Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jesters aren't part of any named party formations? Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Night10194 posted:

Cruise-aders.

:haw: :suicide:

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Time_pants posted:

Has anyone found any of the new trinkets that supposedly only drop in Medium or Long darkness parties?

I think those aren't scheduled to be in until the big May content patch.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

rydiafan posted:

Jesters aren't part of any named party formations? Weird.

Is that list ALL of them, or just the discovered ones? I figure Jester would be ripe for goofy names.

Also, started a new file because I was flailing like an idiot on my first one. Wrecked face for the first ten weeks or so, beat the Necro Apprentice with double Point Blank Shot and stun/heal support, then tried the Hag. Had nearly full HP and no stress going into the fight, then after a tough battle when she had THREE HIT POINTS LEFT she went three times in a row after spitting my Leper out of the pot at Death's Door. He took the first two hits like a champ but the third one was a Tenderizer that killed him and the Bounty Hunter behind him. Then my third dude immediately got tossed in the pot before he could act, and my lone Grave Robber can't attack from the front row. It went bad so fast, I lost three good dudes :negative:

I went into it blind though other than a vague idea that getting thrown in the pot really loving sucks, so next time I'll make sure everyone can hit the Hag no matter where they are I guess.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I really, really hate Bone Courtiers. When they crit with that loving goblet it's +30 stress to the target and +15 to everyone else. That's disastrous. And of course there's always two of them.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Quick question guys, does scouting a room count as exploring for the purpose of completing a quest?

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

No.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

rydiafan posted:

I really, really hate Bone Courtiers. When they crit with that loving goblet it's +30 stress to the target and +15 to everyone else. That's disastrous. And of course there's always two of them.

Those dudes are prime candidates for stuns and pulls. If you yank a Courtier to the front, it's largely neutered since it'll just sit around poking things with its lovely dagger.

The worst rear end in a top hat skeletons are the Bone Arbalists. They hit incredibly hard, will ALWAYS try to focus-fire, seem to have a really high critical rate, and appear to be able to shoot anywhere in your party when they're in the back ranks. They're wimpy up close, but they only need a turn or two in the back to make things go badly wrong. One critical hit from one of those jerks can easily put a flimsier class on Death's Door at a moment's notice; if you come up against a group with two of them and don't IMMEDIATELY lock them down, you might well have someone killed outright if you're unlucky.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Bone Courtiers also have a huge crit rate with their lovely daggers so they can super stress everyone out from everywhere

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Their dagger crits tend to deal minor to moderate stress in my experience, whereas a goblet critical will stress its target the gently caress out and then inflict the same minor secondary stress on everyone else. Also I almost never see the goblet miss, whereas my heroes regularly dodge the lovely dagger. If you can't just kill them right away, dragging Bone Courtiers to the front isn't a bad strategy.

e: The loving worst is when one of those beast drum assholes scores a critical hit with that Drums of Doom ability that targets your whole party. Yeah hey that's alright I was planning for everyone to get Afflicted anyway :negative:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 21, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Gabriel Pope posted:

The big bandit is the only large enemy that's scary

Well, the Woods Giant does tend to waste his turns doing a single-target Blight attack.

The large Corpse Eater seems to be pretty fragile even for a big guy.

The Ghoul's Skull Toss is basically two quarrels and a stress hit, and Howl is a better version of Drums of Doom (seriously, I've seen it hit everyone for 40 on crits).

The skeleton Bulwark has a full-party stun attack.

And then of course there's the Swine Centaur. Pig Lance is no joke.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

on BH talk: wouldn't a simple "nerf" to going the braindead approach of Bounty Hunters be to restrict BH Mark for 1 enemy at a time? I'm assuming right now there's no restriction on number of people Marked but idk, never had more than 1 BH in a party.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Well, the Woods Giant does tend to waste his turns doing a single-target Blight attack.

The large Corpse Eater seems to be pretty fragile even for a big guy.

The Ghoul's Skull Toss is basically two quarrels and a stress hit, and Howl is a better version of Drums of Doom (seriously, I've seen it hit everyone for 40 on crits).

The skeleton Bulwark has a full-party stun attack.

And then of course there's the Swine Centaur. Pig Lance is no joke.

The ghoul racks up a bunch of stress, which saps your party and might wreck a run but isn't immediately fatal. The bulwark is very slow, so by the time it moves either it's dead or you've taken out its back row and there's nothing that can rack up a bunch of damage while half your party is stunned. The swine centaur is fairly harmless as long as it's in the front, which is where it starts 99% of the time, so typically it wastes a turn trying to move backwards and then by the time it gets another turn you've killed everything else and it gets pushed back to the front.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
I don't think I've ever actually seen Pig Lance. The Swine Centaur has never been in a position to use it any time that I've fought him.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

How are Lepers and Jesters supposed to work? The former has the choice between attacks with poo poo accuracy or poo poo damage, and the Jester's songs either sometimes heal a tiny bit of stress or give a tiny amount of ACC/CRIT. I am having a hard time trying to shoehorn them in when I wreck face with Occultist heals, Doctor blights, Crusader/BH stuns, and Highwaymen/Robber attacks. They just seem objectively worse than the other classes. Why would I use 1/4 of my party for a permanent +4% accuracy? If it were +20% then maybe, but drat.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

How are Lepers and Jesters supposed to work? The former has the choice between attacks with poo poo accuracy or poo poo damage, and the Jester's songs either sometimes heal a tiny bit of stress or give a tiny amount of ACC/CRIT. I am having a hard time trying to shoehorn them in when I wreck face with Occultist heals, Doctor blights, Crusader/BH stuns, and Highwaymen/Robber attacks. They just seem objectively worse than the other classes. Why would I use 1/4 of my party for a permanent +4% accuracy? If it were +20% then maybe, but drat.

Lepers can self-heal and hit hard (if for poor accuracy.) Besides that, they're pretty tough even before the self-healing. Prime choice for a slot 1 tank.

The Jester is actually a total boss, but forget his songs. Put him in slot 1 or 2 and have him dish out bleeds and stab people in the face while dodging their attacks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Locke Dunnegan posted:

The catch with the Jester is the buff song stacks with each use and stress heal song is handy at surviving dungeons with less stress.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And if you play it right, the frontline Jester can be really great with Solo and Dirk Stab.

Mine rocks dual Legendary Bracers and can hit his Solos for 6 damage a pop, 15 crit. Pretty good for an all-attack debuffer, and that's not even counting Dirk Stab which can do 30-40 on a crit.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Locke Dunnegan posted:

If you're going to use lepers, you pretty much have to buff their accuracy with camp skills.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

MinibarMatchman posted:

on BH talk: wouldn't a simple "nerf" to going the braindead approach of Bounty Hunters be to restrict BH Mark for 1 enemy at a time? I'm assuming right now there's no restriction on number of people Marked but idk, never had more than 1 BH in a party.

Multiple classes can mark so this would also nerf other classes and considering that the entire point of a BH is to focus fire and kill a dude dead it would not interfere with the BH's modus operandi that much.

So no, probably not. If you wanted to nerf the BH the easiest way to do it would likely be to give Collect Bounty a -20% or -30% damage modifier, but increase the damage bonus from being marked by the same number. This would make Collect impractical for anything beyond high value targets with lots of health, which is what Collect implies it's for anyway. Finish Him should probably also only be usable from the first 2 positions, even if hitting all 4 positions on the opposing side is OK. At that point, the BH is a good front liner who likes to capitalize on openings created by his teammates, or can work to create those openings in the back two rows (where he would be more likely to use Come Hither, Flashbang, and Mark for Death). Hook & Slash remains a back-row utility skill for Hunters who are fitting in a little weird with their team, same way PDs have dagger skills that approximately nobody uses.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I really can't wait for this game to release on the PS4 already, Bloodborne has given me a hunger for more grim dark adventures.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I think the main reason no one uses the plague doctor skills is that when they did the buff to her, it only applied to the blight skills. So do you want a 1 point bleed or a 3 point blight?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The main reason I keep Incision on my Doctor is because none of her plague skills work from the front row, and surprise battles can be pretty lovely when they shuffle her into the front of the party. I still almost never use it, though. I'll probably swap it out for the stun grenade because that thing is awesome as hell.

Androc posted:

If you're going to use lepers, you pretty much have to buff their accuracy with camp skills.

That said, a Leper with boosted accuracy and damage is a hellish bulldozer. Hew is a pretty nice skill for a frontline bruiser, since -40% of Lots is still quite a bit of damage; a buffed Leper can routinely use it to annihilate lovely chaff enemies on turn 1, or to finish off tougher opponents injured by other heroes and still deal a solid chunk of damage to another opponent. Their defensive skill is pretty good too, since they can use it to burn their Stress down while the Protection buff lets them sit around giving zero fucks about the lovely club skeleton sadly plinking 3hp at a time off of their colossal health pool.

Also, Intimidate is an underrated skill; it rounds out their arsenal quite nicely. The damage is lower, but raw Leper killing power means that it still dishes out an alright amount of hurt in addition to being substantially more accurate, shoving beefy frontline enemies back, and debuffing them.

I think the Leper class still needs some tweaking to be legitimately Good (it's barely worth using at all early in the game, or in Short expeditions), but it can certainly be fairly strong and a lot of fun to play around with. Personally, I think giving the Leper's attacks a hard accuracy bonus against Marked enemies would be fantastic - it'd go a long way towards improving his usability and versatility, and it would make Marks more important. Plus, Leper synergy with Occultist and Bounty Hunter would encourage some interesting teams that don't involve any of The Usual Suspects.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Camp buffed leper and two cleaned guns highwaymen on a no torch run is almost guaranteed to delete the front two mobs on the first turn, if they don't crit and kill everything. Lepers are cool but definitely frustrating without the camp acc buff.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I didn't realize how big of a difference there was between different classes' base damage until I upgraded weapons a few times. Yeah, Leper isn't as bad as I thought. My Jester still gets eaten up if he isn't being useless in the back row, though, but maybe I need better Dodge relics.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Higher levels of Battle Ballad and Revenge make a Leper/Jester team completely brutal. Like, consistently critting for 60 brutal.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
it's been a while for me, have Lepers been given any kind of mobility upgrade?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

CommissarMega posted:

it's been a while for me, have Lepers been given any kind of mobility upgrade?

No. It's quite doubtful that they ever will. The mobility issue is pretty central to the archetype they're going for with the Leper class.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

One of my Vestals got Syphilis after fighting undead. I cured it, and she got it from 'encountering' undead again. Is she practicing "hate the sin, love the sinner" a little too literally?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Locke Dunnegan posted:

One of my Vestals got Syphilis after fighting undead. I cured it, and she got it from 'encountering' undead again. Is she practicing "hate the sin, love the sinner" a little too literally?

Forge the Narrative! :huh:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Is it in May that Red Hook is going to be releasing weekly updates? I guess I had my hopes up that they were going to start that in April.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Once my Bounty Hunter somehow picked up the "Love Interest" quirk from a bad experience in the Warrens.

"I just can't stop loving you Wilbur! :qq:"

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Once my Bounty Hunter somehow picked up the "Love Interest" quirk from a bad experience in the Warrens.

"I just can't stop loving you Wilbur! :qq:"

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I sincerely hope that they do something to ensure that you are guaranteed to get the two new classes quickly after the new patch drops. I'm just thinking about all the stories I've heard of people who weren't able to get a certain class after 25 weeks or something crazy like that.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Time_pants posted:

I sincerely hope that they do something to ensure that you are guaranteed to get the two new classes quickly after the new patch drops. I'm just thinking about all the stories I've heard of people who weren't able to get a certain class after 25 weeks or something crazy like that.

I have fully upgraded my village aside from the last step or two of the camp skill lady, so I know I'll be resetting my save when new stuff comes out. I miss having poo poo accuracy and no trinkets, I guess!

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

This was posted on the 13th but I guess we missed it.

"Three New Bosses. Two New Classes. New Trinkets.
Keep your calendars open."

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Have they mentioned putting the game on sale before/when it's launched in a non alpha/beta state? I keep considering picking it up but the possibility of a sale when it patches keeps putting me off.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

A lot of Steam launches have a 10-15% discount sale to go with them.

New survey out for backers where we get to vote on what kind of dog the Houndmaster has. Check your email.

(No Corgi, unfortunately)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It's got to be the Wolfhound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Angrymog posted:

It's got to be the Wolfhound.

Wouldn't something like a mastiff fit in well?