Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Testament were actually boring the whole time, that's how they've remained consistent.
Overkill are still making good albums, just not on par with Years of Decay or Horrorscope. Sometimes I wish more bands would go the Bolt Thrower route and say "we're not making anything new until we're confident we can make something better than the last album," but it's pretty hard to keep up interest for touring if you never have anything new come out. Unless you break up for a long time first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I kinda think peak Overkill is Feel the Fire and Taking Over.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

AgentJotun posted:

I kinda think peak Overkill is Feel the Fire and Taking Over.
If you did not like everything up to and including Horrorscope, I don't know what to tell you.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I wonder what bands like Sepultura, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc., etc. think when they listen to their old albums. Do they -- deep down -- honestly and truly believe that their new stuff is just as good or do they forever wonder why they can't "nail it" like they did back in the early days? Or is it all simply a case of not having to give a gently caress anymore.
That youthful angst and energy is something that's just plain harder to conjure up as you get older, and most metal musicians know it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Kumbamontu posted:

New BTBAM song/video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R40wAZxMsTg

Pretty groovy and the production is crisp as hell

The first track they released was a bit wonky, so it's good to hear that this song is more solid. 3:00 onwards is amazing.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 22, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

I wonder what bands like Sepultura, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc., etc. think when they listen to their old albums. Do they -- deep down -- honestly and truly believe that their new stuff is just as good or do they forever wonder why they can't "nail it" like they did back in the early days? Or is it all simply a case of not having to give a gently caress anymore.

Dave Mustaine said at some point he doesn't have another Rust In Peace in him since he gave up blow.

i think a lot of it is the brief bit of mainstream success they had 20-25 years ago messed them up and they're still trying to write for radio.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

There are a few who can embrace this fact--though they're far and few between--and recognize that they're either no longer capable or don't have the desire to "go back to the well one more time" and kind of embrace a new direction. AND make it work. I'd argue Iron Maiden, Prong, Opeth, and Rush are among these.

Oh, and Ghost of course.
Katatonia and Anathema were both born for this, totally changing styles at least twice in their musical careers so far. As I get older I just want to write thick nasty doom metal, though.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

edit: nevermind

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wish Anathema had at least 1 more death-doom album in em tho. :smith:

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

Turk February posted:

Machine Head is poo poo after "Burn My Eyes". You should also listen to Vio-Lence instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjoVw1YmSnk

Amazing instrumentals, dat guys voice do' :(

muike posted:

cilice textures sikth

Cilice and Sikth are both amazing thank you for those recommendations. Ive been jamming to them both.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
which textures did you check out

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

muike posted:

which textures did you check out

I listened to Reaching Home and didn't like it very much.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've got to tell you the whole album that's off of is pretty weak. Check out their early albums. Specifically the songs Young Man, Swandive, Laments of an Icarus, and basically anything off of Silhouettes and Drawing Circles.

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

muike posted:

I've got to tell you the whole album that's off of is pretty weak. Check out their early albums. Specifically the songs Young Man, Swandive, Laments of an Icarus, and basically anything off of Silhouettes and Drawing Circles.

Listening to Silhouettes now, good poo poo. I must have picked a bad song for my initial listen.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You totally did, but it's a shame that album sucks because their new singer has some good pipes. He's the dude from Cilice.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Any recommendations for somebody who likes Powerwolf?

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Sabaton, I guess?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I just posted a new Powerwolf song a couple pages back remarking on how much it sounds like Sabaton.

Other suggestions, going with the "fun, cheesy, catchy melodic metal (with a gimmick)" angle:

Gloryhammer

Alestorm

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Reporting in from seeing Cryptopsy/Disgorge/Erimha/Soreption last night. Cryptopsy was awesome, very intense. Good mixture of new and old material. I really wanted to see Soreption to see if they could live up to the tightness of their recorded material and they absolutely delivered. I've been fans of theirs for a while but talking to a few people they definitely gained a few new ones in the crowd.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kumbamontu posted:

New BTBAM song/video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R40wAZxMsTg

Pretty groovy and the production is crisp as hell

:drat:

Wow, that's good. Can't wait for the whole thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NarkyBark posted:

Reporting in from seeing Cryptopsy/Disgorge/Erimha/Soreption last night. Cryptopsy was awesome, very intense. Good mixture of new and old material. I really wanted to see Soreption to see if they could live up to the tightness of their recorded material and they absolutely delivered. I've been fans of theirs for a while but talking to a few people they definitely gained a few new ones in the crowd.

How does Cryptopsy's new guy handle Lord Worm songs?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hey all y'all flowery power metal dweebs. Yes, you, I know you're hiding there somewhere.

Do you miss early Sonata Arctica? Would you like more of basically the same stuff but sung by Timo Kotipelto from Stratovarius?

If yes, then check out the new album from Cain's Offering. If not, then I advise to avoid that link, as it is liable to give you insulin shock. It's ridiculously saccharine euro power metal in its purest form, the musical equivalent of stuffing your mouth full of gummi bears; perversely appealing, but will make you queasy.

It's not really surprising since one of the founding members is the ex guitarist from Sonata Arctica, but god drat some of the stuff on this album could be lifted straight out of Ecliptica.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 15, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Every time someone brings up Cryptopsy in 2015 I feel weird because I completely stopped paying attention after they changed things up and released that first awful deathcoresque song. Have they turned things around finally? Old Cryptopsy has always been legendary poo poo for me and Lord Worm was a huge part of that. If they've released good material though I'm down. Good vocals and riffs are the clinchers.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Kilometers Davis posted:

If they've released good material though I'm down. Good vocals and riffs are the clinchers.

Nope.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Every time someone brings up Cryptopsy in 2015 I feel weird because I completely stopped paying attention after they changed things up and released that first awful deathcoresque song. Have they turned things around finally? Old Cryptopsy has always been legendary poo poo for me and Lord Worm was a huge part of that. If they've released good material though I'm down. Good vocals and riffs are the clinchers.

The self-titled album from 2012 is really good. The vocals, riffs, solos, drumming, and production in general are a hell of a lot better than they were on the album that came before, which is the one you're referencing (22% average review on Metal-Archives)!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpflb_tKPiQ

Give that a listen, at least.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Optimum Gulps posted:

The self-titled album from 2012 is really good. The vocals, riffs, solos, drumming, and production in general are a hell of a lot better than they were on the album that came before, which is the one you're referencing (22% average review on Metal-Archives)!

While the self-titled record was better than "The Unspoken King", that's not a very high bar to be aiming for. I thought it was really generic and Matt McGachy is still a terribly boring vocalist by employing a bad knock off of Sven de Caluwe's (Aborted) growl and was real monotonous. After that it just felt like lifeless death metal to try and get back in the mists of good graces with the huge amount of their fanbase that they had lost as an act of desperation.

When "The Unspoken King" released and they toured in support of it, didn't they open up their shows with an intro basically decrying all the critics and called them babies if they didn't like it? The self-titled was real indicative of them realizing that they had hosed up.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Testament were actually boring the whole time, that's how they've remained consistent.
Overkill are still making good albums, just not on par with Years of Decay or Horrorscope. Sometimes I wish more bands would go the Bolt Thrower route and say "we're not making anything new until we're confident we can make something better than the last album," but it's pretty hard to keep up interest for touring if you never have anything new come out. Unless you break up for a long time first.

Overkill's latest album is pretty close to par

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
RIP Terry Jones. There's just nothing else that captures this feeling and vibe like Pagan Altar had. I was fortunate to see their only American show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkJJfCH-ul0

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Nordick posted:

Hey all y'all flowery power metal dweebs. Yes, you, I know you're hiding there somewhere.

Do you miss early Sonata Arctica? Would you like more of basically the same stuff but sung by Timo Kotipelto from Stratovarius?

If yes, then check out the new album from Cain's Offering. If not, then I advise to avoid that link, as it is liable to give you insulin shock. It's ridiculously saccharine euro power metal in its purest form, the musical equivalent of stuffing your mouth full of gummi bears; perversely appealing, but will make you queasy.

It's not really surprising since one of the founding members is the ex guitarist from Sonata Arctica, but god drat some of the stuff on this album could be lifted straight out of Ecliptica.
Doesn't totally thrill me the way the first half of Ecliptica does but it's definitely very reminiscent, thanks!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You're welcome.
Yeah the whole album isn't all Sonata Arctica worship, but a few of the songs just whisk me away to 16 years ago. Like the one I linked to and the Japanese bonus track. The rest is still mostly pretty decent melodic power metal, especially the title track. And the most remarkable thing is that Timo Kotipelto manages to not annoy me at all.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Is there a way I buy get the remastered Maiden albums without iTunes? I'd prefer FLAC with no DRM.

I'm thrilled that it's apparently one of few remasters that has a full dynamic range.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dominoes posted:

Is there a way I buy get the remastered Maiden albums without iTunes? I'd prefer FLAC with no DRM.

I'm thrilled that it's apparently one of few remasters that has a full dynamic range.
iTunes hasn't had DRM for over five years. 256 kbps AAC isn't lossless, but I have a much harder time distinguishing it from FLAC than I do with 320 kbps MP3.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Considering the whole thing is called "mastered for itunes" your choice is that or piracy.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Buy the CDs from Amazon and FLAC them yourself. It's confusingly easy and CDs are tytpically cheaper than digital media these days. I haven't checked specifically for the Remastered editions, but any given CD is $5-9 on Amazon or other retailers.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Furism posted:

Buy the CDs from Amazon and FLAC them yourself. It's confusingly easy and CDs are tytpically cheaper than digital media these days. I haven't checked specifically for the Remastered editions, but any given CD is $5-9 on Amazon or other retailers.

These are new remasters being done solely for itunes.

quote:

Parlophone Records (BMG/INgrooves Music Group for the USA) has announced the release of nineteen IRON MAIDEN catalog albums which have been Mastered For iTunes, encoded from 24-bit / 96 khz high resolution masters and now remastered with iTunes in mind, delivering the music to listeners exactly the way the artist and recording engineer intended. These are brand new remasters from their original analog sources, exclusively produced for iTunes.

You could always try to find the 1998 remasters or the 2002 re-issue of them, but they actually sound worse than the original releases.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

MrBling posted:

These are new remasters being done solely for itunes.

Ah, gently caress that then.

Personally I tend to prefer original recordings (unless they are notoriously bad). Remasters tend to do the whole "loudness war" bullshit and the dB is just unnecessarily high.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks dudes. I'll look more at iTunes.

Furism posted:

Personally I tend to prefer original recordings (unless they are notoriously bad). Remasters tend to do the whole "loudness war" bullshit and the dB is just unnecessarily high.
This one is supposedly not.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pope Guilty posted:

Any recommendations for somebody who likes Powerwolf?

Battle Beast is pretty rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKwRyzMQ13Q

Their only weakness is maybe writing too many songs about the Manga/anime Berserk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Furism posted:

Every Mastered for iTunes album I've bought sounds phenomenal. I mean very, very good and I can be quite anal about these things.