Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Wowzers that's nice. Proper way of fixing up an ancient bike.

Wish I could take the credit for it. My drummer's brother heard I wanted to start riding, said he had a '78 KZ750 for sale, I figured I wouldn't be damaging anything valuable, and then he shows up and it's much nicer than I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
So I had a stupid and dropped my bike the other day. It's amazing how that poo poo just happens while standing still. No damage at all except some scratches on my bar ends and clutch cover. Last year I repaired the both the clutch and stator cover from marks where the PO dropped the thing and was super pleased with the results so I did it again.

I got 180, 320, 400, and 600 grit sandpaper along with a can of aerosol paint stripper. Sprayed it down with that and wiped off the gunk, then sanded with 180 grit. Filled in the gouges, scratches, and scrapes with a product called Bondo Plastic Metal. It is sort of like a easily sanded premixed JB weld in a tube. Costs $6. This takes several applications to layer up the stuff enough. It is sorta difficult to work with though, as after about 20 seconds coming out of the tube it starts to dry. But once applied correctly and sanded down, it is perfect. Perfectly smooth, level, and durable. Worked on a very deep gouge right around the rim with no trouble. That is a bit more difficult than just filling in a scratch on a level surface, as you have to shape it correctly.

Once everything is filled in and sanded up to 600 grit, I used aerosol filler primer to hide any scratches or flaws I can't get with the bondo. Sanded again to scuff it up and then hit it with paint. The paint I used was something by Dupli-Color called "stainless steel" which is a very very close match to the goldish silver Honda used on engines like my 919. It just is just sightly more silver, but you wouldn't noticed unless told or looking for a difference. Has this strange mechanic where excess metal flake comes out with the paint so whatever you are painting looks fuzzy. After curing you just wipe away the excess and you are left with a very nice metallic flake finish underneath. After a year and many thousands of miles on the stator cover paintjob I did, it is still holding up perfectly. So if you have a 2000s Honda with goldish silver engine paint and need to repair some covers this works fantastically.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Brought home another $100 GS.

Hardtails can't be that hard, RIGHT?

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012
Got my battery installed today. Finished up the bars and grips with safety wire. I found out the bike wouldn't run because a vacuum line slipped off the back of the petcock, herp a durr... Why does it have to be sucky weather as soon as it is ready to go?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

astrollinthepork posted:

So I had a stupid and dropped my bike the other day. It's amazing how that poo poo just happens while standing still. No damage at all except some scratches on my bar ends and clutch cover. Last year I repaired the both the clutch and stator cover from marks where the PO dropped the thing and was super pleased with the results so I did it again.

I got 180, 320, 400, and 600 grit sandpaper along with a can of aerosol paint stripper. Sprayed it down with that and wiped off the gunk, then sanded with 180 grit. Filled in the gouges, scratches, and scrapes with a product called Bondo Plastic Metal. It is sort of like a easily sanded premixed JB weld in a tube. Costs $6. This takes several applications to layer up the stuff enough. It is sorta difficult to work with though, as after about 20 seconds coming out of the tube it starts to dry. But once applied correctly and sanded down, it is perfect. Perfectly smooth, level, and durable. Worked on a very deep gouge right around the rim with no trouble. That is a bit more difficult than just filling in a scratch on a level surface, as you have to shape it correctly.

Once everything is filled in and sanded up to 600 grit, I used aerosol filler primer to hide any scratches or flaws I can't get with the bondo. Sanded again to scuff it up and then hit it with paint. The paint I used was something by Dupli-Color called "stainless steel" which is a very very close match to the goldish silver Honda used on engines like my 919. It just is just sightly more silver, but you wouldn't noticed unless told or looking for a difference. Has this strange mechanic where excess metal flake comes out with the paint so whatever you are painting looks fuzzy. After curing you just wipe away the excess and you are left with a very nice metallic flake finish underneath. After a year and many thousands of miles on the stator cover paintjob I did, it is still holding up perfectly. So if you have a 2000s Honda with goldish silver engine paint and need to repair some covers this works fantastically.

Reading this makes me so pleased that my clutch cover costs like £20, new.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ozmiander posted:

Hardtails can't be that hard, RIGHT?

Sometimes you just need to admit to having a problem.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

Frankenstein it together with the snowblower in the background and make a ridable snowblower for winter.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
And in the summer months, you can chase children around at the park!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

AIR/OIL COOLED SUZUKIS ARE NEVER A PROBLEM.

ps: bike ownership list includes:

1972 gt380
1983 gs1100e
1992 gsx110g...

I have very modest plans for this bike. Keep the stock tripple backbone, stock tank, springer seat, find a cheap place to add on a dirt simple hardtail (gently caress bird poo poo welding one without a jig...) and then maybe some knobby tires and general decluttering.

Gingerbread House Music fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 13, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

Never. ZTL is a legitimate innovation.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Reading this makes me so pleased that my clutch cover costs like £20, new.

Mine is a little cheaper. Buuuut I enjoy this poo poo so :pcgaming:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
(Yesterday) Rode it, thereby renewing my license to critique superior riders and bieks on the Internet. Winter just keeps coming back for unrequested encores, so consecutive riding days are still rare. Poor bike was covered in so much tree pollen I felt like dumping a bottle of Benadryl in the tank.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Installed a Denali Sound Bomb (which is basically yet another pattern copy of the Stebel Nautilus but a bit more ruggedly built). Had to bodge up a mount out of the mounts for my old horns - the gods of bodging were with me because I only realised the box was missing the mount after I'd removed the old horns and redid the wiring, but the PIAA mounts were the exact right length to do the job. Will probably revisit the mount when they send me the proper one as it's a bit shaky at the moment.

Would post the video of it making one of my neighbours jump like the old lady from the Tom and Jerry cartoons but my bloody helmet camera decided to eat the video :smith:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
went to jet it only to find out the po did it for me. so stuffed a shim under the needle and corrected the surging.

Also hauled my new tires to work. :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

went to jet it only to find out the po did it for me. so stuffed a shim under the needle and corrected the surging.

Hah! You have a spare tire.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Chichevache posted:

Hah! You have a spare tire.

It Dunlop over his stomach.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

cursedshitbox posted:

The riding challenge game carried over another week due to inactivity so you could get the ball rolling on the Super challenge with this one! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711913&pagenumber=3

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
oh sweet, thought it was already onto a new challenge
plus this bike really isn't worthy :v:

1. I hate working on dirty poo poo.
2. I hate water restrictions.
3. double rimlocks are sent from hell
4. double rimlocks are better than ruined tubes in the middle of a trail.
5. this took 3 loving hours too long.

fuckits friday going to go get it dirtier. :getin:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Paid for it in full, picked it up, rode the loving poo poo out of it. I'm IN LOVE.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

VERTiG0 posted:

Paid for it in full, picked it up, rode the loving poo poo out of it. I'm IN LOVE.

So get your loving passport renewed and come ride over the border.

Also buy my smoker.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Working toward fixing the steering head bearing on my Ninja (and then maybe I'll sell it or just keep wrenching on it for fun). I managed to break loose some of the bolts that were way way more stiff then they had any right to be. Why in the hell do I need to use a socket wrench and a hammer to loosen the lower clamp :smith:.

Sadly I can't seem to break the steering head bolt out so time to get a socket adapter for my breaker bar. Instead I did a teardown of the front brake because why not.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

apseudonym posted:

Why in the hell do I need to use a socket wrench and a hammer to loosen the lower clamp :smith:.

PO's are great.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Slavvy posted:

PO's are great.

I think the last people that touched it was the dealership's shop, but given my later experiences with the shop its probably worse than a PO. They also screwed up mounting the rear brake pads so that they applied at a 45 degree angle. That was angering.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Finally got around to installing a new TPS on my FZ6. I was starting to forget why I like that bike. Remove tank, remove airbox, remove fuel rail, remove the little chingaderry that controls the throttle bodies, unplug a bunch of lines, remove the TBs themselves, replace busted TPS.

Aaaaand now my DRZ is down. I think my stator is making GBS threads itself*. loving bikes.

new coil, new plug, carb is clear, but the bike dies on idle when warm and backfires really badly above maybe 7krpm. I'm thinking valve (I just checked them, jfc) or stator. Adjusting the pilot screw has no real effect.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 17, 2015

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Sheared a bolt in my shifter linkage, ending my first track day about half-way through. The first half was pretty awesome though and the failure didn't have any consequences other then making me pit out and end my day. Spending the rest of the day shuttling bikes was a pain in the rear end though, clearly need to work on our track day prep and routine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

M. Night Skymall posted:

Sheared a bolt in my shifter linkage, ending my first track day about half-way through. The first half was pretty awesome though and the failure didn't have any consequences other then making me pit out and end my day. Spending the rest of the day shuttling bikes was a pain in the rear end though, clearly need to work on our track day prep and routine.

drat, dude. I bet if you asked around someone could have gotten you running again.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

drat, dude. I bet if you asked around someone could have gotten you running again.

I asked around and couldn't find anyone with a spare shift rod, we tried to scavenge one from my friend's CBR600 that was having fueling issues but it didn't work out. I got half a track-day out of it and the organization charges 50% for your first time so I guess I got my money's worth :v:. We did sort of work out a way to fix it but it would have taken so long I might have gotten 1 more session at best assuming nothing went wrong with our bodge attempt. Gonna chalk it up to a lesson in using a rearset with easily interchangeable parts and not some cheap poo poo.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Garaged it for the next four months b/c a friend gave me her SD990 to 'babysit' over the winter.

Renewed my life insurance policy.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

prukinski posted:

Renewed my life insurance policy.
Wise choice.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Cleaning carbs, ran out of compressed air. I swear I need a subscription lol.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

BlackMK4 and I changed a fork seal and bled my brakes. Rides much better now! Thanks dude

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
If I have two people, do I need to make a brake bleeder or can I just have someone pump the brakes while I do my thing?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Lynza posted:

If I have two people, do I need to make a brake bleeder or can I just have someone pump the brakes while I do my thing?

Unless you have T-Rex arms you should be able to do it by yourself, front or rear. I've bought two Mityvacs (killed one because I'm a moron) and I found I've always ended up pumping the brakes by hand each time. Hell, unless you have linked brakes I'll be you can gravity bleed with no issues.

Try it without a Mityvac first.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, you can do it yourself. Order some speed bleeders to put in at the same time.

Schroeder91 posted:

BlackMK4 and I changed a fork seal and bled my brakes. Rides much better now! Thanks dude

Yuppp.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I changed the oil.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Packed the bike up to leave after work tomorrow for camping in the Adirondacks/Albany area.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
I got caught in a ton of rain, found out my flasher relay housing disconnected so the relay was dangling, and flooded it with water. Dried it out overnight, plugged it back in, and now the signals get brighter, but don't blink when switched on. Looks like I'll be ordering a new one (no auto stores have the right type near me) and using hand signals for the next few days.

Retarded Pimp posted:

Packed the bike up to leave after work tomorrow for camping in the Adirondacks/Albany area.

Where are you headed? I'm moving up to the finger lakes region in a couple of weeks and am looking for some good camping spots!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Yes Virginia, avatars do come true.*

Saw a massive US flag (as it turns out, 10' x 19') on the ground in front of an area business and partially in a major roadway. Flipped around, collected it, and will turn it over to the owners tomorrow. All cloth, embroidered, a real masterpiece. Def not one of those silkscreened tent material jobs that are always in shreds. I appreciate that people fly it, but there's a protocol and a dash of skill and effort required. Pic or two tomorrow mebbe.

*except for that nostalgia dude...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Marv Hushman posted:

*except for that nostalgia dude...
Nostalgia4Dicks got a new avatar. Unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Sorry for the late reply, I've been... out.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Finally got around to yanking the carbs off the Goldwing.

Now I get to see how long working on four 70's era Keihins takes until I reach the point where I want to stab myself in the face.
whatever you do, make sure the slides stay with their matched caps. even if you get proper vacuum (see suck test) it doesn't mean it's PROPER vacuum.
Those bastards will be the death of me, I swear to God.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Wasn't it gnarlycharlie that worked on some goldwing carbs for a month before buying a NOS set, working on THOSE for a month, and then just finding out that 25% of all goldwing carbs are shot with no hope of ever repairing them?

Indeed.
I have about a dozen sets now.

THOSE GODDAMN ALUMINUM SLIDES.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 19, 2015