Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

OctoberBlues posted:

The one time in my life someone convinced me to go dumpster diving it was at a Wal-Mart and we got pounds and pounds of perfectly good fruit and vegetables. We didn't take anything that was actually touching the dumpster and washed everything off with vinegar I think, so it wasn't too bad for garbage food. (the people I went with knew the schedule so it had only been out there for like 20 minutes) I guess that is a legitimate lifehack if you're into that kind of thing.

We also got caught and the Wal-Mart dude just kind of sighed and was like "I don't even want to know what you took, just make sure I don't see it and get out of here before anyone else sees you."

The bananas hadn't even made it out to the dumpster yet. They were literally bananas just taken out of a shipping box and put into a box on the way to the dumpster. There was 1000 pounds of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Len posted:

The bananas hadn't even made it out to the dumpster yet. They were literally bananas just taken out of a shipping box and put into a box on the way to the dumpster. There was 1000 pounds of them.

Screaming Idiot posted:

#LIFEHACK Eat a banana and throw the banana at Mario because gently caress that fat guinea gently caress he thinks he's better than me well I'll show his plumber rear end haha look at his stupid kart slam into a wall

Now you love ME Peach

YOU LOVE ONLY ME

COME TO KOOPA

gently caress YOU DONKEY KONG YOU LEFT THE BANANAS OUT AND NOW THEY ARE MINE

I KIDNAPPED THEM

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Len posted:

Lifehack: don't steal from your employer.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Len posted:

Why the gently caress would they be throwing away 1000 pounds of bananas just taken out of a shipping box?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Some of the Sheep posted:

Lifehack: don't steal from your employer.

Hey man don't be like that; who among us can wake each morning to the absolute certainty we're never ever going to work at walmarts? That has to count for something?

And not stealing from your employer? That has to be the shittiest lifehack I've ever heard of. Do you even hack, bro?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

taiyoko posted:

Why the gently caress would they be throwing away 1000 pounds of bananas just taken out of a shipping box?

Capitalism.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Leta just keep throwing money into this wood chipper! Eventually it's going to pay off!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

taiyoko posted:

Where I work, the food court got in trouble for taking leftovers to the break room after they close up because it's "a form of theft."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

taiyoko posted:

They were starting to get sugar spots which in Walmart talk means "no one will buy these throw them away"

Pomp posted:

Where I work, the food court got in trouble for taking leftovers to the break room after they close up because it's "a form of theft."

It's theft to eat produce that's already marked as garbage because "we are responsible for making sure it gets to the dumpster. We have to account for that food."

Best part was two other people were standing there eating bananas with me and they still have jobs.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"your appropriation of this product we were going to throw away is somehow costing us money"

:capitalism:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah but if you let the employees eat waste food for free then it just encourages them to make waste on purpose. What do you mean they're hungry because they can't afford enough food?

Those were the lines we got in the restaurant world anyway. Granted in that case most of the managers would look the other way if stuff that was getting thrown out just vanished but Walmart is basically trying to be a cartoon villain at this point.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Life hack: Treat your employees like poo poo to literally safe pennies. This will certainly have no effect on employee loyalty and morale.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Life hack: Treat your employees like poo poo to literally safe pennies. This will certainly have no effect on employee loyalty and morale.

Life hack: deliberately wreck the economy so your employees are so desperate they'll stay around for lack of options. Alternatively treat them like they're disposable. When one wears out just replace him with somebody else. Haxx.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Sales hack: put bananas with spots in bags with a recipe for banana bread printed on it and sell it for really cheap as 'ripe bananas'.

Some stores do that, but maybe it isn't profitable for *Mart enough since you have to pay someone minimum wage to re-bag the fruit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I wish stores would do that here but I've literally never seen a store actually do that. The main reason I don't make banana bread is because I hate waiting for the bananas to get ripe enough. Either I just eat them or forget about them and end up waiting too long.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

axolotl farmer posted:

Sales hack: put bananas with spots in bags with a recipe for banana bread printed on it and sell it for really cheap as 'ripe bananas'.

Some stores do that, but maybe it isn't profitable for *Mart enough since you have to pay someone minimum wage to re-bag the fruit.

Produce surprisingly makes slightly above minimum wage. It's one of the higher entry positions.

Slightly related to this conversation. I downloaded the anti-union orientation video and uploaded it to YouTube for your viewing pleasure. https://youtu.be/_Gim8_5D2fA should be visible? I set it to only those with the link can see and gave it a false name so hopefully it doesn't get pulled.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010

Holy poo poo

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Len posted:

Produce surprisingly makes slightly above minimum wage. It's one of the higher entry positions.

Slightly related to this conversation. I downloaded the anti-union orientation video and uploaded it to YouTube for your viewing pleasure. https://youtu.be/_Gim8_5D2fA should be visible? I set it to only those with the link can see and gave it a false name so hopefully it doesn't get pulled.

Ayy lmao it's somehow worse than the one I remember from the 90s

"We care so much about our employees that a union isn't necessary. Also none of our associates even want one anyway," says a company that literally fires any employee caught talking about labor unions on or off the clock

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

drat.
The supermarkets in my country doesn't even give two shits if the bananas are rotting. Food about to go bad? Make a sale and try to get rid of it as fast as possible. Also, fruit and vegetables, and other stuff that are about to go to the dumpster? The garbage men usually take it a part and sell it in extreme poor neighborhoods for cents.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Desperado Bones posted:

drat.
The supermarkets in my country doesn't even give two shits if the bananas are rotting. Food about to go bad? Make a sale and try to get rid of it as fast as possible. Also, fruit and vegetables, and other stuff that are about to go to the dumpster? The garbage men usually take it a part and sell it in extreme poor neighborhoods for cents.

Well, that's just the really big companies here--too concerned with their image (can't have "rotten" fruit on display!) to care. At least here in the Midwest, local grocers will totally bag up the overripe bananas and stick a sign on 'em that says "Great for banana bread!" At that point, you're selling something you're gonna throw away anyway, so you can let it go for pennies on the dollar. I picked some up from the market up the street last week--enough for 2 two-pound loaves of banana bread--for all of 15 cents :dance:

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 13:57 on May 18, 2015

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Accidental altruism through grey market fruit? Not on my country's watch! Our poor get to live in food deserts where they pay their gas station local produce source $1.39 for a single orange when they're feeling too fancy for their powered cheese flavored food product

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sentient Data posted:

Accidental altruism through grey market fruit? Not on my country's watch! Our poor get to live in food deserts where they pay their gas station local produce source $1.39 for a single orange when they're feeling too fancy for their powered cheese flavored food product

Oh come on, they're lucky we let them have food at all. Life hack: poor people ruining your city? Literally starve them to death!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Len posted:

This is awesome thank you. Their argument that Walmart is driven by caring for employees and unions are driven by caring about profits is fantastic.

Money grubbing profit unions hate this one weird trick! Need to make employees absolutely worthless? Indoctrinate them right off the bat with lies and misinformation and intimidation during training! #managementhack

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Len posted:

You can tell which ones are the real employees in the videos due to how dead they look inside

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thespaceinvader posted:

Where do you live that the spiders can eat rats and mice?

Desperado Bones posted:

I'll guess it's Australia.

Australian mouse spider:

razorrozar posted:

is it true that there are few or no snake species in Australia because they were all killed off by spiders?

No. No it is not. Seriously, no.

Tip for Australian naming conventions - if it's a place name we'll call it any old poetic poo poo, like the Devil's Marbles, Foul Bay, Humpybong or Mount Buggery. But when it comes to dangerous creatures what you see is what you get because calling something "William's snake" won't help you identify whether the snake coming at you is one of the more than 100 different species of venomous land snakes and 40 sea snakes in this country. (This doesn't include our many species of pythons, btw)

So you get names like "red bellied black snake", "brown snake", "tiger snake" and "death adder" to give you fair warning not to be loving with them.

Joke is that mouse spiders don't actually eat mice :haw:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Gorilla Salad posted:

Australian mouse spider:

No. No it is not. Seriously, no.

Tip for Australian naming conventions - if it's a place name we'll call it any old poetic poo poo, like the Devil's Marbles, Foul Bay, Humpybong or Mount Buggery. But when it comes to dangerous creatures what you see is what you get because calling something "William's snake" won't help you identify whether the snake coming at you is one of the more than 100 different species of venomous land snakes and 40 sea snakes in this country. (This doesn't include our many species of pythons, btw)

So you get names like "red bellied black snake", "brown snake", "tiger snake" and "death adder" to give you fair warning not to be loving with them.

I'm assume "Mouse Spiders" are called that because they're the size of mice?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
No, it's because they thought they dug burrows like mice.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
It's because they eat mice.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Though it does bring to mind an essential lifehack - mouse spiders and funnel webs really don't give a poo poo about trivial things like bug spray. But a great way to kill them is WD40.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Loomer posted:

No, it's because they thought they dug burrows like mice.

...and I said jumping Jesus on a pogo stick!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Gorilla Salad posted:

nexus6 posted:

It's because they eat mice.

One of you is lying to me.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The main reason I don't make banana bread is because I hate waiting for the bananas to get ripe enough. Either I just eat them or forget about them and end up waiting too long.

Banana bread life hack: When bananas are getting overripe, I throw them in the freezer. When I have enogh frozen brown bananas I make banana bread.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm not trying to defend Walmart, but when they throw out produce do they get reimbursed by their supplier? I know if a retailer gets a manufacturer to buy back a broken widget, but the widget manufacturer doesn't consider it economically viable to ship the widget back, they'll just order it to be destroyed on site and its illegal to then sell the widget to a third party because then you'd be selling it to two people.

I do have an anti-Walmart story though. My friend's dad is a truck driver and happened to be delivering produce to Walmart. Walmart said that too many oranges had been shipped and they weren't going to pay for them. A shouting match ensued between Walmart, the produce supplier, and the trucking company. Walmart ended up strong-arming one of the other companies into eating the cost (pun intended) of the oranges that they'd ordered too much of because nobody wants to lose Walmart as a customer. My friend's dad was told by his pissed boss to just throw out the oranges (I think it was either $18,000 or 18 pallets of oranges). Not wanting to waste a gently caress-ton of oranges, he went to the Lowe's his son worked at and used their parking lot and/or loading dock to unload his truck so a charity could come pick up several pallets of free oranges that Walmart decided they didn't want. I heard that Lowe's ended up with a break room stuffed full of oranges for the trouble.

Lifehack: Have enough money to waste massive amounts of food as a dick-waving maneuver.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm not trying to defend Walmart, but when they throw out produce do they get reimbursed by their supplier? I know if a retailer gets a manufacturer to buy back a broken widget, but the widget manufacturer doesn't consider it economically viable to ship the widget back, they'll just order it to be destroyed on site and its illegal to then sell the widget to a third party because then you'd be selling it to two people.

Do you even know what food is?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cat Hatter posted:

It kind of depends. They can write off certain things and get credits for certain other things. Food spoils sure but there's a weird interplay between who eats the cost. For produce I think the individual stores "buy" it from the company based on various projections and what have you based on how much is expected to sell. Ultimately what isn't sold ends up getting written off as an expense.

Last I worked there any food that is to be thrown out goes into big composting dumpsters the contents of which are sold to a company that buys up food waste and turns it into fertilizer or something. It gets stored (at room temperature, of course) in various boxes, buckets, and containers around the place which end up smelling pretty drat bad very quickly. So not only are hungry people forced to throw perfectly good food away but they have to stand there and watch it go bad while dealing with the awful smell that food waste tends to generate. I'm very serious when I say "literally cartoon villain."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

axolotl farmer posted:

Banana bread life hack: When bananas are getting overripe, I throw them in the freezer. When I have enogh frozen brown bananas I make banana bread.

Banana bread life hack 2.0: Peel your bananas before freezing them, to make them easier to use.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do you even know what food is?

I've never worked at a place that sells food, so it was conceivable that a grocery store might try to argue that unsold food was lovely when it arrived or spoiled faster than it should have because it had been in storage for too long before being shipped.

Lifehack: Attempt to get reimbursed for any and all unsold merchandise to help remain solvent.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

LoonShia posted:

Banana bread life hack 2.0: Peel your bananas before freezing them, to make them easier to use.

You're not supposed to, at least for banana cream pie and other banana desserts. You freeze them when there is absolutely no yellow left and the skin is closer to black than brown, but still intact. The peel lets the banana turn into banana molasses without oxidizing too much. Then you let them thaw out partly, in the peel, and squeeze them out of the peel like a slug. You gotta squeeze them out before they're totally thawed because they should have no integrity.

The best banana cream pie, like the award-winning stuff, comes from when the banana is basically pudding in its skin. It's so sloppy that you have to add gelatin or cornstarch to make it firm and dye to make it look like banana again. It's one of those things that bakers don't talk about because it grosses out customers, but it has 10 times the flavor.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Why don't grocery stores just get a couple of industrial sized juicers, blend up bad or leftover produce and sell them as cheapish smoothies? Smoothies are huge now, they would make a killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I purchase food for my restaurant, with produce if it comes in gross you have refuse it right away, maybe if you did accept it you can call your rep within a couple of hours. Mis orders are the same, but your rep will call you and break your balls if you hosed up and not them . But I've also never made an 18,000 or 18 pallet mistake.

Produce is, of course, the most sensitive category to deal with, meat can be frozen and dry goods don't go bad. Dairy is sensitive too but always arrives good quality, it just had a short shelf life.

I can see the dick waving move, we do it even as a single, albeit large, restaurant. Type in 11 cases of onions instead of 1, the next day send back 10. Rep calls to bust my balls, "ok my (other purveyor) would have noticed and called to make sure I really wanted that many. I'll just get onions from them in the future." These guys work on commission.

It's big numbers but a purveyor will eat the hundreds or thousands once right now to make sure you keep spending with them every day. 18,000 sounds like a lot of money until you think about what Wal-Mart must spend with their purveyors on a monthly or yearly basis.