Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Oof, so I died once on Soulcrusher, but had one of those cool "resurrect in place" scrolls, so I popped it and proceeded to whoop him up and down. Then I was making decent progress until I got to a side room near the end where some dudes with halberds hosed me up right and proper. I just popped back to Lumbertown because Jesus Christ. Yech. Anywho, it went a little better this time. Maybe I just need to git gud. I also am keeping in mind that I'm doing stuff meant for 5 people including a tank and healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

make sure you're rocking your avatar weapon.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Tsurupettan posted:

make sure you're rocking your avatar weapon.

I am. Pixie Tube! I think a lot of it is that I've always played melee in mmos so not only am I not used to not face tanking, but I'm not used to this much movement.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
What should I be doing from 52-60 or so? I heard there is a big story quest chain 60-65 that I should follow for gear, but 52-60 is getting slow even with boosts.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Farg posted:

What should I be doing from 52-60 or so? I heard there is a big story quest chain 60-65 that I should follow for gear, but 52-60 is getting slow even with boosts.
I did Saleron's Sky Garden until 58, then I did some storyline questing and monster grinding in Val Tirkai that got me to 60. There are dungeons at 58 but they're a big jump up from Saleron. It is way more exp and much less wasted time to just find some densely-packed mobs out in the world you can kill a dozen at a time for millions of exp. Then at 60 you drop everything and head to the storyline.

Also enchant your avatar weapon to +9 whenever you get one. It's cheap as poo poo if you do BAMs and dungeons since the game showers you in feedstock and alkahest.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am confused here. Do I apply to NFA or DGKK?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Pierson posted:

I did Saleron's Sky Garden until 58, then I did some storyline questing and monster grinding in Val Tirkai that got me to 60. There are dungeons at 58 but they're a big jump up from Saleron. It is way more exp and much less wasted time to just find some densely-packed mobs out in the world you can kill a dozen at a time for millions of exp. Then at 60 you drop everything and head to the storyline.

Also enchant your avatar weapon to +9 whenever you get one. It's cheap as poo poo if you do BAMs and dungeons since the game showers you in feedstock and alkahest.

Reminder if you don't know, weapon shards are God's gift to feedstock.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I am confused here. Do I apply to NFA or DGKK?

Whatever your heart desires. DGKK is the less active pure goon guild, NFA is more active but /vg/ mixed with goons.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Does an A actually exist?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Okay I like this game pretty well so far, it's amazing how blatantly Neverwinter ripped off just about all the combat mechanics and features from Tera only the action isn't nearly as well implemented. I.e. this game is more fun to play. I also like that they didn't model everything in excessive polygonal detail so it runs a lot more smoothly. Is there a way to get things from the cash shop with ingame money?

I admire the Aman for their clear ponytail superiority.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

I'm having the most insane case of class selection paralysis right now. I've leveled a Lancer up pretty high now and I'm liking it a fair bit, but I keep hearing cool things about the Warrior and I think the prospect of being able to fill a tank role or a damage one to be pretty cool. That, and having more evasion options and i-frames sounds really cool. On the bad side I hear Warrior is insanely over played not very good in PvP (and that Lancer is King gently caress of PvP right now). I'm also curious about the damage oriented melee classes now too, and I hear the Berserker is going to be able to tank in a future patch. I'm sort of looking for the perfect combination of in demand, not overplayed, but also not lovely or shallow class to play, bonus points if it looks cool as a Popori. Should I just stick with Lancer for this or dedicate some time to leveling a Warrior or a Berserker/Slayer?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Okay I like this game pretty well so far, it's amazing how blatantly Neverwinter ripped off just about all the combat mechanics and features from Tera only the action isn't nearly as well implemented. I.e. this game is more fun to play. I also like that they didn't model everything in excessive polygonal detail so it runs a lot more smoothly. Is there a way to get things from the cash shop with ingame money?

I admire the Aman for their clear ponytail superiority.

Depends on the item. Some of them are available for sale via trading with other players or selling on the brokerage, some are available via seasonal events, others aren't available at all.

brennon posted:

I'm having the most insane case of class selection paralysis right now. I've leveled a Lancer up pretty high now and I'm liking it a fair bit, but I keep hearing cool things about the Warrior and I think the prospect of being able to fill a tank role or a damage one to be pretty cool. That, and having more evasion options and i-frames sounds really cool. On the bad side I hear Warrior is insanely over played not very good in PvP (and that Lancer is King gently caress of PvP right now). I'm also curious about the damage oriented melee classes now too, and I hear the Berserker is going to be able to tank in a future patch. I'm sort of looking for the perfect combination of in demand, not overplayed, but also not lovely or shallow class to play, bonus points if it looks cool as a Popori. Should I just stick with Lancer for this or dedicate some time to leveling a Warrior or a Berserker/Slayer?

Depends, Lancer is good if you're a fun person irl who has lots of friends, a good job, and a satisfying lifestyle and the other classes are good if you're a fat schmuck who smells bad and sits in his basement all day.

Yeah I play Lancer, why?

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

The classes are different enough that I would suggest trying them out yourself. And sometimes that feeling for a class changes as they get more skills.
So this xp event is perfect for that, you level up ridiculously quickly and get a good quick feel for how they function.

Can't really tell you about pvp, except that it's a lot about how well you know the character you're playing. There's plenty of terrible pvpers like me to roll over if you know what you're doing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Depends on the item. Some of them are available for sale via trading with other players or selling on the brokerage, some are available via seasonal events, others aren't available at all.

Mainly I'm thinking about additional character slots, but I'm enjoying this enough that there is a chance I might put money in for that purpose I guess. Castanic Gunner is really making me grin and laugh out loud, the first time I triggered Burst Fire I about wet my pants. For the other slot I made an Aman Mystic so I can have gigantic ponytail which is a big deal for me :iamafag:

e: Seriously it's like the designers of Neverwinter looked at Tera and said "Okay these features are pretty great but they're way too fun, let's remove about 50% of the fun and start from there."

e:Oh dear look at that a free character slot. Thanks game!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 18, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

theultimo posted:

Does an A actually exist?

I've gotten 3 of the dragons so far and I haven't even been grinding hard at all. Probably just lucky, but I did the nagas on Serpentis Isle and the sand lizards (the ones that burrow and have big flower tails when idle).

Flesh Forge posted:

Mainly I'm thinking about additional character slots, but I'm enjoying this enough that there is a chance I might put money in for that purpose I guess. Castanic Gunner is really making me grin and laugh out loud, the first time I triggered Burst Fire I about wet my pants. For the other slot I made an Aman Mystic so I can have gigantic ponytail which is a big deal for me :iamafag:

e: Seriously it's like the designers of Neverwinter looked at Tera and said "Okay these features are pretty great but they're way too fun, let's remove about 50% of the fun and start from there."

e:Oh dear look at that a free character slot. Thanks game!

Unfortunately every other class except maybe reaper is a major step down in power from gunner. The power creep is real.

Also the biggest disappointment of the Amani, cool as they are, is that female Amani have nowhere near the variety of skin colors male Amani do, for no good reason.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It is worth getting every character to level 14 anyway because during this event it will net you a free 10-hour exp booster, and 14 is like an hour of playtime.

Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.
How often are people accepted into the Dragongod Knightkings guild? I applied last night as "SA: Kawaii Kiwi" and was curious how long it normally took. I'm not really holding my breath on it but I was just curious and it would be nice to have people in game to talk to about stuff. If it's really not that active, should I apply to the other guild? Thanks!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

For my third character slot I went with a high elf warrior because I enjoy being terrible at things. Also she rides sidesaddle :3:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Kawaii Kiwi posted:

How often are people accepted into the Dragongod Knightkings guild? I applied last night as "SA: Kawaii Kiwi" and was curious how long it normally took. I'm not really holding my breath on it but I was just curious and it would be nice to have people in game to talk to about stuff. If it's really not that active, should I apply to the other guild? Thanks!

Like once a day. NFA is way more active fwiw

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Lancer became enormously more fun once I realized that the dangerous part of Lancer is not the pointy end, but the Elin sized wall they're carrying around everywhere.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why are there no gold spammers in this game, that's creeping me out somewhat. Obviously the game is thriving, obviously there are people farming gold and selling it for real money, but I didn't see any advertisements ingame at all, what's up with that. In Neverwinter/Swordsman e.g. all forms of public chat are practically unusable because they're so littered with gibberish spam.

battle
Dec 20, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Why are there no gold spammers in this game, that's creeping me out somewhat. Obviously the game is thriving, obviously there are people farming gold and selling it for real money, but I didn't see any advertisements ingame at all, what's up with that. In Neverwinter/Swordsman e.g. all forms of public chat are practically unusable because they're so littered with gibberish spam.

well it's becuse you can trade gametime and other stuff for in-game currency, they did the smart thing VERY early in the game by adding ability to trade game time for gold, the gold spammers vanished within a few weeks of them adding that option.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

battle posted:

well it's becuse you can trade gametime and other stuff for in-game currency, they did the smart thing VERY early in the game by adding ability to trade game time for gold, the gold spammers vanished within a few weeks of them adding that option.

Roughly how much gold IS a month of TERA, by the way? I'm level 24 and have like 10g, but I'm sure I could be brokering a lot of stuff for more.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
The level 58 dungeons required by story quests suddenly have high item level requirements, what should I do?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Farg posted:

The level 58 dungeons required by story quests suddenly have high item level requirements, what should I do?
Grind monsters/BAMs for two levels in Val Tirkai or someplace then head to the expansion storyline.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

battle posted:

I don't think it's that simple, Neverwinter has dozens of items that can be bought for real cash and traded for ingame money and they don't have a subscription option at all. Also I see a lot of websites purporting to sell Tera gold, at least a few of them are probably phishing sites? NB: I am absolutely not interested at all in buying the poo poo I'm just thinking Tera's managed better and actively chases the spammers out of chat :shrug:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

chumbler posted:

Unfortunately every other class except maybe reaper is a major step down in power from gunner. The power creep is real.

Note: Ignore this guy he is incredibly wrong.

Berserkers are the eternal top dog DPS. I'm not sure where Reapers are exactly but they're close to middle of the pack.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 19, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

So far I've gotten gunner up to like 50ish and slayer up to 40ish, and honestly I think I might be doing more single target damage as a slayer than I did as an equivalent level gunner, and that's without being able to be behind stuff most of the time.

Gunner is still a lot of fun and a lot beefier, though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dudes this game is fun :ohdear:

So apparently extra character slots is a token that is tradeable and people sell them on brokerage, fyi. At ~5900 gold I guess that will take me "some time" to gather. I am a huge fag for having a lot of characters to dress up so it's a worthy goal for me.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Founder supremacy, 8 slots

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Founder supremacy, 8 slots

Yup, find a key if you can, even elite is only 4.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I applied to NFA with my characters, ready to be stripped ganked and kicked

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Now that people mention it I am legit curious about how Gunner and Reaper measure up to the other classes. I've only played Lancer to 65 and Gunner to 59 so far and Gunner does feel absolutely insane, but that might just be because I'm coming off'f Lancer that sometimes took a half-minute to kill something. Are they really overpowered as hell and able to dance away from all trouble, or are they over-hyped and it's just a case of incredibly flashy effects combined with lots of mobility?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So I did the first dungeon with my Mystic and a bunch of random people who had queued, and we didn't have a proper tank but it still went very well with me just kinda trying to throw some healing here and there and trying not to get lost. One of the 3 gunners did die once on the first boss but other than that everyone stayed up. I have no idea how to keep track of people without target selection and following, when everyone's bouncing and rolling around the room like a bunch of fruits but it was fun anyway.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Flesh Forge posted:

So I did the first dungeon with my Mystic and a bunch of random people who had queued, and we didn't have a proper tank but it still went very well with me just kinda trying to throw some healing here and there and trying not to get lost. One of the 3 gunners did die once on the first boss but other than that everyone stayed up. I have no idea how to keep track of people without target selection and following, when everyone's bouncing and rolling around the room like a bunch of fruits but it was fun anyway.

I am leveling a priest and the first dungeon where you actually have to start paying attention to health bars is Sabex armory (61).

I am having the same issue though - not only is everyone constantly running around but friendly health bars are so tiny and get OBSCURED by boss models which just makes me go :psyduck: . Am I missing a setting in options somewhere that would make them bigger at least?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

How necessary are doing dailies? I hate doing dailies. I am looking for a game to play because I am bored of all my other poo poo and I haven't played TERA in forever. Just wondering if this is something I can get back into or not.

Edit:

I have Founder status. Neat. Also apparently my two characters (10 and 16 so who cares) are on Tempest Reach..which I guess was the old goon server? So if I start back up I'll be making a new character on Mount Tyrannas. Could there be anything on either of these lowbies that I'd somehow not want to lose by going to a new server? (Probably not, but just want to make sure).

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 19, 2015

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah healing is nuts, the lock on spells help, but it is like cirque de solei in battles. It's very fun dosing/tanking, but it can get confusing healing. I love a Warrior tanking, but it's really hard to keep track of your are healing.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I just discovered Ghillieglade and wish I'd been doing it daily instead of the Vanguard ones. I skip the BAMs and get the tree in about 8 minutes. Four times a day gets me about 400g and a good bit of charms, ambit tokens and I've gotten a good Fire-something hoop/ring set, compared to running around killing the same things and collecting stuff for the VG dailies. Once geared, and with capable people, most dungeons go really fast, too, and give for decent daily items. Being in an Alliance and doing Vault as much as possible gives some good accessories and gold token things that give a good inner-armor loot box (once you get 80 of them, tho...). There's lots of alliance related stuff, too. Seems there's a variety of things to do, I'm still trying a lot out. Haven't really touched PVP content yet.

If anyone is on CH, I wouldn't mind joining for a few dungeons on my 65 Priest or Gunner. Only have a few friends playing and don't get together much. I'm going to start a lancer since that seems like something new to try. My slayer is at 51, but I don't know that I like it much. My brain is too slow so I need some range or heavy armor.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

How is PvP in tera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I made a gunner in this game but I didn't make it on the goon server because PVP irrationally annoys me, but it's pretty fun.

Got to like level 13 in like an hour and twenty minutes or so, andit's a lot of fun being able to fight 4-5 mobs as a gunner at once. I always hate MMOs where you have to go one by one.

• Locked thread