Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is it possible to set a custom resolution? I can't find in any .ini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bears are absolutely pathetic. Take forever to kill though.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't understand Gwent at all.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

iCe-CuBe. posted:

I like how the "if you clear out an area people will move in ON THEIR OWN" crap wound up just being 'clear landmark, cutscene plays, people appear'. That's literally as scripted as you can get
First time I came across one of those areas the enemies didn't appear and I thought the random bear off to the side was the target

Manatee Cannon posted:

Bears are absolutely pathetic. Take forever to kill though.
Yeah they don't do much damage despite being level 6, are easy to dodge and vulnerable to fire

teraflame posted:

Is it possible to set a custom resolution? I can't find in any .ini
Check Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings

Xenoith
Aug 30, 2011

by Ralp

Ravenfood posted:

Is that one of the crafting ones? I'm always wary crafting blades because I'm afraid I won't have enough components later, but the two Viper blades you can get from that crypt are really, really nice. Come with bonus experience to monsters/people, too. I only made the silver one and am looking for a source of emerald dust for the steel now; anyone know of any?

Anyone got any good skill combinations? The general tree skill that gives you better Vit regen during the day seems worthwhile, but only because that's your only way of regaining health without expending some kind of resources (or a fuckton of time) on the higher difficulties.

Apparently what I got was a yellow quality random drop. I reloaded the game and it was something else. :shrug:

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
In Saints Row 4 if you clear a node some of your homies start spawning at the node in purple colors, and they didnt bill that as a new and revolutionary feature

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

iCe-CuBe. posted:

In Saints Row 4 if you clear a node some of your homies start spawning at the node in purple colors, and they didnt bill that as a new and revolutionary feature

You seem pretty upset by this.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Verranicus posted:

You seem pretty upset by this.

I just think it's stupid PR crap, lol

Xenoith
Aug 30, 2011

by Ralp

lol holy poo poo I reloaded and found this in the crypt above mills, it's a randomized drop.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah but you need to collect alcohol for the auto refills.
Don't go around picking every flower like the retard 100% streamers :smith:

Wait, really? gently caress, I have wasted so much time.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

g-c posted:

Do you ever find out if the swallow potion helps Lena? It's said that it could take a couple days and a couple days later no more info. I'm assuming it did?

Just looking around online, you do find out later from her lover in Velen that the potion saved her life but the toxins in it destroyed her mind. So basically about what I expect from a choice in this game.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Kimmalah posted:

Just looking around online, you do find out later from her lover in Velen that the potion saved her life but the toxins in it destroyed her mind. So basically about what I expect from a choice in this game.

gently caress... :smith:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

I don't know what I expected :smith:.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I never finished the first Witcher, and so never started the second. Should I abandon the first, start the second and catch up with this thread whenever I get the chance?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, I guess I'm not surprised. Bummer but what could you have done?

Also that quest gives 350 experience, gently caress not doing it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Keeping in mind that I don't have the game yet, so I'm just pulling that off a wiki.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

So I never finished the first Witcher, and so never started the second. Should I abandon the first, start the second and catch up with this thread whenever I get the chance?

The first witcher is not a bad game but it hasn't aged well. Skip it and download a save if you care that much about contiuity.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Playing with a controller feels better than it did in Witcher 2, though I haven't tried keyboard/mouse with this one yet and I probably won't until tomorrow. Anyone here playing with keyboard/mouse and like it better than the controller?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

iCe-CuBe. posted:

I like how the "if you clear out an area people will move in ON THEIR OWN" crap wound up just being 'clear landmark, cutscene plays, people appear'. That's literally as scripted as you can get

How else are you gonna do that :confused:
Would you prefer to meditate for a couple of months until the Simcity macro migration AI decides to send wagons with excess settlers from the cities?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Shinjobi posted:

Yes. Read the Wiki to get the story from Witcher 1, download a save, and play through 2.

EDIT: Only played for an hour or so, but so far my only complaint is that the grass looks a bit wonky.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
For people that can't find the Herbalist after completing the first monster mission, the Gryphon quest (a separate quest) will mark it as a place of interest. She's out in the middle of the sticks to west of the main town.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I can't decide how I feel about changing the way you get more potions. Not having to worry about hoarding materials for Swallow potions is swell, I guess. But not being able to make more without meditating feels odd to me. I mean, you only have to meditate an hour, but it still feels off, somehow.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

Skip at least the first Witcher. I played through both Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 ahead of this game's launch ~* for the back story *~, and the only thing I gained from Witcher 1 was a permanent hatred of swamp areas.

Witcher 2 is a good game though, and you probably won't like going back to it after playing Witcher 3 because I think it's mechanically more awkward, so you should probably play it first if you care to play it.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Once I leave the prologue area, can I come back? If not, is there any thing I should grab before leaving?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Kimmalah posted:

Open World RPG Rule #1. Unfortunately you learned it the hard way, as we all have at some point.

Yep. Last time I had to do this was with Oblivion.

Thankfully, I found a way to cheese my way through the battle I was autosaved at. I found a corner, held down the parry button and ate everything in my inventory to get back to full health while I parried 3 attackers over and over. This game has so much talking and cut scenes, I don't think I could sit through all that a second time.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Is there an inventory limit, or does it add another row of slots when a tab fills up?

I'm not sure how I feel about the alchemy changes. On the one hand, it will be nice to skip farming every time you want to make more Swallow or whatever. On the other hand, flowers are everywhere and there are so many types to learn that I feel compelled to pick them all instead of worrying about looking for specific ones.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just wanted to say this game is great, loving it so far. And to anyone still worrying about system requirements, I've got an i5 760 with an AMD 270X and 8 gigs of ram. I can run the game at around 60 fps on high at 1440p and it still looks really good.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

NeurosisHead posted:

I can't decide how I feel about changing the way you get more potions. Not having to worry about hoarding materials for Swallow potions is swell, I guess. But not being able to make more without meditating feels odd to me. I mean, you only have to meditate an hour, but it still feels off, somehow.

Going into meditation in order to make potions isn't exactly new, it's just before you didn't have to do it for a set period of time.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

Playing with a controller feels better than it did in Witcher 2, though I haven't tried keyboard/mouse with this one yet and I probably won't until tomorrow. Anyone here playing with keyboard/mouse and like it better than the controller?

I'm playing with keyboard/mouse and am kind of pissed off about it. They lock down half the goddamn keyboard and don't let you change it. :argh:
I hate when games do that; there's literally no goddamn reason in TYOOL 2015 to not let players bind whatever the gently caress they want to whatever the gently caress they want.
Seriously! gently caress.

Now I have to play through hours of semi-awkwardness and cramped fingers and such poo poo before I can get used to this mostly-default control scheme that pisses me off.

(Also, there are a few dumbass things, like even though you're stuck with WASD for movement whether you like it or not, the tutorial calls it "W, S, left, right". :downs:)

(Also, how the gently caress do you sheath your sword? The tutorial prompted me to use "C", which I have bound to something else, and "Sheath Sword" doesn't show up in the keybindings?)

Edit: Figured it out--draw/sheath is the same key.

Also, even though the keybinding nonsense makes me furious, the game is gorgeous and seems really cool so far, even though I haven't gotten that far.

Edit2: Okay, it looks like maybe I can manually gently caress with the input.settings file and change things however I want...assuming that won't break things horribly. I guess we'll see tomorrow, since I need to get some sleep. Here's hoping...

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 19, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jesus, just starting out pretty much everything can kill you in three hits. I wander off the path just a little bit and I have to roll around like crazy to avoid being torn apart by drowners.

Think I need to stick to some non-combat quests to level up first...

I do like the tracking system. It requires at least a little effort on your part. It's not quite as intensely crazy as the one time in Metal Gear Solid 4 where you had to follow a bunch of misleading tracks going everywhere, complete with amusing decoys...

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
how many hours in does one have their first romantic "encounter" :ohdear:
wehther living or dead bring it on im geralt :raise:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Game just locked up as I was wandering the first real open area and was about to take me down some griffins. Welp.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Has anyone who pre-purchased from Greenman Gaming had the 'no key in the email' problem? If so, have you had it resolved yet?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Wouldn't be a Witcher game without typos. :allears:

Only an hour in before oh-poo poo-work-in-the-morning. I will share the impressions I have that many have already expressed:

Game is gorgeous.
Facial expressions/animations are loving incredible.
Knock on wood so far no crashes or glitches.

NOW! The one issue I have is that the volume seems REAL low. I thought maybe my in-line volume got hit but I checked and it was maxed. The game, both in cinematics and in actual gameplay are relatively quiet compared to anything else. I finished TW2 earlier tonight and it was standard volume and after quitting TW3 I blasted some music and nearly went deaf so it's not my system. In-game volume is maxed however so I don't know what's up, maybe it's just me. :tinfoil:

Also I have no idea if I picked the right TW2 save to import. It listed EVERY SINGLE SAVE I had so I picked the latest autosave and went with it. That said, the timestamp was wrong (May 19th 3:28PM) so...

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sostratos posted:

I'm having a strange texture issue that I can't figure out.

The pattern on the ground isn't there for a couple of seconds after I load into the game, but it always pops back in. Any idea what could be going wrong?

I've been getting that as well and I also don't know why. A new GPU driver just showed up on GeForce Experience, maybe that will fix it. :shrug:

Edit: It did indeed seem to fix it, cool

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 19, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wouldn't be a Witcher game without typos. :allears:

Took me a minute, it's really buried in there. :v:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

neurotech posted:

Has anyone who pre-purchased from Greenman Gaming had the 'no key in the email' problem? If so, have you had it resolved yet?

Didn't have a key in my email but logged on to the site and got it there.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What's with all the monsters resetting while I'm fighting them? Is this game online only or something, why is this even a thing?? </random rant>

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm like 5 hours in and still in the prologue, it's awesome. There's a quest which gives you a disgustingly good matching pair of swords hidden out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Meowbot posted:

how many hours in does one have their first romantic "encounter" :ohdear:
wehther living or dead bring it on im geralt :raise:

I'm not sure, but just reading through character bios it sounds like you might be getting Foltest's sloppy seconds.

Also there's someone named Whoreson Junior :laffo: (I don't know if names alone count as spoilers, so being extra cautious.)