Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yeah, CDPR hosed over GMG in favor of GOG, not sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So for reals, what is the PS4 version comparable to graphically on the PC? My setup is fine to run it medium to high according to the Witcher 3 benchmarks, but I don't know at what FPS.

My specs are i7-3820
GTX 760 4GB
16 GB of Ram

My GPU looks like its well below recommended specs though. Will this cause a child to die of cancer?

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

VanillaGorilla posted:

Man I bet Obama did a Witcher 1 playthrough with a FAQ to make sure he didn't miss any sex cards.

No need, Biden has all their locations memorized.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Levantine posted:

So for reals, what is the PS4 version comparable to graphically on the PC? My setup is fine to run it medium to high according to the Witcher 3 benchmarks, but I don't know at what FPS.

My specs are i7-3820
GTX 760 4GB
16 GB of Ram

My GPU looks like its well below recommended specs though. Will this cause a child to die of cancer?

The PS4's equivalent to a 750Ti with netbook CPUs... it should run better on your PC unless CDPR really hosed things up

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Inverness posted:

What does "poopsocking" mean in this context?

I simply meant I'm rushing through it so I can have my save in time for launch instead of just enjoying it like a normal person. But yeah Lord Lambeth has the proper definition.

Also has it been confirmed that items aren't going to be transferred over? Just wondering because if so I won't even bother with all the nifty crafting you can do in Act 3.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I work near the developer that made Umbra which I guess is an engine that Witcher 3 uses or something? Anyways they've had a really great looking Witcher 3 screenshot poster right in their entryway that probably has even better looking graphics than some of the early marketing. There is clearly some secret conspiracy to keep the best looking Witcher 3 from us and only in the hands of the In-Club developers. I can give you feral goons the address if you want to go ransack the place and steal their super copies of Witcher 3.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Robutt posted:

I simply meant I'm rushing through it so I can have my save in time for launch instead of just enjoying it like a normal person. But yeah Lord Lambeth has the proper definition.

Also has it been confirmed that items aren't going to be transferred over? Just wondering because if so I won't even bother with all the nifty crafting you can do in Act 3.

Yeah nothing carries over itemwise, as far as we know.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Levantine posted:

My specs are i7-3820
GTX 760 4GB
16 GB of Ram

As far as I know, the only places with the day 1 patch for pc are CDPR (who aren't talking) and a german website which claims that the day 1 patch enables a bunch of ultra effects which were missing on the earlier pc builds. And possibly nvidia, but they just used their version to benchmark different settings on a titan-x sli system because they could. PS4 will probably be a mix of medium and high at 30fps max, but it's really hard to know for sure until the usual spergs sites get their hands on the released PC version to compare it.

Edit: Your processor and video card are both better than the ones in the PS4, so if you can't at least match the PS4's performance then CDPR really messed up.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
Hey guys. Will my PS4 be able to run The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt? I've read about all the graphical downgrades this game received but I was wondering if the PS4 could run it smoothly. Thanks.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

g-c posted:

Hey guys. Will my PS4 be able to run The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt? I've read about all the graphical downgrades this game received but I was wondering if the PS4 could run it smoothly. Thanks.

Apparently, it chugs right now... hopefully the day-2 patch will fix things.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
By the way, that card game crash is the only technical problem I've run into at all, and it seems like it will be a non-issue at launch.

I've been critical of the series' combat but aside from my relatively minor quibbles with that aspect of Witcher 3 this already feels like a special game. There's something unique about the flow between this particular brand of open world design and classic Witcher conversations with grubby weirdos and liars.

Previews had me expecting meaningful discoveries between large areas that were relatively sparse but visually interesting. That's exactly what this game is delivering so far. You have just enough down time in quiet fields and forests to make it feel like a big adventure. It's the sort of game where you often find yourself walking even though you could ride a horse, and walking slowly even though you could run. Also, diving into the water in an interesting-looking but unmarked spot netted me a sunken treasure chest full of goodies.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

By the way, that card game crash is the only technical problem I've run into at all, and it seems like it will be a non-issue at launch.

I've been critical of the series' combat but aside from my relatively minor quibbles with that aspect of Witcher 3 this already feels like a special game. There's something unique about the flow between this particular brand of open world design and classic Witcher conversations with grubby weirdos and liars.

Previews had me expecting meaningful discoveries between large areas that were relatively sparse but visually interesting. That's exactly what this game is delivering so far. You have just enough down time in quiet fields and forests to make it feel like a big adventure. It's the sort of game where you often find yourself walking even though you could ride a horse, and walking slowly even though you could run. Also, diving into the water in an interesting-looking but unmarked spot netted me a sunken treasure chest full of goodies.

How is the balance between builds? Is focusing on Signs viable?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

This is good to hear. I was worried this game would fall into the same problem as other open-world games where the minute you step off the path you're fighting monsters.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

black.lion posted:

I'm in light green territory for my GPU, whats the stated dif between dark and light green squares? TIA for translating I hope you get a job at the UN you're very talented

40+ fps @ 1080p, medium settings. I also read somewhere that 2 GB of VRAM is enough for the best looking textures, but you might run into texture streaming issues when riding at high speeds.

thebardyspoon posted:

If all of my things are green then that's probably good to at least play this game better than the console version right?

From everything that the German sites have been saying, the PC version on ultra looks markedly better than the PS4 versions.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

g0del posted:

CDPR refused to sell any keys to GMG, so GMG is reselling keys they had to buy somewhere else. It's possible that they might not actually have any keys to give out yet.

Well. gently caress. I hope I eventually get one, as being in Australia it was stupid not to take advantage of the deals offered. $124 -> $54

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Reason posted:

I work near the developer that made Umbra which I guess is an engine that Witcher 3 uses or something? Anyways they've had a really great looking Witcher 3 screenshot poster right in their entryway that probably has even better looking graphics than some of the early marketing. There is clearly some secret conspiracy to keep the best looking Witcher 3 from us and only in the hands of the In-Club developers. I can give you feral goons the address if you want to go ransack the place and steal their super copies of Witcher 3.

well we'd really like that address but the real question here is will CDPR let you take a break from your cheerleader job

I hear they can be pretty strict

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kawabata posted:

well we'd really like that address but the real question here is will CDPR let you take a break from your cheerleader job

I hear they can be pretty strict

I actually have today and tomorrow off! I'm surprised that Steam says that I can play the game in 4 hours. Are they lying?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

black.lion posted:

I'm in light green territory for my GPU, whats the stated dif between dark and light green squares? TIA for translating I hope you get a job at the UN you're very talented

Red / Gray: Time to upgrade.
Yellow: 1920x1080, Graphics Quality: Low Post Processing: Low
Light Green: 1920x1080, Graphics Quality: Medium Post Processing: Medium
Dark Green: 1920x1080, Graphics Quality: High, Post-Processing: High Hairworks Off

You need a GTX 780 TI / R9 290 or better for Ultra.

These settings are supposed to get you 40+ fps, if you get different ratings for your components, the weaker component will bottleneck you.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Reason posted:

I actually have today and tomorrow off! I'm surprised that Steam says that I can play the game in 4 hours. Are they lying?

gog.com also says 4 hours so seems about right.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Reason posted:

:)

I am unironically excited about the game though. And annoyed in equal measure at CDPR, a developer that I consider a shining beacon of integrity with their no DRM, no bullshit DLC's/preorders philosophy.

I guess poo poo just needs to sell is all.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Why isn't anybody angry about this? Shouldn't you be more angry over this rather than graphics your Intel HD 4000 can't render?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

GrossMurpel posted:

How is the balance between builds? Is focusing on Signs viable?

Can't comment on builds since I've only put in around three or four hours so far and leveling is slow, which I like. From the outset each sign feels useful. You're able to get off a few casts as well, and the regen feels faster than in the last game.

There are some skills that directly impact signs, though, and a medium armor specialty skill that makes all signs more powerful while increasing your regen rate. Usually I focus on melee in these sorts of games but I'm thinking about going deep down the magic and bombs route.

1stGear posted:

This is good to hear. I was worried this game would fall into the same problem as other open-world games where the minute you step off the path you're fighting monsters.
Yeah, so far each encounter is spaced out and placed in a location that feels somewhat logical. I was riding a horse along a road for a bit and caught sight of some enemies on the mini map which made me hit the brakes. Usually I run past enemies but here I want to investigate and see if they're guarding something.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Steam says I can play the game in 3 hours are they lying?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

beer_war posted:

You need a GTX 780 TI / R9 290 or better for Ultra.

The important question: will my (needing a clean badly) 780Ti be able to use hairworks.

cheesetriangles posted:

Steam says I can play the game in 3 hours are they lying?

It is in 3 hours (and 50 minutes). No, they are not. An accurate countdown (for gog imploding) is here http://www.gog.com/

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
^^^Probably not.

Yaos posted:

Why isn't anybody angry about this?

It's not DRM, you're downloading the .exe + whatever other files are missing. It's to prevent leaks and won't be required in later releases.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

:siren: If you haven't redeemed your two GoG vouchers for the games that you got from preordering, do so soon! Mine expire on May 27th and yours might too. :siren:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Apparently the game's being torrented already.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

cant wait to trade in Inquisition and Mordor for dis even though I'll probably have to wait a week to actually have time to play dis

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yaos posted:

Why isn't anybody angry about this? Shouldn't you be more angry over this rather than graphics your Intel HD 4000 can't render?

Why do I need an internet connection to download a game? What loving bullshit.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, it's to keep people from just, like, setting their system clock ahead to make the game open up or something.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Can't comment on builds since I've only put in around three or four hours so far and leveling is slow, which I like. From the outset each sign feels useful. You're able to get off a few casts as well, and the regen feels faster than in the last game.

There are some skills that directly impact signs, though, and a medium armor specialty skill that makes all signs more powerful while increasing your regen rate. Usually I focus on melee in these sorts of games but I'm thinking about going deep down the magic and bombs route.

Yeah, so far each encounter is spaced out and placed in a location that feels somewhat logical. I was riding a horse along a road for a bit and caught sight of some enemies on the mini map which made me hit the brakes. Usually I run past enemies but here I want to investigate and see if they're guarding something.

Faster regens means better spamming, especially with those +regen skills.
I like it.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

I said come in! posted:

Why do I need an internet connection to download a game? What loving bullshit.

There's a physical release. If you buy it tomorrow you'll still need to connect to the Internet or the game won't work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Apparently the game's being torrented already.

Yep, doesn't matter though, can't play until the official release. GoG refuses to do DRM so the PC version will be very easy to pirate. This is why there are console versions, otherwise Witcher 3 would make no money.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

Yep, doesn't matter though, can't play until the official release. GoG refuses to do DRM so the PC version will be very easy to pirate. This is why there are console versions, otherwise Witcher 3 would make no money.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your point, did Pillars of Eternity not make any money?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Schlesische posted:

The important question: will my (needing a clean badly) 780Ti be able to use hairworks.

It is in 3 hours (and 50 minutes). No, they are not. An accurate countdown (for gog imploding) is here http://www.gog.com/

Probably not (unless you're willing to lower other details), the German site doing benchmarks shows the 970 dropping from a minimum of 40 fps to 30 when using hairworks.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Yaos posted:

There's a physical release. If you buy it tomorrow you'll still need to connect to the Internet or the game won't work.

Yes, the physical releases are missing the same files as the digital release. To prevent people from breaking release and then torrenting the files (which likely would have happened seeing as it did with the console versions).

They've already stated that this won't be the case with future presses and you'll be able to play the game without connecting to the Internet at all.

:getout:

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

This has never been and never will be true of PC piracy.

They're releasing the day 1 patch for free anyway.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Does anybody know offhand if the new nvidia drivers improve performance for single cards? Or is it just a sli profile and stuff like that? I can't check until later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So I left off on page 3 or 4 and was all thr way to page 12 when I was just about to give up I went one more page and saw Captain Conspiracy go from no avatar to a probated cat, and I just knew I had to burn the next 20 pages to see why.

I was not disappointed, thank you Orv.