Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Are there any hidden gems out there with a similar mood to the Wolf games? Someone recommended Ubersoldier II some time ago and it's pretty good, if janky as poo poo. I'm probably one of the 1 or 2 people in the cosmos who legitimately enjoys the first Mortyr game, although it's pretty much impossible to get it to run on modern computers. I'm just looking for that similar pulp WWII "Those wacky Nazis are up to no good again!" madness.

Radically different genre, but Warfront: Turning Point is a decent enough C&C clone with Nazi exoskeletons and Soviet freeze-ray tanks. No clue if it's on Steam or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Singularity is cool as hell and I'd definitely recommend it. You can literally send people so far into the future they turn into dust.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Oh yeah I adore Singularity. It's more Wolfenstein than Wolf 09, in my opinion.

Turning Point is by the same dudes who did Legendary, which has a really kickass soundtrack and...that's it, really. I mean, listen to THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvVrku4ZzFQ :swoon:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mordja posted:

Radically different genre, but Warfront: Turning Point is a decent enough C&C clone with Nazi exoskeletons and Soviet freeze-ray tanks. No clue if it's on Steam or anything.
I own a physical copy of that game and for the life of me I cannot get it to work on my PC. I'd love it if it got picked up on Steam or whatever.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Are there any hidden gems out there with a similar mood to the Wolf games? Someone recommended Ubersoldier II some time ago and it's pretty good, if janky as poo poo. I'm probably one of the 1 or 2 people in the cosmos who legitimately enjoys the first Mortyr game, although it's pretty much impossible to get it to run on modern computers. I'm just looking for that similar pulp WWII "Those wacky Nazis are up to no good again!" madness.

There is the Indiana Jones Emperor's tomb game. Not sure how it runs on modern PCs but it was a decent game.

Uncharted 1 doesn't really have Nazis in it, but it has that supernatural mixed with regular enemies thing going on that I felt was very similar to Wolfenstein.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Oh yeah I adore Singularity. It's more Wolfenstein than Wolf 09, in my opinion.

Turning Point is by the same dudes who did Legendary, which has a really kickass soundtrack and...that's it, really. I mean, listen to THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvVrku4ZzFQ :swoon:

A shame their music is attached to such aggressively mediocre games. I just couldn't bring myself to care enough to finish either turning point or legendary. :meh:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Someone actually enjoyed ubersoldier II enough to recommend it? :psyduck:

It wasn't the worst game I've ever played but I wouldn't encourage anyone to try it out if they were itching for some nazi murder.

This little beauty however... :getin:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Übersoldier is great fun, and the sequel is even more fun.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I tried Ubersolder on someone in here's suggestion and it was godawful in every way.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I tried Ubersoldier 2 based on Xenomrph's suggestion too. It started with me in the back of a truck that would not stay still at any point while I tried to shoot at enemies that I couldn't get a bead on because everything was jumping around so much. Then I died and reloaded and I think when you do that it sets the difficulty up higher, because I was playing on normal and after I died it became exceptionally difficult to make it half as far as I did when I started from a new game. Also, when I finally got out of there, I discovered that doors that you can open and doors that are just decoration look exactly the same. I found this out when I went up a ladder with a door up top, got warned about having to defend against a swarm of Nazis, and then discovering the door wasn't openable and getting gunned down like Butch and Sundance.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I own a physical copy of that game and for the life of me I cannot get it to work on my PC. I'd love it if it got picked up on Steam or whatever.

Yeah, there's some sort of really weird bug with Windows 7 (?) where it won't recognize the game CD in the drive even if the actual disc is spinning in the drive. Only way around would be a crack.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
TOB is way harder than the main game so far. I only have it set on the middle difficulty.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

James Woods Fan posted:

TOB is way harder than the main game so far. I only have it set on the middle difficulty.

I noticed that, too. I played both games on the middle difficulty the first time through and TOB is much harder.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

James Woods Fan posted:

I finished TNO on uber just before this came out, and I had to play it on Death Incarnate.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Another old school callback in The Old Blood I loved: Finding keys! Of course the keys were in plain sight, usually in the same exact room/area as the locked door, but it was neat. It added to that action adventure feel Machinegames seems to be going for instead of an outright FPS.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

James Woods Fan posted:

:agreed:, I had an easy time in TNO on the middle one, and even going up to the second-hardest wasn't too rough outside of Deathshead himself, but TOB is challenging on the middle one, I had to turn down FROM the second-hardest.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Well, I've played it on second hardest from the beginning, and haven't turned the difficulty down once. Was tempted a few times, though... but when it comes to FPSes, I like hard.

I'm at the big boss fight now... don't really want to finish it because then the game will be over. :smith:

Bolow posted:

Also I'm glad I have the entirety of the first episode of Wolf3d ingrained into my memory that I'm pretty sure I can pass it off to my children because Hans Grosse would be literally impossible unless you knew where the secret room is to actually have something besides pistol and assault rifle :v:

Broose posted:

Hans was a chump for some reason. He went down with like two mags of the rifle. I guess for those who don't know that secret.

Yeah, the latter was my experience as well. I didn't play the original Wolf 3D very much, so I didn't know to look for a secret room. I just snuck up to him, gave him the entire clip of the assault rifle, and then an entire clip from the pistol, and he fell over dead. Granted, I didn't miss once, but still, was pretty easy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's always new game+ where you get to gently caress up Nazis in style right from the getgo.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, the latter was my experience as well. I didn't play the original Wolf 3D very much, so I didn't know to look for a secret room. I just snuck up to him, gave him the entire clip of the assault rifle, and then an entire clip from the pistol, and he fell over dead. Granted, I didn't miss once, but still, was pretty easy.

I knew about the secret room and grabbed the huge gun. Even though I was playing on Uber he fell in a second. I was rather sad.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Just finished Old Blood.

Pretty drat fun, well worth it.

Give me more nazis in space with magic though.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Playing through TOB a second time on a higher difficulty. The very beginning of the prison isn't so bad now that I realize you only need to turn off the first super soldier in each room and just pick their gun and go ham on the power sources on the other ones. The whole section was a breeze.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dangerous Person posted:

Playing through TOB a second time on a higher difficulty. The very beginning of the prison isn't so bad now that I realize you only need to turn off the first super soldier in each room and just pick their gun and go ham on the power sources on the other ones. The whole section was a breeze.
Also just for chuckles, if you've got one of the chainguns you can light up the Panzerhund you meet later in the level in one of the cell blocks and kill it outright.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Man, that was a stasifying session of Nazi killing. Feels like BJ murdered more in TOB Nazis then the Normandy invasion. According to a document I found that lists the causalities for Normandy at 156,000 to 89 in Germany's favor he probably did. :stare:

And here's to all those we lost, Kesslar, Wesley and Pippa, there will never be enough dead Nazis to account for your deaths.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nalin posted:

I knew about the secret room and grabbed the huge gun. Even though I was playing on Uber he fell in a second. I was rather sad.

Is he the one whose original gimmick was that he'd only die when you had <10 bullets left or something? I remember that being complete bullshit back in the day, and I vaguely remember it being a Wolfenstein.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

moths posted:

Is he the one whose original gimmick was that he'd only die when you had <10 bullets left or something? I remember that being complete bullshit back in the day, and I vaguely remember it being a Wolfenstein.

No, I don't believe Wolf3D had any gimmicks like that. According a quick Google search, he would drop in 50-60 bullets on the 2nd hardest difficulty.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Just finished TOB. I really like this incarnation of B.J.: tough talking and throwing one-liners around like a boss when around both friends and enemies, but inside he's pretty much completely broken, like you'd expect from someone who's known nothing but death for years on end. Good job, Machinegames!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Man, that was a stasifying session of Nazi killing. Feels like BJ murdered more in TOB Nazis then the Normandy invasion. According to a document I found that lists the causalities for Normandy at 156,000 to 89 in Germany's favor he probably did. :stare:

Considering the Nazi propaganda machine also claims BJ was executed for his little bout of Hitler murderin', I'm not going to assume they're being honest with the numbers.

They're Nazis. Never trust a Nazi.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

moths posted:

The only thing I can think where this was the case was Pyramid Head in Silent Hill 2.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

chiasaur11 posted:

Considering the Nazi propaganda machine also claims BJ was executed for his little bout of Hitler murderin', I'm not going to assume they're being honest with the numbers.
I must have missed that bit of propaganda, when did that happen?

Oh that reminds me, something ominous that the game doesn't address: the way the zombie gas works is that anyone who breathes it in becomes a murder-happy zombie at the moment of death. BJ was breathing that poo poo in real deep for the last 3 levels of the game, so what happens when he inevitably dies of old age or whatever? :ohdear:

Speaking of the ending, i wasn't that satisfied with the ending, the more I think about it. Sure BJ killed the big monster, but that wasn't the source of the zombie gas or whatever. And it's not like he collapsed the catacombs and sealed them off forever, since Fergus rescues him from the ruins.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Plot hooks!

Also this sheds a interesting light on the ending of TNO. Zombie BJ coming back with NUCLEAR FIRE POWERS to keep killing Nazi's forever. :getin:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Oh that reminds me, something ominous that the game doesn't address: the way the zombie gas works is that anyone who breathes it in becomes a murder-happy zombie at the moment of death. BJ was breathing that poo poo in real deep for the last 3 levels of the game, so what happens when he inevitably dies of old age or whatever? :ohdear:

Speaking of the ending, i wasn't that satisfied with the ending, the more I think about it. Sure BJ killed the big monster, but that wasn't the source of the zombie gas or whatever. And it's not like he collapsed the catacombs and sealed them off forever, since Fergus rescues him from the ruins.

I'm more disappointed that BJ killed the big monster. Let the Nazis deal with the fallout from opening that particular ark

I'm pretty sure the monster was what gave the gas it's... potency? Without the monster to generate the gas, it loses its effect?

I want a squeal set in the United states personally. Lets have a proper Turning Point Fall of Liberty. Preferably including a section set in the radioactive ruins of New York city :getin:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

And here's to all those we lost, Kesslar, Wesley and Pippa, there will never be enough dead Nazis to account for your deaths.

As much as I hate to say it, I hope Machine Games gets bored with Wolf after the next one/one after that.

Because then they can end the series with BJ killing ALL the Nazis. Forever.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Klaus88 posted:

I want a squeal set in the United states personally. Lets have a proper Turning Point Fall of Liberty. Preferably including a section set in the radioactive ruins of New York city :getin:
God yes. I hope a sequel visits other parts of the world.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rookersh posted:

As much as I hate to say it, I hope Machine Games gets bored with Wolf after the next one/one after that.

Because then they can end the series with BJ killing ALL the Nazis. Forever.
Hell no, I want to kill Nazis forever and I hope Wolfenstein games continue until the heat death of the universe.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Xenomrph posted:

I didn't assume that the gas effect was permanent. The zombie nazis were only created when it was around the whole village area, where the big cracks in the earth were releasing the gas. I figure you don't breath in the gas and now you have the ability to reawaken as a zombie when you die in the future, it's just being exposed to the gas at the time. Also BJ never dies so he wouldn't have to worry anyway

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

While they are different on the surface level, the Chronicles of Riddick games and the original The Darkness are very similar in spirit to the new Wolfensteins. That's because Machine Games are made up of ex-Starbreeze guys who made Riddick and Darkness. So all three have more of focus on writing, characters, and atmosphere than most other FPSes and they tend to give more freedom in how you approach dispatching enemies.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Newspaper article in the game announces the opening of a Normandy memorial in 1946. Built by allied POWs from the failed invasion in Normandy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's some Xbone deal happening right now that lets you get a digital Wolfenstein bundle with both games for $45, and the sales price is retroactively applied to the new game if you already own the old one or something? I dunno, I can't check for myself.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

God yes. I hope a sequel visits other parts of the world.

Wait until we meet the fearsome resistance leaders Malcolm X and Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.

"I have a dream... of a world in which there are no Nazis![/spoilers]

[spoiler] "The honorable Elijah Muhammad demands you kill all the Nazis

I admit I mostly put forward the above examples because of all the hackles it would raise on forums like Stormfront and :freep: but I still think it would be fitting for a US themed Wolfenstein game. :getin:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
One thing about the setting: if all this occult stuff is true with ancient monsters and zombies and such, why does it seem like only the Nazis use it? You'd expect the Allies to try using it to their advantage as well, especially when they are losing the war. Possible plot point for a TNO sequel: the Soviets ran a desperate secret project late in the war in an attempt to counter the Nazis by unconventional means. Armed with Da'at Yichud expertise, you go to the derelict facility where it was developed in order to complete the project and strike a blow against the enemy. Like, a teleportation gate that lets demons enter the world (Doom reference) or something that twists physics around, like the Zone from the Stalker novella and games. Or awakening a massive dormant sea monster that is capable of bringing down an entire Kriegsmarine flotilla by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I was under the impression that the Nazi simply found it before the Allies did. The Da'at Yichud technology was never meant to be used by anyone on any side in the first place.

• Locked thread