Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sweet he should have enough left over to lease some sweet rims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

There was a kid in our battalion when I was at Ft. Hood that was convinced to lease rims from an auto accessory place at $70 a week.

Lease rims

For $70 a week

In 2000 dollars

On E-2 pay

On a car worth $1500

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I used to give my DEPs a class specifically about buying swords and 2015 camaros as E1s. Some listened, some did not. Then I stopped caring.

Had one kid buy a 2006 Dakota at for 16k at 18% interest tell me he got a good deal because they threw in an amplifier :(

How many got sweet moto tats before they actually shipped to basic?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
in 3+ years none that i'm aware of.

Surprisingly.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

not caring here posted:

Scouts are second only to infantry for contributing to making the army a miserable bunch of gently caress dumb.

debatable which is first gayest

benem
Feb 15, 2012
Having been a PL in both scout and tank platoons, I highly recommend sucking whatever dick necessary to get on tanks. If for no other reason than the fact that your hand receipt is only one page long.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Everyone knows airborne is the heart of the Army's darkness. When I found out that Bragg has the highest concentration of West Point graduates everything made sense.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Great. I guess I'll go people watching at the Walmart and ask a local girl to the Cracker Barrel.

I know this next question is going to bring about some comedy, but how do those glow belt things work? Do I need to wear it in civvies? In the nude while I'm in my hotel room?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

You know nevernude? It's like that. Never be without reflective belt.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
turn your reflective belt into a noose and end your suffering before it starts

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

germskr posted:

I know this next question is going to bring about some comedy, but how do those glow belt things work? Do I need to wear it in civvies? In the nude while I'm in my hotel room?

If you're in 2/1 ID circa 2010 at JRTC, you have to wear it 100% of the time, including while sitting in the TOC. You never know when a rogue LMTV is going to crash through wall and then decide to stop before it hits you because you've got that belt on.

Soxorz
Aug 15, 2002
I sleep with the fishes
So I'm finishing up the army's new flight paramedic training path and got orders to Fort Bliss and I have a few questions. How lovely is it at Bliss? I was at Fort Carson before which is my only point of reference for army bases, I mostly trail run/ drink/Auto/Rally cross. Also is Aviation as great as I have been hearing it is or is it just the same nonsense as a Cav unit?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Weirdly I only wear my pt belt for pt at OCS and didn't even have one at BCT. I was expecting more PT belts from tradoc.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Certified mail from my old unit waiting for me at the post office. Guess I find out whatever they did with me tomorrow.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Certified mail from my old unit waiting for me at the post office. Guess I find out whatever they did with me tomorrow.

Did you just stop showing up or something?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Like I've said before, long story. It's been a long time since they sent me anything certified so hoping this is something about discharge.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Like I've said before, long story. It's been a long time since they sent me anything certified so hoping this is something about discharge.

If we're talking reserves, it's most likely a Notice of Separation. You have 30 days to respond. I'd read it carefully and find out how they're characterizing your service.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Soxorz posted:

So I'm finishing up the army's new flight paramedic training path and got orders to Fort Bliss and I have a few questions. How lovely is it at Bliss? I was at Fort Carson before which is my only point of reference for army bases, I mostly trail run/ drink/Auto/Rally cross. Also is Aviation as great as I have been hearing it is or is it just the same nonsense as a Cav unit?

Fort Carson is in the top 2 requested of army bases, and I don't think anyone has ever requested Bliss. I'm sure aviation has it's own dumb poo poo, but there's really nothing much more dumb than Cav. Arguably infantry, but heavy cav does field time better.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Kiryen posted:

If it's not still off-limits, Party Cove at Lake of the Ozarks. Just be at least a little careful; it's not a good idea to get drunk and fall off a boat and drown and ruin it for everyone else, tia.

Other than that, I hope you like hanging out at tiny local bars with very friendly rednecks.

Sadly I think it is off-limits but as I'm in a different branch... I'm sure I'll find some way to rationalize myself going there. For... uhh... research/educational purposes only. The link is actually pretty hilarious/entertaining.

NWS but looks like a fun time

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

The girls used to get full nude there then they started cracking down in 2008 or so after some drownings.

Because nudity causes drownings, not alcohol consumption.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kiryen posted:

The girls used to get full nude there then they started cracking down in 2008 or so after some drownings.

Because nudity causes drownings, not alcohol consumption.

Still full of nude people as of 2011.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

psydude posted:

Still full of nude people as of 2011.

Best news I've heard in weeks.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

psydude posted:

Nope, wasn't an 11A!

They kept trying to make him go to ranger school, and he kept angrily telling them to gently caress off. Last I heard, he's been accepted to grad school in Europe (was stationed with the 173rd in Germany).

My desire to go to ranger school is getting to be less and less the longer I am in and the closer I get to O3.

Edit: Also my general Army motivation. Maybe it will perk up in the Civil Affairs land I go to next.

Dream Weaver fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 18, 2015

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

White Chocolate posted:

My desire to go to ranger school is getting to be less and less the longer I am in and the closer I get to O3.

Edit: Also my general Army motivation. Maybe it will perk up in the Civil Affairs land I go to next.

Just remember, your schools can gently caress you pretty bad. If you've got airborne you can end up at Fort Bragg quicker than gently caress. Same with ranger. And air assault as well I think.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

not caring here posted:

Just remember, your schools can gently caress you pretty bad. If you've got airborne you can end up at Fort Bragg quicker than gently caress. Same with ranger. And air assault as well I think.

Air Assault definitely. Everyone knows that they'll be coming back to Campbell at some point because of those stupid wings.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

White Chocolate posted:

It'll just keep getting worse. Even my most try-hard of classmates and friends no longer give a gently caress.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
As everyone knows, it's now All American week. Due to my profile, I get to spend my time as a score keeper for softball. As such, I got to see a cav unit show up in their unit pts while wearing stetsons or whatever those gay cowboy hats are called.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've never seen a group of people stress the laws of physics by disappearing up their own assholes in an effort to huff their farts as hard as First Cav. I say that only because I had no direct interaction with 82nd assholes, so they're probably a tie there. Cav units feel like the helmet-wearing, window-licking special kids of the army to me. "WE'LL HAVE ANOTHER BATTLE OF THE BULGE ANY DAY NOW, I'M STILL RELEVANT".

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The worst are people who have been in first cav, and deployed with the 82nd.

Alllll motherfuckin' day, "back in FIRST CAV we did it this way" or "when I DEPLOYED WITH THE 82ND we did it this way" and then everyone just rolls their eyes and tries to think up any excuse to be elsewhere.

Without fail it was always the dumbest way to do anything.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Soxorz posted:

I just separated at Bliss and still live in El Paso. It's basically a mid point between Fort Carson and Kandahar - run down, dusty mountains (in between the two extremes of quality), lots of brown people, but of a better quality than Afghanistan. The Fort Bliss facilities (if you're in a 1AD unit) are very new and nice, much better than the old poo poo I was in at Carson.

I honestly think it's the most underrated post in the Army. El Paso is nearly a million people, so you've got more to do than you think, and there are lots of cool places in New Mexico within a 4 hour drive.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Got the envelope, it's a sep packet like I thought. Bunch of forms to fill out, documentation, and a JAG contact. I'm relieved to get this done. It's the last thread I have to a period of my life where I was making terrible, terrible decisions.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'm near Ft Hood and it seems like every other commercial is a salute to ARE TROOPS

I finally understand why people at Hood want to shoot each other so often

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Got the envelope, it's a sep packet like I thought. Bunch of forms to fill out, documentation, and a JAG contact. I'm relieved to get this done. It's the last thread I have to a period of my life where I was making terrible, terrible decisions.

Well done.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

not caring here posted:

If I could go active I would have already. Much love for the reserves though.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's official now, I'm going to be an armor officer. ABOLC looks pretty fun from the YouTube videos seen.

What are some schools I should try to get here at benning after ABOLC? I've heard good things about ARC from a couple of armor officers from 3rd ID.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mustang posted:

It's official now, I'm going to be an armor officer. ABOLC looks pretty fun from the YouTube videos seen.

What are some schools I should try to get here at benning after ABOLC? I've heard good things about ARC from a couple of armor officers from 3rd ID.

ranger, which would also get you airborne.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I hear ARC is actually a legit good school. Never got to go, myself, but if you have the opportunity, take it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mustang posted:

You're gonna run into my old unit who runs support for ABOLC and ARC. Your fellow butter bar compatriots are going to be a massive loving pain in the balls, statistically, you will too.

Most of you are gonna be super hooah and nearly die from heat stroke because dumb.

Most of you are gonna be super hooah and say gently caress REST PLANS when you are planning your mounted ops. You will figure this out soon enough that you will make a rest plan.

Find the national guard guys because they are almost without fail the best dudes. Mainly because they're usually 1LTs and also had to get a real job and live like an adult without a spoon in their mouth which puts them at a huge advantage over the rest of you. Use the NG guys to make you look good.

There are no good schools on Benning that are available to officers. The ones that you can go to will only gently caress you in later assignments to lovely rear end posts doing lovely rear end jobs. Armor don't give a gently caress about ranger, airborne, air assault or any of that bullshit, it will only get you looked at favourably for getting thrown to the lovely units. My advice is either ride out your obligation and get out and get a real job or try to rebranch to something that's less retarded when you can.

As for anyone from 3ID go and have a look at their stupid loving sign out front of their footprint in Kelly Hill or whatever the gently caress it's called. If number of days without a DUI has hit double digits that'll be a shock. If the number of days without a fatal training accident have hit triple figures then you should go buy a lottery ticket. 3ID are dumber than gently caress and while you shouldn't listen to anyone in the military for any kind of real advice you really shouldn't listen to anyone from 3ID.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Cole posted:

ranger, which would also get you airborne.

If you actually want to be an armor officer, don't do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm not even remotely super hooah. I actually hate the word Hooah

The NG guys in my OCS class seem exactly the opposite from the way you describe them. They're not bad or anything, but there's more turds among them then there are in AD.

• Locked thread