Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Gruknor posted:

If anyone wants to level one of their jobs now is a great time. Just get the exp charge ring from the moogle. Go to escha-zitah, if you are 60-99 you should get decent exp and silt. 10 silt opens up the npc merchant to be nice enough to let you buy stuff from him for silt. 50 silt is how much the map key item costs. Silt is the currency for this zone, and it is a pain to farm for.

That ring is amazing, I went from 95-99 in like two hours in the fuckin' Wadi, because I knew the zone already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.
Are we talking about the login campaign ring?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Awesome OClock posted:

Are we talking about the login campaign ring?

No, it's the Adventurer Appreciation ring. It's a supercharged Emperor's basically, with unlimited charges (once every two hours). You also get a similar one for Capacity Points. Talk to the Moogle hanging out at the fountain in Bastok Markets, or in the other nations, no idea where.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Made a new character on Asura to check out the changes during the free week. Character is Kouhainoticer.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I really want to try doing more Escha NMs so if people are interested talk to me (Alanse). Most of the 119 stuff isn't too bad but we need a typical setup of a healer, support, tank, and dd so that we can get to tier 2 NMs that drop the Nibiru weapons.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Recent exp bonuses include:

- 100% boost from double exp campaign through the end of May (just automatic bonus)
- 90% boost from rhapsodies key items
- 150% boost from adventurer's appreciation ring (infinite charges)
- unknown boost from Kupofried trust from adventurer's appreciation event
- unknown boost from moghancement from clock from adventurer's appreciation event

So even (especially?) if you're a fresh newbie, go out and do this event. It'll help you level fast. Don't forget to pick up the other trusts/ciphers in the treasure chest next to one of the event moogles.

e: Tips for phase 2 of the event, fighting a behemoth:

- If there are very few people, like 1-2, consider doing the skillchains they want. Otherwise just wait for the objective to spam weapon skills, then have everyone do that.

- When it's time to DPS the thing after succeeding an objective, especially near the end so you don't have to worry about it dying when your buff is off (not getting credit), it'll give a warning message. Run 20 yalms away when you see that, wait for thunderbolt to go off, then run back in and resume pewpew. If you try to run when thunderbolt starts, you won't get near far enough away in time. It's possible to resist the thunderbolt's removal of your buff but you can't depend on that.

Vil fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 18, 2015

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

With the announcement to stop updating the game have they mentioned putting it as free to play yet because I would love to come back but gently caress paying for this game monthly..

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

Obscurity posted:

With the announcement to stop updating the game have they mentioned putting it as free to play yet because I would love to come back but gently caress paying for this game monthly..

They said they wouldn't make it go F2P, but I don't see how they can justify people paying for a game that no longer has updates. I'd be interested in a split subscription between XI and XIV.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Oh so another thing about that Rhapsodies quest, you get a key item that's some kind of Gilgamesh letter fairly early on. This lets you bypass getting the items for the subjob quest, you can just go pick up your subjob from the quest giver. Would have been nice to know this before I went out and got them :v: Some nice JP player even just up and insisted on helping me get the magicked skull even though it's totally soloable. Oh well that one limit break quest will be easier later on I guess.

The quest also teleports you to Norg, so that's yet another obnoxious unlock that's not a problem anymore.

The only really annoying thing so far is I was able to do missions solo until I hit I think it's 2-1 where you have to sneak past a bunch of stuff that aggros to level 99s and I couldn't afford oil/powder yet, but I found something that sells for good new player money so I can go back and do that next time I play

Speaking of: oh my loving god they finally added a price history when you sell an item it only took them a loving decade holy poo poo I'm going to cry

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Boten Anna posted:

Oh so another thing about that Rhapsodies quest, you get a key item that's some kind of Gilgamesh letter fairly early on. This lets you bypass getting the items for the subjob quest, you can just go pick up your subjob from the quest giver. Would have been nice to know this before I went out and got them :v: Some nice JP player even just up and insisted on helping me get the magicked skull even though it's totally soloable. Oh well that one limit break quest will be easier later on I guess.

The quest also teleports you to Norg, so that's yet another obnoxious unlock that's not a problem anymore.

The only really annoying thing so far is I was able to do missions solo until I hit I think it's 2-1 where you have to sneak past a bunch of stuff that aggros to level 99s and I couldn't afford oil/powder yet, but I found something that sells for good new player money so I can go back and do that next time I play

Speaking of: oh my loving god they finally added a price history when you sell an item it only took them a loving decade holy poo poo I'm going to cry

Getting the new KI's will unlock sales from a moogle. The one in port bastok is just outside the mog house, east of the other moogles. He sells oils/powders for 500gil each. Not sure if the first KI is enough or what, but yeah.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Valle posted:

Getting the new KI's will unlock sales from a moogle. The one in port bastok is just outside the mog house, east of the other moogles. He sells oils/powders for 500gil each. Not sure if the first KI is enough or what, but yeah.

KIs?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Key Items

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

What content level are Alluvion Skirmishes? They seem like a great way to get caught up on i119 armor and weapons fast.

Also, can someone give a first-hand explanation of how Yorcia Alluvion skirmishes work? Or rather, who's expected to do what and if these things are lowmannable (2-4 people).

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 19, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

My experiences so far with XI have felt a lot like playing XIV 1.2ish, where they had really done a good job polishing the turd and it's very shiny but it's still at its core an inaccessible mess that only appeals to the devoted. I've had a great time traipsing around and soloing things and bathing in xp, easy unlocks, warps, sparks, but I can't imagine explaining this game to my friends who never played, or them caring about it at all.

I always suspected the RoE and Trust and such was to prepare for an eventual single player version, and I wasn't too far off in that it seems to be geared toward the eventual mobile version. However, there's still a lot of work to do to make it a compelling product launch that appeals to people who didn't waste their adolescence on the game.

I get the feeling that they're going to do something of a mini-ARR for the mobile version. I predict the rank quests will be reworked into basically a main story quest that guides you through the game's systems and holds your hand through 99 and unlocking everything important. There will also be quest icons and a quest tracker, but with a more elaborate system of icons to indicate the kind of quest and its relative importance since they're less straightforward than the kind in WoW/XIV. Some kind of duty system might also be implemented for things like the rank 2 cap fight which would be retuned appropriately, and for various other content, complete with a roulette that gives good bonuses for helping out. The multiple, confusing layers of fast travel systems will probably be collapsed into just telepoints. They'll probably change the UI for skills significantly to resemble hotbar MMOs more.

The biggest danger of the moblie version I think is some sort of NGE thing that doesn't appeal to new or old players, but I have some faith that they'll be able to pull off something compelling and fun.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
The anniversary event is hot garbage focusing on a mechanic that 99% of the playerbase has ignored for the last three years, thanks SE :v:

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Fridurmus posted:

The anniversary event is hot garbage focusing on a mechanic that 99% of the playerbase has ignored for the last three years, thanks SE :v:

Get a big group and just ws until it is dead.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Eight-Six posted:

What content level are Alluvion Skirmishes? They seem like a great way to get caught up on i119 armor and weapons fast.

Also, can someone give a first-hand explanation of how Yorcia Alluvion skirmishes work? Or rather, who's expected to do what and if these things are lowmannable (2-4 people).

You can do yorcia alluvion as the book bitch with no ilvl gear and it's a fantastic way to get geared to 119 and swear at augments until you get the right ones.

how to book bitch: Sit at the book, wait for other people to kill things. you'll get a message about x number of pussiance being awarded.

Summon monsters: In the first level or two don't worry about worms, just summon 5 crabs and then colibris. Keep an eye on the marshland health, when it gets down to close to zero and you still have monsters out there attacking (you can see monster count between your side and their side in the top left) run to the marshland (follow the monsters you summon) and hit it. the last hit point can only be taken by a player. Once it's dead, wait for the conveyor to pop then tag it. That starts the next level.

In the higher levles, start with summoning 3-5 entozoons. They don't advance on the enemy but they stay at your base and protect your stronghold. Summon all crabs and the shinjin, then level the book to 2. Once it's leveled to 2, you can summon scorpions. that's really all you need, the rest of the units are crap.

If your stronghold hp drops below 40%, hit the fenstrel key in your inv and announce it to the pt.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

You can do yorcia alluvion as the book bitch with no ilvl gear and it's a fantastic way to get geared to 119 and swear at augments until you get the right ones.

how to book bitch: Sit at the book, wait for other people to kill things. you'll get a message about x number of pussiance being awarded.

Summon monsters: In the first level or two don't worry about worms, just summon 5 crabs and then colibris. Keep an eye on the marshland health, when it gets down to close to zero and you still have monsters out there attacking (you can see monster count between your side and their side in the top left) run to the marshland (follow the monsters you summon) and hit it. the last hit point can only be taken by a player. Once it's dead, wait for the conveyor to pop then tag it. That starts the next level.

In the higher levles, start with summoning 3-5 entozoons. They don't advance on the enemy but they stay at your base and protect your stronghold. Summon all crabs and the shinjin, then level the book to 2. Once it's leveled to 2, you can summon scorpions. that's really all you need, the rest of the units are crap.

If your stronghold hp drops below 40%, hit the fenstrel key in your inv and announce it to the pt.

In short, Yorcia alluvion is a MOBA where 5 players run around jungling but instead of exp they get points that can be used to spawn creeps. The 6th dude stays at book (at starting point/base) where you can spend book to spawn creeps. When enemy base is almost gone, a player has to finish it.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
If you have a really efficient kill crew just level to 3 and spawn your Shijin and spam books. Books take out everything in a few seconds up to and including Balamor. Do this anyway if your group has a SMN running interference with their avatar keeping poo poo away from your base.

I may be heading to Asura before transfer prices go back up, need to finish a few things on Odin first.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Is anyone else still not able to log in yet?

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Unity chat just flooded with people going all "FINALLY UGH COULDN'T LOG ON FOR 3HRS" and poo poo. Apparently a lot of people have had problem since maintenance...I sat down at PC 10min after maint was scheduled to end and logged right in. Dunno wtf happened. According to chat it seemed to affect a lot of NA players and some EU.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
I'm coming back. I had my fishing taru rdm lvl 55 called Laotzu on Midgard on SAGOONS.

I'm going to guess there's no reason nto transfer him? I would like to fish a bit maybe. So it's sad losing my lushangs.

I liked RDM before it turned into a healer .

What's a fun class to try instead?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

SoulChicken posted:

I'm coming back. I had my fishing taru rdm lvl 55 called Laotzu on Midgard on SAGOONS.

I'm going to guess there's no reason nto transfer him? I would like to fish a bit maybe. So it's sad losing my lushangs.

I liked RDM before it turned into a healer .

What's a fun class to try instead?

BST is cool

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
BLU is fun and I would recommend that if getting all the spells wasn't such a pain in the rear end.

RDM and SMN are my only 99 jobs but I think both are fun to play. Too bad they both suck.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The only major PITA spells for BLU are the ones from the wildskeeper reive bosses, because those require Organization and Scheduling and Other People. Everything else you should be able to solo pretty readily, or solo with trusts in the case of some Adoulin spells. Just make a priority list, e.g. a few spells that'll be handy to have as you level, then spells that are always in spell sets among max level BLUs, then spells that are sometimes in spell sets among max level BLUs, and then fill in the gaps of the less useful poo poo when you're bored.

Honestly I like them as a sort of extra thing-to-do. Plus they get bonus points for not costing an arm and a leg in gil, unlike say GEO.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

RDM doesn't actually suck. The new buffs/debuffs are a lot of fun to play with and push rdm back into a backup healer role.

I personally solo all over the place with rdm. Alluvion skirmish gear + temper + enspell + haste 2 = effective combat, finally.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm trying to decide what to "main", and although WAR is pretty cool it'd be nice to be the hotshit class of the moment for once (I regret being BLM instead of RDM back in the day). BLU sounds great for that, but I do love tanking in XIV/WoW so I'm curious if any tank classes are in demand. Additionally, what classes even ARE tank classes other than PLD and NIN? Also is DRK good yet?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

it'd be nice to be the hotshit class of the moment for once

Welcome to the wide, wide world of geomancy.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Tank classes are PLD NIN RUN but outside of a few ilvl130+ fights you don't really need tanks for anything (and tanking requires gear you don't have/don't want to put the effort into getting.)

Also play BST, the Ready changes moved it from a poo poo job to upper-tier (possibly #1) DD with only a handful of fairly easy to get pieces of gear once you have at least the 100 Job Point gift. You're basically a SMN that can do blood pacts every 10 seconds.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 20, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

CubsWoo posted:

Tank classes are PLD NIN RUN but outside of a few ilvl130+ fights you don't really need tanks for anything (and tanking requires gear you don't have/don't want to put the effort into getting.)

Also play BST, the Ready changes moved it from a poo poo job to upper-tier (possibly #1) DD with only a handful of fairly easy to get pieces of gear once you have at least the 100 Job Point gift. You're basically a SMN that can do blood pacts every 10 seconds.

And people actually take BST to party/group content now? :monocle:

Oh unrelated, is there a way to get a Peridot that doesn't require doing some crafting bullshit? It's the only Gobbiebag I item that doesn't seem to be in stock and is expensive besides.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

Oh unrelated, is there a way to get a Peridot that doesn't require doing some crafting bullshit? It's the only Gobbiebag I item that doesn't seem to be in stock and is expensive besides.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Peridot

There's a merchant in toau that sells it for 50kish, it also comes from a quest and some bcnms

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Peridot

There's a merchant in toau that sells it for 50kish, it also comes from a quest and some bcnms

50k is even worse than the auction house and like most of my money at this stage ugh

I wonder how long I could go treasure chest hunting in Castle Oztroja or Crawler's Nest or something before losing it.

E: Oh there is a quest that rewards it that seems annoying but much less so than opening like 20 treasure chests http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Beast_from_the_East

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 20, 2015

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

There is now a Peridot in your delivery box. Have fun!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I always wanted to play pally, but I've always been told that I need either an Aegis or an Ochain to not be poo poo and I'm just not going to do that.

RDM is really good for solo. It's a great job if you want to play casually and aren't into endgame stuff. Which is the best way to play, tbh.

The newest spell they added is a little insulting, though. Oh gee, a spell that powers up skillchains. And it doesn't work on self-skillchains. Thanks guys.

SMN is also fun and cooler than SMN in XIV by a fuckton. It's usefulness is pretty situational, though. And that's being generous.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

I always wanted to play pally, but I've always been told that I need either an Aegis or an Ochain to not be poo poo and I'm just not going to do that.

RDM is really good for solo. It's a great job if you want to play casually and aren't into endgame stuff. Which is the best way to play, tbh.

The newest spell they added is a little insulting, though. Oh gee, a spell that powers up skillchains. And it doesn't work on self-skillchains. Thanks guys.

SMN is also fun and cooler than SMN in XIV by a fuckton. It's usefulness is pretty situational, though. And that's being generous.

Does it work on Trust skillchains? Summon Ayame, chain all day.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

And people actually take BST to party/group content now? :monocle:

tfw you soloed bst to 75 in the boyahda tree.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

For anyone just returning/haven't bothered to look it up, here's everything you get for finishing the first 3 stages of Rhapsodies of Vana'diel (which a fresh returning L75 should be able to do in ~2 hours:)

- Permanent 90% bonus to XP/Limit Points
- 100% bonus to magic/combat skillups
- Fields of Valor buffs and Survival Guide teleportation costs halved
- Max Trusts out at once from 3 -> 4
- Home point teleportation cost from 500/1000 to 100/200
- Able to call Trusts in the L70 Maat/(insert ToAU/WoTG/SoA job) level cap fight
- Introduction of a Curio Vendor Moogle in starter towns that sells medicine, ammo, ninja tools, food, instant (x) scrolls and coffer keys
- 30% bonus to Unity accolades earned
- No more JP Midnight wait to re-enter Dynamis
- Assault tags refresh changed from 24 hours -> 10 minutes (effectively infinite tags)
- Einherjar lockout changed from 20 hours -> 1 hour
- Einherjar lamp cost changed from 60000 -> 1000
- Salvage permit refresh changed from JP Midnight -> 1 hour (Arrapago Remnants once-per-day restriction still in effect)
- Plates taken by ZNM lady changed from 10/day -> unlimited
- Salt cost to access T4 ZNM battlefields changed from 500 zeni -> 50

There will be additional KIs in August and November that will probably break the game a million other ways

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

That skillup bonus is no joke; between that and a couple stacks of books I'm drat near the cap on daggers.

I also leveled NIN from 24 to 49 in about 3 hours of total play. Madness. In all the 15 years this game existed, I have finally achieved NIN sub with enough levels to cast Utusemi: Ni.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Jedi425 posted:

That skillup bonus is no joke; between that and a couple stacks of books I'm drat near the cap on daggers.

I also leveled NIN from 24 to 49 in about 3 hours of total play. Madness. In all the 15 years this game existed, I have finally achieved NIN sub with enough levels to cast Utusemi: Ni.

congorats! Now what is your next goal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Welp, I'm playing this ridiculous game again, not that I know when I'm going to find the time to get anything accomplished. (In as Portario; thanks for the pearl, homies.)

And for some reason I decided to read this loving insane, horrible thread: http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/46528/are-men-going-their-own-way-mgtow

I just wanted to share my pain.