Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I legitimately do not understand how to play the Cleveland. It is not at all fun for me to constantly miss because of shell travel time, or to close in with destroyers and other cruisers and get shredded

Instead I play the Myoko, which was a good ship at tier 8 and only had its torpedoes nerfed during the move. It's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I legitimately do not understand how to play the Cleveland. It is not at all fun for me to constantly miss because of shell travel time, or to close in with destroyers and other cruisers and get shredded

Instead I play the Myoko, which was a good ship at tier 8 and only had its torpedoes nerfed during the move. It's pretty great.

It has a fantastic rate of fire, so figure out how to hit at max range, and then proceed to rain fire and brimstone (HE) on everything. I killed a pair of DD's, a New Orleans and an Aoba in a match today (or maybe last night, my memory is terrible) with the Cleveland on the stupid ice map. :black101:

It's also possible to just straight up DPS down a battleship in just a couple of minutes if you don't catch any solid citadel hits or he's distracted shooting at other BB's.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

rossmum posted:

Having a surprisingly good time in the NM. Not a bad ship, even if it is ugly. :colbert:

e: :japan:

Patch broke the Rising Sun though, RIP
New Mexico is cooler than your crap rear end Yamato, sorry to break this to you

My favourite part of the Yamato is driving at the side of one and pretending I'm fighting a Contra boss or some poo poo cause Axis weaponry only makes sense if you think of them as making weapons for video game bad guys

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Wow, Amagi AA is no joke. Just killed 20 aircraft.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
What's the deal with x4? I see people posting that. Is it a EU server thing, or one of the flags you can add?

Also, I love the Atlanta:

The guy TK_Konstantin was playing Horatio Nimitz and ordering people around and then was complaining when people weren't following his orders. :jerkbag:

Also, 16k in fire damage. I'm loving the pyro perk for my cruiser captain.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
x4 is for EU people, yeah.

The Mogami with the 155mm guns is still great after the patch. Got Double Strike and another Confederate with it in a game tonight.

Saying "thanks for flags" when an achievement pops really sets off a chat explosion, haha. Especially after a Double Strike.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Trying to get into the goons channel, but it's not working. I don't get a prompt for a password or anything, it just stays in the task bar and won't open. Is this a known bug or am I missing something here?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Magni posted:

As for Yamato:

She's a good ship now. :japan:

:captainpop:

Holy poo poo that exp!

Crash74
May 11, 2009
I get this every so option when it bugs out. Try right clicking on the channel name and see if a text box pops up with the option to join the channel.

E: why does the na server aways get jack diddley squat for these bonuses that the ru and en servers gets?

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 18, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Crash74 posted:

E: why does the na server aways get jack diddley squat for these bonuses that the ru and en servers gets?

Because people in NA already have the best bonus of all :fsmug:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Had the best game in my New York game...that ended in a loss, 6 kills, High Caliber Confederate, and Devastating Strike gave me 300k in credits and almost 3000 in xp :negative:

Also in capture the point rounds, If one team fails so much that they get to zero points, it is an instant win to the other team :smith:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Stevefin posted:

Had the best game in my New York game...that ended in a loss, 6 kills, High Caliber Confederate, and Devastating Strike gave me 300k in credits and almost 3000 in xp :negative:

Also in capture the point rounds, If one team fails so much that they get to zero points, it is an instant win to the other team :smith:

Soooo, suicide your carrier + 2bb platoon each match and listen to the wailing from the pubbies?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Every time I see a US CV run a bomber loadout I cry a little on the inside

"Oh sick we have an Essex that's gonna poo poo all over the lower-tier CVs on the other team" *watches as 3 DBs and 2 TBs lift off* :negative:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Insert name here posted:

"Oh sick we have an Essex that's gonna poo poo all over the lower-tier CVs on the other team" *watches as 3 DBs and 2 TBs lift off* :negative:

To be fair, all the other loadouts loving suck.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Insert name here posted:

The alternative is a fighter loadout that just gets to circle around a while not even making GBS threads on the lower tier CVs, bar shooting down their planes

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Magni posted:

New Mexico is one of the highlights of the line. Enjoy her while you can, the Colorado is just pure misery by all accounts.

I am not liking the Colorado at all, the stock ship is TB bait, doesn't help that most of those 4 spawn maps are too hard for pubbies to play. Your CR and DD gently caress off into the tiny channels where you shouldn't drive your BB and leave you alone to die.

Hopefully this thing gets better with the 1945 hull, the 1930whatever hull already added some AA which should help some.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Insert name here posted:

I wouldnt knock this, either. I was in a game last week with Aleksandr_Kerensky and he used that load out and took out a full fighter Essex and ended the match with 4 kills, top o match.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

I am not liking the Colorado at all, the stock ship is TB bait, doesn't help that most of those 4 spawn maps are too hard for pubbies to play. Your CR and DD gently caress off into the tiny channels where you shouldn't drive your BB and leave you alone to die.

Hopefully this thing gets better with the 1945 hull, the 1930whatever hull already added some AA which should help some.

To be fair, I took my Nagato full speed through those tiny rear end channels like a fuckin boss and killed a Myoko and a Kongo the other day. What do you do when you round the corner of an island into the guns of a Nagato at 3km? You die like a bitch.

E: The best poo poo is the Myoko panicked and tried to torp me at less than 100ft, he immediately turned away from me and dropped all his torps and they hit me before arming, as he beached himself on the other side of the channel and then my secondaries and main battery ripped him open like a can opener. :black101:

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 18, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The low speed on the US battleships makes it easier to dodge torpedoes, but gently caress is it annoying getting citadeled by shitters in Japanese battleships doing stupid poo poo outside your max range.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Low speed and small turn radius make it easy to dodge shells at long range too.
With the weird shell trajectory and the small turn radius of ships that looks like they're drifting, I find it really hard to hit stuff at long range with my Fuso.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Keep in mind. You have 30 seconds at least to do the most crazy manouvers before you need to get your guns back on target.

Do that.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

texasmed posted:

Some guy in a game was complaining about my torp spamming so I've been thinking about it.

If you have the ability to torpedo spam and aren't then you are doing yourself a disservice. Also always message "incoming spam!" in all chat for good measure.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Michaellaneous posted:

Keep in mind. You have 30 seconds at least to do the most crazy manouvers before you need to get your guns back on target.

Do that.

I don't know if it changes with graphics settings, but I'm using medium and unless I'm actually looking at the firing ship on full zoom I don't get to see incoming shells from ma range until they're 2/5 of the way here already

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

orange juche posted:

To be fair, I took my Nagato full speed through those tiny rear end channels like a fuckin boss and killed a Myoko and a Kongo the other day. What do you do when you round the corner of an island into the guns of a Nagato at 3km? You die like a bitch.

Or you run face first into a Fletcher or Gearing and die like a scrub to a full 10 torp broadside. BBs at <3km are my favorite things ever. I may not live through it, but if my torps aren't on cooldown, you sure as poo poo won't either.

Pubbie BBs loving love the southeast ice fields around the A cap point on the ice map, and I love introducing them to glorious American torpedoes.

I think my favorite tactic currently is to do a big lazy loop of smoke around a cap point, then circle back into the smoke and linger. Half the time I can bait some poor fucker into the smoke and then it becomes a cat and mouse game of who can see the other first, and then whose torpedos or broadsides can connect quickest.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

I don't know if it changes with graphics settings, but I'm using medium and unless I'm actually looking at the firing ship on full zoom I don't get to see incoming shells from ma range until they're 2/5 of the way here already

It does change with graphic settings. I can see the enemy firing and the shells flying all the way.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Or you run face first into a Fletcher or Gearing and die like a scrub to a full 10 torp broadside. BBs at <3km are my favorite things ever. I may not live through it, but if my torps aren't on cooldown, you sure as poo poo won't either.

Pubbie BBs loving love the southeast ice fields around the A cap point on the ice map, and I love introducing them to glorious American torpedoes.

I think my favorite tactic currently is to do a big lazy loop of smoke around a cap point, then circle back into the smoke and linger. Half the time I can bait some poor fucker into the smoke and then it becomes a cat and mouse game of who can see the other first, and then whose torpedos or broadsides can connect quickest.

To be fair the Myoko was looking the other way and his first alert i was there was my secondaries lighting him up, he freaked and ran into rocks and tried to torp me while i closed on him at flank speed, he died like 10s later.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Just like before the patch, HE hits on superstructures do a lot of damage. American battleships and Warspite feel this the most, and Japanese ships with weird superstructures avoid the worst of it. The Myogi is actually really hard to damage with HE, because it has no superstructure to hit.

Should I be aiming HE at the superstructure rather than the waterline? :raise: I literally never used HE before the patch, so I'm clueless.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

PirateBob posted:

Should I be aiming HE at the superstructure rather than the waterline? :raise: I literally never used HE before the patch, so I'm clueless.

Superstructure. HE on the waterline is more likely to be eaten up by armor and do reduced damage. Superstructure, deck, everything along those lines.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

HE hits on the deck also damage and destroy turrets, steering, start fires, all the things you want HE to do

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

And then of course you get that sweet AP broadside that fucks the enemy for 20k. Noone knows what to fire at the moment.

We will know when premium ammo arrives.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Since the patch I'm doing a lot better than I was, my stats are still garbage but it feels better anyway. Right now my general rule is for Battleships firing AP at Battleships and Cruisers, HE at at Destroyers if I firing a them at all. Cruisers, firing AP at cruisers and Battleships if i'm close and HE at everything else. Destroyers firing HE all the time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

With some exceptions, my hit rate is mostly unchanged from pre-patch, but I'm not doing nearly as much damage now. I will land the typical 2-3 shells from super long range in a salvo and do.. 820... Or I'll fire HE and do 3500. but no chance for really good high damage hits. I have had very few citadel's since the patch, even though to all appearances in the game, I'm landing my shells pretty much the same as before. It's annoying and bugging me.

NTRabbit posted:

The low speed on the US battleships makes it easier to dodge torpedoes, but gently caress is it annoying getting citadeled by shitters in Japanese battleships doing stupid poo poo outside your max range.

So they are shitters for playing to their advantage vs. you? Seems kind of smart to me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Locator posted:

So they are shitters for playing to their advantage vs. you? Seems kind of smart to me.

No they were shitters because they were driving backwards in circles, trying to peek and poke like a heavy tank, and other stupid poo poo. I could see them doing it, couldn't shoot back, and they landed lucky citadel hits because slow moving battleships are a lot easier to hit at range than anything else.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of driving backwards in circles... The pizza guy showed up yesterday while I was in the middle of that awful open water map in my Aoba so I just went full speed full left rudder. When I came back about 5 minutes later with a couple slices of domino's and a rum and coke I found myself beset by 4 ships, none of which could hit me. I wonder how long they were shooting at me for.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

No they were shitters because they were driving backwards in circles, trying to peek and poke like a heavy tank, and other stupid poo poo. I could see them doing it, couldn't shoot back, and they landed lucky citadel hits because slow moving battleships are a lot easier to hit at range than anything else.

How the US ever won WWII is a mystery if their battleships sucked poo poo as much as WG says they do :v:

That said, US battleships supposedly have thicker armor the whole way up the US tree than IJN BBs, I wish I knew if WG is actually using the armor modelling they showed off in that video or if it's just a citadel hitbox.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

orange juche posted:

How the US ever won WWII is a mystery if their battleships sucked poo poo as much as WG says they do :v:

That said, US battleships supposedly have thicker armor the whole way up the US tree than IJN BBs, I wish I knew if WG is actually using the armor modelling they showed off in that video or if it's just a citadel hitbox.

Planes.
As soon as carriers and halfway decent planes entered the war (to be fair, american planes were decent), the time of dreadnaughts and battleships was over.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The Battle of Surigao Strait was a night engagement and we had radar and computers to shoot our guns with. :v:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Night battles with darkness affecting spotting distance would be cool as hell. Pubbies would hate it though, the same as the whining whenever Ocean turns up.

Maybe War Thunder will do it whenever they get around to doing their version of boats.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Gonna be honest I have issues with Ocean as well. The only map where I can never hit anything. I get solid good hit volleys on any other map except that one.

I think the lack of any focus points throws me off quite a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I've only played on Ocean once; my team had two less ships, half the number of battleships, and we were slaughtered