Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Thanks to whoever posted about Tove Styrke earlier in the year. She played here last night to a small crowd and it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

New Romantics is the second best song on the album, behind Style. I don't understand why they're going with such a polarizing song as a single.

Yeah, Style not being the biggest single in the world ever is a surprise to me, considering how awesome a song it is. But Blank Space and Shake It Off were more popular, and I think Bad Blood just had a bit more in common with those two, especially being really "stomp-clap"-y like Shake It Off. Wildest Dreams and Clean are the best songs that haven't been released yet, but they're not really radio friendly, and anything else is a bit too generic (I thought How You Get The Girl would be a single, but it's not really the direction she wants to go, I imagine). New Romantics is dope, but it being a bonus track probably hinders it just enough.

If Style's relative failure means we don't get more songs that sound like it, I'm gonna be super mad. It's basically a perfect song.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
As a non-Swift-fan, I thought Style was just decent, but not something I'd remember a year after it fell off the charts. :shrug:

For comparison I thought that Blank Space was good, and Shake It Off Was catchy but really dumb. I'd comment on Bad Blood, but it's apparently impossible to find on youtube. At least its lyrics look a lot less stupid than Shake It Off?

people posted:

producers getting top billing over singers
Are people still surprised by this after the success of Calvin Harris/David Guetta/Clean Bandit/Zedd/Daft Punk/etc? It might be confusing when looked at as a single song, but the producer's style comes through a lot more when listening to an entire album.

(Not so much Guetta since he's generic as hell, and Calvin Harris is getting there too, but the others still have a distinct style.)

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Calvin Harris is getting there too

He got scared since that song blew up real big.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
New Years & Years single is solid, I'm not feeling it as much as King but it's another great pop song. The album is out in July for the US.
https://soundcloud.com/yearsandyears/shine

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Sia released a cover of California Dreamin, I haven't heard it yet but I just know exactly what it sounds like already.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Haifisch posted:

I'd comment on Bad Blood, but it's apparently impossible to find on youtube. At least its lyrics look a lot less stupid than Shake It Off?

Band-aids don't fix bullet holes?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Cerepol posted:

He got scared since that song blew up real big.

Yeah. 'We Found Love' is almost 4 years old mix it up a bit Calvin.

Joose Caboose posted:

Band-aids don't fix bullet holes?

She's not wrong and it's relatable for some.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

The Ronson album that Uptown Funk is on is also really drat good, though it's really short. It's worth listening to; that Mystikal track is a loving banger.

Yeah it is! The video is up now too.

https://youtu.be/ognnZ3r2qyQ

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a poster for the Bad Blood video. I may be in too deep.

(on the other side look how cool it is:)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Of course her name is "Catastrophe". Are Meredith and Olivia going to be in the video too? (Olivia was already in Blank Space)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm seeing Lana Del Rey tomorrow night in Phoenix. :kiddo:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

Of course her name is "Catastrophe". Are Meredith and Olivia going to be in the video too? (Olivia was already in Blank Space)

I really really hope so. Those are some adorable as gently caress cats.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

I really really hope so. Those are some adorable as gently caress cats.

Yes.

http://i.imgur.com/m9uhuFM.webm

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 14, 2015

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

New Giorgio Moroder track with Charli XCX is out.
https://soundcloud.com/giorgiomoroder/diamonds-ft-charli-xcx

Between this and the Kylie track put out earlier, Moroder's knocking it out and getting me even more psyched for his new album.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there anyone who isn't in the Bad Blood video? It's a neverending stream of posters of more people.

Also, that poster doesn't seem to be available in the UK :(. If anyone knows a way to get it here, please dish for me.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 14, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I'm seeing Lana Del Rey tomorrow night in Phoenix. :kiddo:

Guess who's plans fell through at the last moment? :(

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Guess who's plans fell through at the last moment? :(

drat shame. I hear she plays some new stuff on tour.

MooCowlian posted:

Is there anyone who isn't in the Bad Blood video? It's a neverending stream of posters of more people.

Also, that poster doesn't seem to be available in the UK :(.

The Bad Blood video looks to be turning out to be a complete mess of people ending up on screen for a couple of seconds each. I don't think people can get away with 15 minute videos in this Youtube world.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sprat Sandwich posted:

drat shame. I hear she plays some new stuff on tour.

Yep, she played at least one new song a couple days ago in Colorado.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

I bought a poster for the Bad Blood video. I may be in too deep.

(on the other side look how cool it is:)

This poster is amazing.

The new Brandon Flowers album is streaming on iTunes and the singles are by far the best thing about it, aside from "Lonely Train". I dunno, I'm really not convinced. Can't Deny My Love and the one with the Bronski Beat sample got me so excited.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I'm going to Vegas to see an elusive chanteuse this weekend. Hopefully she is feeling better after canceling last night's show...

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

nomapple posted:

The new Brandon Flowers album is streaming on iTunes and the singles are by far the best thing about it, aside from "Lonely Train". I dunno, I'm really not convinced. Can't Deny My Love and the one with the Bronski Beat sample got me so excited.

I'm actually really happy I can disagree with this, I think the album is great and probably the most consistent piece of work he's been involved in so far. If I HAD to find ANYTHING to criticize, it would probably be that Diggin' Up The Heart sounds a little bit too Las Vegas after the first couple of listens, but that doesn't diminish my appreciation of the whole thing at all. My album of the year so far, even better than Froot.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

you guysss

https://soundcloud.com/fueled_by_ramen/nate-ruess-great-big-storm

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I didn't know that the Kris Jenner made a music video. Let's take a look... :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4cwqOa7JFE

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Our prayers have been answered! Janet Jackson's going on tour and releasing new music!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Out of nowhere, iTunes hit me with a song I'd never heard, by some artist I'd never heard of. Naturally it blew me the gently caress away, and if it gets legs, I could see this being the hit of the summer. one of the posts I read about it called it a mixture of Rhianna and Tove Lo, but the piano throughout reminds me of that early-2000's R&B sound.

Alessia Cara - Here

This is great, everyone please listen to this.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
We're all in agreement that Meghan Trainor is terrible, right? I heard Dear Future Husband twice today, and it's just a horrible reprehensible song.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

This is great, everyone please listen to this.

drat loving straight it is. Gonna be the ironic party hit of the summer.

edit: Look at this loving cast list.

Taylor Swift as Catastrophe
Lily Aldridge as Frostbyte
Zendaya as Cut-Throat
Hayley Williams as The Crimson Curse
Gigi Hadid as Slay-Z
Ellie Goulding as Destructa X
Hailee Steinfeld as The Trinity
Lena Dunham as Lucky Fiori
Kendrick Lamar as Welvin Da Great
Karlie Kloss as Knockout
Serayah as Dilemma
Jessica Alba as Domino
Martha Hunt as Homeslice
Ellen Pompeo as Luna
Mariska Hargitay as Justice
Cara Delevingne as Mother Chucker
Cindy Crawford as Headmistress
Selena Gomez as Arsyn

Just a shitload of awesome, talented, gorgeous women (and Kendrick Lamar), who have some weird-rear end taste in character names. I'm holding out for hope that Hargitay and Pompeo are in the video with the cats whose names they inspired.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 17, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

We're all in agreement that Meghan Trainor is terrible, right? I heard Dear Future Husband twice today, and it's just a horrible reprehensible song.
At first, I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, with a song about bigger women being confident and owning their sexuality, plus I'm a sucker for that '50s/early '60s sound. But now I realize she's like a living, breathing John Waters musical.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

At first, I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, with a song about bigger women being confident and owning their sexuality, plus I'm a sucker for that '50s/early '60s sound. But now I realize she's like a living, breathing John Waters musical.

I thought it was less about being confident and owning sexuality and more about trying to feel ok with being fat because someone, somewhere will still want to gently caress you.

In other news, Mariah Carey can still sing. She almost certainly lip synced in faster songs like Dreamlover and Honey, but she has the ballads on lock. Her whistle notes were in good form last night, too.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
http://pitchfork.com/news/59569-kendrick-lamar-plays-welvin-da-great-in-taylor-swifts-bad-blood-video/

Bad Blood video is out.

Pretty forgettable, as expected most of those people are just in it for 2-3 second cameos (not really a 15 minute video with a cool storyline: was hoping for something akin to Telephone), expected better from Kahn as I liked Detention.

Kendrick's verses play nicely into the song though and I like this arrangement better than the one on the album.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I'm waiting for the extended version. As if there isn't going to be one because, yeah, that was disappointing.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I still maintain that Bad Blood is one of the worst songs on 1989, and a terrible single choice. But Kendrick Lamar owns. So I'm gonna have to watch this after all. :argh:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

Out of nowhere, iTunes hit me with a song I'd never heard, by some artist I'd never heard of. Naturally it blew me the gently caress away, and if it gets legs, I could see this being the hit of the summer. one of the posts I read about it called it a mixture of Rhianna and Tove Lo, but the piano throughout reminds me of that early-2000's R&B sound.

Alessia Cara - Here

I had this pop up on a new music Tuesday track last week and was instantly hooked on it too. I hope she makes more music like this and isn't just some one hit Youtuber.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bubblelubble posted:

I'm waiting for the extended version. As if there isn't going to be one because, yeah, that was disappointing.

It's already on iTunes. After listening to it and the album version back to back, the new one is way better. It felt like the way the song was always supposed to be, with the lame verses being filler until they could get Kendrick in the studio. The song sounds a little sharper too, particularly in the bass (and that trap sound toward the end), and it's 13 seconds shorter. Much improved.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Kendrick improves all songs. Someone needs to fund Pretty Girls feat. Kendrick Lamar.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I literally have no idea what the storyline is in that bad blood video.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, the video is kind of cool, but also a bit of a mess. It really does feel like a trailer. I'll hold out hope for a surprise feature length version with a story and whatnot.

I think I'm warming up to Bad Blood as a song though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

somnambulist posted:

It's Kill Bill meets XMen but all bad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The song is wayyyyyy better than the video. Holy poo poo is that video bad.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

somnambulist posted:

Taylor and Selena are awesome kung fu ladies, fighting and stealing whatever is in that suitcase, then Selena betrays Taylor and knocks her out a window. Taylor goes and gets fixed by whatever weirdass society she's a part of, finds a bunch of people and makes a team full of rear end-kicking ladies to fight Selena's team of rear end-kicking ladies. Also Lena Dunham is there as a mob boss or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

If this is it then dang what a waste although most of these people were probably like "Hey I'm shooting a video wanna be in it? Yeah OK."

The video arrangement is at least better than the album one.