Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

PFlats posted:

:thumbsup: (thumbs up emoji)

Ah I guess I don't have whatever installed for Firefox. :shrug:

P.s. I did reply with that and it was met with radio silence. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
I had my first league game ever last Sunday and my second one tonight. I had 1 shot on net that I was pretty happy with. Goalie held it and we won the resulting faceoff and scored. We lsot 8-2 but I was on ice for both our goals, and 3 against so I'm not terribly upset. We're a first year team made up of everyone from my LTP class. I had a blast but one thing that really annoyed me was other people not changing. 15 minute running clock periods and I think my line played maybe 5 shifts with 9 forwards. My line would play maybe 1:30 at the longest and change and every other line would go 2-5 minutes. At one point there was 5 minutes remaining in a period and we should have been the next line, but we never got back on the ice, Other than a significant lack of play time it was a blast.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That sounds about right to me though? 3 lines for fifteen minutes means you should play about 5 minutes.

Unless it was 5 shifts all game which is hilarious bullshit. Yell at the assholes for being idiots.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

It was honestly 6 shifts all game.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Talk to your captain. 6 shifts all game is preposterous. Guys should know to dump somewhere betwen 1:00 and 1:30 and get the hell off the ice. It's a little harder at lower levels, because guys don't really have a sense of what a shift should feel like, or how/when it's safe to change. But that's what getting yelled at is for.

Also, if there's a stoppage and you know the other group has had enough ice time, you and your line should just hop over the boards and go take the face-off. Don't wait for them. If the other guys don't start skating off, they kind of look like dicks.

No excuse for a 5-minute shift, unless maybe you're down by 1 at the end of a playoff game and your hot-shot ringer Johnny McDangles can get you another game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The main problem I see with the really new players is they don't work hard enough to get tired, which leads to the long shifts.

Start preaching they should be sprinting to make plays and they'll beg to come off the ice after 60 seconds. Assuming they actually start moving their feet.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don't talk to your captain. Talk to the room. You're all adults.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

In my experience, anyone other than the captain talking to a locker room full of beginners pretty much goes in one ear and out the other. Adults or not.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

The main problem I see with the really new players is they don't work hard enough to get tired, which leads to the long shifts.

Or they're just terrible skaters who never work on improving their skills and as a result are literally unable, or unable to put themselves in the position, to work hard enough to get tired. One of the co-captains on one of my teams (who has been playing on ice since like 2007) is the first guy to tell others they need to take shorter shifts, but will stay out there for 3 minutes at a time because he's such a slow and awkward skater that he never taxes the conditioning he's developed from cycling.

I tend to go 1-1.5 minutes in our 15min stop clock league, and about 2 minutes on our 20min running clock league.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

Start preaching they should be sprinting to make plays and they'll beg to come off the ice after 60 seconds. Assuming they actually start moving their feet.

Yeah, this. And also the "I got stuck out there" problem where they feel like they just can't get to the bench fast enough and therefore stay out there more or less immobile until there's a whistle.

Oh, edit to add: In one of my leagues guys had started apologizing for taking short shifts (I guess feeling the person on the bench might want more of a break?) and I didn't get it...then recently I got asked to take longer shifts in a new-to-me league. So I guess there are places in the world where people actually want their teammates out there for 2+ minutes? I have no idea.

Pinky Artichoke fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 17, 2015

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Part of the problem is they don't move so they aren't tired. Another is we're all new so the puck never really leaves our zone. Players constant chasing out of position and my line is the only one that can execute a breakout, and everyone seems to think a shift ends when they get to play offense so they just stay out. I'll see how tonight goes, maybe it was just a bad week.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I'm willing to cut people some slack on taking shifts up to 2:00 but beyond that is pretty dumb. I agree that it's a fitness thing. Counterintuitively, as I've gotten more fit, I've become a lot more aware of feeling like I should change after 1:00-1:30. Presumably because I'm skating a lot harder in that time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

In my experience, anyone other than the captain talking to a locker room full of beginners pretty much goes in one ear and out the other. Adults or not.

Dangerllama posted:

What gives a captain on a beginner team an ounce of authority or respect, really?

I mean I hear you, but isn't that evidence of a personality of a team? The adult beginners I help with listen to people with more experience, sure, but when it's the group of them together the guy/girl who organized the jersey order doesn't get more respect than the person playing well or who is fun to be around. And at the beginning of the year they all want to be friends.

Not to mention by speaking up on a new team youre likely to find others that agree with you, which is great if the team isn't a fit and you want to break off and start something with those of a similar attitude.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We got blown out 6-2 on our beginner team last week and in the dressing room I just said "I think we need to spread out in our defensive zone and keep the wingers on the point" and even though I'm just some nobody new guy lo and behold we had wingers on the points in the next game. I'm sure a lot of people were thinking it but not everyone knows this stuff.

4 out of 5 players on a beginner team probably have no clue how long a shift should be. Players who can't stop or turn quickly also aren't going to skate fast enough to get tired. Just politely say "we should try keeping our shifts shorter" and you'll probably see a change.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The last drill the instructional league runs before the first game is the line change drill. I'm sure everyone's done it: 5 on the ice, rest of the team on the bench. Dudes on the ice sprint to the far boards back and forth three times then change lines.

Coaches preface it by telling everyone that that's about how long your shifts should be. Also you should be that tired at the end of every shift.

Works somewhat well, except for the dudes that are flat out unwilling to show hustle.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Blocked a hard slapper from about ten feet on Saturday night. Time for better gloves.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've noticed this year that some NHLers have extra bits of armor attached to their gloves. Looks like a big square that gets stitched to the normal rolls.. assume some kind of hard plastic.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

xzzy posted:

I've noticed this year that some NHLers have extra bits of armor attached to their gloves. Looks like a big square that gets stitched to the normal rolls.. assume some kind of hard plastic.

A lot of mid-to-high tier gloves advertise hard plastic inserts within the padding, and a kid on my team showed me his gloves after the game, which has them. I'm definitely upgrading from my falling-apart Easton S3s.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I was gonna post a huge spergy post about my aluminum team but fuckit, ya'll know the stereotypes, Acethomas and I have them ALL.

And a dry locker room post game too, so lame.

I'm moving next week into a place where I can set up a practice pad in a garage with hopefully a mirror and try to develop some semblance of an actual shot and some puckhandling. Hopefully I can move up next season.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

sellouts posted:

What gives a captain on a beginner team an ounce of authority or respect, really?

I mean I hear you, but isn't that evidence of a personality of a team? The adult beginners I help with listen to people with more experience, sure, but when it's the group of them together the guy/girl who organized the jersey order doesn't get more respect than the person playing well or who is fun to be around. And at the beginning of the year they all want to be friends.

Not to mention by speaking up on a new team youre likely to find others that agree with you, which is great if the team isn't a fit and you want to break off and start something with those of a similar attitude.

Yeah, I don't really know the underlying social dynamic, but I've just seen it enough times with different players/teams to recognize that kvetching about ice time in the locker room usually makes the person sound like a whiner; the guys that know down to the minute exactly how much ice they got that night, etc. Even if that stigma is unjustly awarded (which it usually is).

For what it's worth, I'm only talking about ice time and not any other topics. I've seen every other conversation (initiated by anyone and everyone) go perfectly fine, gamechat, strategy, tactics, we want to be on a line together, whatever. Just ice time conversations seem to go nowhere in the locker room :shrug:

It's entirely possible I'm just projecting the usual "douchebag who knows he's taking four minute shifts and doesn't care" onto a "beginner doesn't really realize they're supposed to get off the ice even if they're not tired" situation though. Players who take to much ice time at intermediate levels know full drat well what they're doing.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 18, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
First game down into my first ever hockey season post LTP school. We got our asses handed to us for the usual reasons: no breakout, panic passes, no wingers covering the point(s), etc etc but after that first period we started to show signs of getting our poo poo together and had actual for-real breakouts and forechecking so hey, it's a moral victory! :toot: ....for an 8-to-1 drubbing. Our goalie loving owns all the old bones. Dude is gray hair as heck and can't butterfly (he even admits it) but holy poo poo his old school kick saves and pad stacks are :swoon:. He's got a rad old beat brown leather blocker as well.

So that being said - looked up the stats for the other LTP-made team in our division and they, too, got stomped but did have one extra goal than us. Go them, I guess. The problem is, when they split us up, we were each assigned the team names of HES-White and HES-Black with the option to change it whenever. The other guys, the white team, are, of course, The No ReGretzkys, and we're still the HES Black team. What I'm saying is: We need a dumb team name for us STAT.

Discuss. :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Yeah the ahl barons gloves bewbies got me have them, I can take a pic if you like. For what it's worth they don't feel that much more protective than my eagles. Eagles are more bulky though.

Nitramster posted:

And a dry locker room post game too, so lame.

I'm moving next week into a place where I can set up a practice pad in a garage with hopefully a mirror and try to develop some semblance of an actual shot and some puckhandling. Hopefully I can move up next season.

Do yall have a schedule for beer duty? If not show some leadership man! If so then gently caress that person!

As for moving up, keep coming to Tuesday nights so your skating can improve. Once that gets a little better I think you could make it. Maybe the season after next. Also there is a team the next level up with a bunch of those dudes on it, so keep making friends. Good group of guys there.

And you're going to make the playoffs if you get 1 point in your next three games so those stereotypes aren't holding you down that much.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Oh, edit to add: In one of my leagues guys had started apologizing for taking short shifts (I guess feeling the person on the bench might want more of a break?) and I didn't get it...then recently I got asked to take longer shifts in a new-to-me league. So I guess there are places in the world where people actually want their teammates out there for 2+ minutes? I have no idea.

I've apologized for short shifts when I'm too gassed to skate well and I know the guy after me is pretty tired too.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I used to play on a team where a guy would seriously play 10 minute shifts. I once saw him skate out there for 15 minutes before changing. The rumor was he had just gotten out of prison for assault, so no one complained to his face.

He thought he was really good since he had decent hands, but his skating absolutely sucked. I couldn't even tell you if he had good or bad form, because he just never skated hard, which is also why he was never winded. It was like he was always waiting for you to get the puck and pass it to him. I think we went 0-10 that season too.

When the next season came, we just called the rink and told them not to let him register. The lady who ran the rink hated that guy since he was a hot head, so she banned him from rink. Fun times.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

bgreman posted:

Blocked a hard slapper from about ten feet on Saturday night. Time for better gloves.

Took a hard slapper off the inside of my left heel last night. I won't say blocked, because when I saw him wind up I was out front of one of the posts (defensively) and with no opponent on me started moving to the side to prevent screening my goalie and turning to face the crease - and wouldn't you know it their point man rockets it about a foot wide. That may have been the post painful puck I've ever taken. Was legitimately worried for about five minutes that it had broken my heel bone to some extent, but I think it's just really badly bruised, as I was able to put weight on it and finish out the game, albeit skating somewhat gingerly. This morning, I wake up to a nice, half dollar sized dark blue bruise, but while I was expecting it to be extra agonizing today, as with most game injuries the morning after, it's not nearly as painful as I expected (or it was last night, when I was limping heavily). Mainly I hope it feels okay for my leg plyometrics on Wednesday.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

12 more days until hockey starts :gonk:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What causes Charlie horses and how do you stop them? I think it's a Charlie horse but basically when I put my left skate on the ball of my foot, when I lean on that inside edge my foot goes numb like a pinched nerve. Not always but sometimes. My skates are 3-4 years old. Nothing has changed there. They're likely .5 and .25 sizes small, but have always been too small.

Then later in the game all of a sudden it feels like my toe is locked up and I'm pressing against the bone or a fully locked tendon. Goes away after a while but it kinda sucks.

Any thoughts? I feel like it's not a stretch thing as it happens at random times and there are no long term pains/symptoms.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poor hydration is the main cause of cramps, but I'd assume someone who's played a lot of sports wouldn't have an issue with fluids.

Mineral deficiencies can be a cause too.

If it's the same spot every time it might be an injury you didn't know you have.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah it just started a month ago and I drink a fuckload of water before games, nothing in my routine has changed there really.

I don't know what the injury could be. Maybe that skate is finally too small and my foot has swollen or something. I also wonder if maybe I have a calcium deposit there from years of skates and maybe it broke free or something.

I need this loser to come down on his reasonable price for skates on eBay so I can justify getting a pair that is more of the right size.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

it's probably a bunion

thank you based bewbies

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Yeah it just started a month ago and I drink a fuckload of water before games,

Any electrolytes? Drinking a fuckload of water will deplete them, possibly causing cramps.

I usually pop a Nuun tablet into a glass of water before games, or do a 50/50 mix of Gatorade/water in my bottles.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any electrolytes? Drinking a fuckload of water will deplete them, possibly causing cramps.

I usually pop a Nuun tablet into a glass of water before games, or do a 50/50 mix of Gatorade/water in my bottles.

Wait, that's it! Team It's What Pants Crave - Thanks Henrik! :v: Either that or Team Upgrayedd

Edit: so far no one has liked my terrible team name idea of Coffey Grinders as a response to the other half of our LTP class choosing The ReGretzkys - I mean, come on, this is a team in Seattle :coffee: for christ's sake. It works on so many levels and they probably have no idea who Paul Coffey is.
:negative:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 19, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
double post wee

xzzy posted:

The last drill the instructional league runs before the first game is the line change drill. I'm sure everyone's done it: 5 on the ice, rest of the team on the bench. Dudes on the ice sprint to the far boards back and forth three times then change lines.

Coaches preface it by telling everyone that that's about how long your shifts should be. Also you should be that tired at the end of every shift.

Works somewhat well, except for the dudes that are flat out unwilling to show hustle.

We didn't actually do this but now, after reading it, I really wish we had. It took us a couple shifts and, of course, one Too Many Mans penalty in the 1st period but we did eventually square it away I suppose. However, long-shift-itis has definitely infected one of the guys on our new team... who happens to be mr. I-wanna-be-captain-really-badly and skates so insanely leisurely.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

I think one of guys I play pick up with uses those. How do they taste? I don't like any of the flavors of Gatorade/Powerade so I tend to skip those.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

it's probably a bunion

thank you based bewbies

I was gonna say you're probably growing a bunion and it's been so gradual you didn't know it. What size skate do you wear? I'd let you borrow my Vapors if you wanted to give em a shot and see if you still felt anything. I'm having trouble with my new Grafs making my arches hurt for roughly 5 days after playing. In game they're great and my control/feel is at a level I never had before, but drat 5 days of discomfort sucks. I think I need arch inserts.

Also I went to all those Tuesday's you weren't at, they help immensely. Played defence for the last one I went to and that was amazing for building my confidence to switch from back to forward and vice versa, and go from skating hard backwards to hard forwards without coming to a stop.

As for going all the time, it's a financial expense I can't afford this month. Hopefully I can make next week and at least 2 a month after that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

but if it was just a cramp why would it be exclusively in my big toe and feel like a bone issue far more than a muscle cramp you know?

Edit: My skates are size 6.0 and 6.25. They should probably be 6.5 or so. Nitra I should be at them for all of may + june, just depends on if they put together a tournament or something during the month of june once the wed/thurs leagues are full.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 19, 2015

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If it's just a toe cut it off.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yeah really, you've got 4 more on that foot as backup.

I've mentioned before there is one guy I play pickup with who is a bit of douchebag. Apparently, he was bitching because I was pushing him in front of my goal. Guess I've been playing defense wrong all of those years! He also tripped over his own skate near me and acted like I tripped him and started crosschecking me, with a slash here and there. I'm really begin to wonder why he plays if he doesn't want to be touched.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I guess I was walking around with a slightly dislocated? toe for a little while until a massage therapist unexpectedly fixed it. I felt it more in gym activities than skating but if you've jammed your foot recently you might want to get it looked at. I think I caused it by getting my toe caught in the hem of my other pant leg and tripping, which didn't seem like a big deal at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

calandryll posted:

I think one of guys I play pick up with uses those. How do they taste? I don't like any of the flavors of Gatorade/Powerade so I tend to skip those.

They taste pretty good. My local grocery store has them on sale from time to time, a tube of 12 for like $5.

This is a pretty good price:
http://www.amazon.com/Nuun-Active-Hydration-Electrolyte-Enhanced/dp/B001QW1L72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432048260&sr=8-1&keywords=nuun
Although I know one flavor tastes like piss, and I want to say it's lemon-lime, but I can't remember. This one would probably be the safer bet:
http://www.amazon.com/Nuun-Active-Hydration-Electrolyte-Enhanced/dp/B005GQ6IN6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432048260&sr=8-2&keywords=nuun

The taste isn't overpowering. It's like a slightly-fizzy flavored water. No carbs, no calories.

When I was marathon training, I'd carry water bottles of Gu Roctane for carbs/electrolytes. Sometimes if I have a couple games in one day, I'll toss a scoop or two into one of my water bottles to get some extra carb energy going. It's comparable to Gatorade, but way less sugar and is easier on the stomach.
http://www.amazon.com/GU-Roctane-Endurance-Energy-Tropical/dp/B006VKZCGK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432048464&sr=8-2&keywords=roctane

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 19, 2015