Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

That makes for a pretty good Nigel, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

That was another one, was just thinking more so Harry on the page but gently caress the Beaker Culture coming over here, teaching us about bowls and jugs :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HMhWB95ldQ

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Seriously the Telegraph can gently caress off.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Prince Charles's 'black spider memos' – A cache of secret memos between Prince Charles and senior government ministers has been released after a 10-year legal battle"

Telegraph:

Union bosses demand next Labour leader be more left-wing than Ed Miliband

Independent:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Unions understand the basic principles of mechanical leverage better than moderate Tories or political cartoonists. AGC.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hey America hasn't had strikes since the 1980s look how good we're doing.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

It's like I'm looking at a genuine American political cartoon! Wow!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

As soon as there's only one person on the left side instead of four contenders, they're going to need to be more on the left than they are at the moment, especially as they all seem to have been drawn slightly smaller than Cameron for some reason.

Alternatively, being further on the left, it'll take a smaller amount of effort by Labour to move Cameron downwards. Or, if they all move to the left then Cameron might start sliding down leftwards himself, or even fall off.

Or maybe this whole flimsy see-saw system will fall apart, as it doesn't look like it's very well connected to that fulcrum there, and we can rebuild things into a system that doesn't require endless positioning with regards to some imaginary centre ground.

This Good Cartoon has so many layers to it. Well done.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Angepain posted:

As soon as there's only one person on the left side instead of four contenders, they're going to need to be more on the left than they are at the moment, especially as they all seem to have been drawn slightly smaller than Cameron for some reason.

If you can't wrap your head around the logic of drawing important figures bigger than unimportant ones then maybe cartoons just aren't for you.

The Vince Cable memorial role of Business Secretary.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Squishy posted:

If you can't wrap your head around the logic of drawing important figures bigger than unimportant ones then maybe cartoons just aren't for you.
I agree. The unions are more important than Mr Cameron.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Angepain posted:

They are all sitting on the see-saw so that they can only move forward and backward. The only person who has a "left" option in that image is the union guy.

You could even say that his (trade union) left is not that of the (Telegraph) reader. SO MANY LEVELS.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on George Osborne's 'northern powerhouse' – The chancellor has fleshed out his vision for a prosperous north and is urging cities to agree to installation of elected mayors for devolution deal" After LS Lowry.

Telegraph:

UKIP rocked by Nigel Farage leadership row; The Simpsons actor Harry Shearer to leave the show

Independent:

Yesterday's Times:

Kevin Pietersen: Andrew Strauss cites 'trust issue' for England exile

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... Charles's black spider letters

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Cameron and Sturgeon's meeting to discuss Scotland – Prime minister confirms he will consider additional proposals to strengthen tax and welfare powers after talks with first minister"

Telegraph:

Chuka Umunna withdraws Labour leader bid; UKIP's Nigel Farage should take a break - Douglas Carswell

Independent:

After Francis Barraud.

Times:

After Dorι.

Mail:
Mac on... Prince Charles's 'black spider memos'

Stephen Collins:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That Brookes is a really lazy cut and paste. At least he changed the faces a bit, I suppose.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

:lol: Blowfish Farage.

I do like how the rats are festering apon a deflated ed miliband.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

After Low

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Heads on the block under the new Tory regime - Chris Riddell on where the Conservative axe will fall"

Sunday Telegraph:

Chelsea Flower Show this week.

Independent on Sunday:

Nigel Farage 'should take holiday but stay on as UKIP leader'

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"Heads on the block under the new Tory regime - Chris Riddell on where the Conservative axe will fall"

This is really good apart from the labelitis

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

There is nothing wrong with those labels.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Torie Conservette is quite a looker, I've got to say. It's hard to see her as a villain.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I feel like Riddell is very much an old-school cartoonist, he's doing it consciously as a stylistic thing like old 18th or 19th century cartoons used to be. At least he's not as reliant on them as he used to be.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah that art style is straight out of the 1850's, I love it.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

The only unnecessary label is arguably the "Blue Collar Tory Party" one although even then I don't think it qualifies as labelitis. Really good cartoon.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Paladinus posted:

Torie Conservette is quite a looker, I've got to say. It's hard to see her as a villain.

Hey, Marie Antoinette wasn't bad looking

J_RBG posted:

I feel like Riddell is very much an old-school cartoonist, he's doing it consciously as a stylistic thing like old 18th or 19th century cartoons used to be. At least he's not as reliant on them as he used to be.

I've seen a cartoonist in the times some time ago who was even more explicit with it, with 250 word speech bubbles and captions and 19th century spelling and capitalisations. Did the cabinet of the time in wigs and cravats as well, with the same linework and art style you'd see in Punch complaining about Napoleon and his bonny part. Anyone know who/what I mean?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Prince Harry – Prince Harry has said he dreads to think where he would be now if he had not joined the army, saying it kept him out of trouble"

Telegraph:

Unite warns Labour to be 'voice' of the workers

Independent:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Hey, Marie Antoinette wasn't bad looking

Yes. But it's a cartoon and one would expect some exaggeration. Not only she looks conventionally attractive, she's not exactly a Maleficent. Riddell managed to show condemned issues (and SNPoodle) as scared and disgruntled in a comically exaggerated way, so it's strange to see the villain as a lady with a neutral expression, especially considering that old-timey style. He should have definitely made her look more obviously evil in my opinion, but otherwise it's a feast for the eyes.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I don't really understand the terrified and chained SNPoodle- is the media coverage of the SNP's MPs so different in England? Up here all we're hearing about is them clapping in the Commons after being told not to, posing for a photo in the place where the PM stands, and Mhairi Black being caught with a chip supper.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

He's got the SNP as Tory poodles again, like he did in the other cartoon when Cameron was holding them on a leash. I still don't understand what he's getting at. An outright Tory majority means the SNP might not have much influence, but they're not secretly being controlled by the Tories. It's odd.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

I don't really understand the terrified and chained SNPoodle- is the media coverage of the SNP's MPs so different in England? Up here all we're hearing about is them clapping in the Commons after being told not to, posing for a photo in the place where the PM stands, and Mhairi Black being caught with a chip supper.

In a surprising move, columns written by SNP MPs and blogs written by ardent nationalists tend to describe how great SNP MPs are and how terrifically funny their jokes are.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Zephro posted:

He's got the SNP as Tory poodles again, like he did in the other cartoon when Cameron was holding them on a leash. I still don't understand what he's getting at. An outright Tory majority means the SNP might not have much influence, but they're not secretly being controlled by the Tories. It's odd.

Well the Tories were able to use scaremongering about the SNP to drive voters away from labour, and without that they probably wouldn't have won, at least not outright. So I think he's going more for a 'useful idiot' angle about the election

Who's that in the guillotine basket? I see a farage clown, and I think Clegg... is that Miliband or Leanne Wood on the right? :ohdear:

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Niric posted:

In a surprising move, columns written by SNP MPs and blogs written by ardent nationalists tend to describe how great SNP MPs are and how terrifically funny their jokes are.

So enlighten us then; what has the SNP in Westminster done that's so horrid?

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
They tried to move Dennis Skinner and Gerald Kaufman out of their seats which is just bad manners IMO.

Don't get me started on the goony looking MP with the ponytail...

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Labour's leadership race – Headlines screaming that evil union bosses are holding the Labour party to ransom can be put down to terrible rightwing media"

Telegraph:

David Cameron renews NHS funding pledges

Independent:

After The Cartoons.

Yesterday's Times:

Times:

After Gerry Anderson.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

A fitting tribute to classic Mac.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

KazigluBey posted:

From what I heard they'd all but guaranteed the repeal of the fox hunting ban in England by refusing to vote on a matter that doesn't affect them. By yesterday they'd made noises suggesting they'd go back on that, but it's a bad sign for England and Wales if they stay out of topics that are devolved in Scotland.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Guavanaut posted:

A fitting tribute to classic Mac.

We've just had a foreign nurse with bogus papers murder two patients and poison 19 others , so Mac is dead on the money. A Good Cartoon.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

KazigluBey posted:

That comment was a joke about coohoolin's limited range of media consumption, not the SNP in Westminster.
What's really horrid about the SNP isn't the party, who are by and large decent, it's the way so many their supporters are fanatical devotees who treat a political party like an unquestionable tribal allegiance.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

kapparomeo posted:

We've just had a foreign nurse with bogus papers murder two patients and poison 19 others , so Mac is dead on the money. A Good Cartoon.

Things in common with what you said and what's in that cartoon: 'foreign'

A good cartoon for the target audience then!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Niric posted:

That comment was a joke about coohoolin's limited range of media consumption, not the SNP in Westminster.
What's really horrid about the SNP isn't the party, who are by and large decent, it's the way so many their supporters are fanatical devotees who treat a political party like an unquestionable tribal allegiance.

This is true, but it's worth not exaggerating their number or their importance.

Coohoolin posted:

OK, this annoys me too much. You can't have a chip supper. If you go to a chippy and ask for a chip supper you're asking for chips with a side of chips

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

OK, this annoys me too much. You can't have a chip supper. If you go to a chippy and ask for a chip supper you're asking for chips with a side of chips
And the chips are battered and deep fried in more chips. :scotland:

• Locked thread