the bay area, I long for my Mexico City ISP that gave me 100/100 on fiber.

interesting conversation here but does anyone else remember the time when everything was LAN cables? Like your standard WLAN Ethernet cable was literally the ONLY way to connect to the internet or connect to other computers. Not actually that long ago now that I think about it.. about 2 laptops ago or so that was pretty much standard. And WiFi-enabled routers were expensive, new gadgets that few people had.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A gaming laptop is just fine

when someone else is paying for it, and when you have physically torn it down and rebuilt it, including replacing all the cooling paste and removing any obstructions to fan and airflow, and formatted the OEM OS and installed your own.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I can almost see you going at the innards of a laptop with a dremel to improve airflow :v:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

theperminator posted:

Is this something that USB 3.1 could handle? Speeds apparently on par with Thunderbolt and it's an open standard

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A3th3r posted:

interesting conversation here but does anyone else remember the time when everything was LAN cables? Like your standard WLAN Ethernet cable was literally the ONLY way to connect to the internet or connect to other computers. Not actually that long ago now that I think about it.. about 2 laptops ago or so that was pretty much standard. And WiFi-enabled routers were expensive, new gadgets that few people had.

Yea, I learned how to make a router out of an old pentium 100 and some spare 3com network cards, the ip masquerading guide, I salvaged an old nortel 100mb hub from work and had Ethernet cables running all over my apartment so me and five friends could all be online at once

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A3th3r posted:

WLAN ethernet cable? With just the shielding, right :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wibla posted:

I can almost see you going at the innards of a laptop with a dremel to improve airflow :v:

Ny friend picked up a $100 gaming laptop off craigslist that was clogged with so much dust it would shut down after a half hour. He opened it up, cleaned it out, and dremeled out some fake airflow vents so they actually worked. Now he uses it daily.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ny friend picked up a $100 gaming laptop off craigslist that was clogged with so much dust it would shut down after a half hour. He opened it up, cleaned it out, and dremeled out some fake airflow vents so they actually worked. Now he uses it daily.

Someone handed in an old, slow, noisy Precision M4500 here and got a new laptop. Highlights were that it had a quad core i7 with HT and Full HD display. Some elbow grease, a $10 new fan from ebay, SSD and 8GB 1333MHz RAM from a newer laptop that someone spilled wine on and now it's a beast!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evobatman posted:

A gaming laptop is just fine :words:

Eh,

They're okay but I honestly can't take anything that's covered in multicolored LEDs seriously. A Thinkpad with Thunderbolt would potentially replace my desktop assuming I could get a decent eGPU.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Gaming laptops have a well deserved reputation thanks to Alienware but there are some pretty nondescript models out there. Personally I'm at almost 3 years on a Sager and couldn't be happier. I would advise anyone purchasing one that you be comfortable enough to disassemble and cleans fans/heat sink periodically, especially if you own pets. A tube of NT-H1 and a can of compressed air go a long way towards longevity.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

TopherCStone posted:

Is this something that USB 3.1 could handle? Speeds apparently on par with Thunderbolt and it's an open standard

Sadly, no. Thunderbolt's bus speed is 20 Gb/s with not very much overhead at all, while the best they've been able to pump down USB 3.1 is 7.2 Gb/s after an encoding change to reduce overhead. I've never seen or heard of an actual throughput test for Thunderbolt to give a fair comparison, but if we're talking external GPUs then even the theoretical 10 Gb/s of 3.1 wouldn't cut it at all.

I'm sad ExpressCard died out, you could actually do some pretty sweet external GPU solutions if you knew what you were doing and could pay the price. Several years ago I had a laptop with dual ExpressCard slots and I managed to find an external GPU adapter that could accept multiple links, put my GTX 260 in there and I could scream along at max settings on just about anything. Sad to see those days go, Intel HD Graphics are just complete poo poo.

e: though I do recommend trying out the laptops that use AMD's VISION technology, that thing is the poo poo. Using multiple small GPUs in parallel is the way to go, apparently.

RyuHimora fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm also not sure a USB port can push 75w. Maybe a powered USB port, but I've never seen one on a laptop.