Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
So, my IS-3 crew finally reached 100% repair as a first skill. Where do I go from here?

I know I should probably retrain my commander for 6th sense, correct? Do I keep repair as first skill on everyone else? What should I do as secondary skills for heavies (or the IS-3 in particular)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

For the driver and gunner smooth ride and snapshot are usually the right answer. They help aiming quite a bit. On the loader it's eh, whatever. I rock safe stowage on mine.

And yeah, i kept repairs as a first skill for all except commander. There are also people who retrain all to BIA, and then start over on repairs. That depends on how much you like BIA and if you're willing to spend the gold / credits & time.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

British Heavy tank chat?

The only lovely tank in that line is the Tier 6 and only because tier 7's and 8's exist. The BP is awesome you will carry teams by taking all the shots that would kill your retards and instead maybe/maybe not bouncing them because BP armor is weird but glorious. The Caer owns, yeah it doesn't have the most amazing DPM but its turret + UFP are quite strong when just peeking your dick up over a hill a little bit, It also has very good on the move accuracy I think (Haven't looked at the stats for it). If you are shot anywhere but your turret or your UFP then yeah you're hosed and arty loves you. The Conq is a better M103, the hull is poo poo but the turret is actually still very tough thanks to its shape and it's gun has amazing DPM, Dispersion and aimtime values for a heavy tank. Again Arty loves you though.

TL:DR British tank very good would play again.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
What the hell can the Japanese heavy line even be? All they had were lovely tanks in WW2, and by the time their domestic tank industry got up and running, MBTs were the thing.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

Prav posted:

The AMX 30 branch has already gotten released. Remember that it also came with a gaggle of low-tier tanks that no one gave a poo poo about since WG refuse to make pre-war french armor anything but bad.

Oh yeah, I had completely forgotten about that since I wasn't interested in the tier 10. So AMX 30, Japanese Heavy, then Czech. Cool.

BadLlama posted:

The only lovely tank in that line is the Tier 6 and only because tier 7's and 8's exist. The BP is awesome you will carry teams by taking all the shots that would kill your retards and instead maybe/maybe not bouncing them because BP armor is weird but glorioususeless except against things you could easily kill without it.

The Black Prince is in the running for worst and least fun tank in the game. It has anemic DPM, it's slow as poo poo, and it's armor doesn't actually work on anything you need it to work on. The tier 6-7 British heavies are on par with the low tier French for most painful tanks in the game to play.

The Caern is a decent tank. It's got the characteristic British low DPM, but the fantastic aim time mean you don't have to expose yourself for long to use the damage you have. I have my issues with the Cent turret, but you can get it to work more often than not. It's a fairly comfortable tank to drive.

frood fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 18, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Saint Celestine posted:

What the hell can the Japanese heavy line even be? All they had were lovely tanks in WW2, and by the time their domestic tank industry got up and running, MBTs were the thing.
They had all kinds of plans for wacky superheavy mobile fortress kinda tanks, from what I hear. The fact those things were never built hasn't deterred WG thus far.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Think KV-4s with more guns.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

frood posted:

The Black Prince is in the running for worst and least fun tank in the game. It has anemic DPM, it's slow as poo poo, and it's armor doesn't actually work on anything you need it to work on. The tier 6-7 British heavies are on par with the low tier French for most painful tanks in the game to play.

All I can say is I had a very different experience playing the BP than you but the tier 6 was pretty bad that I free xped it half way through, also the tier 6-7 french heavies were a breeze because the 105mm with premium ammo is OP as hell. Misread the french part but leaving that there so anyone going down french heavies knows to run the 105mm with premium ammo only.

The IS-7 buffs are supposed to come with this patch right? If so I need to save up credits to get that guy.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 18, 2015

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Nordick posted:

They had all kinds of plans for wacky superheavy mobile fortress kinda tanks, from what I hear. The fact those things were never built hasn't deterred WG thus far.

They are probably going to say "gently caress it" and start just adding Gundam tanks.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Nordick posted:

So basically boring as gently caress tanks.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
New Japanese heavy tree leaked!!!!

Can't wait for pubbies to complain about premium beam saber spam.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 18, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
The kawaii super heavy

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Agrajag posted:

So basically boring as gently caress tanks.

Japanese Maus more or less

e: actually more like a Japanese Maus shaped like a Russian T-35

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 18, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Victor Surge posted:

I hued out loud.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Agrajag posted:

The kawaii super heavy

And now I have prostate cancer.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

My main problem with the Caern is that people keep literally pushing me to the front because all heavies are indestructible behemoths. Or they'll shoot me to encourage me, or I shoot them to shut them up.
Tldr: gently caress pubbies

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Victor Surge posted:

00verse, of course, I knew that WG has no taste.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Missing Name posted:

My main problem with the Caern is that people keep literally pushing me to the front because all heavies are indestructible behemoths. Or they'll shoot me to encourage me, or I shoot them to shut them up.
Tldr: gently caress pubbies

The Caern can be hard to play, you don't want to sit in the back in it but you also don't want to go charging in either. You want to find a good mid range location to pop your turret over so you can deal damage and hopefully entice the enemy to wasting shots on you instead of your team. This is generally how I played mine, the biggest draw back of the tank is that without team its very hard to carry in the soft giant hull unless the enemy team is just the right amount of dumb.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nordick posted:

Yes, pretty much this. Think huge (make a Maus look small) and boxy and lots of turrets.

(there was nothing more here, no sir)

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 18, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
How the gently caress are they going to balance something like that?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Enola Gay.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

By giving it 5000 hp. Probably only move like 2-3 kph though. At that point it is just a big target.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Would suffice to give the T92 a tactical nuke. Oh wait, it practically already has one.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Japanese heavy = big tank, thick armor, big gun, high alpha, high pen. It's almost a given that they will give them high alpha and big pen shells since that seems to be the way the power creep is going.

Also note I personally think high alpha shells + high penetration are total bullshit and makes the game more campy. I really should be an either or thing.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 18, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheFluff posted:

Yes, pretty much this. Think huge (make a Maus look small) and boxy and lots of turrets.

(there was nothing more here, no sir)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKItVDjmlk8

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Agrajag posted:

I really should be an either or thing.

Agreed.

Hey does putting Japanese flags on China tanks make anyone mad?

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 19, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Agrajag posted:

Also note I personally think high alpha shells + high penetration are total bullshit and makes the game more campy. I really should be an either or thing.

That's the main reason why Brit heavies suck. They're DPM monsters compared to other heavy lines but the game is more about high alpha and high pen, so unless you know how to make the most out of your armor you're going to lose most 1-on-1 engagements against other t7 heavies since you will die in 3-4 shots while you have to shoot them 10+ times and you don't have that kind of ROF against most tanks.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 19, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Agreed.

Hey does putting Japanese flags on China tanks make anyone mad?

China server is its own thing, and apparently a dystopian pay2win world where everything costs money. Also, gold Type 59s.

EponymousMrYar posted:

That's the main reason why Brit heavies suck. They're DPM monsters compared to other heavy lines but the game is more about high alpha and high pen, so unless you know how to make the most out of your armor you're going to lose most 1-on-1 engagements against other t7 heavies since you will die in 3-4 shots while you have to shoot them 10+ times and you don't have that kind of ROF against most tanks.

The mid tier brit heavies actually have bad dpm, that's the real problem with them.

The 9 and 10 shoot a 120mm gun really loving fast. If you just go wherever your team goes, you can really rack up damage by using pubbies as a distraction. The same principle applies for medium with dpm.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I was thinking of opening up a new medium tank line: A-43 or VK 30.02 M? They're both snipey nimble tanks and those are the kind that appeal to me mostly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

China server is its own thing, and apparently a dystopian pay2win world where everything costs money. Also, gold Type 59s.

I love that thing

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I was thinking of opening up a new medium tank line: A-43 or VK 30.02 M? They're both snipey nimble tanks and those are the kind that appeal to me mostly.

The A-43 is a Cromwell with poo poo depression. The VK3002M is a glorious nazi block tank. They're both fantastic - choose whether you want speed or survivability, and buy that one first.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

The A-43 is more an aggressive brawler where you use its speed to close into people and then out DPM them up close. Its a real fun tank and I recommend getting it even if you don't have an interest in any tanks further on. The VK 30.02M is a tier 6 Panther, it isn't really nimble, but can move in a straight line alright. But its a great platform for the 75 L/70.

Further up the line though, the A-43 leads to the dire A-44, where you trade off a bunch of good points for a goofy as poo poo chassis that can mount the 107mm gun from the heavy line. This gun works when up close, as it takes forever to aim, isn't accurate when it is aimed and has bad gun depression. Also it can get set on fire with a single front shot from a tier 5. The next tank is better, but still has the bad depression and rear turret, but gains TD like camo and a mean gun. No idea on the Obj 430 v2.
The VK line leads to the Panther, which plays like the VK30.02M, but now you get the 75 L/100, which is essentially a rail gun. You don't hit hard, but you hit often and can generally pen anything on the field. The downside is your per shot damage is low and the Panther is a huge target. Still kinda fun though. The Panther 2 is a Panther that has a little more armor, but gets the Tiger's 88 L/71, which is one of the best guns at that tier. Its pretty fun too, but plays similar to the previous tank. The E-50 is a better Panther 2, it has a great gun, and can ram the living poo poo out of things.

Get both eventually.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The mid tier brit heavies actually have bad dpm, that's the real problem with them.

The 9 and 10 shoot a 120mm gun really loving fast. If you just go wherever your team goes, you can really rack up damage by using pubbies as a distraction. The same principle applies for medium with dpm.

In what loving world is like almost a 10 second reload "really really fast"?

The Conqueror sucked rear end because anyone who knew about its poo poo reload and DPM would just bully the poo poo out of you because it didn't have armor worth poo poo.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The Conq's reload isn't any worse than the M103's.

That said it's not "Really fast" either. That would be the Tortoise's jam.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It does have the best DPM of the T9 heavies. Just not by enough of a margin for it to really matter.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Saint Celestine posted:

The Conqueror sucked rear end because anyone who knew about its poo poo reload and DPM would just bully the poo poo out of you because it didn't have armor worth poo poo.

My mistake, I thought the Conq was like the 215B, which does shoot really fast.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

The conq has the best DPM of all the tier 9 heavies. Hell pretty sure it's higher than a lot of tier 9 mediums as well. Not true actually but gently caress it conq owns.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 19, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The A-44 is the worst medium tank in the game for its tier. It's not the worst tank in the game tier for tier - as far as I can tell that's the 4005 - and with the Challenger it might not be the worst t7 but only by a small margin. I'm tempted to put the Challenger above the A-44; the critical thing being that the Challenger can hit things if it can get its slow as poo poo turret pointed at something and it's bloomy as gently caress gun aimed in where the A-44 is unreliable at every range. I've not played the Challenger yet, though; from what I know about it it'll be really close between it and the A-44.

Thanks to its poor gun depression, hilariously awful gun handling, and lovely base accuracy the A-44 cannot brawl, cannot snipe, and can be killed by a particularly brave ELC on flat ground because you can't hit him if he hugs you and doesn't gently caress up. It also has the worst module layout of any tank I've played. A shell can go in through your front road wheel and hit your tracks, engine, fuel tanks, ammunition, driver, and gunner, maybe the loader too. The modules have very low health and it's the only tank where I've been on both the giving and receiving end of a one-shot ammo rack from the same tank multiple times. It's not even a common tank, it just sucks.

It leads to the 416 which is arguably the best t8 TD or unarguably the second or third best medium behind the Pershing. The 430v2 and 430 are no slouches either.

At least the Sturer Emil is no longer the worst t7. WG seriously hates t7s.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Azhais posted:

I love that thing

loving lol, is this coming to NA at any point? I'd pay to drive that regardless of how much negative camo it might apply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

ROFLburger posted:

loving lol, is this coming to NA at any point? I'd pay to drive that regardless of how much negative camo it might apply

It cost about a thousand dollars and they had to disable team damage for it. If I remember right they also disabled collision with teammates so you can't be boxed in.