Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

Actually, not even that. The entire 3rd series run -which included that- one wasn't worth the fuel and plane rentals needed to airlift them to Zimbabwe, so technically it cost the government money to get those into circulation. When just released, one of those bad boys was worth two eggs or a small loaf of bread or something equally ridiculous.

But it still is the largest bill in denomination, where all the zeroes are printed individually.

I like the fact that they became unintentionally valuable as collectors items, curiosities, and oddities. Obviously not something you'd trade the farm over but people buy up stacks of them to be all like "I have TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Didn't post World War I Germany have the exact same problem, having it be a key factor in the Nazis rise to power (ie, they promised to fix that poo poo?)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Boy big?

Man small?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Istari posted:

Okay, where do I get one? (And is there a batman version ? Preferably a Val Kilmer ?)
The "Wow! Great! A gigantic friend!" part is my favourite.

That's an obvious, and quite old photoshop.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Der Kyhe posted:

Actually, not even that. The entire 3rd series run -which included that- one wasn't worth the fuel and plane rentals needed to airlift them to Zimbabwe, so technically it cost the government money to get those into circulation. When just released, one of those bad boys was worth two eggs or a small loaf of bread or something equally ridiculous.

But it still is the largest bill in denomination, where all the zeroes are printed individually.

it's like real life Snow Crash where getting stickers removed from your car runs you a billion bucks easy.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Nooo! My immersion :(

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

Didn't post World War I Germany have the exact same problem, having it be a key factor in the Nazis rise to power (ie, they promised to fix that poo poo?)

Nah that was a decade before the Nazis came to power.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Frostwerks posted:

it's like real life Snow Crash where getting stickers removed from your car runs you a billion bucks easy.

I vaguely remember the now-useless US federal government requiring employees to pay for toilet paper because it was too broke, and sending memorandums reminding them to absolutely not deface US currency by wiping their rear end with the billion-dollar Reagan notes that were cheaper than TP squares. drat I need to reread that novel.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wild T posted:

I vaguely remember the now-useless US federal government requiring employees to pay for toilet paper because it was too broke, and sending memorandums reminding them to absolutely not deface US currency by wiping their rear end with the billion-dollar Reagan notes that were cheaper than TP squares. drat I need to reread that novel.

The early chapter about the girl's mom who is a fed and it talks about how the government tracks how long you read each email. Too slow and you're old, inefficient and worthy of being fired. Too fast and you're labeled as an arrogant prick who thinks they know everything.
I laughed and laughed about how ridiculous that sounded

Then I got a job as a fed.
:negative::negative::negative:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Inzombiac posted:

The early chapter about the girl's mom who is a fed and it talks about how the government tracks how long you read each email. Too slow and you're old, inefficient and worthy of being fired. Too fast and you're labeled as an arrogant prick who thinks they know everything.
I laughed and laughed about how ridiculous that sounded

Then I got a job as a fed.
:negative::negative::negative:

The best part was finishing it in exactly the allotted time, down to the second which was something that required disciplinary action.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Frostwerks posted:

The best part was finishing it in exactly the allotted time, down to the second which was something that required disciplinary action.

I thought Hermes Conrad's agency was supposed to be a parody?

Jon Zyetta
May 6, 2003
Your Bargaining Posture Is Highly Dubious

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

I had one of those when I was little. It didn't have a wheel in its cage where I bought it so its first discovery of a hamster wheel was when I took it home. For 2 weeks, it ran on its wheel, seldom stopping to eat and drink. Then, one night, I woke up and found it dead on its wheel. I think its little heart just couldn't take the non-stop running. :(

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Bored posted:

I had one of those when I was little. It didn't have a wheel in its cage where I bought it so its first discovery of a hamster wheel was when I took it home. For 2 weeks, it ran on its wheel, seldom stopping to eat and drink. Then, one night, I woke up and found it dead on its wheel. I think its little heart just couldn't take the non-stop running. :(

are you sure you don't just need to plug it in and recharge it

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Master Twig posted:

Wow, way to kill the joy.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Bored posted:

At least it died doing what it loved.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Bored posted:

For 2 weeks, it ran on its wheel, seldom stopping to eat and drink. Then, one night, I woke up and found it dead on its wheel. I think its little heart just couldn't take the non-stop running. :(

This is a great metaphor for working in corporate America.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Bored posted:

Wow, way to kill the joy

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
We had a bunch of different hamsters growing up and for some reason the Russian dwarfs were 2 for 2 on being bitey assholes.

Don't get Russian dwarf hamsters.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

yook posted:

We had a bunch of different hamsters growing up and for some reason the Russian dwarfs were 2 for 2 on being bitey assholes.

This. My sister had 3 Syrian hamsters that were all nice, and one Russian which would bite you as soon as you touched it.

Jon Zyetta
May 6, 2003

Faux Mulder posted:

I am 1000000% sure it's rechargeable.

Bored posted:

And. And. And. You're breaking my cold, lifeless heart. :suicide:

Jon Zyetta
May 6, 2003

beato posted:

This. My sister had 3 Syrian hamsters that were all nice, and one Russian which would bite you as soon as you touched it.

Did the Russian one invade the others play areas?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Jon Zyetta posted:

Did the Russian one invade the others play areas?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Baraqua Man

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PYF Funny Pictures-- Way to Kill the Joy

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Stoatbringer posted:

Pah, mere pocket change.

(barely worth the paper it's printed on)

"We have a one hundred trillion dollar bill. Who do we put on it?"

"We're just going to burn them for warmth. Put a pile of rocks on it and call it a day."

"Sounds good to me."

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

They're in Southern Africa. Somehow I don't think warmth is an issue.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

yook posted:

beato posted:

The only hamsters worth buying are filigree Siberian hamsters. They're amazing creatures. They home.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Centripetal Horse posted:

The only hamsters worth buying are filigree Siberian hamsters. They're amazing creatures. They home.

Plus delicious

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Faux Mulder posted:

Ffffuck. Welp, too late now. it's been 20 years. I just figured he was recharging himself on the wheel.

Also, here is a battery that is recharged with urine:

Ssthalar posted:

At least it died doing what it loved.

That's what I told myself at the time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Centripetal Horse posted:

They were quite popular in England during the dark ages.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

InequalityGodzilla posted:

They're in Southern Africa. Somehow I don't think warmth is an issue.

The low in Zimbabwe's capital tonight is in the 40s (fahrenheit). :colbert:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

tractor fanatic posted:

Nah that was a decade before the Nazis came to power.

It was also the product of deliberate economic decisions made by the Weimar Republic: specifically printing large amounts of paper money with which to buy foreign currency to pay their war reparations with.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

WarpedNaba posted:

I thought Hermes Conrad's agency was supposed to be a parody?

It was supposed to but it was written by non-governmental employees.
There is an entry in my file for completing training courses too quickly despite getting perfect assessment scores.
The struggle is loving real.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

The low in Zimbabwe's capital tonight is in the 40s (fahrenheit). :colbert:

Climate change is a bitch!

If that even is climate change. I'm assuming 40f is not normal in the vast majority of Africa.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Climate change is doesn't exist!

Ftfy

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

How can global warming be real if it's snowing in Zimbabwe? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008