Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Orv posted:

After killing the griffon and leaving White Orchard.

Game is good.

Do you need to pick Simulate Witcher 2 Save On or Off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Orv posted:

After killing the griffon and leaving White Orchard.

Game is good.

As someone who didn't play Witcher 2, is there an obvious choice for me?

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Do you need to pick Simulate Witcher 2 Save On or Off?

What does that mean exactly? I said On, so i assume the game did a better job at filling me in to what happened at the end of Witcher 2?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

YANSEE posted:

What does that mean exactly? I said On, so i assume the game did a better job at filling me in to what happened at the end of Witcher 2?

That's what I mean, I can't which means what as far as wanting to fill in the stuff yourself goes.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, downgrade nerds were right, even if they were weird as poo poo. Game doesn't look as good as it did back when the first material for it was released.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How are keyboard/mouse controls compared to a controller this time around? I recently tried playing The Witcher 2 with a 360 controller and it felt really sluggish and awkward, but it feels fine with keyboard/mouse. Is it the same this time around, or was the game more optimized for controllers given the simultaneous PS4/bone release?

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Speaking of controller vs keyboard, for whatever reason my game (PC) refuses to acknowledge my controller and will only work on keyboard/mouse. Anyone else having a similar problem and/or have a workaround?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Question on the griffin quest what happens if you refuse the money from the captain of the garrison?

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Gorgeous game, but in two hours it has locked twice up twice for me. Ctrl+alt+delete brings up the task bar but my mouse curser vanishes over the rest of the screen which is all black, which means I can't access the task manager to kill the process. This basically forces me to restart my PC. Playing with a Geforce 970, latest drivers, Windows 8.1, Steam version.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Loving that you can quickly get yourself into trouble by sticking your nose where you know you have no business sticking it. An open world concept is exactly what the Witcher series needed, this game is so good.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Could someone tell me what version I should see when I launch the game to know that the patch is installed? Thanks.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, downgrade nerds were right, even if they were weird as poo poo. Game doesn't look as good as it did back when the first material for it was released.

It would be able to run on like 5% of prospective gamers PCs if it looked like the 2013 previews. That's not good for business.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Harrow posted:

How are keyboard/mouse controls compared to a controller this time around? I recently tried playing The Witcher 2 with a 360 controller and it felt really sluggish and awkward, but it feels fine with keyboard/mouse. Is it the same this time around, or was the game more optimized for controllers given the simultaneous PS4/bone release?

Controller certainly seems to be the default (mostly because tooltips going "Hey keyboard detected switching to that mode" after every cutscene) but it's pretty easygoing aside from some odd keybinds that can be switched around.

Alt to dodge? Why

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Rhaegar posted:

Could someone tell me what version I should see when I launch the game to know that the patch is installed? Thanks.

1.02 is the latest version (even though the patch says it's version 1.01 on gog's website)

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I'm playing this on PS4 (I know, I know) and I really like it so far, but does it feel a little bit floaty to anyone else? The controls, specifically for moving about and horseback just feel off like the character has no weight. Maybe I'm nitpicking, I don't know.

Edit: Also it says I should be level 3 for this griffin quest but I've done basically every quest available to me that I've found and I'm still not even level 2. Am I supposed to just be exploring more and grinding or something?

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 19, 2015

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Use SweetFX and apply a smudgy gray filter if you really need to have that look.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

SunAndSpring posted:

Looks pretty good here. It is using the modern bells and whistles so I'm not really sure people are talking about being missing.

There's other things that bug me way more. Animations can be sketchy or not feel rooted to the world. Child characters seem to just use adult models scaled down so they have freaky giant hands and don't have fat enough heads.

And lack of camera options sucks rear end. I want to be able to inspect the world a bit better.

But the world seems cool. Feels like Red Dead Redemption more than I would have thought. If I didn't have a huge headache I could probably sink some time in right now.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

drat, this is the first game my trusty 4 1/2 year old Radon 6950 can't run on High settings. Even Far Cry 4 runs smooth as butter, but The Witcher is really demanding.

Digging the game so far, but I might have to drop down to Normal difficulty. I hate not being able to explore because I'm afraid of not having the resources to heal.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
So, the save I imported from TW2 had some pretty bitching items etc. Do those carry over?

Also, I'm running this on an asus r9 290x 3840x2160, decently high settings, just a bit of frame chop. My room got a bit warmer, though.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
God this game looks awful, I'd rather play Morrowind. :zoid:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lol @ the fact that the card game jsut straight up crashes no matter what if you try and pass on ps4

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Can anyone tell me why the GOG.com version of the game is split into 7 loving downloads AND a patch? Am I missing a way to get it all in one go? This is the only game I've ever gotten from GOG; I got it for free by getting an Nvidia card.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

That's what I mean, I can't which means what as far as wanting to fill in the stuff yourself goes.

This poo poo is confusing.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

I'm playing this on PS4 (I know, I know) and I really like it so far, but does it feel a little bit floaty to anyone else? The controls, specifically for moving about and horseback just feel off like the character has no weight. Maybe I'm nitpicking, I don't know.

Edit: Also it says I should be level 3 for this griffin quest but I've done basically every quest available to me that I've found and I'm still not even level 2. Am I supposed to just be exploring more and grinding or something?

Did you do the ones on the notice board? Check your map to find it.

Admiral Bosch posted:

Can anyone tell me why the GOG.com version of the game is split into 7 loving downloads AND a patch? Am I missing a way to get it all in one go? This is the only game I've ever gotten from GOG; I got it for free by getting an Nvidia card.

You have to either download the GOG downloader or download the beta GOG client. Either one will let you download it all in one go.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 19, 2015

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I don't understand how the DLC is supposed to work. I'm not getting an option to download them, just to play the game and there doesn't appear to be any indication that they have been downloaded?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BlackMK4 posted:

This poo poo is confusing.

Yea I seriously have no clue which option I picked, I said 'yes' because I assume 'no' means just ignoring W2 questions at all?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

Is it an open world, or is it sectioned off like in DAI? Because I've found the edge of the map already and I can't scroll that far in any one direction when I look at the local map. Maybe it's just like that because it's the first area and it's gating me from leaving the place until I've killed the griffin or what have you.

Oh no you can't literally wander in any direction forever in this 100 hour open world game. What a disappointment. Looks like you'll have grind through this game choking back your misery, if you can bring yourself to play it at all. I mean, why even produce 100-200 hours of content? What's the point if it's not literally infinite? If I can't play the Witcher 3 until I die of old age, why bother?

SunAndSpring posted:

Agreed, I played the beta on an IBM supercomputing cluster normally used to render false-color fluid dynamic studies for NASA JPL in a 270 degree rendering cave and I tell you my 1920x1080 TN laptop screen driven by a GTX 860M just isn't doing it for me. I called JPL but they want $20,000/hr to use their rig. Tempting but at that rate I may as well just mainline heroin for 200 hours.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

Admiral Bosch posted:

GOG Galaxy. I started doing it the way you mentioned and then realized how retarded I was.

I can't believe these comments on graphics. Still milling about White Orchard at the moment and it's everything I'd hoped for thus far. And it's pretty as gently caress. Is everyone blind/trolling?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Anyone have issues installing with Gog Galaxy? It's downloaded everything but I've been sitting at Installing for half an hour without it seeming to do anything. I tried restarting the client.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

gigawhite posted:

Anyone have issues installing with Gog Galaxy? It's downloaded everything but I've been sitting at Installing for half an hour without it seeming to do anything. I tried restarting the client.

It's entirely possible their servers are getting hammered right now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Alt to dodge? Why

Because you can reach it with your thumb. Any other questions?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mikeraskol posted:

I've noticed this too.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Actual game talk: What abilities are you guys getting? Playing on the "hard" difficulty mode and just getting my rear end beat so want to upgrade wisely.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Crappers posted:

GOG Galaxy. I started doing it the way you mentioned and then realized how retarded I was.

I can't believe these comments on graphics. Still milling about White Orchard at the moment and it's everything I'd hoped for thus far. And it's pretty as gently caress. Is everyone blind/trolling?

Yes. Both.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Did you do the ones on the notice board? Check your map to find it.

Yeah I did both, still only level 1 though I'm close to level 2. Plus I did the arsonist quest.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How do the keyboard + mouse and gamepad controls compare?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Comrade Flynn posted:

Actual game talk: What abilities are you guys getting? Playing on the "hard" difficulty mode and just getting my rear end beat so want to upgrade wisely.

The sun and moon passive is helpful early I found, useful for any build.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

YANSEE posted:

As I understand it, choosing to simulate a Witcher 2 save means you'll eventually get a chance to answer questions that will simulate making choices in the previous game. Since on PS4 and Xbone there's no way for you to import an actual save file like you can on PC. If you don't do that I guess it will just default to whatever CDPR decided the canon outcomes of everything in Witcher 2 were.

Here's a video about the save import simulation if you're not worried about spoilers and all that.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Voxx posted:

The sun and moon passive is helpful early I found, useful for any build.

That was actually my first choice. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

For everyone's information, the part where you fill in what happens in Witcher 2 occurs after the initial prologue. In other words, don't worry, you haven't missed it, it just doesn't come up until after you're out of the first open area.