Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zoness posted:

aren't -1/-1 counters a thing that accompany wither or infect or persist basically

although shadowmoor had cards that could -1/-1 counter themselves for an untap so that was independent of keywords i guess

i would have considered -1/-1 counters a theme rather than mechanic tho i guess

Bring back weirdly numbered counters

You have a Frankenstein's Monster with a +2/+0 and a +0/+2 counter on it, and it blocks a Harvest Gwyllion. The counters aren't annihilated, so you can still proliferate.

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Also ~feelbads~ wrt that set design rule for blocking modular out of scars block because modular was a sweet mechanic. I feel like they should have tried it but I mean really it's just more reason to hate infect.

Infect killed modular :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I read 3/4 of the first page of that judge whine and gave up. gently caress that self entitled poo poo head. You got DQ'd for not reporting you had cheated on accident. Eat a dick. I once thought I had made a mistake to win a game at a GP and talked to a judge. Turns out the play I made was legal so I was fine (I used swan song on a creature that I couldn't remember if it was an enchantment creature or not and wanted to make sure).

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zoness posted:

Infect killed modular :(
Thematically that's beautiful, though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don't necessary want scry or cycling specifically in every Standard, but having some way of reducing or managing variance, especially in limited, is nice. That's what morph did for Khans. I'm not sure megamorph has worked as well for DTK.

I mean Innistrad had none of these types of mechanics and it's one of the most loved sets of all time.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm looking for a mobile app (Android) that combines Decked's ability to price cards with MTG Familiar's wishlist feature. Is there such a thing? I really like Decked for being able to build decks and price them, but I'd love a wishlist feature (with pricing) that lets me know what I still have left to buy and how much it'll cost me.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

whydirt posted:

I don't necessary want scry or cycling specifically in every Standard, but having some way of reducing or managing variance, especially in limited, is nice. That's what morph did for Khans. I'm not sure megamorph has worked as well for DTK.

I mean Innistrad had none of these types of mechanics and it's one of the most loved sets of all time.

RoE and INN are good without card selection as limited formats because the cards you're playing with are for the most part good and versatile - look at level up and flashback for cards that are good both early and late. (But also RoE did have sea gate oracle i guess)

Morph kind of falls into this category too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

RoE and INN are good without card selection as limited formats because the cards you're playing with are for the most part good and versatile - look at level up and flashback for cards that are good both early and late. (But also RoE did have sea gate oracle i guess)

Morph kind of falls into this category too.

Innistrad: the Jund of draft

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Zoness posted:

I mean sure but the legendary supertype can also be called this so I mean like how is this a problem.

Like there's just parts of the game that will require rules checks and that's what judges are for. But I mean counters cancelling each other tends to feel right after it's been explained.

The legendary rule has a cost, along with every interaction that isn't spelled out on a card. Wizards has decided that it's worth that cost, while they've decided that +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters together are not worth that cost. In a vacuum both rules may be just as easy to explain, but in a game as complex as Magic they have to decide what's important enough to keep around and what's not.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
ROE and INN (without DKA) are some of the best draft sets ever.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
INN was awesome, but it wasn't because the packs were super deep. 22nd and 23rd cards in the average INN draft were a lot worse than most sets since.

I actually think that's for the best. It's part of why the format was so skill intensive.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
My opponent should have figured out something was up when he cast Liliana of the Veil, used the -2 to kill my Voice of Resurgence and then next turn I play Kitchen Finks, attack him with the token for two (ignoring the 1 loyalty LotV) and pass turn (Wilt-Leaf Liege). :getin:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Imagine if he had appetite for brains :frogout:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

whydirt posted:

yeah but innistrad had flashback which limited variation by giving you more spells to cast of you mill yourself.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Innistrad: the Jund of draft

Yeah it was basically a bunch of really good value cards.format

Innistrad was awesome for a number of reasons: it had 2 different combo-y decks that could compete with generic beatdown decks. Flashback is a good limited mechanic. 90% of 2 color decks were pretty solid, and splashing was heavily encouraged but not required. Fight was introduced and owned, and removal in general was just very well balanced. The tension of werewolves was a lot of fun to play with. The list goes on.

E: And yeah there was still a bunch of trash cards.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 18, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Fight was introduced

:what:

I mean as a keyword sure but as a mechanic no way.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

:what:

I mean as a keyword sure but as a mechanic no way.

Well yeah I wasn't saying that. Arena exists and stuff, but how often was this type of mechanic used in a meaningful way in a set? It was the first time I felt that green had a spell that could qualify as meaningful removal.

I could be mistaken

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Well yeah I wasn't saying that. Arena exists and stuff, but how often was this type of mechanic used in a meaningful way in a set? It was the first time I felt that green had a spell that could qualify as meaningful removal.

I could be mistaken

. /
:qq:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

touche

E: Point stands though! Fight as a keyword was a good addition to the game, and one of many reasons why innistrad is the darling of limited formats.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I could be mistaken

also yeah to be fair most instances of fight were on rares but r/g beasts in constructed was p big on contested cliffs in block and/or standard

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

also yeah to be fair most instances of fight were on rares but r/g beasts in constructed was p big on contested cliffs in block and/or standard

I think I missed that standard season. I started playing around mirrodin 1 fwiw. Also I took a break from magic missed most of Time Spiral, Lorywn and Shards.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 18, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think landwalk is probably pretty high on the list old mechanics they might just stop doing. I don't think they'll announce it's dead or anything, they've just been quietly doing less and less of it.

There's only four cards total in Standard right now with landwalk, and they're all Islandwalk. 3 of them are in M15, so if there's no landwalk in BFZ or Origins, the only landwalk card in Standard will be the Durdle Turtle. (And why does that thing even have landwalk?)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

I think landwalk is probably pretty high on the list old mechanics they might just stop doing. I don't think they'll announce it's dead or anything, they've just been quietly doing less and less of it.

There's only four cards total in Standard right now with landwalk, and they're all Islandwalk. 3 of them are in M15, so if there's no landwalk in BFZ or Origins, the only landwalk card in Standard will be the Durdle Turtle. (And why does that thing even have landwalk?)

Mary's article implied there is an announcement that will say something about landmark in a few weeks. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a it of a shakeup to announce for mechanics that will start in magic origins.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

Savor the flavor

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

This is LP, right? ....right?

I hate you, random people on the internet.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

Mary's article implied there is an announcement that will say something about landmark in a few weeks. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a it of a shakeup to announce for mechanics that will start in magic origins.

I hope landmark is a new mechanic

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Played, maybe.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

kizudarake posted:

Played, maybe.

I wouldn't sell it as higher than HP but I could see calling it MP based on TCGPlayer's guide.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hosing basic land types is a kindof weird thing to have as an evergreen mechanic, considering they basically never print cards that do that anymore.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

I hope landmark is a new mechanic

The land continues to burn

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Hosing basic land types is a kindof weird thing to have as an evergreen mechanic, considering they basically never print cards that do that anymore.

Or cards that hose lands, for that matter.

I look forward to BFZ having no cards that deal with lands

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

That looks like my old scalding tarn before I sold it. Has the scuff marks and slight crease up top. I still got $160 for it but that was at Richmond when foils were going for nearly $200

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

newtestleper posted:

INN was awesome, but it wasn't because the packs were super deep. 22nd and 23rd cards in the average INN draft were a lot worse than most sets since.

I actually think that's for the best. It's part of why the format was so skill intensive.

I think in both sets the average power level was significantly lower than constructed demands, and I think they had a lot of cards that supported different archetypes that were wildly more powerful in archetype and without, which made them a lot of fun.

suicidesteve posted:

It looks like the shuffle creasing on the back might be more pronounced than those pictures indicate, I'd want to see it in person or with better, less dramatic lighting, but I call pretty much anything with shuffle damage like that MP at best.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

It looks like the shuffle creasing on the back might be more pronounced than those pictures indicate, I'd want to see it in person or with better, less dramatic lighting, but I call pretty much anything with shuffle damage like that MP at best.

The shuffling damage isn't too bad, just what you can see. But yeah that alone to me makes it MP. I'm actually not sure that isn't water damage on top. It has that texture cards get when they're watered. The dents, or whatever it is that you can kinda see on the back are covering the entire thing, front and back.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

The shuffling damage isn't too bad, just what you can see. But yeah that alone to me makes it MP. I'm actually not sure that isn't water damage on top. It has that texture cards get when they're watered. The dents, or whatever it is that you can kinda see on the back are covering the entire thing, front and back.

Who's the piece of poo poo that dumped that on you, so we can never deal with them?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

suicidesteve posted:

It looks like it was double-sleeved then run over in an asphalt parking lot.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

That looks like my old scalding tarn before I sold it. Has the scuff marks and slight crease up top. I still got $160 for it but that was at Richmond when foils were going for nearly $200

It's from NC, so who knows? Maybe it is.

redstormpopcorn posted:

It looks like it was double-sleeved then run over in an asphalt parking lot.

That's actually exactly what I was thinking.

kizudarake posted:

Who's the piece of poo poo that dumped that on you, so we can never deal with them?

Man, I'm not sure if I should say without at least giving them a chance to respond. At the same time, that is pretty inexcusable to send that out. I'm sure they'll say "it was in LP condition when we sent it" (the envelope isn't dirty/run over/damaged at all) but I'd like to see what they say before I start boycotting them.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

say it was Pussy Snorkel so we can take down his Magic card empire

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

It's from NC, so who knows? Maybe it is.

That's actually exactly what I was thinking.

Man, I'm not sure if I should say without at least giving them a chance to respond. At the same time, that is pretty inexcusable to send that out. I'm sure they'll say "it was in LP condition when we sent it" (the envelope isn't dirty/run over/damaged at all) but I'd like to see what they say before I start boycotting them.

Was this a goon or a store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Anatharon posted:

I'm not really big into Magic but I started thinking of playing it again, because a lot of people play it here and I'm starting to feel left out of conversations. :v:

I've got a huge mishmash of cards I inherited from my cousin but I'm too paranoid to use anything with a lot of real world value and got a white New Phyrexia event deck. Anyone have any advice for playing or building on it? I'm bad at magic.

Also I have Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 and 2013, are either of them strictly better than the other?

Okay I double checked and it's called War of Attrition.

Anyways. Some of my friends are going to Friday Night Magic which I figure I'll give a shot too. Living Weapons seem cool, is it viable to expand the amount of those I have in a deck or are they overpriced? What about Myr?

• Locked thread