Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there edition wars for other games? Are there people out there calling each other '6tards' or 'Legendvengers' over RuneQuest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are there edition wars for other games? Are there people out there calling each other '6tards' or 'Legendvengers' over RuneQuest?
The premiere Call of Cthulhu discussion site on the internet had to institute a blanket ban on "D20 vs. BRP" arguments.

And the worst collection of grognards I ever saw was when I used to read the Traveller Mailing List.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's been more than 5 years so I'll never find it, but the groggiest and most vicious nerdery I ever saw was on RPG.net where someone, possibly Darren, unearthed several posts from a forum for crocheting hobbyists. I could only understand part of the dense jargon, but those ladies were super angry about some yarn.

Besides, says Wentzler—a longbow shooter whose last few deer were taken with stone points that he knapped himself—crossbows simply are not bows.

“Archery equipment should be defined as implements that are held by hand, drawn by hand and released by the motion of the hand in the presence of game,” he says. “If you are shooting a crossbow, you are not drawing the string in the presence of game. That alone gives crossbow shooters an unfair advantage. It is not bowhunting.”

That ease of use is the foundation for the most intense crossbow opposition. Crossbows represent not only a departure from the method and tradition of bowhunting, but also the ideology of restraint, says Helena, Montana, archer Joelle Selk.

“Bowhunting shouldn’t be simple or easy,” she says. “Most bowhunters understand it is inherently more difficult than other types of hunting, and they intentionally select that path. Because it is difficult, and because success is elusive, when it happens the reward is much greater.”

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shadowrun definately has this. WoD had it but a lot of it was defused now that you can buy pretty much any WoD ever printed.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Mendrian posted:

Shadowrun definately has this. WoD had it but a lot of it was defused now that you can buy pretty much any WoD ever printed.

A friend of mine got death threats for running a Werewolf: the Forsaken game instead of W:tA.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Mormon Star Wars posted:

A friend of mine got death threats for running a Werewolf: the Forsaken game instead of W:tA.

:stare:

Well, then.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mendrian posted:

Huh. You can't do the same with D&D right now. Maybe that's a solution...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Huh. You can't do the same with D&D right now. Maybe that's a solution...

The people who really stoked the whole "3e vs 4e" edition wars were perfectly able to buy Pathfinder and a wide variety of retroclones catering to their D&D desires the whole while and that didn't stop them from making GBS threads all over anything they perceived as Not D&D.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FMguru posted:

Early RPGs were full of people using their designs to take pissy potshots at each other

"I fear the rest of the Creed is a bit too strong for our gentile readers" but the Jewish ones can deal with it just fine.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

The people who really stoked the whole "3e vs 4e" edition wars were perfectly able to buy Pathfinder and a wide variety of retroclones catering to their D&D desires the whole while and that didn't stop them from making GBS threads all over anything they perceived as Not D&D.
A major source of edition war stoking was the marketing team for Pathfinder, who started before nearly anything was known about 4e, as I recall.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

Also, Wizards wasn't quite as lovely about PDFs. Their loving customer-spiting tantrum over an internal problem is still stunning.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013
A friend of mine sent me this, RE: The Warmachine RPG

"You just can't argue against the truth. I only recite the rules as they are written and apply the realities of business to the hobby. First and foremost the capitalist principles of profit must be observed, with the intrinsic human weakness of roleplayers regarded as a necessary evil. The great bulk of insecure nerds who buy RPG material can be fickle and insufferable, but that is the nature of the game. All you can really do is hope to cultivate social inclusion, confidence, and fun while streamlining your product to simultaneously meet needs and make money.

Most ( I'd say all, barring perhaps book art ) of these problems could be solved by people having the gumption to write their own mods. All you have to do is be resolute about what you want, take it, and make sure your team benefits. This mewling by the community for PP to lend authority to their ideas is pitiful. If you want a generic great weapon career make one up, make it good, and convince people you play with that it is good. Don't cry to PP that they didn't make the game right because your exact personal vision hasn't been met and then hope they will publish something you can use to strongarm a local GM or players into accepting. We aren't children who need a hall pass from the teacher to be allowed to go pee."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FMguru posted:

And the worst collection of grognards I ever saw was when I used to read the Traveller Mailing List.

The list of banned topics on the TML was hilariously long, and a good deal of it boiled down to the unlikely economics of the setting. Because some people just cannot deal with space opera not being realistic.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pulsedragon posted:

A friend of mine sent me this, RE: The Warmachine RPG

"You just can't argue against the truth. I only recite the rules as they are written and apply the realities of business to the hobby. First and foremost the capitalist principles of profit must be observed, with the intrinsic human weakness of roleplayers regarded as a necessary evil. The great bulk of insecure nerds who buy RPG material can be fickle and insufferable, but that is the nature of the game. All you can really do is hope to cultivate social inclusion, confidence, and fun while streamlining your product to simultaneously meet needs and make money.

Most ( I'd say all, barring perhaps book art ) of these problems could be solved by people having the gumption to write their own mods. All you have to do is be resolute about what you want, take it, and make sure your team benefits. This mewling by the community for PP to lend authority to their ideas is pitiful. If you want a generic great weapon career make one up, make it good, and convince people you play with that it is good. Don't cry to PP that they didn't make the game right because your exact personal vision hasn't been met and then hope they will publish something you can use to strongarm a local GM or players into accepting. We aren't children who need a hall pass from the teacher to be allowed to go pee."

Sever.

Non-obligatory grog donation to the thread, keeping with the warmahordes theme of the quoted post:

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My idea on the succubus: It's a pregnant Nyss carrying a Nephilim in her womb.

Nephilim and the Incubus are both results of the same research, right? This would break some taboos (a pregnant wargaming model, wow... not exactly used before). Also, it could expand on the concept of the nephilim creation, we know that the nephilim originally killed their incubators, but now the mothers can survive the birth. However, it doesn't say that ALL neph mothers survive, it could be that, say, those that do form a new elite caste within the legion and develop new features that can be used on the battlefield... also, since it's in the best interest of the dragon that more nephilim get born, these chicks should prove highly attractive, thus the appropriate moniker of succubus.

(IIRC, incubi could be defined as demons that inflict pain, while succubi inflict pleasure, right? So succubi should be in shapely female forms, while incubi are fine in unfinished beast flesh)

What does she do?

gives soulless to everybody in her CMD. Apart from synergy with Kallus feat, this is a nice FU to all soul recycling in the game, Cryx in particular. If Everblight can't use souls, neither can you.

A fearless/inspiration effect to other troops in the game

A synergy with nephilim and/or incubi. Soothing song like ability, or granting gang fighter or immunity to frenzies...

All could be * abilities.

If killed, you get a free incubus (the child gets out prematurely to avenge mother... hey, it's a nephilim embryo, not exactly an incubus, so maybe a new sculpt?)
Stats:
SPD 6, could be 5, pregnancy.
MAT, RAT, STR, POW, all irrelevant. She isn't there to fight.
DEF: 13 (could be lower, she's a prego for chrissakes, but I envision her floating spell martyr like)
ARM 16 (she is wearing the best Legionnare style armor, and the divine thing growing in her makes her super tough.)
5 health boxes, standar for a small based solo.
CMD: 8-10, the more the better.
Pt: 2, maybe 3. FA: 1

All in all, annoying but not an immediate threat for the opponent.

I'd like a wider Neph selection to go with her... neph sorcerer with an offensive animus and FURY 4; nephilim bleeder that has purer dragon blood in him, helps the warlocks spawn new beasts, could be a solo or an UA for the spawning vessel; nephilim warsmith that forges weapons and armor using its own blood, kind of like Rapture was forged, armed with a hammer, its animus gives erosion; Character nephilim twins, perhaps a reflection of Rhyas and Saeryn. Force one, the other gets the benefit if they are in each others CMD; nephilim champion, large based (yeah, that one's obvious); nephilim pariah, a malformed born nephilim ignored by the Legion, develops it's own unique animus and is taken back, sculpt may have sunken malnourished features, a nice contrast to heavily muscled nephilim.

Sorry for the long post, had to get it out.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 18, 2015

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Goddamit. It was bad enough when shadowrun put specific mechanics in for pregnant paramilitary psychos running around and getting shot at but that's just gross.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ronwayne posted:

Goddamit. It was bad enough when shadowrun put specific mechanics in for pregnant paramilitary psychos running around and getting shot at but that's just gross.

It's a tesseract of stupid, because while the faction he's talking about is the setting's main Body Horror Corruption Guys, it wouldn't even make sense from a completely utilitarian in-universe perspective. The creatures they incubate are prized shock troops, so it would be pretty wasteful to put them on the front lines while they're gestating a super-soldier.

I mean, that's of course putting on my hip waders to get through the aw hell no of this dude's fetish into the actual practicalities of toy doll solider xenomorph dragonmonster tactics and organization.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also I'm pretty sure Kingdom Death beat everyone to the coveted "first tabletop wargame to feature pregnant models" award, so it isn't even uniquely terrible.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

13/16 defense at SPD 6 with a Soulless command aura and you have to kill the thing twice is bullshit for 2 points too. At least he should try to appropriately price his gross fetish monster.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What would complete a thread on how to handle romantic relationships in TTRPGs, including legitimately good advice about discussing boundaries, talking over the nature of the relationship and how it fits into the larger themes of the game, and how to focus on the elements people are comfortable with?

A whole bunch of loving secret dice rolls, that's what.

quote:

Here is how I handle romance in my games. Personally I am not comfortable putting the spotlight of the campaign on one character's relationship with an NPC, I firmly believe relationships with NPCs within a tabletop roleplaying game should be regulated to background information, PC to PC relationships are different so they are handled differently, however this is my solution to PC + NPC.

I tell my player if they wish their character to romance an NPC within the world then I will stat up the NPC with "romance stats" (basically a motivation modifier and a goal modifier). I then tell the player to type a one paragraph romance interaction, this is a date, or some other courtship ritual with which the PC is attempting to woo the NPC, and to assume that the interaction should stay PG.

Once I have the romance interaction in hand, out of the player's view, I read through and mark "romance modifiers" to each sentence. Things the NPC enjoyed about the romance interaction or the PC in general are marked as positive, things not inline with the NPC's motivations or goals are marked as negative modifiers. I add all the modifiers from the date up then roll (usually 2d6 or 4dF dice for a nice solid bell curve).

I work on a high low system. High numbers mean the NPC enjoyed the romantic interaction and would like to continue the relationship; lower numbers means the NPC did not enjoy the romantic interaction either due to PC blundering, lack of motivation to continue the relationship, or mismatched goals. And the PC will require to give the NPC a reason to continue the relationship (I always give the PC a roleplaying opportunity to try to fix things, even if that's just giving the NPC a gift or a promise or something).

But that's just how I handle it. This way keeps the romantic relationships in the background, but also pertinent to the game, and keeps from making a session about roleplaying with a single (heh...) PC and NPC. Especially good for groups who aren't able to meet for gaming very often, or those groups who's session time is relatively short.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013
Oh, no I meant in the sense they know that I like grog.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I actually kinda like the romancegrog. Bluebooking is fun some of the time but often times lacks mechanical heft. It's a bad first pass but at least it's a (ahem) pass. I also appreciate that sometimes the NPC just isn't interested in the kind of thing the PC is pursuing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Even before the oWoD vs. nWoD wars, there was an incredibly bitter edition war over Mage 2nd Ed. vs. Mage Revised.

Pulsedragon posted:

The great bulk of insecure nerds who buy RPG material can be fickle and insufferable, but that is the nature of the game. All you can really do is hope to cultivate social inclusion, confidence, and fun while streamlining your product to simultaneously meet needs and make money.
But this part is true

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Halloween Jack posted:

Even before the oWoD vs. nWoD wars, there was an incredibly bitter edition war over Mage 2nd Ed. vs. Mage Revised.

But this part is true

What do you mean just "before", those arguments kept happening well into the mid 2000s.

Well, I don't know if it was over the edition change per se, I just remember lots of people getting really really angry about omage in general.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There is no subject WoD grogs will more reliably argue over than Mage.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The great thing is that Mage flame wars on RPGnet burned hot for over a decade, to the point it ran off an incredibly chill long-time member and WoD Dev. Then they permabanned one guy and the problem largely went away. Kaiu, i think? He was a pretty special kind of Exalted grog, too. Dude had serious conspiracy theories about some nefarious dev plot at White Wolf to ruin his personal fun. He would spark Mage flame wars in Exalted threads. I think he even tracked that poo poo into a D&D thread once.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
Are there any rules anywhere for creating characters above 1st level? Specifically, is there any kind of wealth by level chart anyplace?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Are there any rules anywhere for creating characters above 1st level? Specifically, is there any kind of wealth by level chart anyplace?

What? Start above first level? Earn your fun, you loot-addled millenial.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

The great thing is that Mage flame wars on RPGnet burned hot for over a decade, to the point it ran off an incredibly chill long-time member and WoD Dev. Then they permabanned one guy and the problem largely went away. Kaiu, i think? He was a pretty special kind of Exalted grog, too. Dude had serious conspiracy theories about some nefarious dev plot at White Wolf to ruin his personal fun. He would spark Mage flame wars in Exalted threads. I think he even tracked that poo poo into a D&D thread once.

He wanted L5R devs 10+ years after the fact to apologize about introducing Blood Magic into the Lion Clan because of a ccg event.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Plague of Hats posted:

IIRC, MtA:Revised (the final old World of Darkness edition of Mage: the Ascension) made a couple of small tweaks to the setting to conform with a metaplot event. Moving between spheres of reality was made more difficult, and the one reality bubble that was the hideout/headquarters of the Ultimate Council Of Good Mages) was rendered inaccessible. I was following the oWoD fairly closely at the time, and my reaction was "...there was an Ultimate Council Of Good Mages out there somewhere? Huh, who knew?"

But for a tiny number of people this was the final straw in what they saw was a long-running WW plan to nerf and humiliate Mages and make Vampires reign supreme over the WoD because the people who ran WW were a bunch of stupid goths who couldn't stand to see anything in the setting be more powerful than their oh-so-previous Cainites. There was a conspiracy at the heart of White Wolf to crush all non-vampires in their setting under the hobnailed boots of Vamp Supremacy, and they weren't going to have any of it. And they proceeded over the course of a decade (no joke) to poo poo up every single thread about Mage on the entire internet with their stupid conspiracy theory. It was amazing. And don't even ask about what ended up in the inboxes on Mage developers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ha ha ha what? The only thing Kindred had over everybody else in the oWoD was if you combined Celerity, Potence, and something that inflicted aggravated damage, and they didn't have a monopoly on that. Mages were still ridiculously powerful.

I don't remember Revised very well; it didn't actually have much impact on the Mage games I played. But I remember being pleased that the Traditions could no longer easily hop in their Millennium Falcons and fly to their extradimensional Hall of Justice full of unicorns.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I liked the metaplot for Revised. Both major sides of the Ascension War had spent so much time and energy faffing about beyond the Gauntlet that they lost the Sleepers. Spirituality? Meh. Cloned sheep? Who the gently caress cares, Seinfeld's on.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I just love the idea that 90s WW could mount an organized, long-running, secret conspiracy across their entire product line - the same people that could barely maintain continuity between "something in Chapter 2" and "something in Chapter 5" in a single book.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Revised was honestly a pretty big change to the game's setting insofar as it completely invalidated more than one entire book for the previous edition. It was a well-intentioned change--they wanted to bring a game that had spread out into cosmic stuff back to Earth so that it would be in the same setting as the other games instead of mostly the spirit world, and make a few other tweaks. But they shot themselves in the foot with what's currently called "dirty hippie" design--they blew up all the bits of the setting they wanted to de-emphasize and told people who liked them that they were stupid for having liked them.

It's not surprising that people got mad. Not that that excuses Kaiu, who insisted that this was all part of some pro-Vampire scheme and called the writers liars to their faces when they told him that no, that wasn't the point at all.

(Pretty much all his arguments on anything took that same conspiracy-theory form; nobody ever just disagreed with him about something, it was always part of their agenda.)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Assuming it's a OSR "earned treasure = XP" kind of game, it might be easy enough to say that characters start with gold equal to half the XP total required for their level (assume the other half of the gold was spent on sundry things like equipment, bribes, spell components, etc. during their adventuring career)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Kaiu Keiichi was a dude who simply couldn't wrap his head around the concept of "hey, what if nobody's actually interested in my opinion?" and instead decided that the problem was that he simply wasn't sharing it enough in every discussion possible.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

In the 1E DMG there's a table for generating random other adventurers; my own constellation of gamers would use that for, at least, determining what magic items your new sixth-level guy had.

The "earn your fun, always start at level 1" is also a persistent misapprehension, Gygax meant "take pains to let a new PLAYER have a small dungeon run - put the campaign on hold, let the regulars play level 1 fighter men-at-arms or something - so he gets that pleasure of discovery. Then after a couple of sessions start giving him his cut and catch him up with everyone."

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012

quote:

I don't know if there's any mechanics out there, or if such a thing has been discussed before, but I'm wanting to figure out how to run a pregnant character in the terms of game mechanics/effects. I asked this question on a site and for a system that was way oversimplified in the terms of IGE. As a result, I cannot simply convert it. I know it's ultimately up to the GM to arbitrate, but i would like an idea as to how to mechanics it before I try anything.

quote:

That seems like a tremendously bad idea.

quote:

If you want to have a unique playing experience I would look at pregnancy (and it's in game effects) from the effect is has on the body during the three trimesters.

1st Trimester:
* Morning Sickness: As sunrise the character gains the Nauseated condition for 1D4 hours.
* Increased Sensitivity: The character takes 1D3 non-lethal damage every time she is hit for physical damage.

2nd Trimester:
* Quickening: The mothering instinct starts to develop, +1 Will Saves
* Early Fetal Development: Reduce speed by 10'

3rd Trimester:
* Restricted Movement: Character gains permanent Fatigued condition.
* Restricted Mobility: Character gains permanent Staggered condition.
* Labour Pain: Character gains the Grappled condition for 1 round and is dealt 1D4 non-lethal damage. False Labour can occur up any time during the 3rd Trimester, but regular labour pains start prior to birth.
* Birth: Childbirth lasts 1D20 hours, of which the mother takes 1D4 non-lethal damage per round until unconscious, then she starts taking 1D4 damage per round till end of childbirth. The mother may attempt a Fort Save (DC 10 + number of hours that have passed), to negate non-lethal damage, and half lethal damage. At the end of Childbirth both mother and child gain Dying condition (even if they have positive hit points), and must roll to stabilize or die. Mother gains Exhausted condition after childbirth.

quote:

Side note- if you treat pregnancy like a carrying capacity problem, then maybe allow the dwarf rules for that stuff to apply.

It just feels right for a dwarf to just power on through like nothing was the matter. Time to stop and rest? There are axes to forge and ore to mine. She'll take a 5 minute break next week (mostly to have a few ales- it encourages beard growth in dwarf infants)

quote:

Here is a solution- have it onset every 1d4 hours and give 1 damage (actual damage) if she fails a fort save. That should put the numbers into the right range.

Nothing in an easy, short birth, possibly deadly in a bad, long birth (all in the dice). It averages out to 4 damage (10.5 hour long birth, nonlethal every 2.5 hours). Less than the health of the average level 1 commoner, but still takes a lot out of her (and that is if she fails the saves). In the worst case, it is 20 damage, which could be very, very bad for the average commoner.

It also leaves room for side factors. Low constitution? More likely to fail fort saves, and less health to survive the damage. And the icon of the midwife seems like it would help- bonus to saves, temporary health if condition sours, stabilize to stop the worst case scenarios.

Now, the save probably should be relatively low, but still noticeable. I think a 12-15 seems fair- for a commoner, it would be noticeable (but as stated above, would likely not come up too often). A bit of hardy constitution and some bonuses from resistance would also make it better. Maybe give a +1-+2 circumstance bonus if there is a trained midwife (or anyone that can pass the heal check), and if she has the right tools (midwife kit or general healer's kit).

Now, those numbers don't seem like much to adventurers. And they are not. But adventures have access to powerful magics (which trivializes the process), they are rather strong physically, and they have money. But looking at it in setting, it means that a rich noble will have a nice level cleric on call the entire time, while a rural commoner might have to send someone over 10 miles to rush the nearest cleric (who might be level 1-2) to their farm house. So overall, it seems like it works well enough.

quote:

In our Kingmaker campaign, where I am the Queen Regent, we use The Book of Erotic Fantasy modifiers for conception and pregnancy.

Every month in the Edicts Phase we added a Conception Check, primarily for the Queen but also for anyone else we need to check. We've spent about 14 years of game time thus far.

Basically, all there is to it is a % check based on the race(s) of the couple, usually 5%-15%, assuming that they are not trying to prevent anything.

Then check gestation for non-humans, the Queen is human, then...

First trimester - no game effect other than announcement.
Adventure as normal.

Second trimester - game effect- movement reduced by one quarter and -2 to DEX.
Adventure as normal, but roleplay it cranky, uncomfortable, nauseated, fatigued, whatever the mood I feel like.

Third trimester - game effect- half movement and -4 to DEX, -2 to STR.
No Adventuring - Stay at the castle prepare for birth, send cohort husband out to adventure, handle administrative Queen's Downtime stuff.

Due date - game effect - consider Queen incapacated a few days before and after, so make sure any and all contingency plans are complete. Make sure the rest of the party is immediately at hand and ready for all hell to break loose.

Our GM likes to create plot twists at these times.

After month - no game effect - Make announcement, allow other player's to roll-off to choose name from list. Spend time getting ready to adventure again while tending to needs of children, court, kingdom & whatnot.

Second month after return to normal.

She started the campaign at 24 and she's had two time interruptions. The first where we were "removed from time stream" for about 7 years, so she didn't age. The second where she got a new body that was 4 years younger, both were by GM fiat.

Currently she is 27 with the following children;
A set of triplets - all very different - GM did a bad thing. Human/Fey father(s).
A normal child - half-elf father (reincarnated).
A normal child - same.
Presently, pregnant (same) going into 8th month next game (today).

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

FMguru posted:

The premiere Call of Cthulhu discussion site on the internet had to institute a blanket ban on "D20 vs. BRP" arguments.

There seems to be a 7E vs Older Editions slapfight brewing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Man where's the forum fight between D20 and Gurps and Tricode Prime Directive?

Oh wait here's some:

Illumisar, apparent author of original Prime Directive posted:

As for the GM vs. Player // non-cinematic thing? Hey, any GM can skew a game against the players but there was not of that built into the game itself and certainly none in the material I wrote, especially considering the various character background and reputation systems and whole wheedling system. In fact the game was very intentionally designed precisely to model the sorts of cinematic/script-immunity/"aw-geez-are-ya-kiddin'-me? " kinds of tropes that were so commen in the TV show. Different strokes for different folks I guess . . .

Here we see him responding to someone saying the game was somewhat old-fashioned and adversarial, which was weird for a game with a cinematic background. He naturally disagrees and thinks the game was friendly. The game in question being the one where your player can wheedle out of death by spending months in a hospital (just like on Star Trek) by begging the DM for that allowance. If the DM is feeling lenient, he is encouraged to agree to spare the character's life, send them home to copy words out of the dictionary, and wait there as the DM and other players go out for pizza.

None of that is hyperbole, it's actually what the book says.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

There seems to be a 7E vs Older Editions slapfight brewing.

I believe the reason Call of Cthulhu has been mostly free of edition wars is because the editions have all been very similar. I'm not too familiar with the differences between editions, but 7th Edition does things like depart from BRP and introduce luck points, which to a system that has been BRP since 1981 and where 2nd edition mechanics supplements are still mostly usable with 6th edition, is an extremely radical change. You don't get much edition wars when your edition updates are "Skills start at 1 instead of 0, spell multipliers are no longer a thing, and we removed some of Lumley's contributions to the Mythos".

• Locked thread