Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

krushgroove posted:

I'm a modeller, not a list builder, so the fact that people are unimpressed by the display boards is mind-boggling to me. I do wonder if most of these comments about the dioramas come from players who refuse to play against unpainted armies.

The dioramas are pretty cool IMO

Im 'ughing' at the 'would pay to get in to see them'

In sculpting news; I am about to try and sculpt a reverse mermaid, and possibly a scrunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I understand people are annoyed that they have to pay now to see the exhibition halls but they are larger, they have a permanent team to make displays specifically for WHW and they'll be making new display boards on a regular basis. The big display took 10 months to make and all the displays will be updated with new models, like the Space Wolves/Tyranids battle scene. For me, I play at WHW a couple times a year and I would pay to go into the exhibition once a year to see what's new.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

krushgroove posted:

I understand people are annoyed that they have to pay now to see the exhibition halls but they are larger, they have a permanent team to make displays specifically for WHW and they'll be making new display boards on a regular basis. The big display took 10 months to make and all the displays will be updated with new models, like the Space Wolves/Tyranids battle scene. For me, I play at WHW a couple times a year and I would pay to go into the exhibition once a year to see what's new.

So is the exhibition thing seperate of the gaming hall? Can you play for free?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Big Willy Style posted:

So is the exhibition thing seperate of the gaming hall? Can you play for free?

Yeah the gaming hall is still there, this weekend it's full of crowd barriers for the FW event sales queue but there's still plenty of room for the gaming tables. Considering that every time I've gone there have been empty tables, I don't think losing a few tables to fit in the BL and FW shops is going to affect anything.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I chuckled at the Black Valkyrie Down scene. GW are still in the habit of substituting Orks for Brown/Black people.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I went looking for Apocalypse Class Titan and came across this, pretty rad:

http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomfigure.php?FID=35468

I could learn from this guy. I need to move away from simple edge highlighting and do more subtle stuff like this, it look so good.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I tried some tube cutting stuff.

I did most with small metal mitre box+saw and then sanding. In the end I finally tried the tube cutter, using the trick with a smaller tube inside the one I was cutting. It seems to be a good technique, both when cutting all the way through, but also for just scoring and then cutting by other means to avoid crushing.
Incidently it's also very useful for creating lascannon coils:

Scale is not perfect, but I'm happy with it for now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

krushgroove posted:

I wouldn't have a problem paying a few bucks to see the exhibition hall stuff. I'd be there like... once so what's a few bucks to see some museum-quality displays? I can guarantee the pictures don't quite do them justice.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SRM posted:

I can guarantee the pictures don't quite do them justice.

Nope, not at all. On the big display the changing light and dark environment made it very very hard to get a good picture, and the Dwarf/Skaven display had loads of light reflections on the plexiglass.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is the epic music and battle sounds pumped through the exhibition hall as ambient sound. Pretty cool.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

HardCoil posted:

I did most with small metal mitre box+saw and then sanding. In the end I finally tried the tube cutter, using the trick with a smaller tube inside the one I was cutting. It seems to be a good technique, both when cutting all the way through, but also for just scoring and then cutting by other means to avoid crushing.

This is legit good work, dude. I'm impressed at how nice that's turned out.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Thanks. It's not that hard once you get an idea of how to cut the tubes. Just keep adding shapes, and it will look complicated rather quickly.
Razorback turret is almost done. Amazing how a little bit of grebeling hides underlying crookedness...

This was a fun little project, and I can see how people get addicted to it.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
drat those look amazing.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Is that a Terminator torso? Neat.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So I've been wanting to add Centurions to my old school Ultras for a while now, but there aren't many suitable models of the era for them. Then I thought hey, why not the old Rogue Trader robots? They're only a little bigger than a modern Terminator, and entirely too small to count-as the new Admech robots, but I think they're really fun and funky models. The Castellan in the center is really the only one of the three I think the sculptor really thought through. The wonderfully chunky Cataphract on the left is just a staircase with legs and I don't know what the hell's up with the Conqueror on the right. That being said, once I got some freehand on these guys I liked them a lot!

SRM fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 19, 2015

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Been working on this bad boy and wanted to get some feedback as this will be the baseline for my army.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

The Sisko posted:

Been working on this bad boy and wanted to get some feedback as this will be the baseline for my army.

Word Bearers, I presume? This is awesome, love the metallic crimson. Not so thrilled with him standing off the edge of some weirdo base.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Yeah reposition him so his feet arent dangling off the edge

I like the spooky floor face

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
The crimson looks a bit uneven, like it's got a bit of orange peel trying to start. The protective coat will probably fix that, though.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The new MK3 guys have a really wide stance, so he might have a hard time with it.

I dig the metal and color combo. I think you can probably get away with adding gold to the vertical wing stripe things on the shield to make him even more interesting from the front. After that a nice silver highlight over everything will make him really pop. Do you have any other plans for him?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Would this brush be ok for dry brushing? Or is it too big?

It is a soft makeup brush for ladies

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Depends on the mini. You need to open a dialog. Don't just go barreling in there with the big one.

It's about having a conversation and making a safe place for everyone to express their edges and recesses.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Moola, makeup brushes are really good for drybrushing actually and you will be fine to use it.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

HardCoil posted:

Im assuming that's just the smallest pipe cutter you could find and not something modeling specific?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah. it's just from the hardware store. I've seen some tutorials online that leads me to belive that you can get them smaller and from plastic. This one is really for metal pipes, and can't cut the smaller diameters.

Unzip and Attack posted:

drat those look amazing.

Thanks. The nice thing is that it doesn't really require much skill beyond a bit of planning and attention to detail. I used to just wing it with these things, but planning on paper and doing measurements is really all there is to it. I can post a step by step if there's interest to show how easy it really is.

An Angry Bug posted:

Is that a Terminator torso? Neat.
Haha yeah, terminator torso and psycannon barrels. Just got started modelling after many years, and bitz box is a bit shallow :D

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I sorta want to paint some space marines using Alclad's automotive lacquers now. Candy Apple Red buffed to a high gloss. Make my army so tacky the other guy gives up.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Though I've historically not been big on colored metallics, I saw a Menoth army with blue metallic menofixes at last weekend's steamroller and it looked kickin' rad.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Big Willy Style posted:

Moola, makeup brushes are really good for drybrushing actually and you will be fine to use it.

Thanks, I thought I remembered hearing this before so I must have logged that somewhere in the old noggin

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Moola posted:

Thanks, I thought I remembered hearing this before so I must have logged that somewhere in the old noggin

The big puffy ones are great for doing weathering powders too.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Reynold posted:

Word Bearers, I presume? This is awesome, love the metallic crimson. Not so thrilled with him standing off the edge of some weirdo base.

You are correct sir, I've since moved him more to the middle of the base.

An Angry Bug posted:

The crimson looks a bit uneven, like it's got a bit of orange peel trying to start. The protective coat will probably fix that, though.

BULBASAUR posted:

The new MK3 guys have a really wide stance, so he might have a hard time with it.

I dig the metal and color combo. I think you can probably get away with adding gold to the vertical wing stripe things on the shield to make him even more interesting from the front. After that a nice silver highlight over everything will make him really pop. Do you have any other plans for him?

I'm thinking that I'm going to keep it silver for the time being and for the higher ranks Ill introduce more gold as a way to differentiate the officers from the rank and file. As for other plans I was thinking of adding some of the Ultramarine heads on some chains around the shield.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

The Sisko posted:

I'm thinking that I'm going to keep it silver for the time being and for the higher ranks Ill introduce more gold as a way to differentiate the officers from the rank and file. As for other plans I was thinking of adding some of the Ultramarine heads on some chains around the shield.

I'd recommend some additional fine application of dark colored washes in the seams of the armor. Especially in places like the iron colored portions of the shield and near the bottom between the bezel and the rivets. The reflective sheen of the metal attracts a lot of light there and takes away from the effect of the solid panels. You don't need to slosh it on, just use it to shade those corners

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Agreed. A thinned down wash can act like a filter and break up some of the shininess. Pushing the shadows is also ace advice. A fine metallic drybrush of silver over the raised surfaces would also really make this guy pop. Maybe we can do a painting clinic at my flat one of these days? Its easier to show in person.

Moola posted:

If you find that its too big for the models your working on, you can cut away some of the bristles too.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Agreed. A thinned down wash can act like a filter and break up some of the shininess. Pushing the shadows is also ace advice. A fine metallic drybrush of silver over the raised surfaces would also really make this guy pop. Maybe we can do a painting clinic at my flat one of these days? Its easier to show in person.

If you find that its too big for the models your working on, you can cut away some of the bristles too.

sounds great. Maybe when we play Dzc?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sounds good. Beer, games, and painting at la casa de bulbasaur

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
So if any of y'all were curious weather Skitarii hands fit on Space Marines...

They do! The left arms need some trimming and pinning and twisting to look right, but hey.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished up this old Epicast Vindicator. The actual Epicast bit is only the trashcan-looking cannon on the front and the conjoined armor plate, but hot drat is it not a well cast piece. Epicast poo poo is as bubbly as Finecast, but fortunately not so bendy. That being said, I still really like the look of it, I just wish the cast was better. Enough kvetching though, here's a cool tank:

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

krushgroove posted:

Talked to some the GW guys at today's Warhammer World Grand Opening, about the brushes they said that Winsor Newton DO make the Artificer brush - it's not the top of he range but the next down (so not Kolinsky sable but sable, that's how I took that). The brushes do look good but if you already have a set of Series 7 or other Kolinsky sable brushes just keep using what you're happy with.

BTW if anyone wants to see my photo album from the day (new models, loads of new display boards) here's the link: https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/6149526483284482033

I didn't take pictures of the older items in the exhibition hall, because I already had them from the old exhibition hall (click here https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/5936205578977392769).

Also, here are my photos from last year's Warhammer Fest, which includes an awesome Zone Mortalis display that is not in Warhammer World: https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/6068994686867709921?authkey=CKaF682N9oWwQw

Those shots from Warhammer World are amazing. I've been out of the loop with miniature building for a while (no time, no work space) but those dioramas and displays are really inspiring. Thank you for this.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Propitious Jerk posted:

Those shots from Warhammer World are amazing. I've been out of the loop with miniature building for a while (no time, no work space) but those dioramas and displays are really inspiring. Thank you for this.

You're welcome! I find looking at other people's work online is good motivation to keep going and finish whatever I'm working on at the moment, my modeling ADD runs out after a while and I want to finish what I'm doing so I can start something new (whatever of the dozens of projects I want to do NEXT!) - but sometimes even looking at pictures isn't enough and SEEing something firsthand is the real kick I need...so even though these are pictures, knowing I've been there and have a reminder of the magnificent models, armies, and displays I've seen in person is the real kick I need to keep going...

...if that makes any sense! :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Finally got around to editing these, so now I get to post all these pics

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I know...I had to get my own that I'm going to Chaos up and weather the hell out of. I'd consider entering it in the new Golden Daemon Tanks competition, just to see what that's like, but it takes place the day after I come back from a work trip.