Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

megalodong posted:

Are there any non-retarded streamers for this? Every one I look at has a giant facecam, and some huge fuckoff banner pop up every time someone subs, covering up half the game.

The gamespot one posted a little while ago was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Ville Valo posted:

I'm playing on XBox One and getting "You cannot save your game right now" way too often. Autosaves seem to have halted, too. I've already lost hours of progress thanks to this poo poo; I'm about ready to return the game.

Jesus is punshing you for breaking the release date.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ville Valo posted:

I'm playing on XBox One and getting "You cannot save your game right now" way too often. Autosaves seem to have halted, too. I've already lost hours of progress thanks to this poo poo; I'm about ready to return the game.

There's a small buffer of time after state changes that you can't save. Combat, conversations and taking damage are the ones I'm aware of. Might be another issue though.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Airfoil posted:

So, what's with "plough"?

It makes sense as a substitute for a naughty word if you're trying to keep the game PG-rated, but then they go ahead and use "gently caress" constantly anyway.

It's a commonly used slang term. You're over thinking this.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Archimago posted:

No, steam. You tried putting them in Documents/WItcher 2/gamesaves, right? Make sure it didn't extract to a sub folder and it's just gamesaves/.sav files?

A random thought I just had...You have to beat the game on Hard to get access to Dark, right? I don't actually remember. It may not be showing up because it's a dark save and you never beat the game on Hard? (Assuming that's the way it works, I don't remember.)

I don't even know what happens if you try to load the final autosave, I've never tried. but the manual save should load.

e. ALso, are you copying the .sav files and the .bmp files? I don't know if that matters, but it might.

I fixed it. Basically, at some point I enabled cloudsaves which moved the documents/witcher 2 save directory to that directory in the steam/userdata folder. If you disable cloudsaves subsequent saves still go in the steam/userdate directory, so what I did was enabled cloudsaves, shutdown Steam, moved your saves in to the steam/userdata savegame directory, started Steam and the game saw them. Went ahead and disabled steam cloud and made sure the files were still readable (they were). loving weird, but I should be all set for tomorrow!

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 18, 2015

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Orv posted:

There's a small buffer of time after state changes that you can't save. Combat, conversations and taking damage are the ones I'm aware of. Might be another issue though.

I've just stood around in town for a few minutes and there's no change; same with running out of town (thought maybe I was too close to something important?) and it won't save there either.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

You're over thinking this.

Welcome to video game forums.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ville Valo posted:

I've just stood around in town for a few minutes and there's no change; same with running out of town (thought maybe I was too close to something important?) and it won't save there either.

That sounds like a bug. I'd hold off returning it if the Xbox doesn't already have the day 1 patch, but if it does, who knows.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
Have you tried turning it off and on again? :v:

But seriously when I've had save issues on the xbone, shutting down by holding the 'button' on the case 10 seconds, then starting back up, has always fixed it with other games. Otherwise... yeah, must be Jesus.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I know the previous person was joking, but somehow it wouldn't surprise me if it was some weird Xbone defense against people breaking release dates.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Has the day one patch been applied? Considering it's day -1, perhaps waiting for the problem to resolve itself will work.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Has the day one patch been applied? Considering it's day -1, perhaps waiting for the problem to resolve itself will work.

The PS4 preload got a secondary update on the day the D1 notes for it got posted, couldn't say for bone.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Anti-Hero posted:

I fixed it. Basically, at some point I enabled cloudsaves which moved the documents/witcher 2 save directory to that directory in the steam/userdata folder. If you disable cloudsaves subsequent saves still go in the steam/userdate directory, so what I did was enabled cloudsaves, shutdown Steam, moved your saves in to the steam/userdata savegame directory, started Steam and the game saw them. Went ahead and disabled steam cloud and made sure the files were still readable (they were). loving weird, but I should be all set for tomorrow!

That's pretty weird. Glad you got it working though.

Kimmalah posted:

I know the previous person was joking, but somehow it wouldn't surprise me if it was some weird Xbone defense against people breaking release dates.

Jesus is no joke. That being said, I'm not sure if he's mad at you for breaking release date or for buying an Xbone. Or both. You should pray and find out.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Archimago posted:

That's pretty weird. Glad you got it working though.

Jesus is no joke. That being said, I'm not sure if he's mad at you for breaking release date or for buying an Xbone. Or both. You should pray and find out.

PS4's on constant FF14 duty; if I want to to Witch it was gonna be easiest on the Bone. :(

I'll give it a few days and see if something in The Cloud comes to the rescue.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

What is the name of the final game save file for Witcher 2? The one associated with the endgame bitmap is just called '.sav' as apposed to all the others which are called variants of "Autosave_000.sav'. I assume this is the end game save?

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 18, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does the PS4 version unlock at 6 EST or is that just the PC version?

Orv
May 4, 2011

RatHat posted:

Does the PS4 version unlock at 6 EST or is that just the PC version?

Global across all platforms. 7PM EST

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

What is the name of the final game save file for Witcher 2? The one associated with the endgame bitmap is just called '.sav' as apposed to all the others which are called variants of "Autosave_000.sav'. I assume this is the end game save?

Your saves are 3-7mb? :stare:

Mine are all ~1.2MB or so. My final save is not any larger than the others. The end game save is AutoSave_####.sav with the .bmp linked above. It is likely the highest numbered one.

In all likelihood, when you go to import your save, it will only see these end game files and it will find it automatically in that save folder.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

The industry REALLY wants us to go pure digital download this generation, doesn't it? As a chump waiting for a physical copy, I'm not going to get to play for five whole hours after everybody else, plus install time since I can't preload... This is the one series where I really want my in-box feelies though. :( It's so tempting to snap up one of those GOG codes since I'm bound to buy a PC version eventually, but I haven't upgraded since TW2 launched and ugh. Can't remember the last time I let myself get excited for a game launch and this is what I get.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Witcher 3 will be 80% off on Steam in like a year or two, if that helps you avoid double dipping.

Honestly if you ever plan to go physical, I think it's smarter to find a place that will break street date than it is to preorder.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp
Preloading and digital download are one of the coolest most convenient things about this "generation". That and the xbox lets you pick up exactly where you left off with no loading it owns.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Archimago posted:

Is your TW2 a Steam version? If so, are cloud saves enabled? If that's enabled, the directory it looks for saves changes, but I'm not sure to where. Probably somewhere in the steam folder. You could try finding that folder or disabling cloud saves.

I was using mods for that playthrough but only texture ones, iirc. Even if I was using some others, it shouldn't affect the save files at all. I'd wager it's the cloud save thing.
I took your file and put in in my W2 documents and was able to load up the end-of-game save and talk to Letho for that info dump just fine.

edit: poo poo should have refreshed before I replied

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Someone who bought a CE should post some awesome unboxing photos so we can all pretend we bought one too.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Archimago posted:

Your saves are 3-7mb? :stare:

Mine are all ~1.2MB or so. My final save is not any larger than the others. The end game save is AutoSave_####.sav with the .bmp linked above. It is likely the highest numbered one.

In all likelihood, when you go to import your save, it will only see these end game files and it will find it automatically in that save folder.

Yeah, so I just copied that folder off an old thumb drive and onto my PC. The folder which contains JUST autosaves? 4.46gigs.

Archimago posted:

Someone who bought a CE should post some awesome unboxing photos so we can all pretend we bought one too.

I'll try and take some lovely ones with my phone if I remember.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

It would be nice if preloading could be on the honor system. I know it'll never happen because every system (including Steam and GoG) wants all purchases to be made within their particular walled garden. Or if there was an option to buy CEs with all the doodads but a download code in the box instead of discs, so you could pick it up any time a few days before launch and preload like everybody else...

I mean sure, we've all waited this long, it's not the end of the world. Just one of those petty frustrations that's going to be at the forefront of my mind for those particular five hours tomorrow.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Psiharis posted:

It would be nice if preloading could be on the honor system. I know it'll never happen because every system (including Steam and GoG) wants all purchases to be made within their particular walled garden. Or if there was an option to buy CEs with all the doodads but a download code in the box instead of discs, so you could pick it up any time a few days before launch and preload like everybody else...

I mean sure, we've all waited this long, it's not the end of the world. Just one of those petty frustrations that's going to be at the forefront of my mind for those particular five hours tomorrow.

Honor system preloading? I have no idea what you mean. Just download the GOG torrent and register your code/discs when it comes. Get a head start.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It would be nice if physical copies bought online also emailed you a gog code.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

bloodsacrifice posted:

Preloading and digital download are one of the coolest most convenient things about this "generation". That and the xbox lets you pick up exactly where you left off with no loading it owns.
To me this is just an intermediate step to a subscription service, like PS+ but with enough games that most of the time you don't need to buy any at all.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

Samurai Sanders posted:

To me this is just an intermediate step to a subscription service, like PS+ but with enough games that most of the time you don't need to buy any at all.

that could work if its priced right, like ten bucks a month would be worth it if there was at least 2 games you wanted to play coming out. The biggest (imo fatal) obstacle would probably getting all the different studios and publishing companies on board because you'd be limiting the hell out of your market, which currently right now would be "everyone".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plough the fuckin' Lilies, how much of the map is set in Temeria?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Plough the fuckin' Lilies, how much of the map is set in Temeria?

The lowest quarter of the largest area is the No Mans Land between Redania and Nilfgaard-occupied Temeria. White Orchard is mostly Temerian.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Orv posted:

Some of the best faces and facial animation video games have ever seen.

E: Skip to 50 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnIxXtthiYw

He says "witcher's code" like it isn't something he's just making up as he goes along.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

bloodsacrifice posted:

that could work if its priced right, like ten bucks a month would be worth it if there was at least 2 games you wanted to play coming out. The biggest (imo fatal) obstacle would probably getting all the different studios and publishing companies on board because you'd be limiting the hell out of your market, which currently right now would be "everyone".

Please no. I want to dictate the games on which I spend money.

Orv
May 4, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

He says "witcher's code" like it isn't something he's just making up as he goes along.

Gotta sell it so people stop asking you to murder people.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

turtlecrunch posted:

Not working for free seems like a pretty stable part of his code.

edit: actually, when he works for a king or someone, is it because he's being paid or was he just ordered to do it?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 18, 2015

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

If I reinstall Witcher 2 is there a way to force it to download my previous cloud saves? Or otherwise a way to check if they still exist somewhere?

I found a similar save to mine from the link in the OP but it would be nice to have one that was my own, even if there's no known difference at this time.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

bloodsacrifice posted:

Sooo...Gamefly? :raise:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not working for free seems like a pretty stable part of his code.

edit: actually, when he works for a king or someone, is it because he's being paid or was he just ordered to do it?

The latter though he aims for the former, it's very much a "If I refuse you you will try to stab me so lets try and be businesslike about this"

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

VodeAndreas posted:

If I reinstall Witcher 2 is there a way to force it to download my previous cloud saves? Or otherwise a way to check if they still exist somewhere?

I found a similar save to mine from the link in the OP but it would be nice to have one that was my own, even if there's no known difference at this time.

Try this:

Pwnstar posted:

That location would be Steam\userdata\XXXXX\20920\remote

XXXXX being your unique Steam ID

I don't imagine you would need to reinstall the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lord Lambeth posted:

It would be nice if physical copies bought online also emailed you a gog code.

Then you resell the code and keep the disc and you now stole a copy. or you get a code and then cancel your order and the store has to do all the silly efforts to cancel your code and what not et cetera.

I didn't put much thought into this, but I'm still gonna post! like all of my other posts! Oh-Hoho!