Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Kings landing is so hosed with that crazy new religion people. It's going to come back to bite the lannisters in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

ultramiraculous posted:

You do realize that that was actually only rapey in the show, right? If you read that part in the books after the fact, it's actually jarringly consensual, with Drogo riding her out into the countryside and basically whispering sweet nothings into her ear until they have sex.

Edit: beaten
The old man who reads the audiobook sexied the gently caress out of his voice for Dany's "no, no, no, yes" in that scene.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I hate that everybody seems to tell Jaime they would've owned him when he had both hands so totally watch out now, dude. Also "cock merchant".

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
The Dorne scenes are the biggest disappointment this season. The poster who speculated that they spent their entire Dorne budget on Alcazar is probably right, it feels like a USA-quality drama on basic cable, not HBO.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

You should realize that the TV series takes liberties with the book, in some cases making situations worse for entertainment value. The marriage of Sansa is among those. It's not really "Martin" here to blame.

Again, generally speaking, this fits my overall theory of how the show is produced, because things are always made more and not less dark.

more dark than Martin originated? drat son, only person who hates his characters more is Stephen King. And we all know how that ends... because Stephen King writes the scariest books, but can't write a scary ending for the life of him. Okay, /end drunk derail

I've heard that book Ramsey isn't as widely known as the psycho we TV watchers have grown to love and hate. But even after being warned and knowing exactly what she was getting into, it still feels bloody aweful to see poor Sansa get raped, even off-screen. Sophie Turner is a wonderful actress, much like poor Jack Gleeson. It means she really sells the pained noises when Ramsey is raping her. Plus to acting, but it's really miserable to listen to. I normally fast forward the awful scenes, cause I'm a total pussy, but I held off this time because I really thought that Reek or Sansa was gonna pull a blade and shank the recently crowned prince of assholes, Ramsey loving Bolton.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The chamber of faces in the House of Black and White was cool, Aryas stuff is alright. I guess she needed to learn mercy and let go of her hatred to begin the real training? Tyrion and Jorahs daddy issues was cool and "cock merchant" was the best line since Sandor Clegane said he was gonna eat every loving chicken in that inn.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So, what is the High Septon going to say when Oleanna tells him that Cersei committed incest with Lancel Lannister?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

That last scene was rough, but this episode marks where Sansa stops being only a victim. Isn't that what we've been waiting for?

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Gonna edit this so it has little fingers face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kujo7V9m0gk

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Ballz posted:

Stannis is gonna come in and triumphantly wreck the Boltons and just as it looks like he's got the North and will move on Kings Landing, Brienne will come in out of nowhere and kill him.

Seriously I've gotten some unsettling foreshadowing vibes ever since Brienne pledged to Pod she would kill Stannis earlier this season. It's not going to end well for at least one of them. :ohdear:

I think they have been building towards Brienne having to make a decision: when this poo poo goes down will she loving destroy Stannis or rescue Sansa? She swore to do both, but, as Jamie asked her a few seasons ago, what happens when your oaths contradict each other? Brienne has always been what a knight/hero should be and it would be an interesting dilemma to put her in.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That loving Sand Snakes "fight scene" was probably the worst fight in this shows entire run. Barely could tell what was going on. The three super assassins were merely pieces of poo poo getting bested by a 1 handed man and a older man. They out numbered them and 2/3 had range.

I'm glad axe man came in and told em all to gently caress off.

Later on I was surprised Theon was allowed to use his name. I thought that was beaten out of him (and chopped off).

In the end tho don't like tumblr/twitter make you upset... it's just idiots screaming into the wind.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I liked how in the aftermath of the Sand Snakes fight, Ellaria Sand was just standing in the same spot and just jerked around like an idiot when she was surrounded.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Mescal posted:

That last scene was rough, but this episode marks where Sansa stops being only a victim. Isn't that what we've been waiting for?

Uh, does it? The people who make this show probably disagree and I assure you she will continue to get poo poo on.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Who is the director of the Spain unit because holy gently caress they suck.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Theon's reaction was 100% "jimmies rustled" meme.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Later on I was surprised Theon was allowed to use his name. I thought that was beaten out of him (and chopped off)

He also tacked on that he was Ned Starks ward. That whole ceremony was about legitimizing Roose Bolton as Warden of the North. He needs allies bad.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Is there a reason why Ser Loras can't demand a trial by combat?

And now I just thought, if he does and ends up facing Zombie Mountain?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vintersorg posted:

That loving Sand Snakes "fight scene" was probably the worst fight in this shows entire run. Barely could tell what was going on. The three super assassins were merely pieces of poo poo getting bested by a 1 handed man and a older man. They out numbered them and 2/3 had range.

Later on I was surprised Theon was allowed to use his name. I thought that was beaten out of him (and chopped off).

God, yeah the fight was dumb on so many levels. Bronn and Jaime fighting outnumbered against nameless Dorne mooks was OK and made sense because those guys were mounted. If you are trained(?) assassins fighting with a numbers advantage and aren't imbeciles it should have resembled something like Ned getting speared in the knee outside Littlefinger's

Theon was probably told to use his old name to help legitimize the ceremony, like when he did at Moat Cailin

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Theon's reaction was 100% "jimmies rustled" meme.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Cersei's plan is so stupid that I have to wonder if she actually has evidence that Olenna killed Joffrey. It's the only way this makes sense.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I had hoped this episode would be good, but instead, it was bad.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

OK but it needs "JIIMMIES RUSTLED" at the end or or "JIMMIES..." at the beginning with "RUSTLED" at the end.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Arglebargle III posted:

I had hoped this episode would be good, but instead, it was bad.

But we got to pan around a big empty room of heads for like 2 minutes it was so awesome because you see

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah so I think I'm gonna stop watching this show.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Loras should've just been like, "this dude was my squire and helps me get dressed and stuff, he's seen my birthmark obviously", or "hey my leg was cut and he dressed the wound he's seen it" or even "ladies all over westeros talk about that birthmark lol no big", or even even "i was drunk one night at Renly's camp and ran around naked, everybody saw my birthmark" or "he walked in when I was sexhaving a fine rear end lady".

ANYTHING.

e: "he's just mad jealous because i hosed his sister she must've said something"
e: "he gets my sloppy seconds, some whore must've told him"
e: "I get him to run my baths and poo poo, dude has seen me naked no big he's gay for looking at my dong obviously"

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 18, 2015

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
After that one really offensive scene this episode, I wouldn't blame anyone who wanted to stop watching. It's probably the most disturbing, triggering thing in any season of the show.

I mean, come on, couldn't they at least hire a fight choreographer?

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah so I think I'm gonna stop watching this show.

No you wont.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vintersorg posted:

In the end tho don't like tumblr/twitter make you upset... it's just idiots screaming into the wind.

I don't know know, I enjoyed the fact that one of them brought a whip and a small knife to what would obviously be a sword fight

also

Firstborn posted:

Loras should've just been like, "this dude was my squire and helps me get dressed and stuff, he's seen my birthmark obviously", or "hey my leg was cut and he dressed the wound he's seen it" or even "ladies all over westeros talk about that birthmark lol no big", or even even "i was drunk one night at Renly's camp and ran around naked, everybody saw my birthmark" or "he walked in when I was sexhaving a fine rear end lady".

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Petr posted:

After that one really offensive scene this episode, I wouldn't blame anyone who wanted to stop watching. It's probably the most disturbing, triggering thing in any season of the show.

I mean, come on, couldn't they at least hire a fight choreographer?

Nice.
Seriously though, when the 3 assassin girls were sent out, the next few scenes seemed like some segment from Xena the warrior princess. Everything up to the point the dude with the axe shows up was poorly made.

The episode was ok-ish though. Tiny steps, but forward notheless.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Davethulhu posted:

And now I just thought, if he does and ends up facing Zombie Mountain?

I just realized something earlier today about him actually.

Qyburn was found at Harrenhal, left for dead after the Mountain withdrew.
He travels to Kings Landing with Jamie, ends up in service to the queen.
He's in Kings Landing when the Mountain is injured and gets to torment/create FrankenMountain.
He's actually getting revenge on the person who left him for dead in the first place.

Sorry if this was obvious to everyone else, I just never realized the full circle nature of his actions until recently. You can now return to your awful rapechat.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sansa's story is horribly depressing. She's been tosses around from horrible person to horrible person and the people get actually worse as she's passed around. She had that one tiny moment where she talked back to the crazy girl and I thought she was going to show some backbone with Ramsay but nope she's a scared girl. My guess is she's going to summon Team Terrible At Their Job to somehow gently caress things up again.

I think you're kind of missing the point of Sansa's character arc. She went from super naive fairy princess to someone playing the game, that was the whole point of Dark Sansa at the end of last season. Sure she has to endure some poo poo right now, but The North Remembers. She and Jamie have done 180 on their likability factor.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

XyrlocShammypants posted:

You should realize that the TV series takes liberties with the book, in some cases making situations worse for entertainment value. The marriage of Sansa is among those. It's not really "Martin" here to blame.

Worse than using the man who "murdered" her younger brothers as a fluffer and then raping her? If you say so.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ballz posted:

Stannis is gonna come in and triumphantly wreck the Boltons and just as it looks like he's got the North and will move on Kings Landing, Brienne will come in out of nowhere and kill him.

Seriously I've gotten some unsettling foreshadowing vibes ever since Brienne pledged to Pod she would kill Stannis earlier this season. It's not going to end well for at least one of them. :ohdear:

Yep, unless they're playing with us they went to a lot of trouble to remind us why Brienne would have a grudge against Stannis.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Cotato posted:

No you wont.
I am, actually.

I've regularly followed about eight or nine other ongoing TV shows per week for years and at this point it's honestly quite easy for me to drop any, like Walking Dead and Supernatural, that piss me off enough. Between the literal litany of superhero shows, fantasy shows, Vikings, procedurals, and top-notch comedies out there, it's not as if there's a lack of other cooler, better things for me to watch. I've stopped being invested in both this show and the books anyway since the series apexed at Dany taking over Meereen and went downhill from there in both mediums. Either the series hews closer to the books from now on and I already know what's gonna happen, or else it diverges even further from the books -- probably by putting in even more rape than the books do -- and I end up caring even less; either way I come out ahead. I've never even posted in this thread before now, certainly don't need any incentive to post even less.

So, yes, I am in fact going to stop watching this show. I don't think your guys' whole "Lol they say they're gonna quit but they'll just be back for more" shtick is really as applicable nowadays as it was back in the prime and glory of season 1, really.

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wouldn't call it lazy, the first three books were meant to be a fantasy retelling of the War of Roses.

For added fun, William the Conqueror's successor, nicknamed Rufus the Red, was a violent little poo poo That was 'accidentally' killed by his bannerman Lord Tirell.

Just saw this thank you for the awesome factoid. (I called it lazy because I was in an odd mood in point of fact I love it when writers reference history in fantasy. Who knows maybe I was trying to fit in with the other negative Nancy's on this site.)

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Davethulhu posted:

He most likely will. What we saw this episode was a preliminary hearing to see if there was enough evidence to proceed to a full trial. He'll probably force the trial by combat next episode (since the whole concept behind it is "the winner is chosen by the gods").

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's up to you whether to watch the show Game of Thrones or not, but please, please keep posting in the thread dedicated to the show Game of Thrones, so the rest of us can keep up to date on your opinions about that show you don't watch anymore.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

BrianWilly posted:

I am, actually.

I've regularly followed about eight or nine other ongoing TV shows per week for years and at this point it's honestly quite easy for me to drop any, like Walking Dead and Supernatural, that piss me off enough. Between the literal litany of superhero shows, fantasy shows, Vikings, procedurals, and top-notch comedies out there, it's not as if there's a lack of other cooler, better things for me to watch. I've stopped being invested in both this show and the books anyway since the series apexed at Dany taking over Meereen and went downhill from there in both mediums. Either the series hews closer to the books from now on and I already know what's gonna happen, or else it diverges even further from the books -- probably by putting in even more rape than the books do -- and I end up caring even less; either way I come out ahead. I've never even posted in this thread before now, certainly don't need any incentive to post even less.

So, yes, I am in fact going to stop watching this show. I don't think your guys' whole "Lol they say they're gonna quit but they'll just be back for more" shtick is really as applicable nowadays as it was back in the prime and glory of season 1, really.

See you next Sunday!

BTW of course rape is loving horrible but please put in perspective the amount of other terrible poo poo that happens in this show and quit letting yourself be so easily "triggered" when watching a show portraying a bleak, medieval fantasy world where no one really wins.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Stannis gonna gently caress some Boltons up next ep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parara
Apr 9, 2010

an skeleton posted:

BTW of course rape is loving horrible but please put in perspective the amount of other terrible poo poo that happens in this show and quit letting yourself be so easily "triggered" when watching a show portraying a bleak, medieval fantasy world where no one really wins.

Why is it so hard for some of you to understand that this was just the final straw after being dissatisfied with the show for various reasons for a while now? I don't think there's anyone out there who's quitting the show just because of this scene, unless they're on Tumblr a lot.

• Locked thread