Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Carbine finally announced the "special surprise" that was supposed to follow after the long maintenance. I hope you guys are ready, this is going to turn the tables on the TROLLS and HATERS who are giving wildstar one star yelp reviews.

WildStar is a national treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Suitaru posted:

is this an actual screenshot because every time I see this thing it unnerves me deeply

he is my wildstar character and he is beautiful

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Deki posted:

Organized? Yeah, definitely. But there are a lot of people who like open world stuff and that's not an itch you can scratch in any other genre yet really.

yeah because that itch is being an unfair noncompetitive farce for addicts to feel tough and cool

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Evil Mastermind posted:

WildStar is a national treasure.

quote:

The subscription model isn't the problem... millions of players are willing to pay monthly for a game they like.

The game isn't the problem... look how much praise the game gets from being great and improved.

So what does that leave? I'm not going to say it.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
The problem is Wildstar kicked out all of the casuals you'd usually be lording over in other MMOs.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Belzac posted:

The surprise is that the game is still running. Surprise!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Next thing you know they'll be giving out hundred-dollar dolphins to try to bring back players who had quit, ala Archeage.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Mercury_Storm posted:

Next thing you know they'll be giving out hundred-dollar dolphins to try to bring back players who had quit, ala Archeage.

Just wait...

And isn't that vanity pet just a regular mob with some random poo poo tacked on?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Haha where is that quote from?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Anoia posted:

Just wait...

And isn't that vanity pet just a regular mob with some random poo poo tacked on?

Sure looks like it. It looks like they just took the base model and added a "wacky" helmet and laser claw.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Didn't someone make a joke recently about Carbine making a last minute request to the art department to create a mount or pet because the Steam announcement was spoiled?

Never shutdown Wildstar. May your servers live forever.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Hahaha, that vanity pet. No one plays this loving game; just put a deep sea helmet on a wolf, call it a day. Stick some tubes and poo poo in there, too.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Verranicus posted:

I know an Olivar quote when I see one.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Thunderbro posted:

yeah because that itch is being an unfair noncompetitive farce for addicts to feel tough and cool

You know you're a loser when you hold a grudge about other MMO players beating you.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Verranicus posted:

The F2P thread on the wildstar forums. It's great. The yelp reviews thing is even better:

quote:

(Super long "What if an MMO is like a hotel and has good breakfast but a bad valet???" analogy snipped) -msw
If Wildstar in its current state was worth 15$ a month, people from other MMOs would be flocking to it. If it was hands down, the best hotel to stay at, people would flock to it.
The people (subscribers) have spoken. It is not.

quote:

At the risk of upsetting your colorful analogy, WildStar has had the equivalent of a Yelp-war waged on it since the week of launch.
It might be the best drat hotel on the freaking PLANET, but thanks to them making people upset a year ago, this hotel (despite it's four-star rating) has been held hostage by the internet trolls and haters.
In short, for all the lovely landscaping, workout room, valet service, continental breakfasts and cable channels, this hotel will never again be as popular as it should be, due to poor reviews that started 12 months ago. This hotel might have cleaned up every single thing that irritated those first visitors after it opened it's door, but many people will never know, because they won't come and visit so long as the hotel won't let them in for free.

The next big thing is apparently the loot from "Contracts." People are alleging that Carbine advertised it as equal to starting-level raid gear, and it has the same ilvl as starting level raid gear, but statwise it is outclassed by drops from dungeons. :smaug:

CoffeeBooze posted:

I know an Olivar quote when I see one.

Close, it was Lethality!

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 19, 2015

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
The comparison to Amy's Baking Company is spot on.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Carbine finally announced the "special surprise" that was supposed to follow after the long maintenance. I hope you guys are ready, this is going to turn the tables on the TROLLS and HATERS who are giving wildstar one star yelp reviews.

They really did just overlay some crap onto a random mob :stare: Why did nobody ever make a :carbine: for these occasions?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Bombogenesis posted:

They really did just overlay some crap onto a random mob :stare: Why did nobody ever make a :carbine: for these occasions?

:protogas:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Bombogenesis posted:

They were too busy buying people avatars?

And to torture that hotel metaphor a little more, the wildstar true believers are lying on flimsy mattresses, a popped spring digging in to their collective backsides, bedbugs gnawing on their skin... but it's 5 stars because it kinda reminds them of a hotel they stayed at as a kid. It was awesome then, it's awesome now. The haters will never understand. :shepface:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I like that they can still be deluded enough to think it's a good game at this point. Must take dedication.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Bombogenesis posted:

:mediocre: works I guess.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Oh cool, now we have two threads about terrible, lovely nerd games that can use the "I :h: MY TINY hosed UP WOLF" gangtag.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Bombogenesis posted:

Blizzard keeps slightly recoloring already existing mounts for WoD so it must be a good strategy right?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
My first thought when I looked at that wolf is what a sad pathetic creature that is only alive because of half rear end life support measures. And well, I'm pretty sure you can guess the punchline that followed.

Also, Aurin forever.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't understand why so many games place pleasant/fast out-of-combat travel at such a loving premium. Oh here's a horse that you can buy that runs 15% faster than walking nice.

TERA has like doubled/tripled movement speed outside of combat as a feature for all classes straight out of the gate and it's such a nice thing.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
If I recall correctly, that "new" pet isn't even something they added crap to recently. I remember a quest in one of the early zones where you run around zapping those pumas and some other critter and upgrade them, for scince of course. It turns them into that.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Yeah, that pumera model with the tech on it is used in the game already. We had to use an existing asset and figured that one both met the standards of being a bit more interesting than the other pets and also had a rig that the artists were cool with using as a pet. Turnaround time is what it is.

The pet was always the "little surprise." The 17 hour NCSoft maintenance came with short notice and we wanted to give players something that wasn't more boomboxes. Even we know better. :v:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Cyster posted:

we wanted to give players something that wasn't more boomboxes. Even we know better. :v:

Were the cooldown on those removed? I think I got at least over a hundred and a half and opened 20 if even that.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Deki posted:

Were the cooldown on those removed? I think I got at least over a hundred and a half and opened 20 if even that.

Cooldown's still there. Heck, I still have 70+ of the things. I never remember.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I see the hate Wildstar gets from goons, so I need to ask: why, exactly, is the game so bad?

I'm a super casual player, just looking for an MMO to fill the time until Heavensward drops and I wanted to try the 10 day trial, but I would like to know why the hate? Is it just for stuff at endgame, or is the game somehow fundamentally flawed?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

bear is driving! posted:

I see the hate Wildstar gets from goons, so I need to ask: why, exactly, is the game so bad?

I'm a super casual player

The game was literally designed to express the maxiumum amount of hatred towards your demographic as possible

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

bear is driving! posted:

I'm a super casual player, just looking for an MMO to fill the time until Heavensward drops and I wanted to try the 10 day trial, but I would like to know why the hate? Is it just for stuff at endgame, or is the game somehow fundamentally flawed?

If nothing else it will make you appreciate FFXIV and Heavensward even more when it comes out.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bear is driving! posted:

you have to speedrun a dungeon in under 90 minutes to progress. This is not a generous amount of time for that dungeon.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mizuti posted:

The comparison to Amy's Baking Company is spot on.

When he said "yelp war" I instantly went to kitchen nightmares too. I feel like Gordon Ramsay should be involved at this point.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

bear is driving! posted:

If you can try it for free, do it. It's probably going to not be your cup of tea (it's a trainwreck with a few things done well), but I don't think anyone ITT besides cyster has even played it in the last 10 months or so, They could have made QoL changes but I haven't been following it at all.

I don't even feel like most of the goons hate wildstar as much as they like talking about how great their own MMOs of choice are tbh.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Deki posted:

I don't even feel like most of the goons hate wildstar as much as they like talking about how great their own MMOs of choice are tbh.

It's more that Wildstar is the North Korea of MMOs. The poor saps that are still left are brainwashed and Carbine keeps going "Yeah, of course everything is great! WE love you, unlike those CASUAL games like WoW..." Meanwhile the entire rest of the world looks on and simultaneously feels pity and gets a laugh at just how completely absurd they're being.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Deki posted:

If you can try it for free, do it. It's probably going to not be your cup of tea (it's a trainwreck with a few things done well), but I don't think anyone ITT besides cyster has even played it in the last 10 months or so, They could have made QoL changes but I haven't been following it at all.

I'm on the free trial at the moment, and yeah, bear, go ahead and give the trial a shot. I've run into multiple bugs over the course of less than ten days so it sure isn't AMAZING, but questing in lowbie zones and playing with housing seems okay enough that I'd stick around if it didn't mean subbing.

That said I'm assuming "super casual" means "don't care about raiding" (I don't either) cause that is apparently where the worst poo poo is. Although having just googled it there was apparently a patch some months ago so that now you only have to complete dungeons instead of speedrunning them or whatever to get raid attuned. I guess that's better? Like I said, I don't know anything about that part of the game.

My friends that have played the game on and off have told me that various "make life less horrible" things I've noticed, like harvest nodes showing up on the map, are new.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Anatharon posted:

TERA has like doubled/tripled movement speed outside of combat as a feature for all classes straight out of the gate and it's such a nice thing.

Yeah I noticed that right away, and it doesn't gently caress around either, the instant combat is over it turns on.

bear is driving! posted:

for one thing it's so goddamn ugly it makes your eyes bleed

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
If I'm reading their forums correctly, Engineering pets now resummon when you dismount. I can not confirm this but if true this is a huge step forward Wildstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Flesh Forge posted:

for one thing it's so goddamn ugly it makes your eyes bleed

Wildstar has a lot of faults, but I can't really count its art style among them. I can understand it not being your cup of tea, but at least it has a consistent direction and they executed on it well, which is more than can be said for the rest of the game.

• Locked thread