Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

That scene with the Sand Snakes and Team J&B was so dumb. Like...that was the plan? Really? In the middle of the day, in the middle of the water gardens, you're just gonna whisk her away? And the Sand Snakes were going to take her...under the water gardens? What the hell.

Also Areo Hotah looked slow as poo poo with that ridiculous looking axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
You can always tell yourself this show takes place in an alternate universe where the human beings really suck.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
So Producer Bryan Cogman had this to say

“This isn’t a timid little girl walking into a wedding night with Joffrey. This is a hardened woman making a choice and she sees this as the way to get back her homeland. Sansa has a wedding night in the sense she never thought she would with one of the monsters of the show. It’s pretty intense and awful and the character will have to deal with it.”"

also

“The difference between the Ramsay Snow of the books and the show is the Ramsay of the show is not a famous psycho,” he said. “He’s not known everywhere as a psycho. So Littlefinger doesn’t have the intelligence on him. He knows they’re scary and creepy and not to be folly trusted and it’s part of a larger plan.”

It could be worse guys at least Theon was actually forced to...join in, as I've heard happened in the book equivalent.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I've never posted in this thread before, but I wanted to see the reactions to this episode in the hopes of understanding mine. Both my wife and I, and she's read the books, simultaneously decided we are done with the show. I can't think of a show I liked so much that I abandoned so abruptly.

I'm not here to tell people who still like the show how wrong they are, I'm hoping to understand why I don't anymore. Yeah, the final scene was the last straw so to speak, but this is a show that has built a mountain of cruelty out of worse things than happened to Sansa. Maybe the rest of the show has stalled out such that it can't rise above the brutality? I honestly don't know.

Is your wife making you post this?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, Sansa really had no way of knowing what kind of a person Ramsay was until Myranda let her in on the whole story. Maybe she could have surmised something from what happened to Theon, I suppose

The Bolton family crest is a Flayed man. That X-cross with a man hanging upside down with his guts falling out. The family is famous for its Sadism and Torture. It really is their "thing", she might not know Ramsay's individual inclinations, but it's a pretty safe bet he's a torturer and a sadist. And also, he's the kind of person whose behavior makes the man who stabbed her brother's pregnant wife in the uterus uncomfortable at family dinner.

I think it's a safe bet she knew, she's just not completely comfortable doing what she knows she has to do.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder if the showrunners would have been better served trying a different narrative structure with this season. Before, intercutting between different plotlines made sense because what happened in one part of the story affected others. This season, however, everything has been incredibly self-contained. Maybe if they had done a whole episode on Mereen, a whole ep with Tyrion/Jorah, an ep with the Night's Watch, an ep with Jaime/Dorne, an ep at King's Landing, an ep at Braavos, and then flow everything back together for the last couple episodes, it would feel more dynamic.

The showrunners have to deal with a 5 year gap that was planned in the books yet never happened, and two books that never went anywhere. I'm still impressed they're turning like 3,000 pages and 11 years of GRRM into one season of TV.

Next season should be awesome.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Life in Westeros loving suucckkssss for everyone and if you haven't picked it up by now I dunno what to tell you

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013

VBane posted:

So Producer Bryan Cogman had this to say

“The difference between the Ramsay Snow of the books and the show is the Ramsay of the show is not a famous psycho,” he said. “He’s not known everywhere as a psycho. "

Why? Aren't the Boltons the wardens of the north? Shouldn't they be famous for betraying the Starks? At the very least Ramsey's depravity should have been poo poo to scare kids into staying into bed or something. How do you keep woman hunting under wraps? Ramsey wouldn't

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Barreft posted:

Next season should be awesome.

Is this the point where the show officially goes past the books story wise?

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
That scene was really uncomfortable to watch, but everyone's all "they ruined sansa's strong agency" and I think that's even more hosed up than a rape scene because rape victims can in fact be strong people with agency.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

A Tasteful Nude posted:

That scene was really uncomfortable to watch, but everyone's all "they ruined sansa's strong agency" and I think that's even more hosed up than a rape scene because rape victims can in fact be strong people with agency.
I mean if you think about it those people are saying "she was raped so she's ruined now"

Which... uh.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Nope now she is a rape victim and nothing more sorry

Never mind that the one true king of Westeros is about to kick the door in at Winterfell and gently caress that whole lovely house to death

Can't loving wait for the rest of the season

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is this the point where the show officially goes past the books story wise?

It already is.

Sansa never went to Winterfell. Neither did Brienne. I'm really excited to see how they do this storyline because there's so many major players involved.

Stannis/Davos/Melisandre/Shireen vs Ramsay/Roose + Sansa/Reek and the wildcard Brienne/Pod.

It's a total show made plot and I hope for the best.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Everybody's getting into it!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

My Q-Face posted:

Twitter is a pointless wasteland but as tweets go, that's one of the best tweets I've ever seen.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

The Duggler posted:

Nope now she is a rape victim and nothing more sorry

Never mind that the one true king of Westeros is about to kick the door in at Winterfell and gently caress that whole lovely house to death

Can't loving wait for the rest of the season

Yea the best part about Boltons vs Stannis are its pitting some people who flay their enemies against a guy who burns people alive for his God.

Stannis is probably the scarier of the two in that sense.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The season has been a little slow, but yeah, I feel like shits gonna go down hard. They've been building up. Stannis hitting Winterfel is going to be great. Olenna coming back and then seeing her family get hosed over by the sparrows and Cersei is for sure going to have some payoff. Tyrion and Mormont are going to head back to Mireen. I'm excited. Arya's story sadly may not go too far though. I feel like her story has gone a bit bland.

But for all this seasons faults, at least we haven't had to suffer through any Bran!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
FSU twitter is telling me that nothing actually happened with Sansa and Ramsay? :shrug:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Master Twig posted:

The season has been a little slow, but yeah, I feel like shits gonna go down hard. They've been building up. Stannis hitting Winterfel is going to be great. Olenna coming back and then seeing her family get hosed over by the sparrows and Cersei is for sure going to have some payoff. Tyrion and Mormont are going to head back to Mireen. I'm excited. Arya's story sadly may not go too far though. I feel like her story has gone a bit bland.

But for all this seasons faults, at least we haven't had to suffer through any Bran!

It's the middle road where they're doing the 2 worst books, just telling GRRM to gently caress off and making them into one season is funny enough, since he thought they could make 3 seasons out of this. It's not great but they have to deal with GRRM's bloat someway, and since no more books are coming out they also have to start making their own stories for the next 2 seasons to end it.

It's gotta be a weird situation to be in.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Frackie Robinson posted:

FSU twitter is telling me that nothing actually happened with Sansa and Ramsay? :shrug:
The Bolton House Guard has thoroughly investigated the situation and chosen not to press charges.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
To be honest, when it was set-up that she was gonna get married to him, the only outcomes were her getting raped or her killing him before she got raped. Tyrion not consummating the wedding was a huge point of contention with his father, and Ramsay isn't exactly the understanding guy that Tyrion is.

Hopefully, she still gets to stab him later in the season

If your going to quit watching the show over a bad scene, it should be over the horrible fight choreography in the Sand Snakes vs Jaime fight.

Frackie Robinson posted:

:bravo:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I am lmbo at everyone butthurt about this episode

The Glumslinger posted:

If your going to quit watching the show over a bad scene, it should be over the horrible fight choreography in the Sand Snakes vs Jaime fight.

The worst crime this episode committed.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Yeah, I'm actually starting to get suuuuper frustrated by people having this reaction and I'm gonna be pissed if this becomes ~a thing~. I really don't want to watch a week-long internet argument about whether being raped constitutes a terminal loss of agency, because holy poo poo.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

:agreed:

If this show can't even pull off good fight scenes any more what's the point

jsun
Jun 23, 2004

I've brought you some cake and wine
Am I looking at this the wrong way? Sansa had agency; if she needed help she could have lit that tower candle to call for help. Instead she chose to marry Roose in order to exact vengeance for her family. Sansa knew what was going to happen and it was terrible to watch for sure, but there's a bigger picture than her just being a victim.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Holy gently caress, that scene with the sand snakes. Dorne's plot is so terrible, their warmongering makes no loving sense. Also why aren't they killed for conspiring to kill the prince's betrothed?

Can't believe Bronn is gonna die for this poo poo.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

kloa posted:

I am lmbo at everyone butthurt about this episode

The worst crime this episode committed.
I like how people think that 'butthurt' is in any way effective at minimizing people's dislike of something.

I didn't like this.
lol at you being butthurt
Ahh fair point, I like it now.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

My Q-Face posted:

Oh shut up Kale

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Tumblr is going insane right now. :allears:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ultramiraculous posted:

Yeah, I'm actually starting to get suuuuper frustrated by people having this reaction and I'm gonna be pissed if this becomes ~a thing~. I really don't want to watch a week-long internet argument about whether being raped constitutes a terminal loss of agency, because holy poo poo.

I wouldnt even qualify that as a rape. She decided way back at Moat Cailin to go through with this marriage and most marriages include intercourse. The only hosed up thing about it was the whole Theon mind games thing.

No she didnt like it and no she didnt wanna be there doing that but she did say she takes him as her husband so theres that. Way to keep on making dumbfuck decisions Sansa.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tired Moritz posted:

Holy gently caress, that scene with the sand snakes. Dorne's plot is so terrible, their warmongering makes no loving sense. Also why aren't they killed for conspiring to kill the prince's betrothed?

Can't believe Bronn is gonna die for this poo poo.

I mean, they arrested them. I assume they are going to go to trial for doing exactly that.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I like how people think that 'butthurt' is in any way effective at minimizing people's dislike of something.

I didn't like this.
lol at you being butthurt
Ahh fair point, I like it now.

You say that like the "lol at you being butthurt" people actually care about minimizing dislike versus laughing at people for being butthurt.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

jsun posted:

Am I looking at this the wrong way? Sansa had agency; if she needed help she could have lit that tower candle to call for help. Instead she chose to marry Roose in order to exact vengeance for her family. Sansa knew what was going to happen and it was terrible to watch for sure, but there's a bigger picture than her just being a victim.
You are not wrong.

This didn't require a spoiler

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

People minimize others dislike of things because it doesn't matter to them. It's a TV show. Nobody is going to try to convince you to like something why spend effort doing the opposite?

When people post about things they don't like it's the worst type of posting. I realize the irony of this post.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
A few dudes said the scene made them uncomfortable enough to stop watching the show, the defense squad didn't need to form up, honestly. You war is on tumblr or wherever the gently caress.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I still think Sansa knows what she is doing. She's playing a longer game. Ramsey might be the most terrible but being happily married to him in Winterfell was not her plan. Attempting to kill Ramsey now would have accomplished basically nothing and just set her plans way back especially with the Theon wild card in the room.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, they arrested them. I assume they are going to go to trial for doing exactly that.

But why not before? Your brother's girlfriend is talking about how she's gonna kill her. Maybe it would have been a rational thing to have more guards protecting her and instantly lock her up? People got in trouble for dumber things.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I think giving the sparrows all this power is gonna backfire on a lush like Cersei.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Things like this just make me continue to remember that I'm too old to understand things like Tumblr. Like, in order to see those posts would I have had to follow a bunch of blogs that posted about GoT all the time?

• Locked thread