Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.

Kibayasu posted:

One thing I had in my head soon after finishing AC3 was that Connor should have been an Assassin that had nothing to do with the Assassins at large. Like, he agreed with their philosophy, underwent their training, but didn't use it to fight directly against Templars or directly for America but for his tribe and family. Concentrating more on the Native part of his heritage, not the American Revolution.

I can see this, since it really feels like that's where the game is going at first. Connor doesn't really seem to give two shits about any sort of Assassins code of honor or anything and just does what he does because he's protecting his people. Except the game never really makes this clear and constantly tries to make it look like the opposite despite all given evidence. Especially with the assassin recruitment stuff. It makes sense that Connor might recruit some allies to help out, but to call them "assassins" and turn everything into some kind of secret organization again feels totally out of place.

That's why I didn't realize until 3/4 of the way through the game that you could send your recruits out into the world on missions. It doesn't make any loving sense. The fact that that menu in particular is buried so deep into the already unintuitive UI didn't help either.

But don't even get me started on mechanical issues with the game because the omniscient guards will surely chase me to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

The Grimace posted:

Was cleaning out my PS4's videos and I found this masterpiece. It's not an amazing glitch, but it makes me laugh a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75R_YT8j-WA

That made me laugh too. I love how ambivalent the NPCs are to all the effort Arno is putting into his comedy running.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

khy posted:

Aaaaaagh. I keep trying to pick up Black Flag but since the whole ship thing is hosed and can't be reset it irritates me and irritates me. I mean that was a sizable amount of gameplay, going after specific ships JUST because I wanted them in my fleet, weighing my options for what to send where, unlocking all kinds of fun poo poo via the fleet and I can't loving reset it so I can't start over.
You can't make another Uplay account? :confused:

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
Trip report: Just finished AC3 for the first time.

Connor's final act was a single, extended, wet fart for about half an hour until the game finally decided it was time to end. Both final confrontations were hilariously bad and unsatisfying and the resolution pretty much proved that his entire story was pointless.

And then if that wasn't bad enough, it was time to go full on :wtc: for Desmond's resolution. I was spoiled ahead of time, so I knew more or less what was going to happen, but I don't think I really understood the game's explanation at all. Maybe I missed some details since I wasn't really paying that much attention anyway? But hey, I saved the world. Maybe? Okay, sure. Whatever.

Thank christ I can put this game behind me now.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Zarah posted:

Trip report: Just finished AC3 for the first time.

Connor's final act was a single, extended, wet fart for about half an hour until the game finally decided it was time to end. Both final confrontations were hilariously bad and unsatisfying and the resolution pretty much proved that his entire story was pointless.

And then if that wasn't bad enough, it was time to go full on :wtc: for Desmond's resolution. I was spoiled ahead of time, so I knew more or less what was going to happen, but I don't think I really understood the game's explanation at all. Maybe I missed some details since I wasn't really paying that much attention anyway? But hey, I saved the world. Maybe? Okay, sure. Whatever.

Thank christ I can put this game behind me now.

IMO the worst part about that entire arc was that they couldn't seem to decide on which "old god" phantom we were talking to. I mean we had Juno but there was a different "helper" god for every game to AC3.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

To be clear what I meant by this

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Finish it imo. (Not that you're wrong!)
is that at the end of the game Connor hosed up sooo bad and he couldn't protect his people and the Revolution turned out to be kind of a poo poo thing for him. Which is sad! And I think if they were able to include more of the stuff they cut it'd be an especially effective ending and sort of a uniquely hopeless one for that game's protag, but no dice.

I also think they came close to having something in terms of Connor's plot playing the foil to Desmond's (dad probs, savin' stuff) but blew it at the last minute there too :(

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

AC3 was garbage and racists and honestly proved that the Assassin's are the real villains.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

AC3 was garbage and racists and honestly proved that the Assassin's are the real villains.

I always thought that as individuals we become so embroiled in our own personal mythologies that anything that we "attack" anything that goes against that state of mind without regard to ultimate consequence. Like, Templars want to end chaos through control, and Assassins want "freedom" through, uh, freedom?, and people within those groups differ on the meaning of those two terms, and have been fighting for so long they have no long term goal (other than to keep fighting the opposing side), nor do they have a plan if they "win". Beyond that, none of them are asking actual people what they want.

Maybe i am thinking way too much into this.

I am kind of hoping that they blow it up and start over; they have some good core concepts. Maybe call it "The Assassins Creed" and jump through multiple timelines, while having a "current" world where the Templars and Assassins are in such pitched battles (economically, financially) with each other they have made the modern world a living hell. Your protag is you (make your own assassin) in an open world, with "gated" access to other areas as you learn your powers through these time jaunts through your hacked AnimusOne Entertainment System. You learn the history of the Assassins, and Templars, and can make your own, branching decisions.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

The Grimace posted:

Was cleaning out my PS4's videos and I found this masterpiece. It's not an amazing glitch, but it makes me laugh a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75R_YT8j-WA
The guy emptying his nonexistent bucket of piss next to you was a nice touch too.

:thumbsup: Ubi

khy
Aug 15, 2005

CrashCat posted:

You can't make another Uplay account? :confused:

Sure I can!

What I can't figure out is how to change which uplay account AC4 syncs to, so that as I play the info updates to the new one. I spent half an hour trying to figure out how to do it, including deleting all AC4 saves, patches, even the game install itself. And I still couldn't figure it out.

But seriously what kind of rear end-backwards retarded design decision was it to make a game (Or in this case, minigame) you can't ever replay?

Unity doesn't happen to have anything that's locked in to 'you can only ever do it once', does it?

E: According to Ubisoft support,

quote:

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to reset Kenway's fleet for the game. The closest thing you can do would be to sell all your ships. We apologize for the inconvenience.

But there's hope!

quote:

Kenway's Fleet is attached to your console's account information. If you do start a new PSN account and play AC 4, you should be able to do kenway's fleet again.

Still retarded as gently caress that they basically force players to jump through hoops if they want to start over though. A game you can only play once is a lovely loving game.

khy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 17, 2015

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Darth Ballz posted:

I always thought that as individuals we become so embroiled in our own personal mythologies that anything that we "attack" anything that goes against that state of mind without regard to ultimate consequence. Like, Templars want to end chaos through control, and Assassins want "freedom" through, uh, freedom?, and people within those groups differ on the meaning of those two terms, and have been fighting for so long they have no long term goal (other than to keep fighting the opposing side), nor do they have a plan if they "win". Beyond that, none of them are asking actual people what they want.

Maybe i am thinking way too much into this.

I am kind of hoping that they blow it up and start over; they have some good core concepts. Maybe call it "The Assassins Creed" and jump through multiple timelines, while having a "current" world where the Templars and Assassins are in such pitched battles (economically, financially) with each other they have made the modern world a living hell. Your protag is you (make your own assassin) in an open world, with "gated" access to other areas as you learn your powers through these time jaunts through your hacked AnimusOne Entertainment System. You learn the history of the Assassins, and Templars, and can make your own, branching decisions.
I think the fundamental problem with this is that the Templars have always had a very strict "This is what they are, what they do, what their goals are". They want to better mankind by controlling it while providing the illusion of freedom. You're still free on a microcosmic scale, but at a macro level you aren't. It's just they're potrayed as mustache twirling villians who want to take away ALL freedoms for some reason.

The Assassins, in the meantime are whatever the current creative lead wants them to be. In AC1 they're a society built to stop atrocities in the holy land. In 2 they a group of thieves and whores who have a much larger political goal of... kill the Templars(?). In 3 they don't even have a real goal beyond being Connors personal revenge army. In four they're barely there, in Rogue they're basically shown to have little difference from the Templar's beyond the fact that the Templar kind of revel in their tech. And in Unity the Assassins want to keep the Revolution from happening.

I seriously think Ubi needs to have a sit down and talk to their Creed teams to nail down exactly what the assassins are going for. Because the more I think about it the more I feel like the Templar's are the ultimate protagonists and the Assassins are just the villian group that does nothing else except fight them. I suppose the Assassins are sort of the "Freedom Police" but even then they're always kept in such a position that they are rebuilding around the various player characters at all times.

Shadic
Sep 26, 2013

They do a better job at differentiating the two (And showing the Templars as the baddies) in the Desmond storyline, but we all know what happened to that. :commissar:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Shadic posted:

They do a better job at differentiating the two (And showing the Templars as the baddies) in the Desmond storyline, but we all know what happened to that. :commissar:

Well that's where it's like "We're card carrying villians... because!"

I hope rogue means that the "mind control the world" plot died with the Dr. and the enforcer guy we meet in Rogue becomes the new leader of the Templars.

I admit, if I were a creative director on a Creed game, I'd take Rogue's idea and start pushing it to a logical counterpoint so that hopefully we'd get an Assassin and Templar game every year.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

khy posted:

Still retarded as gently caress that they basically force players to jump through hoops if they want to start over though. A game you can only play once is a lovely loving game.
That's some weird poo poo, but considering the end result of Kenway's Fleet is basically just "here's some free money" I don't find it shocking that they never expected anyone to want to reset it. Odd that you can't just pick a new profile and a new Uplay since that seems like it would have been easier for them to program, though. I never even realized my Uplay was attached to the PSN account.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Zarah posted:

Can we talk about AC3 for a bit?

I've been playing it for the first time over the past couple weeks and I feel like I could rant about so many things that went wrong. This however, is one thing that probably disappoints me the most. I love Haytham. His characterization is fantastic and the first time that he confronted Connor, I felt a genuine sense of "he could beat the poo poo out of me, even on my best day." Which is what makes Connor such a let-down.

Let's put it this way. There's a major problem with your game's protagonist when in every single scene with him and Haytham I find myself agreeing with the supposed bad-guy more often than not and shaking my head whenever Connor does the opposite of basically everything everyone tells him. Almost every character has gone out of their way to tell Connor that he's naive, but instead of punishing him for it and making him learn anything from his mistakes, the story arbitrarily rewards him. Connor is never wrong, despite being the most reckless and stupid person in the entire game.

I'm not finished the game yet, but Jesus. This poo poo is getting hard to watch.

Post here if it gets better. I quit and uninstalled AC3 after the second or third time Connor was disarmed during a cutscene due entirely to his own stupidity.

I completely agree about Haytham though, they did a good job with his character development. It's a shame they didn't have Connor round a corner in one of the earlier sequences to put all of the childish bullshit behind him...but they didn't.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It doesn't really, but combat is way more varied and brutal and more importantly more fun than anything after it.

dicking NPCs around with infinite rope darts was the best

khy
Aug 15, 2005

CrashCat posted:

That's some weird poo poo, but considering the end result of Kenway's Fleet is basically just "here's some free money" I don't find it shocking that they never expected anyone to want to reset it. Odd that you can't just pick a new profile and a new Uplay since that seems like it would have been easier for them to program, though. I never even realized my Uplay was attached to the PSN account.

One of the things I liked about the fleet was how it changed the way I was playing the game, in that it made certain ships desirable not because of their resources but because I wanted something specific in my fleet. It sounds small but I found it had a substantial impact on how I was playing the first time through.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

In AC3, the founding father's literally use the native american for their own personal gain and are upfront about how they don't give a poo poo about him and his people and yet the assassin helps them because................?

Plus the game took away the ability to murder the random passerby with a sharp blade to the throat.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Btw, if you liked Haytham, pick up Rogue. He shows up there too.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Seriously gently caress the assassins.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Calax posted:

Btw, if you liked Haytham, pick up Rogue. He shows up there too.

Also you can murder as many civilians as you want

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS

fennesz posted:

Post here if it gets better. I quit and uninstalled AC3 after the second or third time Connor was disarmed during a cutscene due entirely to his own stupidity.

I completely agree about Haytham though, they did a good job with his character development. It's a shame they didn't have Connor round a corner in one of the earlier sequences to put all of the childish bullshit behind him...but they didn't.

I beat the game and posted my thoughts above, so feel free to read those if you're curious. The tl;dr version is that it doesn't really get any better. And yeah, Connor doesn't really learn anything throughout the entire game.

Another thing that really bugged me was that the game was setting some story beats up that I assumed would be paid off later, but then nothing really comes of it. And then paradoxically, there are scenes that have pretty big dramatic weight behind them with absolutely no set-up at all. They just happen because... a dramatic beat was needed I guess? Like Connor's confrontation with his childhood friend (whose name I will never remember) when his tribe is going to war. There was absolutely no set-up that these two people would ever come to head with one another, but then it happens and is over in five minutes. Okay?

I'm looking forward to starting up AC4 and starting to make my comparisons to see just how they went so wrong in AC3.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
God drat.

I tried to play Unity right after finishing Rogue, immediately got bored and quit until yesterday. I played for another four hours tonight and... god this is still just loving boring.

Typically in AssCreed games I like to go out and do ALL the collectible and side poo poo as soon as everything opens up to me so I can just breeze through the story poo poo all together at the end. It's feeling to me like half the side stuff is basically worthless unless I complete more of the plot in Unity. For instance: all of the locked chests may as well just get left behind until I fully upgrade the lock skill, since I apparently suck humongous dick at it with the lockpick skill at the lowest level. I feel this is contributing to the boredom as a lot of my game time is spent trying to get to poo poo on the map that turns out to be unobtainable either due to lovely lockpicking skills, or not progressing far enough to make it worth my while.

So question: Approximately how far into the plot should I go before I can leave it behind and do side poo poo to my heart's content? Or should I just abandon this game all together because it just doesn't get good at any point? I'm currently only just at the point where the modern day assassin unlocks some of the low-level skills for you (to buy, instead of actually unlocking, what bullshit is that?).

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

ApathyGifted posted:

God drat.

I tried to play Unity right after finishing Rogue, immediately got bored and quit until yesterday. I played for another four hours tonight and... god this is still just loving boring.

Typically in AssCreed games I like to go out and do ALL the collectible and side poo poo as soon as everything opens up to me so I can just breeze through the story poo poo all together at the end. It's feeling to me like half the side stuff is basically worthless unless I complete more of the plot in Unity. For instance: all of the locked chests may as well just get left behind until I fully upgrade the lock skill, since I apparently suck humongous dick at it with the lockpick skill at the lowest level. I feel this is contributing to the boredom as a lot of my game time is spent trying to get to poo poo on the map that turns out to be unobtainable either due to lovely lockpicking skills, or not progressing far enough to make it worth my while.

So question: Approximately how far into the plot should I go before I can leave it behind and do side poo poo to my heart's content? Or should I just abandon this game all together because it just doesn't get good at any point? I'm currently only just at the point where the modern day assassin unlocks some of the low-level skills for you (to buy, instead of actually unlocking, what bullshit is that?).

Sequence nine is when everything skill wise opens up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Zarah posted:

I beat the game and posted my thoughts above, so feel free to read those if you're curious. The tl;dr version is that it doesn't really get any better. And yeah, Connor doesn't really learn anything throughout the entire game.

Another thing that really bugged me was that the game was setting some story beats up that I assumed would be paid off later, but then nothing really comes of it. And then paradoxically, there are scenes that have pretty big dramatic weight behind them with absolutely no set-up at all. They just happen because... a dramatic beat was needed I guess? Like Connor's confrontation with his childhood friend (whose name I will never remember) when his tribe is going to war. There was absolutely no set-up that these two people would ever come to head with one another, but then it happens and is over in five minutes. Okay?

I'm looking forward to starting up AC4 and starting to make my comparisons to see just how they went so wrong in AC3.
At least play the Tyranny of Washington DLCs because they're the best of what came from AC3 and there's a pyramid in the middle of New York.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Calax posted:

Sequence nine is when everything skill wise opens up.
Also the skill point menu tells you on each skill what sequence you have to beat to be allowed to buy it. I feel like the double gate there is a bit lovely but a couple of the skills wouldn't make sense to unlock early due to the story.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Also the skill point menu tells you on each skill what sequence you have to beat to be allowed to buy it. I feel like the double gate there is a bit lovely but a couple of the skills wouldn't make sense to unlock early due to the story.
To be honest if you're letting story dictate your upgrade progression to this degree you've hosed up somewhere.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

To be honest if you're letting story dictate your upgrade progression to this degree you've hosed up somewhere.
I hosed up by wanting to try out co-op first since it was the new thing. Or did you mean the developer? Cause yeah they kinda hosed that up.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

So... I'm listening to an IGN podcast (Unlocked) and they talk about Syndicate saying specifically that there's no major focus on multiplayer this year.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
There's no multiplayer at all, going by reports.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Loved 2, because I was an actual assassin. Hated 4 because I was just some bumble-gently caress pirate playing assassin dress up. Never played 3. Will I like unity?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Rasmussen posted:

Loved 2, because I was an actual assassin. Hated 4 because I was just some bumble-gently caress pirate playing assassin dress up. Never played 3. Will I like unity?

Unity is you playing a watered down French Ezio with a British accent with ultimately irrelevant customization options

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Unity is you playing a watered down French Ezio with a British accent with ultimately irrelevant customization options

AC2 also felt long as gently caress, whereas AC4 feels incredibly short. It isn't really a first time perception thing, either; even replaying AC2, it's like, god drat, how long is this game?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The White Dragon posted:

AC2 also felt long as gently caress, whereas AC4 feels incredibly short. It isn't really a first time perception thing, either; even replaying AC2, it's like, god drat, how long is this game?

Whats this, theres a memory sequence restored?

That cant be too bad. *Hour later* That was fun, but man this engine sucks for fighting multiple dudes.

Whats this another memory sequence has been restored? *Hour later* WHY WONT THIS END I LONG FOR DEATH

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

The White Dragon posted:

It covers the longest timeframe (24 years I think?) which probably contributes to that feeling.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I hated the fact that the Ezio Trilogy version of AC2 includes the DLC and it's baked into the game proper. It's more padding to a game that's already long as gently caress.

That Bonfire DLC or whatever was absolute garbage. Nothing about killing a bunch of dudes like it's Assassin's Creed 1 was fun.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

The whole reason I got into Assassin's Creed was the competitive multiplayer. :sigh:

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
Trip report: I love AC4.

It solves so many of the issues that I had with AC3, both mechanically and story-wise. The thing that probably stands out the most (mechanically anyway) is how stealth is actually fun and workable again. It made me realize just how broken it was in AC3.

I'm not sure how to feel about the new future storyline, though I did get one chuckle so far. Early on, I was exploring Abstergo's building, just wandering around and I walked past the guy running the coffee stand. I noticed he looked suspiciously like Shawn from the previous games, but I didn't think much of it. Then I got to the first story development and found out that was him after all.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I love that he just dyed his hair two shades darker, waltzed directly into the lion's den, and it worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I love that he just dyed his hair two shades darker, waltzed directly into the lion's den, and it worked

I like to think that Abstergo is fully aware of who he is, and hired him anyway because he was willing to work for less than anyone else.

• Locked thread