Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

AgentSythe posted:

I'm obviously not going to post an image macro on this comedy forum, but if ever there was a time for the original trollface comic, it's this moment.
Vintage, as always, is the superior format:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Can't wait for Sperling's spirited defense of him on Twitter soon.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Man, I was pretty sceptical at first but Collected Company is an absolute amazing build around card. Traded into the GW version and completely smashed abzan aggro, jeskai, mono red and RW tokens at FNM the other day. The fact you can just leave 4 mana up representing dromoka's command or valorous stance and just EOT company for something like a brimaz and deathmist raptor is really loving strong. Tempted to try different colours but really not sure which ones to splash, what do goons think about the deck?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm not really big into Magic but I started thinking of playing it again, because a lot of people play it here and I'm starting to feel left out of conversations. :v:

I've got a huge mishmash of cards I inherited from my cousin but I'm too paranoid to use anything with a lot of real world value and got a white New Phyrexia event deck. Anyone have any advice for playing or building on it? I'm bad at magic.

Also I have Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 and 2013, are either of them strictly better than the other?

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you can pierce through his awful writing, the whole thing is him complaining about this one time he got a DQ for fraud. Here's his own telling of what happened:

When he found out he had cheated, he deliberately covered it up. Judge made the right call, system working as intended.

I think my favorite part is the third part where he lists some scenarios, a couple of which are only DQ worthy if you lie about it or try to hide it.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
How do you guys feel about Rogue Deckbuilder? I'm a big fan of brewing interesting or fun decks and combos but there's just something about this guy that irritates the gently caress out of me.

I've been experimenting with Dragon Tempest + Descent of Dragons and saw he put together a list that just seems kind of garbage, I'm watching it now and Im not even sure he understands the combo he built this deck around.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL--PvMgGOUT5arLBOmp39lxlj7-Gd89qh

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Samael posted:

Man, I was pretty sceptical at first but Collected Company is an absolute amazing build around card. Traded into the GW version and completely smashed abzan aggro, jeskai, mono red and RW tokens at FNM the other day. The fact you can just leave 4 mana up representing dromoka's command or valorous stance and just EOT company for something like a brimaz and deathmist raptor is really loving strong. Tempted to try different colours but really not sure which ones to splash, what do goons think about the deck?

I've been really impressed by it on video/streams I've watched of it. It's cool to see GW get that dimension of being able to hold up mana for something that develops its board rather than just tricks that may end up not being needed (and that isn't just boring Boon Satyr). The modern decks with it on top of Chord seem good, too.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Whoa is that a real thing? I want it to be. Actually, I want someone to take a PTQ with zero losses while on mushrooms, like Dock Ellis and his and his LSD no-hitter.

If it wasn't him it was someone playing the weekend he won. Doc Ellis and the LSD no-no was exactly what I want to have happen. I wonder if I could play tripping balls...

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Pyronic posted:

How do you guys feel about Rogue Deckbuilder? I'm a big fan of brewing interesting or fun decks and combos but there's just something about this guy that irritates the gently caress out of me.

I've been experimenting with Dragon Tempest + Descent of Dragons and saw he put together a list that just seems kind of garbage, I'm watching it now and Im not even sure he understands the combo he built this deck around.

Rogue Deckbuilder is pretty terrible, I agree.

The only time it was funny was when he was against LSV's Splinter Living End deck playing Soul Sisters and you could see two points of view of the game. He didn't know what the hell was going on.

On the Dragon Tempest + Descent of the Dragons deal, I think Temur Dragons is the way to go for that kind of deck but haven't found the exact shell for it yet. Sarkhan, thunderbreak regent and dragon tempest is pretty nice- though it's more of a Temur Goodcards with descent as plan B rather than using the combo to win.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Tournament report time!!!!!

Just played at a PreTQ today in Calgary. Modern format, brought Bogles with 3 main deck suppression field. Ended up at 3-2-1 losing my last round the win and in for top 8 :(

Round 1 vs Tarmo-Twin. Win 2-1

I win the die roll

G1: I lead with T1 fetch into bogle, T2 Rancor + ethereal swing 5. T3 Ethereal + Coronet. Opponent plays 2 serum visions and a remand and scoops, in addition to those I see scalding tarn, steam vents, and stomping ground.

I assume he's on tarmo-twin and side in paths, natures claim, and runed halo.

G2: I keep a hand that is fast, but doesn't interact, and no lifelink. He has goyfs, they kill me.

G3: I go T1 fetch, bogle pass. Opponent goes T1 fetch (doesn't crack) pass. I go T2 razorverge and jam a suppression field. I ask "resolves?" Opponent goes "yep" so I swing for 1 and pass, opponent reaches for his fetch ad EOT and then frowns at himself. I drop a spiritdancer and draw all the cards while swinging for everything forever.

Round 2 vs MOTHERFUCKING SKRED. Win 2-1.

G1: I hit T1 Bogle, T2 Rancor + ethereal, then T3 coronet. and that's G1

I side in leylines Because I guess why not?

G2: I keep a hand with 3 creatures, 3 land, and a coronet. All I need is an aura! I proceed to draw land and ALL 3 REMAINING DAYBREAK CORONETS. welp.

I switch out leylines for paths, it just makes more sense.

G3: I mull to 6, he mulls to 5, I have T1 bogle into T2 double ethereal, opponent scoops.

R3 vs Ad nauseum draw.

Opponent is a teammate so we both just draw and then go and grab snacks.

R4 vs Jund (it's back!) Lose 1-2

G1: He Maelstrom Pulses my double suppression field and gets me with Lilliana.

Side in: Runed Halo and Leylines

G2: I nut draw and get in there

G3: I ship my 7 back, and keep a risky 6, it's risky because it has a loving dryad arbor in hand, and it doesn't have a bogle, but if I draw a land I'll be okay. Opponent has thoughtseize T1. My day is not made any better by the fact that my T1 AND T2 draws are both Leyline of Sanctity, gently caress. I get opponent to 3, but then my Pants'd up Arbor eventually dies and I never draw another land or creature.

R5 vs Tarmo-Twin Win 2-1
I win the die roll.

G1: My T1 Bogle into T2 rancor + Ethereal into T3 Ethereal + Coronet is faster than his T4 twin

Sideboard: paths, natures claim and runed halo all come in.

G2: I get eaten alive by Clique and goyf beats after his clique takes my coronet away.

G3: T1 Bogle T2 Suppression Field, opponent gets stuck on two lands and my board ends up being made up of double spiritdancer, two bogles, and I just start chaining auras forever and he can't do anything.

R6 This is my win and in for top 8. vs Jund Lose 2-0

G1: I don't see a fetchland or a suppression field and eventually lsoe to T1 thoughtseize, T2 Goyf, T3 LotV

G2: Opponent mulls to 6, I still don't see a Leyline or a suppression field, I make a huge misplay in this game by playing my fetch too early like an rear end in a top hat. And that's all she wrote for me.

Finished one place shy of top 16 prizing.

Oh well.

Kholagans command made Jund make a huge comeback, it was truly bananas how much of the meta it made up.

Judge story since I guess it;s the cool thing to post. Right before round 5 the head judge came up to me asked me my name and pulled me aside, and then asked me if I drew in round 3, and if so why. I replied with "we're teammates and we didn't feel like playing eachother." Two which the just said "okay." and that's the end of my terrifically boring judge story.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Samael posted:

Rogue Deckbuilder is pretty terrible, I agree.

The only time it was funny was when he was against LSV's Splinter Living End deck playing Soul Sisters and you could see two points of view of the game. He didn't know what the hell was going on.

On the Dragon Tempest + Descent of the Dragons deal, I think Temur Dragons is the way to go for that kind of deck but haven't found the exact shell for it yet. Sarkhan, thunderbreak regent and dragon tempest is pretty nice- though it's more of a Temur Goodcards with descent as plan B rather than using the combo to win.

I also think it might have to be Temur, but I think the curve needs to be super low. Might pick up a couple sarkhans and thunderbreaks which gives tempest something to work with if you dont draw descent, but if you draw descent and not tempest you need a full board to get enough dragons to close out the game and if you draw neither you could run aggressive.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Anatharon posted:

I'm not really big into Magic but I started thinking of playing it again, because a lot of people play it here and I'm starting to feel left out of conversations. :v:

I've got a huge mishmash of cards I inherited from my cousin but I'm too paranoid to use anything with a lot of real world value and got a white New Phyrexia event deck. Anyone have any advice for playing or building on it? I'm bad at magic.

Also I have Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 and 2013, are either of them strictly better than the other?

Get yourself some KMC Hyper Matte sleeves and some KMC Perfect Size and stop being :tinfoil:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ErMkA_c_c
(hit the gear icon and set the speed to 1.25 to make him sound like a normal person)

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 18, 2015

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

MisterOblivious posted:

Get yourself some KMC Hyper Matte sleeves and some KMC Perfect Fits and stop being :tinfoil:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ErMkA_c_c
(hit the gear icon and set the speed to 1.25 to make him sound like a normal person)

Holy poo poo he does sound normal at 1.25 what the gently caress.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Pyronic posted:

Holy poo poo he does sound normal at 1.25 what the gently caress.

Yeah, he's even commented about it. Like, I think he said something about his wife saying it makes him sound like a normal person.

It's a great feature that I've gotten a helluva lot of use out of that I would have continued to ignore if not for that channel.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
IIRC he slows down as a habit 'cause one of the classes he teaches is English as a Second Language. Gotta enunciate like hell when you're teaching pronunciation basics to a class full of immigrants with seven different mother tongues.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

MiddleEastBeast posted:

lol, gently caress off man, seriously

Who judges the judgemans?????

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Who judges the judgemans?????

We have a committee for that, composed of high level judges, and wizards employees, actually :goonsay:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
cml's journal. may 12th, 2015

greater mossdog in graveyard, tire tread on burst stomach. this ptq is afraid of me. i have seen its true face. the tables are extended gutters and the gutters are full of smelly nerds and when the top 8 finally wraps up, my friend Rob will win. the accumulated filth of all their rear end cracks and copies of murder will foam up around their waists and all the judges and TO's will look up and shout "judges are here to help you"

...and i'll look down, and whisper "no."

...and then i'll write a long boring blog post about it

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

We have a committee for that, composed of high level judges, and wizards employees, actually :goonsay:

I was at a judge conference in Philadelphia on Saturday where this was covered in great detail. Pretty interesting stuff!

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Speaking of judging if you watched the scg stream on Saturday you probably saw me on camera. Working coverage is great.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

black potus posted:

greater mossdog in graveyard, tire tread on burst stomach. this ptq is afraid of me. i have seen its true face. the tables are extended gutters and the gutters are full of smelly nerds and when the top 8 finally wraps up, my friend Rob will win. the accumulated filth of all their rear end cracks and copies of murder will foam up around their waists and all the judges and TO's will look up and shout "judges are here to help you"

Lmao

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

I was at a judge conference in Philadelphia on Saturday where this was covered in great detail. Pretty interesting stuff!

Yeah, we talked about it when I went to Serbia in January, it was pretty enlightening. Got some business cards too, with links to the feedback form, but haven't had a reason to give them out. Won't go to the Summer one (in Turkey), which makes me sad, the deadline was yesterday. :saddowns:

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

black potus posted:

:golfclap:

I really like the Legends set symbol and wanted to get it on a custom playmat or sleeves or something, but now I can't. This guy ruined it, like how white supremacists ruined Nordic runes (false equivalency be damned).

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Pyronic posted:

I love the decks that he plays on MTGO Academy's Playing on a Budget, but his commentary is extremely annoying. A lot of it is how he says that life totals are "a" every time, like "this attack is going to put him down to a 7." But mainly it's that he mispronounces basically every card name without even bothering to try to read the spelling of the card. "Naik-thos Shrine to Nix," come on, you can't pronounce the same word differently in a single card name.

Since very few people bother to play the kind of decks he plays, though, I put up with it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Hey I picked that theme out <:mad:>

Also lol if you can't separate tone from content

lol if you picked that theme out

i guess it's in the theme of the blog to look like a 1994 geocities (gabriel) angelfire page

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 18, 2015

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Maro's latest column implies that landwalk may be phased out in Origins and that this would leave room for a new evergreen keyword. Maybe prowess is becoming evergreen?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Maro's latest column implies that landwalk may be phased out in Origins and that this would leave room for a new evergreen keyword. Maybe prowess is becoming evergreen?

I'm hoping for landhome

also doesn't phasing it out mean it'll just come back in the next set

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

please add this to the OP

This as well

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Someone asked why Scry and Cycling aren't evergreen, and he said that "there's a limited number of mechanics that can be evergreen". There's 17 cards in all of Magic with Fight (2 of them in Core Sets), 31 with Intimidate (6 in Core Sets), and MTGSalvation's list counts Equip and Enchant as mechanics. On the list are also Landwalk and Regeneration. Just put Scry, Kicker and Cycling in evergreen, cmon.

When do Origins spoilers drop again?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Serperoth posted:

Full spoiler for a normal set is 1 week before the prerelease, and then spoiler season is the preceding two weeks with some light spoilers in the build toward.

So mid-june is about where it begins.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Have Scry and Cycling in every set forever, please.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lunsku posted:

Have Scry and Cycling in every set forever, please.

This so Living End grows stronger as a Modern deck every year.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Someone asked why Scry and Cycling aren't evergreen, and he said that "there's a limited number of mechanics that can be evergreen". There's 17 cards in all of Magic with Fight (2 of them in Core Sets), 31 with Intimidate (6 in Core Sets), and MTGSalvation's list counts Equip and Enchant as mechanics. On the list are also Landwalk and Regeneration. Just put Scry, Kicker and Cycling in evergreen, cmon.

Intimidate is actually an alright mechanic, and fight would be cool too if it were used more often. lol that equip and enchant X are considered mechanics and not like, card types or whatever.

Landwalk is so useless as evergreen, really only islandwalk has any kind of flavor reason to be kept anyway

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I just want them to make a planeswalker that gives plainswalk or turns into a creature with plainswalk.

And then a creature with planeswalkerwalk because I want the rules to be impenetrable I guess

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Kicker will never be evergreen, and maro considers it a mistake bc of how many mechanics can just be reduced to "kicker with ___" or "kicker with ____ drawback"

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Death Bot posted:

Kicker will never be evergreen, and maro considers it a mistake bc of how many mechanics can just be reduced to "kicker with ___" or "kicker with ____ drawback"

isn't the idea that people like kicker but x or kicker with x like a sign that kicker worked really well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

Intimidate is actually an alright mechanic, and fight would be cool too if it were used more often. lol that equip and enchant X are considered mechanics and not like, card types or whatever.

Landwalk is so useless as evergreen, really only islandwalk has any kind of flavor reason to be kept anyway

I don't like Intimidate, it feels very narrow (liked Fear better too), but Fight has the exact issue you mentioned, it's barely there. Cycling and Kicker have 160+ and 110+ cards each, and they're both much better mechanics than "alright". Drop Landwalk, drop Regeneration, put in two of Cycling/Scry/Kicker.

Alternatively, drop those two, and add a semi-evergreen category of stuff that's between evergreen and non-evergreen, so that you don't make a huge deal out of stuff like Scry.

• Locked thread