Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Merdifex posted:

Is this real?

Its not really the whole story.

http://www.rawstory.com/2014/12/disturbing-video-shows-anti-police-brutality-protester-bashing-berkeley-man-in-the-head-with-a-hammer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

ToastyPotato posted:

The phrasing of that post makes me think the poster has a particular opinion on the protests in general. Perhaps it did happen, but if it did, then I am shocked that it managed to never go viral in the past 5 months given how quickly things go viral when a black people are alleged to have done something bad during a protest. I am also surprised that it hasn't been trotted out multiple times since then by closeted racist brigade. Just look at the last protests when things got heated on that Saturday afternoon and fights broke out.

I did get it from a racist. That's what it's being used for. I wonder why, however, people take such images at face value.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Merdifex posted:

I did get it from a racist. That's what it's being used for. I wonder why, however, people take such images at face value.

It fit's their narrative and reaffirms their beliefs. Which means that they aren't "wrong" or "bad people" for having bigoted views. In other words "am I really a racist if black people really do act like savages?! Look, here is a link that proves it!"

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Which part of my post are you saying that to? Btw you seem to have incorrectly nested the quote tags so it looks like my own middle sentence was written by someone else and I'm refuting it or something, are you confused about which opinion I'm espousing?

Jesus chill out I was just surprised about SWAT shooting a 7 year old girl. Some of you people really read way too much into a single word.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Still more proportional than police escalation of force.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

LorrdErnie posted:

Still more proportional than police escalation of force.

I doubt it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cichlid the Loach posted:

This is the thing that gets me, especially in regards to on-duty "justifiable" or "accidental" shootings of innocent people. If, in the course of my job, I made a mistake or had an accident that caused an innocent person to die violently by my hand before my eyes, I don't think I would be able to get out of bed, let alone touch a loving gun ever again, let alone strap one on and return to the same job the puts me in the same kinds of situations again. How can that SWAT guy who shot the 7-year-old girl in the head actually WANT to go back to that job, if it was a true accident and he was not that kind of person?

But I also came to figure, maybe for cops, the us-versus-them thing means their whole support structure essentially is their other buddies on the force. So after a traumatic experience, regardless of whether they'd want to DO the work itself again, that's where they'd feed the need to BE, around their "family," the only other people they perceive as understanding what they've been through.

unless you're a truly exceptional person you'd probably manage to rationalize it and get on with your life (unlike the dead person, hah!).

e: except if you were already depressed but then it's more of a force of habit than anything

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Agrajag posted:

Jesus chill out I was just surprised about SWAT shooting a 7 year old girl. Some of you people really read way too much into a single word.

I don't know about a 7 year old, but they bagged a 1 year old last year.

Anonymous tip leads to no knock SWAT raid in which they throw a flash bang into a toddlers crib.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/07/us/georgia-toddler-stun-grenade-no-indictment/

They are also not paying any medical expenses since, as I understand it, it would be considered a bribe?
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/19/ga-county-refuses-pay-medical-bills-after-toddler-/

Edit: found a second link with less histrionics.

Edit 2:
I assume this is the 7 year old.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Aiyana_Jones

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 17, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Some non-US policing:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-decline-of-hong-kongs-police-1431039925

quote:

Hong Kong’s police once had a reputation as Asia’s finest. But Andy Tsang, who is retiring this week as Commissioner after four years on the job, has diminished his force’s reputation for professionalism and impartiality by doing Beijing’s bidding.

Mr. Tsang’s tenure began in 2011, and one of his first acts was to lock down Hong Kong University to protect visiting Chinese Vice Premier (now Premier) Li Keqiang from having to pass by journalists and protesters, some of whom were briefly detained by police.

Protecting Chinese-government interests over the rights of critics became a theme of Hong Kong policing. Officers appeared often to overlook the harassment, sometimes violent, of Falun Gong adherents, who are nominally free to operate in Hong Kong but are persecuted on the mainland.

Along the barricades last year most frontline officers acted with discipline. But Beijing’s authoritarians are increasingly compromising the integrity and honor of Hong Kong’s governing institutions. New Commissioner Stephen Lo can distinguish himself by refusing to use police as a weapon against government critics.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Every level of "justice" in America is full of wonderful brilliant souls!

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/05/death-penalty-lethal-injections-untrained-doctors

quote:

Historically, lethal injection has been plagued with problems just like those that occurred in Lockett's case, and they are due in large part to the incompetence of the people charged with administering the deadly drugs. Physicians have mostly left the field of capital punishment; the American Medical Association and other professional groups consider it highly unethical for doctors to assist with executions.

By far the most notorious individual in the history of lethal injection, Dr. Alan Doerhoff was the dyslexic surgeon who oversaw 54 executions in Missouri, where he alone was in charge of deciding how to kill people. Doerhoff was the subject of more than 20 malpractice lawsuits during his career, and he was disciplined by the state medical board for concealing lawsuits from a hospital where he worked. Two Missouri hospitals banned him from practicing in their facilities.

The state worked for years to keep Doerhoff's identity secret. But in a legal challenge by a Missouri death row inmate, he was forced to testify and eventually was unmasked. In his testimony he admitted that his disability made it hard for him to properly combine the death drugs, which he sometimes mixed up, and that, on his own, he'd started "improvising" and reducing the amount of anesthesia given to condemned prisoners by half. Unbelievably, the federal government actually used Doerhoff to create the protocols for federal executions and to oversee them.

In 2006, testimony in another federal challenge to lethal injection revealed that the execution team leader at California's San Quentin State Prison had been disciplined for smuggling illegal drugs into the facility before he was put on the team. Another team leader had been diagnosed with and was disabled by post-traumatic stress disorder, a problem hugely amplified by participating in executions.

quote:

As Dr. Jay Chapman, the Oklahoma coroner who essentially created the modern lethal injection protocol, observed in the New York Times in 2007, "It never occurred to me when we set this up that we'd have complete idiots administering the drugs."

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess I didn't think of slapstick as real suffering. Suffering would be something like starvation. In the story of the ants and the grasshopper, when the grasshopper had no food completely by his own doing, did the ants laugh at him? No, they invited him to their table, because they are good Christian ants.

Really? The way I heard this fable, the grasshopper was left in the cold to starve and the moral was presented as "don't be a fuckoff or you'll die horribly".

...now I have to wonder if that's how Evangelical kids hear it, too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Really? The way I heard this fable, the grasshopper was left in the cold to starve and the moral was presented as "don't be a fuckoff or you'll die horribly".

...now I have to wonder if that's how Evangelical kids hear it, too.
Huh, reading about it, I guess there are lots of interpretations of the ants' final behavior, most of which say gently caress the grasshopper.

edit: sometimes a third party, like bees or squirrels, let the grasshopper in.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 17, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Never trust a goddam squirrel.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, reading about it, I guess there are lots of interpretations of the ants' final behavior, most of which say gently caress the grasshopper.

edit: sometimes a third party, like bees or squirrels, let the grasshopper in.

People changing children fables to fit their own agenda? My entire life is a lie. Next thing you are going to tell me is that universal truth is also a fable.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

FRINGE posted:

The state worked for years to keep Doerhoff's identity secret. But in a legal challenge by a Missouri death row inmate, he was forced to testify and eventually was unmasked. In his testimony he admitted that his disability made it hard for him to properly combine the death drugs, which he sometimes mixed up, and that, on his own, he'd started "improvising" and reducing the amount of anesthesia given to condemned prisoners by half. Unbelievably, the federal government actually used Doerhoff to create the protocols for federal executions and to oversee them.

Jesus Christ.
:suicide:

FRINGE posted:

Never trust a goddam squirrel.

Truth.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 18, 2015

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Obama Just Announced a Plan to Restrict Police Use of Military-Style Equipment

quote:

On Monday, the White House announced a plan to set new restrictions on local police departments from obtaining military-style equipment from the federal government. The limitation on military gear is part of an ongoing effort to rebuild trust between community members and law enforcement officials following the unrest seen in Ferguson, particularly the police response to protestors there.

The announcement is in response to a report put forth by a task force created by the president in December to address broken police relations, especially in minority communities. Banned itemsinclude wheeled-armored vehicles, battering rams, grenade launchers, and more.

"We are, without a doubt, sitting at a defining moment in American policing," Ronald Davis, head of the Department of Justice's Office of Community Oriented Policing Services told reporters on Monday. "We have a unique opportunity to redefine policing in our democracy, to ensure that public safety becomes more than the absence of crime, but it must also include a presence for justice."

For a deeper look into how local police departments became so militarized, check out our in-depth report, "The Making of the Warrior Cop," here.

Good news! Hopefully in there is a way to deal with how much military equipment is already out there, but restricting new stuff is better news on police militarization than I have seen in a while.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Good news! Hopefully in there is a way to deal with how much military equipment is already out there, but restricting new stuff is better news on police militarization than I have seen in a while.

Sometimes that's a good way to solve a problem in a way that doesn't rock the boat too much. It would be ideal to just say "anybody that isn't a SWAT team doesn't get to have a loving tank, ever" but good luck getting that through Congress. If memory serves other problems have been solved the same way. Laws to the effect of "you can keep your toys but don't get any new ones." Over time the old ones will fall apart and not get replaced. It isn't ideal but if it actually works it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Granted it truly baffles me how much we're going to hear police being all "well we JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND why nobody likes police anymore!" after this bullshit. "Serve and protect" should be replaced with "hope we don't notice you or decide your skull needs more holes in it" these days.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Why the exception for a "Swat" team? There is literally no need for one. The purpose of "shock and awe" no-knock raids is to secure drug evidence incase the occupants try to destroy it. And to that I say, "so what?" Your precious evidence isn't worth the huge escalation of force against citizens. SWAT teams should be explicitly federally banned and should exist as only an FBI special task force.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

Why the exception for a "Swat" team? There is literally no need for one.

Probably been posted before but http://www.cato.org/raidmap

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Powercrazy posted:

Why the exception for a "Swat" team? There is literally no need for one. The purpose of "shock and awe" no-knock raids is to secure drug evidence incase the occupants try to destroy it. And to that I say, "so what?" Your precious evidence isn't worth the huge escalation of force against citizens. SWAT teams should be explicitly federally banned and should exist as only an FBI special task force.

You do kind of need those special units to exist in the rare case you need them but yes I do agree with you, really. Your average local police force probably doesn't need a SWAT team at all. It just truly baffles me that your average local beat cop is armed like a damned infantryman in a combat zone and has a tank on call if he decides he needs it.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The MoJo article doesn't explain that there's prohibited and restricted categories. Here's the report: https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/le_equipment_wg_final_report_final.pdf

This matters because some things like wheeled armored/tactical vehicles are restricted while some things like tracked ones are prohibited. Other notable prohibited items include camouflage, bayonets, grenade launchers and vehicles capable of mounting a weapon. Restricted means that they need to provide specific situations where they'll use it and to what purpose along with training and documentation of significant incidents where they use the equipment. Any riot gear is restricted, as are pyrotechnics and breaching apparatus.

The prohibited gear is important to be sure, but the restricted list also matters since the police going out of those policy boundaries can result in termination of federal assistance plus further penalties. Any military surplus equipment of a military nature (not office furniture) provided as part of 1033 is property of the Department of Defense and so they lose it, restricted or not. This depends on what the policy boundaries are and how strictly they're enforced but it clearly points out that nonviolent protests aren't a legitimate reason to break out the riot gear. They quote the following policy favorably:

quote:

The University of Texas System Police (UTSP) has a policy on Emergency Rescue Armored Personnel Vehicle (MRAP), which specifies that the “exclusive operational purpose” of the MRAP is to enhance the physical protection of its occupants. Accordingly, the policy requires that any MRAP vehicle display the words “Emergency Rescue,” so that its purpose is clear to the community. Further, unless the Police Director expressly authorizes use of the MRAP in response to other specified emergency circumstances (e.g., an active shooter), the UTSP policy explicitly prohibits the use of MRAP vehicles in response to “exercises of the First Amendment right to free speech” or as a part of “any public demonstration or display of police resources.” The USTP policy also requires the police academy to develop training consistent with the vehicle’s mission for officers who are most likely to utilize the vehicle, with such training including, at a minimum, “engagement and deployment with this vehicle as well as use of the vehicle to successfully and safely rescue those requiring evacuation.”

It's interesting stuff all around.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Other notable prohibited items include camouflage
Going a step beyond that: I have thought for a long time that officers on-duty and in-uniform should be visually obvious so that the public can call on them when needed. Stealth cars and tacticooled-up MiB intimidation uniforms are not doing the public any good. Being able to sneak up on people to raise revenue should not be a major design purpose in public safety vehicles.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powercrazy posted:

That's an interesting argument, usually people say we should largely disarm the regular cops and leave the firearms to special teams for things like violent bank robbers packing body armor (which is absolutely a very rare circumstance). If we make it so that regular cops don't get rifles and there's no SWAT, should there be a point of escalation between street cops and calling out the National Guard?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

1337JiveTurkey posted:

The MoJo article doesn't explain that there's prohibited and restricted categories. Here's the report: https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/le_equipment_wg_final_report_final.pdf

This matters because some things like wheeled armored/tactical vehicles are restricted while some things like tracked ones are prohibited. Other notable prohibited items include camouflage, bayonets, grenade launchers and vehicles capable of mounting a weapon. Restricted means that they need to provide specific situations where they'll use it and to what purpose along with training and documentation of significant incidents where they use the equipment. Any riot gear is restricted, as are pyrotechnics and breaching apparatus.

Thanks for that, I was a bit puzzled when I saw battering rams on the list, as those are in common police use worldwide.

A couple of things that caught my eye:

quote:

RECOMMENDATION 2.3 — AFTER‐ACTION REVIEW:    (1) LEAs must collect and retain
“Required Information” (described below) when law enforcement activity that involves a
“Significant Incident” requires, or results in, the use of any Federally‐acquired controlled
equipment in the LEA’s inventory (or any other controlled equipment in the same category
as the Federally‐acquired controlled equipment).  (2) When unlawful or inappropriate police
actions are alleged and trigger a Federal compliance review, and the Federal agency
determinesthat controlled or prohibited equipment was used in the law enforcement activity
under review, the LEA must produce or generate a report(s) containing Required Information.
 “Significant Incident” Defined:  Any law enforcement operation or action that involves
(a) a violent encounter among civilians or between civilians and the police; (b) a use‐of‐
force that causes death or serious bodily injury28; (c) a demonstration or other public
exercise of First Amendment rights; or (d) an event that draws, or could be reasonably
expected to draw, a large number of attendees or participants, such as those where
advanced planning is needed.
 “Required Information” to Be Collected and Retained:  (a) Identification of controlled
equipment used (e.g., categories and number of units of controlled equipment used,
make/model/serial number); (b) description of the law enforcement operation involving
the controlled equipment; (c) identification of LEA personnel who used the equipment
and, if possible, civilians involved in the incident; and (d) result of controlled equipment
use (e.g., arrests, use‐of‐force, victim extraction, injuries).   

Required record keeping seems to be pretty important. Getting caught in a lie also screws the department over and opens it up for punishment.

Another point of interest:

quote:

For Programmatic Violations.    For violations of any programmatic term or condition
related to controlled equipment (e.g., failure to adopt required protocols, unauthorized
transfers), the LEA will be suspended from acquiring additional controlled equipment
through Federal programs for a minimum of 60 days.  The suspension will continue until
the Federal agency determines that the violation has been corrected.    This does not
prohibit a Federal agency from imposing other applicable sanctions according to
applicable program parameters.
 Statutory Violations.  For alleged violations of law, including civil rights laws, the matter
will be referred for investigation to the Federal agency’s Office of Civil Rights (OCR) or
other appropriate compliance office, or the U.S. Department of Justice.    If the
investigation results in a finding that the LEA violated a civil rights or other relevant
statute, the LEA will be sanctioned according to statute and/or the Federal agency’s
governing rules and policies.  At a minimum, the LEA will be suspended from acquiring
additional controlled equipment through Federal programs for a minimum of 60 days.  
The suspension will last until the Federal agency determines that the violation has been
corrected.

Summed up - you can have your supply lines choked off for loving up. gently caress up handling protests? If you run out of riot gear you'll have to contact other departments or the national guard. Same with helicopters, MRAPS, and whatever other masturbatory aids you need to fight a drug dealer with a switchblade.

The big problem here is that it doesn't deal with equipment currently in use, and it doesn't give the feds authority to confiscate gear that's being misused, although that might be covered by existing legislation.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

FRINGE posted:

Going a step beyond that: I have thought for a long time that officers on-duty and in-uniform should be visually obvious so that the public can call on them when needed. Stealth cars and tacticooled-up MiB intimidation uniforms are not doing the public any good. Being able to sneak up on people to raise revenue should not be a major design purpose in public safety vehicles.

Lol plz draw some goddamn lines.

Unmarked patrol cars exist for the fact that they have more resale value, are more nicer to give take-a-homes as, work for non-emergency functions very well, etc etc while still being usable in routine patrol work.

If this is based on the goddamn meme picture of european vs US police, I got som bad news for you. Many European cities have a good portion of their routine patrol officers in plain clothes and unmarked cars.
It's not some goddamn sneaky beaky thing, it just is more versatile for many tasks.

Many people also are more willing to talk to officers in plainclothes.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Murderion posted:

Thanks for that, I was a bit puzzled when I saw battering rams on the list, as those are in common police use worldwide.

They probably mean the Battering rams that are on vehicles, I think the hand held one have a different name.

quote:

Summed up - you can have your supply lines choked off for loving up. gently caress up handling protests? If you run out of riot gear you'll have to contact other departments or the national guard. Same with helicopters, MRAPS, and whatever other masturbatory aids you need to fight a drug dealer with a switchblade.

Helicopters have actual practical uses, and I'd hate to see those get banned. They're pretty invaluable for search and rescue. At least the little ones we have now, if they get an apachee or start sniping suspects from inside the copter, that would be different.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also helicopters themselves are pretty benign in terms of their usage, as they're unarmed and just serve as a way to keep an eye on things from above. They may look intimidating, but contrary to Hollywood and Grand Theft Auto there's not actually guys firing assault rifles down into a car chase from them.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Anora posted:

Helicopters have actual practical uses, and I'd hate to see those get banned. They're pretty invaluable for search and rescue. At least the little ones we have now, if they get an apachee or start sniping suspects from inside the copter, that would be different.

The supply is based on utility to the department, so there's very little chance a request for a police copter would be turned down. There's almost no chance it would be taken away, and if a department needs one while under suspension there ought to be a few arrangements made.

It does mean you'll have to get your application for The Rook in before October 1st, though. Order early to avoid disappointment!

Red Hawk
May 13, 2015

Vahakyla posted:

Unmarked patrol cars exist for the fact that they have more resale value, are more nicer to give take-a-homes as, work for non-emergency functions very well, etc etc while still being usable in routine patrol work.

If this is based on the goddamn meme picture of european vs US police, I got som bad news for you. Many European cities have a good portion of their routine patrol officers in plain clothes and unmarked cars.
It's not some goddamn sneaky beaky thing, it just is more versatile for many tasks.

Here, in Ireland, unmarked police vehicles are equipped with more equipment than marked ones.

A basic cop car would have radios and a siren. Thats about it. Unmarked cars hav: ANPR (Automatic number plate recognition), generally a faster vehicle than marked vehicles, - which is usually a ford mondeo - and often used by the crime prevention units because of how harder it is to spot.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

Also helicopters themselves are pretty benign in terms of their usage, as they're unarmed and just serve as a way to keep an eye on things from above. They may look intimidating, but contrary to Hollywood and Grand Theft Auto there's not actually guys firing assault rifles down into a car chase from them.

I won't dispute that helos are useful, but communities which see a lot of ghetto birds overhead do not tend to like them. They are noisy and annoying, they can serve as a constant reminder that the community is unsafe, as well as being intimidating and creating a weird distinction between the observers above and the observed below.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

JeffersonClay posted:

intimidating and creating a weird distinction between the observers above and the observed below.

Hey now thats kind of a reach...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0

How will we ever get a nice safe enveloping panoptican skynet with a negative-nancy attitude like that?

Besides soon the cops will have a "need" for the super silent ones that can blanket everywhere:

http://phys.org/news/2015-05-cicadas-military-swarm-mini-drones.html

quote:

'Cicadas': US military's new swarm of mini-drones

US military scientists have invented a miniature drone that fits in the palm of a hand, ready to be dropped from the sky like a mobile phone with wings.

The "micro air vehicle" is named after the insect that inspired its invention, the Cicada, which spends years underground before appearing in great swarms, reproducing and then dropping to the ground dead.

"The idea was why can't we make UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) that have the same sort of profile," Aaron Kahn of the Naval Research Laboratory told AFP.

"We will put so many out there, it will be impossible for the enemy to pick them all up."

The "Cicada", short for Covert Autonomous Disposable Aircraft, was designed to be smaller, cheaper and simpler than any other robotic aircraft—but still able to carry out a mission in a remote battlefield.

The prototype cost just a thousand dollars, and the cost could come down to as little as $250 apiece, said Kahn, a flight controls engineer at the naval lab.

With no motor and only about 10 parts, the Cicada resembles a paper airplane with a circuit board.

It is designed to glide to programmed GPS coordinates after being dropped from an aircraft, a balloon or a larger drone, researchers said.

In a test about three years ago in Yuma, Arizona, Cicada drones were released from 57,600 feet (17,500 meters). The little drone flew—or fell—11 miles, landing within 15 feet of its target.

The Cicada drone can fly at about 46 miles (74 kilometers) per hour and are virtually silent, with no engine or propulsion system.

In the flight test, the Cicada had sensors that could send back weather readings for temperature, air pressure and humidity.

But researchers said the mini-drones could be used for a myriad of missions, and outfitted with a range of light-weight sensors, including microphones.

"They are robotic carrier pigeons. You tell them where to go, and they will go there," Edwards said.

Although the drones have yet to be deployed, the first use may come outside the battlefield, for weather forecasters.

Meteorologists trying to predict tornadoes have to rely on temperature readings from the ground. But the Cicada drone offers the prospect of numerous temperature readings from the air, providing enough data to build a truly three-dimensional model for forecasting tornadoes.

And despite their toy-like appearance, the Cicada drones are surprisingly robust, Edwards said.

"You can thrown them out of a Cessna or a C-130," he said.

"They've flown through trees. They've hit asphalt runways. They have tumbled in gravel. They've had sand in them. They only thing that we found that killed them was desert shrubbery," he said.

They are being billed as "things to track weather patterns with", which means they will eventually be silent mini-bomb-bearing assassins I guess.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JeffersonClay posted:

I won't dispute that helos are useful, but communities which see a lot of ghetto birds overhead do not tend to like them. They are noisy and annoying, they can serve as a constant reminder that the community is unsafe, as well as being intimidating and creating a weird distinction between the observers above and the observed below.

They're also typically cautious and/or scared of police cars and uniformed officers. It's not the helicopter's very existence in the arsenal, but how it's used.

On the other hand, APCs and mounted machine gun turrets have extraordinarily few purposes for modern policing and almost exclusively serve as a means of intimidation and/or letting the cops feel like badass commandos.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's an interesting argument, usually people say we should largely disarm the regular cops and leave the firearms to special teams for things like violent bank robbers packing body armor (which is absolutely a very rare circumstance). If we make it so that regular cops don't get rifles and there's no SWAT, should there be a point of escalation between street cops and calling out the National Guard?

Literally never going to happen and even if it did it would take all of one repeat of something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout for them to get it all back. Keep in mind that countries where police are relatively unarmed access to heavy weapons is extremely difficult and rare.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

tsa posted:

Literally never going to happen and even if it did it would take all of one repeat of something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout for them to get it all back. Keep in mind that countries where police are relatively unarmed access to heavy weapons is extremely difficult and rare.
"Something happened once so we must kill everyone forever" is part of the problem mindset.

Not to mention the cop-ego fixation with "beating bank robbers". They could have just let them drive off and followed them indefinitely, using less money and without creating the loving enormous public hazard of a literal cops-and-robbers shootout in a public street.

It wasnt a movie. (*GASP*) They werent going to dispear into an alternate dimension with the secret space-fuel they took from the mad scientists safety deposit box. They were going to get into a truck and drive away.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

They're also typically cautious and/or scared of police cars and uniformed officers. It's not the helicopter's very existence in the arsenal, but how it's used.

On the other hand, APCs and mounted machine gun turrets have extraordinarily few purposes for modern policing and almost exclusively serve as a means of intimidation and/or letting the cops feel like badass commandos.

Consider a community policing model where officers work to establish human relationships with people in the communities they police. Police in a squad car can be identified -- oh that's officer so and so. They can wave. They can stop the car and have a conversation. Police in helicopters can't do any of that -- they can yell at people with a bullhorn. I don't think occasionally seeing a police helicopter would undermine that community policing mission, but if you regularly see police helicopters above your community I could see that being an impediment to building relationships between communities and police. And they're still loud, annoying, and signal communities that some danger is on the loose among them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FRINGE posted:

"Something happened once so we must kill everyone forever" is part of the problem mindset.

Not to mention the cop-ego fixation with "beating bank robbers". They could have just let them drive off and followed them indefinitely, using less money and without creating the loving enormous public hazard of a literal cops-and-robbers shootout in a public street.

It wasnt a movie. (*GASP*) They werent going to dispear into an alternate dimension with the secret space-fuel they took from the mad scientists safety deposit box. They were going to get into a truck and drive away.

Shotguns and rifles are meant to be carried in trunks or racks, often out of reach of the officers unless they're necessary for an escalated situation. Heavier weapons are part of European policing as well, but they often prefer submachine guns. In a situation where firearms are necessary, rifles and shotguns are actually far superior to handguns: they provide improved power and range and are much easier to learn to use effectively than handguns.

The problems with longarms being used excessively is doctrinal rather than the mere existence of the equipment somehow being evil or bad.

On the subject of North Hollywood, the robbers both immediately began firing assault rifles with drum magazines at everything they saw and the officers on the scene actually initially demanded that they drop their weapons rather than firing; they actually walked back inside the bank after seeing the officers surrounding them and then came out shooting (even firing on a news helicopter at one point). You're talking about a "public hazard" being the officers bothering to try and stop people who are randomly firing automatic weapons in public, as opposed to letting them shoot everything they wanted and driving away. Despite your completely balls-stupid claim that somehow it was the officers' fault that a shootout took place (as opposed to, you know, the two bank robbers who showed up with illegally full auto converted rifles and body armor who were the first ones to begin shooting), there was actually not a single death from the North Hollywood Shootout except for the two robbers.

If you're going to pick a hill to die on when talking about police reform, "North Hollywood was the fault of the police for not peacefully letting the machine gun-spraying bank robbers leave and then just following them until they surrendered" is not the best one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

Consider a community policing model where officers work to establish human relationships with people in the communities they police. Police in a squad car can be identified -- oh that's officer so and so. They can wave. They can stop the car and have a conversation. Police in helicopters can't do any of that -- they can yell at people with a bullhorn. I don't think occasionally seeing a police helicopter would undermine that community policing mission, but if you regularly see police helicopters above your community I could see that being an impediment to building relationships between communities and police. And they're still loud, annoying, and signal communities that some danger is on the loose among them.

You know most police helicopters spend most of their time as medevac right?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
My experience is with the LAPD and that's not at all their primary mission, AFAIK.

http://www.lapdonline.org/air_support_division/content_basic_view/1437

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vahakyla posted:

In a lot of American areas there are places where the police literally use being sneaky and nabbing people for fines as a way to fund the department. I'm serious. Where I'm originally from there is a stretch of highway where the speed limit is set artificially low. The local department has black uniforms and paints their cars black and sit around that particular stretch of highway at night just waiting for people to speed. If they don't get enough people for traffic violations they'll literally just make poo poo up. I know people that have been given tickets for doing things that were literally physically impossible. Some nearby departments have also been doing similar things. There's a department that is almost entirely funded by fines that came from a particular hill. It's a bit of a big, steep one so people (not being idiots) would try to get a bit of speed going before driving up it. The speed limit of the road leading to the hill was dropped and the police hide there all day, every day to nab people speeding up to handle the hill.

It very seriously is often all about revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
And this is 90% of American unmarked patrol car see use?

I am aware of fines for revenue, but you can't just use such insanely broad brush. "Let's just forbid unmarked cars, there is this small town..."

• Locked thread