Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Vanilla 4e was my ex's first RPG, and aside from her being the kind of person who got actual angry when her character got severely hurt, was easy enough for her to grasp.

I think the best way to introduce someone to RPGs via 4e is to not overthink it.

Also to use a character builder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Letting people choose their own powers is not overwhelming and gives a lot of player agency. Personally, I think guiding them through feat selection is more important to streamlining the whole character progression/creation process, but looking at something like Brash Strike and choosing to take it over other options is clear enough.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

GimmickMan posted:

I personally like the Level 1 Forever damage expressions and (especially) the Nightmare Mode expressions in the followup post. They even come in handy pdf form!

Interesting! Thanks for this, I'll probably use the "Level 1 Forever" type for my PbP game in the future!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Sorry for double-posting but... I know I asked here about Inherent Bonuses before, but how do you guys handle critical hits with it? Just add the 1d6 damage per enhancement level and forget about it?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

frajaq posted:

Sorry for double-posting but... I know I asked here about Inherent Bonuses before, but how do you guys handle critical hits with it? Just add the 1d6 damage per enhancement level and forget about it?
Precisely, yep.

Also give free masterwork armor.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

frajaq posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how it works in Dark Sun, which was released after the DMG2.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
For those interested Chroma Squad is out and has a 4e style combat system. Probably the most 4e in feel computer game yet released.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

fez_machine posted:

For those interested Chroma Squad is out and has a 4e style combat system. Probably the most 4e in feel computer game yet released.

I dunno, I reckon XCOM managed to be a pretty good 4E video game.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Letting people choose their own powers is not overwhelming and gives a lot of player agency. Personally, I think guiding them through feat selection is more important to streamlining the whole character progression/creation process, but looking at something like Brash Strike and choosing to take it over other options is clear enough.

I realise now that what I mostly meant was 'Can you take Defender Aura or Heroic Slayer on a normal Fighter, choosing At-will's and attacks as normal?' but thanks for the tip. :)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Champions/HERO was my first proper longer than a few sessions delve in and learning the mechanics shot at playing PnP with people.

4th Ed compared to "you need algebra equations for literally everything" Champions/HEROS was a quick study and I love this thing. Much to the joy of some internet pals, because their gaming in person friends loathe 4th ed with the fury of a thousand suns.

But more importantly, I was playing it with some internet pals I already knew. Not people who tell me straight faced "Your expensive immunity to poison and bio weapons shouldn't work against poison and bioweapons, it's not fair to players and enemies who took a cost discount disadvantage if making attacks poisonous". I have also been told using super strength to swing park benches (for less damage than punching or using space alien ray gun) is abusing the system and if I want to keep that poo poo up I'll have to buy a separate reach melee attack.

Me and my 4th ed pubbie pals are also all convinced Drakes are the biggest threat in existence. A weredrake would probably gently caress up a small continent.

fez_machine posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing but it seems to be working out so far through season 2. My only gently caress up on "beat the boss with a finisher!" was my very first critical attack occuring and vaporizing them early :downs:

Fun though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Torchlighter posted:

I realise now that what I mostly meant was 'Can you take Defender Aura or Heroic Slayer on a normal Fighter, choosing At-will's and attacks as normal?' but thanks for the tip. :)

The latter, in particular, would be fairly unbalancing, as fighters are already fairly strong strikers without an extra stat to damage.

The former would not be problematic, and indeed would weaken fighters significantly at heroic and paragon.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Section Z posted:

Champions/HERO was my first proper longer than a few sessions delve in and learning the mechanics shot at playing PnP with people.

4th Ed compared to "you need algebra equations for literally everything" Champions/HEROS was a quick study and I love this thing. Much to the joy of some internet pals, because their gaming in person friends loathe 4th ed with the fury of a thousand suns.

But more importantly, I was playing it with some internet pals I already knew. Not people who tell me straight faced "Your expensive immunity to poison and bio weapons shouldn't work against poison and bioweapons, it's not fair to players and enemies who took a cost discount disadvantage if making attacks poisonous". I have also been told using super strength to swing park benches (for less damage than punching or using space alien ray gun) is abusing the system and if I want to keep that poo poo up I'll have to buy a separate reach melee attack.

Me and my 4th ed pubbie pals are also all convinced Drakes are the biggest threat in existence. A weredrake would probably gently caress up a small continent.

I have no idea what I'm doing but it seems to be working out so far through season 2. My only gently caress up on "beat the boss with a finisher!" was my very first critical attack occuring and vaporizing them early :downs:

Fun though.

You still using MM1 straight up? I seem to remember, Rage Drakes I think, being insanely tough for their level and stuff.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Prison Warden posted:

You still using MM1 straight up? I seem to remember, Rage Drakes I think, being insanely tough for their level and stuff.

That was the case yeah. Not a lot of enemy customization since we were mostly running out of modules and admittedly, our pace is very slow for various life and getting distracted with other characters reasons. Most recently we're all just running some level 1 stuff to check "Characters we never used but wanted to see if we instantly hated them" in the field repeatedly.

We only recently hit Paragon in Scales Of War, and that first module was basically the hardest one so far. Some real stand out :wtc: DCs in the earlier modules we ignored though, like "Level 1, DC 30 acrobatics check to climb onto the bar counter. Climbing onto bar tables is 1 extra move tile". As the only one with an insider account of us, I tend to live in a separate Errata implemented by default world anyways, and way back when we first started that was admittedly a bit of a sticking point.

Getting even a few levels under the belt, on top of me remembering my Artificer has a "cash this in for your surge value+CON in THP as a free action" buff instead of trying to use his direct heal to make the clerics life much easier helped. The alchemical item Beastbane is also loving hilarious.

Man, as long as I have a big fuckoff crossbow I don't care what magical gear my 4th ed Artificer has, I just like his powers a lot. Provided I can use them via giant crossbow, I don't think I'd like it as much if I was using the default prescribed simple weaponry+implement.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prison Warden posted:

Un-errata'd needlefang drake swarms are pure loving murder. Three chances to prone you per round, two attacks with extra damage against you when you're prone, resistance to most of the attacks a low-level party will have...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm so proud of my players. We've been doing this for three or four years and they're starting to actively synergize within the party. They'll be flying on their own soon :allears:

In this case it's taking the form of two of them picking Vicious Advantage. The Invoker can slow multiple enemies at-will, so that's a pretty decent deal.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So after reading the monster manuals a bit I understand better the roles they all have, but I'm having trouble understanding the technical parts of using Lurker enemies. Like how does Stealth works in-combat for Sneak Attacks and the like.

For example this skaven wererat Lurker didn't manage to hide in time as the adventurers stormed the room where his clan is gathered. He's visible from round 1 but then decides he want sneak attack the party. What sequence of actions would he take?

frajaq fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 6, 2015

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
The Hidden condition & hiding in general is one of 4e's more complicated things, but basically if you have Total Concealment or Total Cover (the Invisible condition is one common-ish way of getting this, but other environmental effects/powers can grant it) you can make a Stealth Check vs the passive perception of the creatures you're trying to Hide from, generally at the end of a Move action.

While hidden, you have CA on any attack and people have to guess where you are (so if they want to attack you, they have to guess your square; in the case of a DM controlled character, generally you take the mini off the board). You lose the Hidden condition if you attack. If you move, you have to make the stealth check again (if you're hidden already, you only need normal Concealment or Cover to maintain the condition). If you move more than 2 squares, you take a -5 to the check; Running imposes a -10. If something causes you to lose the Hidden condition (like attacking), you keep the benefits until the end of the action that reveals you (so an attack from a Hidden foe has CA even though it becomes revealed).

If you hide from some (but not all) of your enemies, you're still considered Hidden from those you succeeded against, but their comrades you failed against will be able to call you out (so they can take the guesswork out the targeting process for their friends).

Generally Lurkers have abilities that make it easier to Hide or otherwise skulk around the battlefield, but those are the basics of Hiding as I recall off my head.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

frajaq posted:

So after reading the monster manuals a bit I understand better the roles they all have, but I'm having trouble understanding the technical parts of using Lurker enemies. Like how does Stealth works in-combat for Sneak Attacks and the like.

For example this skaven wererat Lurker didn't manage to hide in time as the adventurers stormed the room where his clan is gathered. He's visible from round 1 but then decides he want sneak attack the party. What sequence of actions would he take?
Does he require being Hidden to use his special attack thing, or does he require Combat Advantage?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So, would it be possible to create a Final Fantasy Blue Mage-type Class and not have be completely broken? I'm somewhat of a newb at 4E, and I always liked the idea of stealing powers from monsters you fight.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Generic Octopus posted:

The Hidden condition & hiding in general is one of 4e's more complicated things, but basically if you have Total Concealment or Total Cover (the Invisible condition is one common-ish way of getting this, but other environmental effects/powers can grant it) you can make a Stealth Check vs the passive perception of the creatures you're trying to Hide from, generally at the end of a Move action.

While hidden, you have CA on any attack and people have to guess where you are (so if they want to attack you, they have to guess your square; in the case of a DM controlled character, generally you take the mini off the board). You lose the Hidden condition if you attack. If you move, you have to make the stealth check again (if you're hidden already, you only need normal Concealment or Cover to maintain the condition). If you move more than 2 squares, you take a -5 to the check; Running imposes a -10. If something causes you to lose the Hidden condition (like attacking), you keep the benefits until the end of the action that reveals you (so an attack from a Hidden foe has CA even though it becomes revealed).

If you hide from some (but not all) of your enemies, you're still considered Hidden from those you succeeded against, but their comrades you failed against will be able to call you out (so they can take the guesswork out the targeting process for their friends).

Generally Lurkers have abilities that make it easier to Hide or otherwise skulk around the battlefield, but those are the basics of Hiding as I recall off my head.

Ok. So on a battlefield with pillars that grant Total Cover and boxes that grant Partial Cover.

Wererat Lurker Turn 1: Move action going behind pillar -> Stealth check vs Passive Perception of the group. Let's say he passes.

Wererat substitutes Standard Action for a Move Action -> move towards crates, getting closer to the player's party. Another Stealth Check but with -2 penalty since he moved more than 2 squares. He passes again.

Wererat Lurker Turn 2: A player is in range of an encounter power of the Lurker that requires him to be Hidden. He leaps at the player and does huge damage if he hits, the attack roll gets +2 because of CA

Did I do this right?

Zereth posted:

Does he require being Hidden to use his special attack thing, or does he require Combat Advantage?

Yeah lets say he needs Hidden to do a powerful special attack.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

frajaq posted:

Lurkers are ... hard.

WotC didn't actually figure them out until Monster Vault or maybe a bit before, in DSCC. Here's the basics.

Don't worry about the stealth and hiding rules. That's not the essence of being a Lurker. Lurkers stay safe on rounds alternating with double damage whammy attacks.

One of my favorite Lurkers doesn't hide at all - the Thri Kreen Ambusher from DSCC. They have a low-damage 'spear spin' attack that gives them +5 to all their defenses for a round and recharges a Psionic Boost whammy. So some rounds they are nearly impossible to hit and do 1d8+2 damage. The round after that, they deal 2d8+2d6+4 damage. Other Lurkers might spend a Standard action to turn invisible and shift/teleport, then attack at double strength the following round. Or spend a Standard action burrowing underground, and then emerge in a big explosion for a round. You get the pattern. :)

Lurkers are really hard to get right, and you shouldn't feel bad if you mostly just conflate them with Skirmishers. I think that's pretty well how they work in MM1, for example.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

frajaq posted:

Ok. So on a battlefield with pillars that grant Total Cover and boxes that grant Partial Cover.

Wererat Lurker Turn 1: Move action going behind pillar -> Stealth check vs Passive Perception of the group. Let's say he passes.

Wererat substitutes Standard Action for a Move Action -> move towards crates, getting closer to the player's party. Another Stealth Check but with -2 penalty since he moved more than 2 squares. He passes again.

Wererat Lurker Turn 2: A player is in range of an encounter power of the Lurker that requires him to be Hidden. He leaps at the player and does huge damage if he hits, the attack roll gets +2 because of CA

Did I do this right?

Yeah lets say he needs Hidden to do a powerful special attack.

Your sequence of events is essentially correct for a monster with powers that require stealth.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

-5 for more than 2 squares, but yea that's it.

Another little thing for the players (or you, if they start doing stealthy stuff): anybody can use a minor action to make an active Perception check to try to spot Hidden things in the area.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Do characters, whether friendly or hostile to the shooter, provide cover? I've been maneuvering my ranged attackers to have completely clear lines of sight to their targets.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do characters, whether friendly or hostile to the shooter, provide cover? I've been maneuvering my ranged attackers to have completely clear lines of sight to their targets.

You use your allies as cover, but not your enemies. This cover can't normally be used for stealth.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cover provided by creatures also counts only against ranged attacks.

e:

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, would it be possible to create a Final Fantasy Blue Mage-type Class and not have be completely broken? I'm somewhat of a newb at 4E, and I always liked the idea of stealing powers from monsters you fight.
Tricky. I think you would definitely have to plug in your own attack bonus for whatever monster power you're using, and you'd probably want to use standardized-to-PC-maths damage expressions too. Beyond that it's all just monster power effects, and those tend to be less complex than PC powers. It would also be hard to assign encounter or daily limits.

That, or you make up the class like any other, but with a twist on power gaining - there is a list of Blue Mage powers, but you only gain each one after you've witnessed it. The powers are suitable for use by monsters, and you have to have a cooperative DM who regularly adds Blue Mage powers to his monsters' repertoire. It would be sort of a gamechanger, quite literally, but potentially very interesting.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 6, 2015

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Blue mage :words:

Tricky. I think you would definitely have to plug in your own attack bonus for whatever monster power you're using, and you'd probably want to use standardized-to-PC-maths damage expressions too. Beyond that it's all just monster power effects, and those tend to be less complex than PC powers. It would also be hard to assign encounter or daily limits.

That, or you make up the class like any other, but with a twist on power gaining - there is a list of Blue Mage powers, but you only gain each one after you've witnessed it. The powers are suitable for use by monsters, and you have to have a cooperative DM who regularly adds Blue Mage powers to his monsters' repertoire. It would be sort of a gamechanger, quite literally, but potentially very interesting.

The gimmick of the blue mage is that they, over time gather an eclectic multitude of powers, which contradicts the very tight ADEU system of 4e. Either you could just reskin the standard mage/arcanist and get your regular level powers after observing a bad guy (and you also conveniently level up), or allow the player to swap to the elemental aspect of enemy spells after being hit by them.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Just spitballing but you could make a character that 'stores' abilities against the monsters being fought.

Consider an encounter power that lets you 'store' a monster's damage expression after being targeted by it. Your next attack becomes (X), which is the damage that the monster used against you. It could be the dice size you store, or the actual amount of damage, or the bonus the monster gains, or something. Consider another encounter power that lets you store the non-damaging portion of the attack, or a Daily power that just lets you pre-preemptively steal any power from a monster you're fighting.

I could come up with some great stuff and it'd all fit into AEDU but I'm not sure how balanced it would be.

EDIT: The can of worms is that monster powers aren't balanced around other PCs; they're balanced around other monsters. So anything that borrows attacks from monsters is going to explore unintended design space and that could be either really lackluster or really broken. I'd recommend anything that lets you adjust your powers based on the monsters you're fighting, though to what extent would require a lot of testing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm sure it would be possible, but realistically the best way to do it would be flavouring your powers appropriately on your class of choice...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you had a tight system to determine what kind of monster power would be an at-will, encounter or daily power for a PC, it would be easy. Blue Mage class feature: when you witness a monster power, you can store it for later use. You still only get as many at-wills, encounters and dailies as any other class at your level. But I'm pretty sure there are very few monsters with powers that approach the level of PC dailies. Maybe another class feature that let you turn a usually-encounter power (assuming you had a way to determine) into a daily by adding specific entries, like "Miss: half damage" or if it's a (save ends) effect, "Miss: effect applies until the end of your next turn".

Hard to say without knowing the entire Monster Vault by heart, which is at least in line with playing Blue Mages in Final Fantasy.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Zeitgeist's Player's Guide had the Martial Scientist theme, which lets you swap out your theme power for various other abilities that you learn from NPCs during the game. No idea how it works in practice though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thanks for the answers guys. Yeah, that's about what I figured out. Still, an interesting thought experiment.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Blue Mage would depend on two things. First, what are you looking for? Blue Magic in Final Fantasy has a long and varied history, from being on a class of its own to be the super move of some characters.

So we need to look at what you want. Do you want Blue Magic, or to be a Blue Mage? They're not quite the same. It'd be pretty easy to make a Kimahri or Quistis, flavor wise. If an enemy busts out some sort of flashy move, steal its flavor for one of your upcoming powers. Hell, with DM permission you could even have one of your new powers in a sort of indeterminate state until you decide that yes, this move right here you just got hit with that happens to be shockingly similar to a Fighter Level 7 Encounter Power has been learned by your Blue Mage and strike back with it, or get it at the end of the fight, or whatever.

Now, if you're looking for a fully fledged Blue Mage, that's harder. First, you need to use swords. Of all the pure Blue Mages (FFV, FFTA, FFTA2, FFVI), everyone but Strago uses swords as a primary weapon. If you wanted to go Strago style, look below. Swords limits you some, but I'd say the best option is Swordmage. It's got a bunch of different elements and effects that your DM could mix into enemy usage, and you could get hit by and learn. Their general armor and stats (light, Intelligence focused) fits a Blue Mage as well.

Alternatively, if you really want to be Strago, go for a Cleric or Wizard. Or, hell, Sorcerer and Invoker work too. The key with this setup is that you're picking up the more kooky and supportive moves and flavoring them to be Blue Mage styled (come on, you can see a Cleric dropping down Mighty Guard and White Wind, right?).

With either of these setups, you need a cooperative DM, and that's the most important part. You can't be a Blue Mage if every enemy is just autoattacking with boring at wills for sixteen damage and it's your turn now get off your phone. You need a cooperative DM who'd be willing to mix in stuff that looks similar to PC powers (even if the damage expressions are different). Without that, your theme and flavor will kind of just...be there. Of course, that's what it's like with most character concepts if your DM isn't into them. It's a cooperative storytelling experience, after all.

There's also the less detailed execution of the concept. Have your DM use the Divine Boon rules from...DMG2, I think? Use those, and every couple of levels you get hit with the new baddie's super move, which you get as an encounter or daily. Of course, you can't go around with ten new powers, but if some cycle out, or maybe you choose every level or extended rest one or two to bring a la wizard's spellbook and just staple that onto your existing character. This requires a bit more prep work mechanically, and this'll obviously come out of your share of the loot, but it might work out better than relying on your DM remembering to hit you with one of five moves on one monster's list an hour into a random fight. This also has the upside of your class and role being able to be a fully functional member of the party, and not having to balance your character gimmick with crucial powers to support your team.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I hope no one minds me asking, but is this character any good? Can he be made better? I am no expert with the system.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

I hope no one minds me asking, but is this character any good? Can he be made better? I am no expert with the system.

If you had taken Dragonfear instead of the Breath Weapon and if your DM allows you to take Born Under a Bad Sign/Auspicious Birth for a background, there's no reason to put any points in CON. The reason to do this would be to boost your other powers that have CHA riders.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

homullus posted:

If you had taken Dragonfear instead of the Breath Weapon and if your DM allows you to take Born Under a Bad Sign/Auspicious Birth for a background, there's no reason to put any points in CON. The reason to do this would be to boost your other powers that have CHA riders.
The breath should be fine since he's using STR as the attack stat.

But I agree about the CON. Even without BUaBS, on a Thaneborn your priority should probably be STR > CHA > DEX > CON.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Covok posted:

Since you didn't take the Whirling Slayer you would need an Off-Hand weapon in your off hand to use Whirling Frenzy, which is also the only dual weapon attack you have. You'll probably want a proper two handed weapon; I'm fond of Mauls if you don't want to spend a feat on Superior Weapon Proficiency, I really love the Mordenkrad if you can live with one less feat.

To jump on with what homullus said, either put more points into Cha to make being Thaneborn worth it or switch over to Rageblood and become the murder train.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Covok posted:

I went over it and I made some changes.
code:
Dragonborn, Barbarian, Draeven Marauder
Feral Might: Thaneborn Triumph
Dragonborn Subrace: Standard Dragonborn Racial Traits
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 13, Dex 15, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 13.

AC: 24 Fort: 26 Reflex: 23 Will: 23
HP: 88 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 23

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Intimidate +16, Athletics +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +5, Heal +7, History +6, Insight +7, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +4, Stealth +6, Streetwise +9, Thievery +6

FEATS
Level 1: Spear Expertise
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Gouge)
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Axe)
Level 6: Battle Awareness
Level 8: Novice Power
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Deadly Axe

POWERS
Barbarian at-will 1: Pressing Strike
Barbarian at-will 1: Howling Strike
Barbarian encounter 1: Escalating Violence
Barbarian daily 1: Thunder Hooves Rage
Barbarian utility 2: Shrug It Off
Barbarian encounter 3: Shatterbone Strike (retrained to Rain of Blows at Novice Power)
Barbarian daily 5: Rage of the Crimson Hurricane
Barbarian utility 6: Run Rampant
Barbarian encounter 7: Curtain of Steel
Barbarian daily 9: Oak Hammer Rage
Barbarian utility 10: Wellspring of Renewal

ITEMS
Dread Gouge +2, Bestial Hide Armor +2, Periapt of Cascading Health +2, Strikebacks (heroic tier)
I've attempted to preserve the idea of "Thaneborn Dragonborn with an Axe" with these changes. It's not an especially optimized build, but it's solid and should fit well into most groups.

Some of the changes:
  • Went from dual-battleaxe to the Gouge, which is a giant two-handed spear-axe of awesomeness.
  • Took Battle Awareness to open up Draeven Marauder, which gives you a 19-20 crit range on your giant spearaxe.
  • Switched out Shatterbone Strike for Rain of Blows, which is a three-hit fighter power for you since you've got a spear and 15+ Dex.
  • Changed out magical items for better fitting ones of the same levels. Kept the Dread property.
  • Curtain of Steel and Strikebacks give you two off-turn attacks against people who attack you. Battle Awareness lets you make an off-turn attack against somebody who DOESN'T attack you. You can only make one of these attacks per turn, but it's a lot of nice options and you're going to get to hit SOMEBODY.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ImpactVector posted:

The breath should be fine since he's using STR as the attack stat.

But I agree about the CON. Even without BUaBS, on a Thaneborn your priority should probably be STR > CHA > DEX > CON.

Barbs should generally go STR>DEX>Whatever because otherwise their ACs tend to suck.

Or hybrid cleric, then it's not an issue.

Khizan posted:

I went over it and I made some changes.
code:
Dragonborn, Barbarian, Draeven Marauder
Feral Might: Thaneborn Triumph
Dragonborn Subrace: Standard Dragonborn Racial Traits
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 13, Dex 15, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 13.

AC: 24 Fort: 26 Reflex: 23 Will: 23
HP: 88 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 23

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Intimidate +16, Athletics +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +5, Heal +7, History +6, Insight +7, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +4, Stealth +6, Streetwise +9, Thievery +6

FEATS
Level 1: Spear Expertise
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Gouge)
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Axe)
Level 6: Battle Awareness
Level 8: Novice Power
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Deadly Axe

POWERS
Barbarian at-will 1: Pressing Strike
Barbarian at-will 1: Howling Strike
Barbarian encounter 1: Escalating Violence
Barbarian daily 1: Thunder Hooves Rage
Barbarian utility 2: Shrug It Off
Barbarian encounter 3: Shatterbone Strike (retrained to Rain of Blows at Novice Power)
Barbarian daily 5: Rage of the Crimson Hurricane
Barbarian utility 6: Run Rampant
Barbarian encounter 7: Curtain of Steel
Barbarian daily 9: Oak Hammer Rage
Barbarian utility 10: Wellspring of Renewal

ITEMS
Dread Gouge +2, Bestial Hide Armor +2, Periapt of Cascading Health +2, Strikebacks (heroic tier)
I've attempted to preserve the idea of "Thaneborn Dragonborn with an Axe" with these changes. It's not an especially optimized build, but it's solid and should fit well into most groups.

Some of the changes:
  • Went from dual-battleaxe to the Gouge, which is a giant two-handed spear-axe of awesomeness.
  • Took Battle Awareness to open up Draeven Marauder, which gives you a 19-20 crit range on your giant spearaxe.
  • Switched out Shatterbone Strike for Rain of Blows, which is a three-hit fighter power for you since you've got a spear and 15+ Dex.
  • Changed out magical items for better fitting ones of the same levels. Kept the Dread property.
  • Curtain of Steel and Strikebacks give you two off-turn attacks against people who attack you. Battle Awareness lets you make an off-turn attack against somebody who DOESN'T attack you. You can only make one of these attacks per turn, but it's a lot of nice options and you're going to get to hit SOMEBODY.
This here is all great advice. If you do go |Cleric, make your E1 Mighty Hew and your D1 Weapon of the Gods then forget about changing them for pretty much the rest of the life of the character.

NB: it's only one immediate per round, not per turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I know it's probably not an optimal weapon but I like the Double Axe because it's the only way to get a 1d10 offhand weapon I can recall off the top of my head.

A pal of mine was screwing around with a Bugbear(gets to use upsized weapons) with a Double axe to turn this into a 1d12 offhand weapon for their Tempest Fighter just for the 'biggest offhand weapon possible" principle of the matter (Gotta get that extra +1 damage for offhand! :downs:)

As for Divine Boons and similar, me and my pals all love Crimson Determination(level 4, 14, 24). because we are all suckers for "extra damaged vs bloodied :black101:" and it means we don't need to fill our hand slots with Gauntlets Of Blood (same price). I guess what I'm saying is we are all easily amused, and I constantly typo the word Gauntlet as gauntler.

EDIT: Mordenkrad is loving sweet though. Giant loving spiked hammer you can't roll lower than 4 on damage with.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 19, 2015