Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

joepinetree posted:

Cool, you are a loving expert.

I have no idea why you are so being so agressive. yup, i'm an expert.

you are mostly correct both in your analysis of the law, and on how it is possible to change the constitution to reduce benefits. You are incorrect in trivializing the difficulty of implementing theses constitutional changes, and caracterizing this as a "cutting pensions". EC 41 was only approved because it was the 1st year of the 1st term of the Lula presidency, and he was still in his honeymoon phase.

also, this solvency thing from 54+ to 29 is bullshit. 53% of the state employees are allocated in the pay as you go fund, which has no assets, no actuarial evaluation, and the solvency is basically guaranteed by state. the paygo system will need over R$ 70 billion in extra state contributions to stay solvent. the total impact of the new law in just 14 billion. it's not surprising that the actuarial evaluation that supports the law glosses over the financial/military funds. the serious solvency issue already exists, and its not long term.

if you want to see a law that really hosed up the state pension system, take a look at the RN law approved last december:

http://www.4shared.com/office/lOO4WL9iba/Gov_RGN_Desp_235_2015_Of_194_2.html

drat it, you made me read work stuff in a holiday. i hate you now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I am not being aggressive. You are nitpicking something where the implications are pretty clear. It reduces the burden on the government right now by switching people from the paygo system to the capitalized system to save money now (and use up the surplus of the capitalized system in the process), with a promise that in the future it will increase contributions to the capitalized system, while the only source explicitly mentioned for that has a set limit and is conditional. In other words, it doesn't actually solve anything and creates a much bigger problem down the road even in the best interpretation of the law. And I am not incorrect in trivializing how easy it is to cut pensions without cutting pensions. Between the 1990s and 2014 all states approved laws instituting that those retired had to keep contributing to the pension funds (which ec 41 did at the federal level), which doesn't officially cut pensions, but in reality do. I mean, parana itself passed law 511/2014. I mean, none of this is new. The literature on welfare state retrenchment (Blyth, Hicks, Zorn, Esping Andersen, etc) already speaks to these issues, and I actually have a paper on social security spending in Latin America that should be in print next year. Cuts in benefits, pensions and other spending don't come in the form of actual cuts, but by tweaking eligibility, changing the adjustment formula on how benefits are paid, or instituting greater contribution burdens on those who benefit from it. Which becomes inevitable once you reduce current spending on pensions. There is no magic bullet. The government saving money now shifting where retirees get their money from will have to come from additional contributions or cuts in the future, and history speaks pretty clearly about which will happen. As such, the only remarkable thing about what is going on in Parana is how unremarkable it is.

Edit:
Not to mention that this was precisely what people who protested the 1998 reform in Parana said would happen long term.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 1, 2015

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
i think we are talking through each other here.

I agree with you, in the long term the pensions are being "cut", by reducing elegibility, increasing employees contribution levels, eliminating parity, etc. As you said, nothing here is new. The system is already hosed, this new law changes almost nothing. The unions are correct in compaining because Richa is using the state pensions funds to bail himself out of the fiscal hole he dig.

What i'm nitpicking is exactly that this new law does almost nothing in the larger scheme of reducing state employees benefits. Even if you gave 14 billion to paraná previdencia instead of taking it, in the long run the system will still be in trouble, because the state would still be responsible for paying 70 billion to the financial fund. Even if paraná magically solved their problems, all the other state and municipal pension funds (excluding the handful of new states created after the constitution and a handful of well managed municipal systems created after 1998) are also broken, with the vast majority of the employees attached to the paygo fund. The actuarial deficit of these systems are unsurmontable, and the only question is how long it will take for a new contitutional reform changing the system.

My point is that this new law is not the final straw that will suddenly trigger massive pension cuts. The system will keep working, with a smaller surplus in the capitalized fund and a slightly smaller deficit in the paygo fund, no retiree will lose their benefits, nobody will notice anything.

The constitution will eventually be changed either because the annual Mayor's March to Brasilia will demand it to avoid a bunch of smaller municipalities from going broke, or because the narrative of "state employees are a privileged class, why should they get larger benefits than private employees, MY TAXES!!!" will win out.

If you ask me, there is a magic bullet: transfer all the state assets to the pension funds, and raise taxes.

Also, EC41 art. 4º instituted retirees contributions on every level (federal, state and municipal). Some states and cities, like paraná and rio de janeiro, sued the federal government to not institute these contributions. You might also want to take a look at the PEC 555/06, which might be put up to vote this year, which if approved will either eliminate or gradually reduce these contributions.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
An american citizen was arrested in Mexico City with several weapons and more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition in his car. He claims they were for hunting :haw: (couldn't find another link in english):

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/world/americas/story/mexico-arrests-us-man-array-armed-weapons-ammunition-his-car-20150504

The same weekend a Mexican Army helicopter is shot down by an RPG-7 in the state of Jalisco, killing 6 people on board:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/05/world/americas/toll-climbs-to-6-in-mexican-helicopter-downing.html?_r=0

This is further increasing the pressure on the Mexican government to demand some answers from the US, as most weapons used by cartels come from there.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

El Chingon posted:

An american citizen was arrested in Mexico City with several weapons and more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition in his car. He claims they were for hunting :haw: (couldn't find another link in english):

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/world/americas/story/mexico-arrests-us-man-array-armed-weapons-ammunition-his-car-20150504

The same weekend a Mexican Army helicopter is shot down by an RPG-7 in the state of Jalisco, killing 6 people on board:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/05/world/americas/toll-climbs-to-6-in-mexican-helicopter-downing.html?_r=0

This is further increasing the pressure on the Mexican government to demand some answers from the US, as most weapons used by cartels come from there.

How on earth do you see that further increasing pressure? An RPG-7 obviously isn't related to U.S. guns being re-routed to Mexico, and the dude in the other article looks a lot more like a genuine moron than a cartel smuggler, unless there has been an uptick in drug related crossbowings I'm unaware of.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I hear the Mexican government is declaring all out war on the new cartel, because that worked out so well last time.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

LGD posted:

How on earth do you see that further increasing pressure? An RPG-7 obviously isn't related to U.S. guns being re-routed to Mexico, and the dude in the other article looks a lot more like a genuine moron than a cartel smuggler, unless there has been an uptick in drug related crossbowings I'm unaware of.

It is the first time a helicopter is shot down by a rocket during the drug war, so this is moving the public opinion towards violence further escalating. The link is a little bit old:

http://world.time.com/2012/10/25/mexicos-drug-lords-ramp-up-their-arsenals-with-rpgs/

but the government claimed in 2012 that 68% out of 100,000 weapons were traced back to the U.S. The RPGs are probably coming from Central America, but still, this has been a topic everytime security officers from both countries meet. Not to mention that ATF scandal.

Regarding the guy arrested, what is he doing with all those weapons and ammo (in a car with license plates from Ohio), in Mexico City, a place not known for it's hunting fauna.

The US government could tell Mexico to go gently caress themselves if they didn't need them to police the borders (both with US and Guatemala) for any terrorists trying to get to the US.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Mexican government should probably just legalize the sale and distribution of all drugs straight up, because it's 100% the United States' fault that this is a thing and would shift the problem entirely onto us

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Unrelated but it reminds me of that one time in a 20th Century Politics class where they showed a video of ISIS using T55s and other Soviet equipment and the professor claiming "See? American equipment denotes this as a false flag operation of sorts".

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

El Chingon posted:

It is the first time a helicopter is shot down by a rocket during the drug war, so this is moving the public opinion towards violence further escalating. The link is a little bit old:

http://world.time.com/2012/10/25/mexicos-drug-lords-ramp-up-their-arsenals-with-rpgs/

but the government claimed in 2012 that 68% out of 100,000 weapons were traced back to the U.S. The RPGs are probably coming from Central America, but still, this has been a topic everytime security officers from both countries meet. Not to mention that ATF scandal.

Regarding the guy arrested, what is he doing with all those weapons and ammo (in a car with license plates from Ohio), in Mexico City, a place not known for it's hunting fauna.

The US government could tell Mexico to go gently caress themselves if they didn't need them to police the borders (both with US and Guatemala) for any terrorists trying to get to the US.

I'm perfectly aware of the issue (and the Mexican governments claims, the issues with those claims, and Fast & Furious, etc.), it's just that you picked something like the worst possible articles as a jumping off point for discussing the issue. The RPG very clearly cannot have anything to do with the claimed U.S. gun supply issue, and the while I cannot fathom the mental processes of someone who illegally takes weapons across international borders, there is no information contained in the article that makes that particular collection of firearms and ammunition implausible things to have in your car for purposes of hunting (and target shooting). The article is sparse on details, and while it's pretty obviously smuggling if the majority of the rounds were 5.56/7.62/etc. the lack of detail also means that it's very likely "more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition" translates into "some shotgun shells and a few bricks of .22lr." If I was going to discuss the issue I'd at least choose an article where the connection to the cartels and ongoing violence in Mexico is obvious/proven, and not a vague article that has a better than even chance of being about some shithead who thought driving to Mexico City on a bender with his hunting gear in his trunk was a swell idea.

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 5, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Azran posted:

Unrelated but it reminds me of that one time in a 20th Century Politics class where they showed a video of ISIS using T55s and other Soviet equipment and the professor claiming "See? American equipment denotes this as a false flag operation of sorts".

Is this the same professor that told you Hitler died in Argentina?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Is this the same professor that told you Hitler died in Argentina?

Nah, different one. That was a the History of Social Processes professor. This one was a Geo-Political professor :v:

Anyways, on topic now - I've spent quite a bit of my free time lately reading on the regimes with horrible human rights records, namely Stalinist Soviet Russia and North Korea. I've heard enough about the Venezuelan shitshow in the Venezuelan Politics therad, but what about Cuba? How totalitarian has Castro's regimen been? Is it closer to China's "yeah we don't really care about human rights and democracy but we are pretty functional" than Venezuela's "oh god everything falling apart"?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Whenever I feel disillusioned with PT and I think that they might not be so different from PSDB after all, PSDB goes and reminds me of how loving terrible they are.

PSDB-Sao Paulo has just decided to name Coronel Telhada to the state's human rights commission. Telhada personally claims to have killed 36 people, has been arrested for police brutality some 7 or 8 times, increased the number of people killed by ROTA (a notably violent branch of the Sao Paulo police) by over 60% when he became their commander, and is someone who has been generally known to be a racist piece of poo poo who threatens journalists who bring up his many, many abuses and reprimands.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

joepinetree posted:

Whenever I feel disillusioned with PT and I think that they might not be so different from PSDB after all, PSDB goes and reminds me of how loving terrible they are.

PSDB-Sao Paulo has just decided to name Coronel Telhada to the state's human rights commission. Telhada personally claims to have killed 36 people, has been arrested for police brutality some 7 or 8 times, increased the number of people killed by ROTA (a notably violent branch of the Sao Paulo police) by over 60% when he became their commander, and is someone who has been generally known to be a racist piece of poo poo who threatens journalists who bring up his many, many abuses and reprimands.

Well something tells me the PSDB voter base would love to vote for Capitão Nascimento. The party leadership's just giving the people what they want.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

The Mexican government should probably just legalize the sale and distribution of all drugs straight up, because it's 100% the United States' fault that this is a thing and would shift the problem entirely onto us

Wouldn't really solve the problem since the drugs are mainly going to the US and it'd still be illegal to ship drugs there.

Also a lot of what the cartels sell aren't really stuff that is looking to be legalized (i.e., cocaine and meth).

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Azran posted:

Nah, different one. That was a the History of Social Processes professor. This one was a Geo-Political professor :v:

Please tell me that at least this is one of those universities that have massive absenteeism and only 5% of people end up graduating (presumably you).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Please tell me that at least this is one of those universities that have massive absenteeism and only 5% of people end up graduating (presumably you).

Kinda, yeah. My province (La Pampa) loses inhabitants every single year because people go outside to get some actual choice in their university education and never bother to come back. And I can't blame them! Saddest part is, most people who graduate from my university are either teachers or lawyers. (And some accountants, I suppose)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So apparently the right has accused Lula of confessing the Mensalão crimes to Pepe Mujica, except that Mujica went on record to deny it. How long until one of these guys gets hit with a calumny process?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Which only highlights how absolutely terrible the Brazilian media is. This month we've learned that Aecio kept using the governor's jet to fly to the airports (2, not 1) that he built with public money near his farms long after he no longer was governor. We also learned that the companies involved in the Petrobras scandal were responsible for a bigger share of his election funding than that of Dilma's. But all of that is of course relegated to the back pages of newspapers. Meanwhile "Senate wants to hear Mujica because of rumors Lula confirmed knowing about mensalao" is headlines everywhere. The teflon surrounding Aecio is the most remarkable thing I've ever seen. Him or his group have been linked to the murder of a model in the late 1990s because she supposedly knew of the mensalao mineiro. He beat his then girlfriend (now wife) in public. He was caught drunk driving. He was personally named in the petrobras scandal. He built two airports with public money near his farms while governor (and gave the keys to relatives), and kept using the state owned jet even when he no longer was governor. He has sued google to prevent it from showing search results that linked him to drugs, and sued twitter to learn the identities of those who linked him to drugs. One of his top allies owned a helicopter caught carrying almost half a ton of cocaine.

And yet top stories this past couple of weeks involve Revista Epoca (owned by globo) accusing Lula of using BNDES money to finance the Caracas subway (which happened, but in 2001) and bizarrely writing an editorial from the point of view of a pan, O Globo talking about how Lula and Dilma barely talked to each other at a wedding, Folha accusing Dilma's campaign of receiving money from one of the companies involved in the Petrobras scandal (you'd have to go to the back pages to learn that they donated nearly identical amounts to Aecio), and the whole Mujica business. It is clear that they've realized that Lula would still win in a landslide if he were to run in 2018.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Azran posted:

Protip: Geo-politics is not academically rigorous and should literally never be taught as a class by itself unless it some weird hybrid course.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Yesterday students, teachers, and other sympathizers marched in San Juan, Puerto Rico to protest proposed budget cuts to the University of Puerto Rico. There aren't a lot of unbiased articles on the subject, since most of the newspapers on the island are loving rags, but here's some that I could find:
http://www.plenglish.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3799631&Itemid=1
(Spanish) http://www.holaciudad.com/miles-universitarios-protestan-contra-recorte-presupuestario-prico-n584817
(Spanish) http://www.telesurtv.net/news/Policia-arremete-contra-estudiantes-en-Puerto-Rico-20150513-0140.html

Some photos that popped up on Twitter:

FYI, the building in the background is La Fortaleza, the governor's residence.

Capitol building in the background.

"An education is like an erection; if you have one, it's noticeable"

Bear in mind that four years ago another major student protest, this time over tuition hikes, was violently suppressed by then-governor Luis Fortuño. He (rightfully, IMO) got shitcanned in the 2012 election (although he lost by a very close margin :cripes:) so I'm a bit curious to see how the new guy, Alejandro García Padilla, is going to react. Especially since he's up for re-election next year.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

El Chingon posted:

Oh yeah, a lot of weapons and ammo come from the U.S. Just go to a gun show in Texas and look at the license plates in the parking lot. You'll see Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas, Coahuila, etc. Not saying it's all cartel-related or whatever, but it's also "c'mon," because some of it clearly is. There are gun traffickers from all over the world operating in the U.S. and using the gun market here as their base of supply. But Guatemala is the place for RPGs, grenades, general-purpose machine guns and the like. It gets trafficked away from the military.

The CJNG is an odd duck. Very well-armed, very regional. They actually make their own AR-type rifles, believe it or not. They're widely blamed for standing up paramilitary groups like the Mata Zetas and beefing with other cartels while putting out statements about protecting "the people." Which isn't that crazy, considering how awful the Mexican police can be.

The helicopter was a big deal, but it followed an ambush where something like more than dozen Mexican security troops died on the highway to Puerto Vallarta. There was another ambush in Guadalajara. I wonder why the situation deteriorated so badly in the past few weeks.

icantfindaname posted:

The problem is that you can't legalize kidnapping and extortion.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Azran posted:

Anyways, on topic now - I've spent quite a bit of my free time lately reading on the regimes with horrible human rights records, namely Stalinist Soviet Russia and North Korea. I've heard enough about the Venezuelan shitshow in the Venezuelan Politics therad, but what about Cuba? How totalitarian has Castro's regimen been? Is it closer to China's "yeah we don't really care about human rights and democracy but we are pretty functional" than Venezuela's "oh god everything falling apart"?
Well, Cuba has good and bad.

The good is that it could never be as bad as the Eastern European and Asian totalitarian regimes because the country is way too beautiful, and the Cubans never demolished all the old buildings to make way for Borg-like monumentalism. There's also different kinds of repression -- and Cuba is probably way less repressed in terms of gender and race than many other countries in the world. You're not going to get thrown in a forced-labor camp for having a counter-revolutionary haircut or wearing the wrong clothes like in North Korea. It's not even in the same universe as a Saudi Arabia. Crime is far, far lower than many other countries in the region. So yeah, it's not all bad. It's falling apart but it's doing so extremely slowly.

Cuba is stagnant.

The bad is that it's the most repressive country in the Western Hemisphere by far. I'd describe Cuba as like 5 percent tropical resort and everything outside of that is tropical East Germany that's very gradually moving toward a Chinese/Vietnamese model. Outside of the tourist sectors that most outsiders see, the country is poor, run-down and kind of bombed-out looking with people living on $20 equivalent per month. It has a huge problem with prostitution. It has a secret police system probably on par with East Germany. But it's also less overtly repressive in keeping people in because it's an island -- so they just outlaw private ownership of boats.

Brutal North Korean-style repression doesn't exist there because it doesn't have to. Cubans can't escape unless they go over the water. It's far more difficult to smuggle stuff into the country compared to just hopping over a land border. The only TV is state-owned or imported from Venezuela. There's no internet practically to speak of, the internet that does exist is monitored and restricted, nor could most Cubans afford it. I couldn't imagine an East German-style popular uprising or political crisis because the country isn't connected by land and most economic and political activity is kept on lockdown. So people keep their heads down and go about their lives or wait until they can jump ship to Miami.

You wouldn't want to live there, suffice to say. But it's not a psychotic North Korean style freakshow that people go just to gawk at.

People who defend the Cuban system point to countries like Honduras (which is seriously hosed) as a way of saying Cuba is OK. But these are very different countries, and Cuba should be far wealthier than it is. Before the revolution, Cuba was one of the wealthiest countries in the hemisphere ... and one of the most unequal. Hence why there was a revolution. But the communist system did not make everyone rich; it just made the country artificially poor.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 15, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Omi-Polari posted:

The good is that it could never be as bad as the Eastern European and Asian totalitarian regimes because the country is way too beautiful, and the Cubans never demolished all the old buildings to make way for Borg-like monumentalism. There's also different kinds of repression -- and Cuba is probably way less repressed in terms of gender and race than many other countries in the world. You're not going to get thrown in a forced-labor camp for having a counter-revolutionary haircut or wearing the wrong clothes like in North Korea. It's not even in the same universe as a Saudi Arabia. Crime is far, far lower than many other countries in the region. So yeah, it's not all bad. It's falling apart but it's doing so extremely slowly.

Cuba is stagnant.

The bad is that it's the most repressive country in the Western Hemisphere by far. I'd describe Cuba as like 5 percent tropical resort and everything outside of that is tropical East Germany that's very gradually moving toward a Chinese/Vietnamese model. Outside of the tourist sectors that most outsiders see, the country is poor, run-down and kind of bombed-out looking with people living on $20 equivalent per month. It has a huge problem with prostitution. It has a secret police system probably on par with East Germany. But it's also less overtly repressive in keeping people in because it's an island -- so they just outlaw private ownership of boats.

Brutal North Korean-style repression doesn't exist there because it doesn't have to. Cubans can't escape unless they go over the water. It's far more difficult to smuggle stuff into the country compared to just hopping over a land border. The only TV is state-owned or imported from Venezuela. There's no internet practically to speak of, the internet that does exist is monitored and restricted, nor could most Cubans afford it. I couldn't imagine an East German-style popular uprising or political crisis because the country isn't connected by land and most economic and political activity is kept on lockdown. So people keep their heads down and go about their lives or wait until they can jump ship to Miami.

You wouldn't want to live there, suffice to say. But it's not a psychotic North Korean style freakshow that people go just to gawk at.

People who defend the Cuban system point to countries like Honduras (which is seriously hosed) as a way of saying Cuba is OK. But these are very different countries, and Cuba should be far wealthier than it is. Before the revolution, Cuba was one of the wealthiest countries in the hemisphere ... and one of the most unequal. Hence why there was a revolution. But the communist system did not make everyone rich; it just made the country artificially poor.

How's the public infrastructure systems, if you don't mind me asking? A lot of hard-left leaning acquaintances of mine seem to think the healthcare system in Cuba is pretty solid, for instance. As a Brazilian, sometimes it's kinda hard to have a fair view of our neighbouring countries and Latin-American neighbours, and the info we get is either "HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THOSE POORS/COMMUNIST HELLHOLES" from mainstream media or, if you had a Social/Humanes Sciences education, "EVERYONE IS LYING GLORY BE UNTO THE SOCIALIST REVOLUTION". I know Cuba isn't North Korea levels of hosed, and Venezuela is...interesting, but it's hard to get a fair look at those places.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

Cuba is stagnant.

Thank you for this. Interesting, and I never stopped to think something as minor as outlawing private ownership of boats would be as important for the regime as it currently is.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

This is the actual 404 page in PT website http://www.pt.org.br/adsasdasdasda

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Owns.

Has the impeachment fever died down, or are people still talking about it?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So I have this crusty old geography professor who says that he fled Nazi Germany as a child and went to Argentina to go live on a farm until the 1950's when he emigrated here to go to college.
Could someone give the low down on what Argentina was like during the war and what life was like in the immediate post-war years?
I understand that there were some Nazi sympathies and dictatorships and that Peron was elected in the aftermath but I never really got a good lesson in what it was like...

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Lawman 0 posted:

So I have this crusty old geography professor who says that he fled Nazi Germany as a child and went to Argentina to go live on a farm until the 1950's when he emigrated here to go to college.
Could someone give the low down on what Argentina was like during the war and what life was like in the immediate post-war years?
I understand that there were some Nazi sympathies and dictatorships and that Peron was elected in the aftermath but I never really got a good lesson in what it was like...

Thou it would be nigh impossible for someone who was alive and sentient during the time to post something from that era here, Argentina was pretty pro-nazi during the first years of the war. Peron had his sympathies, thou most importantly he worked in Italy during Mussolini's regime. He loved the italian dictator's way of manipulating the masses. This ended up in him bringin populism over here, and is the main cause for us Argies to continue to suffer populism up to this day. Argentina's international stance was 'neutral' though, and we sold food to the european countries for a good part of the conflict.

The biggest theater / arena in Buenos Aires is the Luna Park. Here are some photos taken on the 10th of April, 1938. It was the biggest Nazi celebration outside of Europe.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Yggdrassil posted:

Thou it would be nigh impossible for someone who was alive and sentient during the time to post something from that era here, Argentina was pretty pro-nazi during the first years of the war. Peron had his sympathies, thou most importantly he worked in Italy during Mussolini's regime. He loved the italian dictator's way of manipulating the masses. This ended up in him bringin populism over here, and is the main cause for us Argies to continue to suffer populism up to this day. Argentina's international stance was 'neutral' though, and we sold food to the european countries for a good part of the conflict.

What do you see "populism" as? The way you talk about it makes it seem like some definable ideology, and I've never heard anyone talk about it that way.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Badger of Basra posted:

What do you see "populism" as? The way you talk about it makes it seem like some definable ideology, and I've never heard anyone talk about it that way.

It's complicated, since populism in Latin America changes shape depending on the country you analize. In Argentina, we observe populism during Peron's administration and check certain facts about it, te most important being:

-A cult of personality, in which the leader is a saviour who's at the vanguard of 'progress' and that stands against a certain enemy. Peron was regarded, in Evita's words 'Almost as a god to all of us'. Mother's taught childred to shout his name from the craddle to the grave.

-An artificial 'good vs evil' mentality impossed by the leader, in which said leader nominates a common enemy (or enemies) that are 'guilty of most if not all problems in our society'. During the Peron administration, these were usually the USA, the communists, the rebel militia we call 'montoneros', the burghers, etc.

-A massive takeover of the media, which is used by the leader to indoctrinate the population. During Peron's administration, about 95% of Argentinian media was in Peron's control, and it was used thoroughly to indoctrinate people. Furthermore, school's textbooks were changed to include imagery depicting Peron and Evita, endlessly showing them as the loving parents of the nation (here's a nice compilation of images from those textbooks. They're in spanish, of course, but are interesting to check: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EfG30cVpXk)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It always creeps me out that whenever I read a book on Stalin's regime or North Korea's... well, everything, it reminds me of my own country's fixation with Peron. :(

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
It's autocratic nationalism. Perón is like Getúlio Vargas and many other big paternal autocrats who emerged in the 30's, modern queens and kings who took over the state and used it as a brainwashing machine on the masses. They fit the right kind of political hole left by the 30's worldwide depression, firmly backing/backed by landowners and industrial elite, using the middle class as state tools and giving the masses a national identity and the whole range of fabricated "traditions" that come with it, as well as a hell of a show in public spectacles and (mostly fabricated) incredible political stunts. Property system keeps going, expansion in national industry and state bureaucracy jobs and everyone has a benevolent loving father in their life, who hosts public games for his children. It's creepy as all hell, but the leader cult and new state occupations were it's self-generated political legs, and the situation satisfied the conservative political nexus of religious authority, military establishment and reactionary old elite enough that most collaborated or left only muffled reproach.

In other news, the prime-minister of China who is in Brazil for the week, announced the establishment of 53 billion dollars in economic deals between the two countries, the crown jewel being Ferrovia Transoceánica, a 10 billion dollar railway project linking the Brazilian interior to a port in Peru and increasing trade in pacific markets. It's nice being propped up :v:

Not sure on how the negotiations with Peru as going, or how is the media repercussion there.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Badger of Basra posted:

Owns.

Has the impeachment fever died down, or are people still talking about it?

Not so much. The whole thing seems to have lost its momentum.

Kim Kataguri (from MBL) is still walking to Brasilia, though.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

bagual posted:

It's autocratic nationalism. Perón is like Getúlio Vargas and many other big paternal autocrats who emerged in the 30's, modern queens and kings who took over the state and used it as a brainwashing machine on the masses. They fit the right kind of political hole left by the 30's worldwide depression, firmly backing/backed by landowners and industrial elite, using the middle class as state tools and giving the masses a national identity and the whole range of fabricated "traditions" that come with it, as well as a hell of a show in public spectacles and (mostly fabricated) incredible political stunts. Property system keeps going, expansion in national industry and state bureaucracy jobs and everyone has a benevolent loving father in their life, who hosts public games for his children. It's creepy as all hell, but the leader cult and new state occupations were it's self-generated political legs, and the situation satisfied the conservative political nexus of religious authority, military establishment and reactionary old elite enough that most collaborated or left only muffled reproach.

Ultimately it was successive simply because participatory politics were historically largely suppressed, and the previous "old regimes" (for example the Cafe com leite system) did little to actually involve the country much if at all in politics. The irony is after Peron you had an authoritarian military regime and that if anything involved the public even less. A similar course was set in Brazil after Kubitschek.

More or less strongmen like Peron and Vargas were so powerful because leftist politics have been so truncated in the first place which left a yawning gap in the political progress, and instead of a strong social-democratic tradition it left a choice between various types of rightists. That said, I see why populism had so much power and still has it, simply because there are really no options on the table on the table. However, it is more than simply "brainwashing" the same time.

Even in present-day Argentina and Brazil, I don't see good alternatives in the political system and in many ways populism exists because the class and racial dynamics (especially in Brazil) never changed.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 19, 2015

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
From my point of view, Peron and his brethren were an answer to the rising socialism/communism that happened in LA (and the rest of the world) in the first half of the 20th Century. As much as people hate him, many of the social achievements we take for granted were originally started during one of Peron's mandates: work regulations, aguinaldo, vacations, divorce law, further separation of State and Church (took some burning tho'), women suffrage, etc. All that along some of the better economic times in the country. Did he do it to appease the unwashed worker masses and not out of a sincere belief? Sure, but maybe the ends justify the means. He wasn't the president we deserved but the one we needed, or some other bullshit.

As I've said before, in Argentina (or maybe the world at large), there is a very strong us vs them mentality. You are either for Peron, and thus a dirty peronist who wants to nationalize everything and give free money to those smelly poors; or against him, and thus a dirty gorila that only wants cheap dollars to go vacation in Miami and send your spoiled kids to private schools. There really is no middle ground in peoples' minds. In my opinion, Peron did some good things and bad things. I don't like his handless zombie corpse still rotting our politics and stalking in the background, but neither do I want to damnatio memoriae his legacy.

E: Quoting this again because it applies and it's still too accurate

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

God gave every Argentine three virtues, from which he could choose any two: intelligence, honesty, and peronism

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What's this I hear about building a mall in the Brazilian congress?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Markovnikov posted:

From my point of view, Peron and his brethren were an answer to the rising socialism/communism that happened in LA (and the rest of the world) in the first half of the 20th Century. As much as people hate him, many of the social achievements we take for granted were originally started during one of Peron's mandates: work regulations, aguinaldo, vacations, divorce law, further separation of State and Church (took some burning tho'), women suffrage, etc. All that along some of the better economic times in the country. Did he do it to appease the unwashed worker masses and not out of a sincere belief? Sure, but maybe the ends justify the means. He wasn't the president we deserved but the one we needed, or some other bullshit.

As I've said before, in Argentina (or maybe the world at large), there is a very strong us vs them mentality. You are either for Peron, and thus a dirty peronist who wants to nationalize everything and give free money to those smelly poors; or against him, and thus a dirty gorila that only wants cheap dollars to go vacation in Miami and send your spoiled kids to private schools. There really is no middle ground in peoples' minds. In my opinion, Peron did some good things and bad things. I don't like his handless zombie corpse still rotting our politics and stalking in the background, but neither do I want to damnatio memoriae his legacy.

Ultimately Peronism still is around because quite simply there isn't the possibility of the necessary political compromise to kill it, if sustainable reformism happened in a more democratic form than people would quickly forget about Peronism. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be the real possibility for this happening any time soon. In Brazil you could say it look like it was working under the PT, and at the same time recent events have opened up more questions not just about the PT but the ultimate sustainability of the political process as a whole in Brazil.

That said, I have a hard time necessarily condemning parts of the public for supporting Peron even in a "creepy" fashion simply because has filled in such a political vacuum in Argentina and it was more than brainwashing (which implies there wasn't honest consent from their side).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Badger of Basra posted:

What's this I hear about building a mall in the Brazilian congress?

One of the fiscal adjustment measures adopted by the federal government in the beggining of this year was a change in some federal taxes. This change was made by an executive order (called "Medida Provisória", or provisional measure), which is essentially a law that takes effect immediately, but that has to be approved by the congress in 90 days or it fizzles.

The congressmen decided to add a couple of extra articles in the final law, including the autorization for the congress to make a public-private partnership for the construction of a new annex building to the congress.

There's also new tax breaks for religious entities, because why not?