Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

quote:

Viv dissin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Sometimes I wonder if Viv likes killing Dragons as much as bull as that all I usually put her in the party for.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

Good things about DA2:

-The scene where Varric rolls into his house, kickflips down a rail and shoots like 30 dudes until Cassandra makes him tell the story correctly.
-Bethany I guess
-...?

-Aveline
-I personally really enjoyed hating Anders

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cythereal posted:

She's also very unhelpful at the Winter Palace. Viv ends up doing basically nothing for the Inquisition, which makes sense: she is here to use you and your organization to further her own ends, not the other way around.

I don't know about that. Viv is personally one of the most powerful people in the Inquisition and I assume she is using that power to the Inquisition's benefit as she needs the Inquisition strong to use it for her own benefit, it just doesn't get brought up much beyond her initial recruitment conversation. And I think it makes a lot less sense to kick Viv out than Sera, because Sera contributes absolutely nothing to the Inquisition beyond her own services as Red Jenny is a very unreliable news network that is eclipsed by Leliana and Varric.

Anyway, I really enjoyed Viv in my playthrough. She's a ridiculously transparent character, and her motives are easy to understand. Sure, her motives are largely selfish and very bad for the world at large, but unlike most selfish assholes in Bioware games she doesn't disapprove of helping people or acting selflessly in certain situations. As long as the Inquisition's end goal can put her in a better political position she doesn't mind being a good person. Also, if you get high approval with her (which I managed to do despite having an opposing worldview to her) she and the Inquisitor actually become pretty good friends, and she becomes a lot nicer and warmer in interactions, even though her motives remain the same. Oh, and she despises Morrigan and immediately discusses with you plans to kill her or capture her in the possibility that she betrays the Inquisition after drinking from the well. Which is appreciated, because trusting Morrigan is a stupid move.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HIJK posted:

I feel like if people played Dragon Age 2 they could appreciate it for what it is. Listening to bitter gamers on the internet doesn't form a coherent opinion about anything.

Why do you assume people didn't play Dragon Age 2? Preordered, at release? Because getting burned by that was why I didn't preorder Inquisition. I super hated it!

I mean, can people not be bitter about a thing they actually played?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Any game where I need to console kill mobs out of sheer tedium is bad and no one should he blamed for not wanting to slog through that garbage to find the parts where varric says a thing or whatever. Sorry about your brain damage.

So your problem with DA2 was that it was a very faithful sequel to DA:O? Because man I just played DA:O and gently caress the combat was boring garbage. And yet people still suggest playing through DA:O for its lovely writing. The main reason I got through some segments were Shale's banter, and or Morrigan's.

Actually, all of the good writing in DA:O is in the banter and the codex. So I guess playing is a necessary evil.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Midnight Voyager posted:

Why do you assume people didn't play Dragon Age 2? Preordered, at release? Because getting burned by that was why I didn't preorder Inquisition. I super hated it!

I mean, can people not be bitter about a thing they actually played?

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
So bessst romance? I have to say Solas, followed by Cullen, then Iron Bull, then Josie, then Sera. Sera's an immature little poo poo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Josephine's is the most well-executed, Solas' is the best story-woven, and Bull's is the most fun, if only for the scene where they walk in on the two of you.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

gently caress you guys, I romanced Cassandra. It took some effort, what with my being a human mage atheist. I made her give up pursuing becoming the divine too... Hell, even she noted what an odd couple we were. Still it was a grandiose display of pixelated tits sprinkled over with awkward make out sessions in the smithy.

She won me over after I caught her reading Varrics books. Too cute.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Paranoid Peanut posted:

gently caress you guys, I romanced Cassandra. It took some effort, what with my being a human mage atheist. I made her give up pursuing becoming the divine too... Hell, even she noted what an odd couple we were. Still it was a grandiose display of pixelated tits sprinkled over with awkward make out sessions in the smithy.

She won me over after I caught her reading Varrics books. Too cute.

Her closet knowledge of literature is great.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Nasgate posted:

So your problem with DA2 was that it was a very faithful sequel to DA:O? Because man I just played DA:O and gently caress the combat was boring garbage. And yet people still suggest playing through DA:O for its lovely writing. The main reason I got through some segments were Shale's banter, and or Morrigan's.

Actually, all of the good writing in DA:O is in the banter and the codex. So I guess playing is a necessary evil.

You're an idiot. If you can't understand why da2 combat is infinitely worse than origins, then that's your problem. Its not my job to educate you.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You're an idiot. If you can't understand why da2 combat is infinitely worse than origins, then that's your problem. Its not my job to educate you.

Since you were apparently so bad at DA2 you had to use console commands to get kills then maybe you shouldn't be chucking rocks from your glass house. Because DA2 was actually infinitely better than DA:O or as I refer to it, that game where I spent all my stamina on passive effects and auto attacked my way to victory while my 2 mages swapped off cone of cold cycling. The height of excitement, that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Failboattootoot posted:

Since you were apparently so bad at DA2 you had to use console commands to get kills then maybe you shouldn't be chucking rocks from your glass house. Because DA2 was actually infinitely better than DA:O or as I refer to it, that game where I spent all my stamina on passive effects and auto attacked my way to victory while my 2 mages swapped off cone of cold cycling. The height of excitement, that.

This is why you are loving dumb. I used console commands because it was boring not because it was difficult I'm any sort of interesting way. I don't know how anyone with any kind of respect for their own spare time could play a game with such offensively tedious combat and pretend like it's good.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You seem pretty worked up about something Knuc!

To be fair, I played DA2 as a mage and a cleansing fire was constantly raining upon my enemies so the wave combat didn't really bother me because it all ended so quickly, but God help you if you played a warrior or something. Though playing a warrior in DAO is also tedious garbage, in DAO so I dunno :shrug: DA2 did at least make an effort to make all the different spells and status effects play off of each other, as opposed to the three (possibly four?) spell combos that exist in DAO.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

:tumblrsay:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This is why you are loving dumb. I used console commands because it was boring not because it was difficult I'm any sort of interesting way. I don't know how anyone with any kind of respect for their own spare time could play a game with such offensively tedious combat and pretend like it's good.

No actually it means you are complete poo poo because if things are dragging that means you are sucking. You either built a dumb party or used bad talents and that is your own fault because it was pretty rare for even 3 wave fights to last longer than 30 seconds.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Failboattootoot posted:

No actually it means you are complete poo poo because if things are dragging that means you are sucking. You either built a dumb party or used bad talents and that is your own fault because it was pretty rare for even 3 wave fights to last longer than 30 seconds.

Its not a difficult game, I'm afraid. The talent trees are so simplified I think it's literally impossible to make a bad party. The game was just filled with boring repetitive fights against the exact same waves of enemies, which to a normal brained person is very tedious.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Its not a difficult game, I'm afraid. The talent trees are so simplified I think it's literally impossible to make a bad party. The game was just filled with boring repetitive fights against the exact same waves of enemies, which to a normal brained person is very tedious.

This and the areas were all the same semi linear path that were so lazily designed you could know the layout of a brand new map just by what type of area you were in.

They literally used one map for each terrain. It was the most boring piece of poo poo game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dragon Age 2 had a good foundation and ideas, it just wasn't implemented well, didn't have the development time the game really needed nor the budget for it really. You have to remember that Dragon Age: Origins took 5 years to develop and while it was a hit, it went far overbudget. Dragon Age 2 originally started as the second expansion pack to Dragon Age: Origins and it was given only slightly more development time and budget than an expansion pack would have received as a result.

On top of that they had to overhaul the textures considering Origins's textures were horribly dated even at release and the combat system had to be overhauled which would make all classes more involved in combat. The repetitive, boring environments and the wave based combat in place of proper combat encounters were a given after all the development budget was spent on that. It's a bad game, but given the budget and time it was pretty much doomed to be a bad game.

I won't excuse the really lovely writing or the disastrous marketing campaign that tried to make out Dragon Age 2 was the best thing since the invention of sliced bread when it's problems were really apparent even in the trailers and pre-release gameplay footage of the game though.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Eh, it's not like Origins was any better. Much fewer wave based fights, but your characters just leisurely strolled between enemies and non mages just took a half assed swing every now and then. And the Darkspawn were mechanically identical to every other humanoid enemy in the game, aside from dragons you basically repeat the same strategies forever.

The Deep Roads were more offensive as a combat section than anything in DA 2 or DA I. Even with its repeated environments DA 2 at least had the courtesy to keep it mercifully short.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Combat in Origins was even worse than DA2, though they were both bad. But there's no denying that DA:O was the better game overall. It's just that I can't go back to play either of them, while I still occasionally play Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate.

Best romance is obviously Dorian, followed by Cassandra and Blackwall.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

Torrannor posted:

Combat in Origins was even worse than DA2, though they were both bad. But there's no denying that DA:O was the better game overall. It's just that I can't go back to play either of them, while I still occasionally play Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate.

Yeah, Origins is definetly the better game. The origin system alone makes it so much more fun than DA 2. It's loving ridiculous that Bioware decided to ditch the playable origins, really set Dragon Age apart from other fantasy RPGs at the time.

I mean, they were probably a lot of work to develop, but with Inquisition style gameplay they could really add to the already decent replayability.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

The problem with the origins is that while they were great, they front-load most of the content specific to that origin that they could fit in the budget. You see a lot less race-specific dialogue in the rest of Origins because of this, while Inquisition has it spread out over the course of the game.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Stroop There It Is posted:

The problem with the origins is that while they were great, they front-load most of the content specific to that origin that they could fit in the budget. You see a lot less race-specific dialogue in the rest of Origins because of this, while Inquisition has it spread out over the course of the game.

No...in Origins most of the origins had meaningful callbacks depending on what you chose. The dwarf noble had more of a vested interest in the Orzammer plot and the city elf with denerim etc. Inquisition had nothing but some meaningless dialogue choices, and Origins had tons of those too. Ooh, ohh wait. War Table missions. Freaking sweet wartable poo poo where if you kill your whole family there is literally zero reaction from anybody. Great poo poo. Well done, Bioware.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nasgate posted:

So your problem with DA2 was that it was a very faithful sequel to DA:O? Because man I just played DA:O and gently caress the combat was boring garbage.

Da:O had better combat than any role-playing game I know. Maybe you were too hotrodded for it.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Knuc U Kinte posted:

No...in Origins most of the origins had meaningful callbacks depending on what you chose. The dwarf noble had more of a vested interest in the Orzammer plot and the city elf with denerim etc. Inquisition had nothing but some meaningless dialogue choices, and Origins had tons of those too. Ooh, ohh wait. War Table missions. Freaking sweet wartable poo poo where if you kill your whole family there is literally zero reaction from anybody. Great poo poo. Well done, Bioware.

Also this. 90% of DA:I was about as involving as doing fetchquests in wow. The rest was combat and the ball event.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Da:O had better combat than any role-playing game I know. Maybe you were too hotrodded for it.

We are talking about the same DAO, right? The one with all the shuffling, rock-em-sock-em robots combat, horribly unbalanced mages, and the like?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Geostomp posted:

We are talking about the same DAO, right? The one with all the shuffling, rock-em-sock-em robots combat, horribly unbalanced mages, and the like?

That's the one. Now, reflect back on my first statement.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

That's the one.

Okay, just wanted to be clear.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I've made a terrible mistake: I started a Sera romance and boy was that a bad idea :saddowns: Can I cancel it and start another or do I have to roll back to a much earlier save?

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The war table stuff would be a lot more palatable if they could have just strung together one "physical" encounter for each war table arc. Something with in game dialog instead of paragraphs about the consequences of my lovely decisions.

It's really hard to care about it when it's all mostly isolated to that table. Like if they cut just one of the needlessly huge zones and instead put that towards war table and judgments.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Not old enough to have played the Bioware Dungeon & Dragons classics? Origin was basically Infinity Engine combat but worse, which I have never understood. Bioware did it right in Baldur's Gate, and I was really pumped to have that kind of more deliberate combat again after nothing but Diablo 2 action RPGs, but they hosed it up and made the combat in Origins horrible.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The Jaws of Hakkon DLC has never ending streams of spider and barbarian mobs popping up on the map, to the point where I began to actively give them a wide berth so they wouldn't aggro and I wouldn't have to fight them, or just run away on the horse if they did see me. It did kinda remind me of when I started using killallhostiles in act 3 of DA2 because I just wanted the game to end and I was tired of fighting garbage enemies over and over.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Torrannor posted:

Not old enough to have played the Bioware Dungeon & Dragons classics? Origin was basically Infinity Engine combat but worse, which I have never understood. Bioware did it right in Baldur's Gate, and I was really pumped to have that kind of more deliberate combat again after nothing but Diablo 2 action RPGs, but they hosed it up and made the combat in Origins horrible.

DA:O was NWN combat but somehow they made it worse/slower.

DA2 combat had a good pace to it on a micro level but the waves of enemies is boring as poo poo.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I posted that based on what Mike Laidlaw said at PAX in response to a question, so... sorry, but that's how the devs saw it. I agree that there were still significant callbacks, but you're missing the additional budgeting constraints brought about by having a voiced Inquisitor. They had less room overall for race-specific stuff in Inquisition just because of that, not to mention they didn't have as much time. I think they also budgeted less for race-specific stuff in Inquisition then they did in Origins (considering that that is literally the title of the first game, I can see how they got the studio to go along with that), and I was disappointed by that, but there would have been even less race-specific stuff throughout Inquisition if they'd front-loaded it like in Origins.

e:

Pinely posted:

The war table stuff would be a lot more palatable if they could have just strung together one "physical" encounter for each war table arc. Something with in game dialog instead of paragraphs about the consequences of my lovely decisions.

It's really hard to care about it when it's all mostly isolated to that table. Like if they cut just one of the needlessly huge zones and instead put that towards war table and judgments.
I agree, they'd have been much more meaningful with at least a small cutscene or something, even if it wasn't playable (which is what I'd have ultimately preferred).

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 18, 2015

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

For those that have finished Jaws of Hakkon, any reason to do it before the endgame? Aside from the levels and gear helping with boss fights I'd guess. I'm level 20 with the dlc, the wastes, half of emprise, and the orlesian ball to do yet.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

bagrada posted:

For those that have finished Jaws of Hakkon, any reason to do it before the endgame? Aside from the levels and gear helping with boss fights I'd guess. I'm level 20 with the dlc, the wastes, half of emprise, and the orlesian ball to do yet.

Uhhh there might be content for a certain character there that you can't get otherwise? Dunno.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Torrannor posted:

That's because the Infinity Engine games used 2nd edition AD&D rules, barring Icewind Dale 2 which used 3rd edition but Bioware wanted to make a game similar to the Infinity Engine games without actually having to pay for the license for D&D.

Evidently, Bioware aren't very good at making brand new RPG combat systems from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Torrannor posted:

I dunno - I had a huge amount of fun as a two-dagger rogue in DA2. Assassin specialization makes you a non-stop super-fast killing machine. I found I really enjoyed the animations but that's just me? And while I love Inquisition - two-dagger combat is boring. As. Hell. in DAI. Two-Dagger in 2 made me feel like a loving ninja - in DAI I felt like I was wearing away at a boulder with my itty bitty blades. Stab stab stab stab stab (x 1000) oh thank the maker NOW HE'S DEAD.

I find I can't really compare Origins and DA2. They have such vastly different styles, so I wound up liking them for different reasons. *shrug* I liked the road trip-style story line of DAO to get all the treaties, but I also liked the time-jump 10-year story of DA2.

Random note - I started watching the Lost Girl season 2 DVD and they had a trailer for the most broke-rear end looking animated Dragon Age movie that's apparently about Cassandra?! Only she has long hair and looks like a flash animation anime character? Dawn of the Seeker or something? Cassandra is my favourite Dragon Age character bar none but holy poo poo that trailer looked terrible. Did anyone here wind up watching it?

Also, this Cassandra's not voiced by Miranda Raison? gently caress that nonsense.

• Locked thread