Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

Chrono Trigger does as well. I think I made it about halfway through the game before the loading times got to me. Which is, I guess, a testament to how good CT is.

Yeah, it's every SNES on PSX title Square released like FF: Origins and that other collection I didn't buy. Man, my friend and I were so amped to get home and play some Chrono Trigger. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ManOfTheYear posted:

What the hell is up with that? I bought Chrono Trigger on psn to play on my vita but that poo poo's unbearable.

I have been playing it on my Vita without noticing that issue. The only reason I even know it's a 'thing' is because so many people complain about it itt. You can, you know, look outside at the trees or something while you're waiting if the load time is really that obnoxious for you.

Same with FF Origins, y'all are just babies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I have been playing it on my Vita without noticing that issue. The only reason I even know it's a 'thing' is because so many people complain about it itt. You can, you know, look outside at the trees or something while you're waiting if the load time is really that obnoxious for you.

Same with FF Origins, y'all are just babies

It's abysmal dude. Every time you pause the game it's like 3 to 5 seconds, which you do nearly every few steps in a jrpg. It's a joke for that have happened with a rerelease that runs worse than the original.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I was playing FF6 on my iphone, then tried to do it on the PS1 anthology collection and I was like "aw hell naw."

Yeah, I just said the iOS version is better than the PS1, come at me thread

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was playing FF6 on my iphone, then tried to do it on the PS1 anthology collection and I was like "aw hell naw."

Yeah, I just said the iOS version is better than the PS1, come at me thread

Eh, I'll agree with you on that one. At least the iOS version is playable.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Mega64 posted:

Eh, I'll agree with you on that one. At least the iOS version is playable.

Yeah. Regardless of if you like the aesthetic or not, it's pretty playable. The autobattle and iCloud save uploads are really nice new features, too. Plus it has all the GBA content minus the crappy GBA OST.

I'll tell you this - I prefer the remakes of 1, 2, 5 and 6 over the DS\iOS versions of 3 and 4. I really wish they could have done up FF3 in the style of FF Origins.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Haha I forgot about the dumb phoned-in boss at the end of the calm lands in FFX. Some stock guados just breeze through and sic a palette swap robot on you. So unnecessary!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I looked at my Final Fantasy Type-0 case lying on my coffee table a couple of minutes ago. I don't know how many of you own the case or box or whatever, but the cover has Final Fantasy, separated by some Japanese symbol, followed by HD, and underneath the Japanese symbol it says Type-0. Well I glanced at it briefly and it looked like it just said Final Fantasy HD, and for a moment I imagined like, a box set of all the Final Fantasy games 1-6, remade in 3d and in at least PS3 graphics. I don't know whether it would be beautiful or horrible, because a good half of the fun of those games is in your imagination. Giving them actual animations for every attack or voices to every line or fleshing out the background images or world map might just make them all terrible.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Gologle posted:

I looked at my Final Fantasy Type-0 case lying on my coffee table a couple of minutes ago. I don't know how many of you own the case or box or whatever, but the cover has Final Fantasy, separated by some Japanese symbol, followed by HD, and underneath the Japanese symbol it says Type-0. Well I glanced at it briefly and it looked like it just said Final Fantasy HD, and for a moment I imagined like, a box set of all the Final Fantasy games 1-6, remade in 3d and in at least PS3 graphics. I don't know whether it would be beautiful or horrible, because a good half of the fun of those games is in your imagination. Giving them actual animations for every attack or voices to every line or fleshing out the background images or world map might just make them all terrible.

I didn't really like any FFs beyond 6 because I honestly just really like that old style of sprite work and how much of the characterization you just have to fill in for yourself. The 3 DS and 4 DS remakes feel like a step back to me and the PSP versions of 1, 2, and 4 all look waaaay too shiny and slick. There's something about the low-res, low-color look to the old games that makes me find their design more appealing. Plus I don't really want to hear anime dub artist #34 speak hamfisted lines on behalf of my Red Mage when he casts CUR2 or whatever the hell, hearing the cast of FF4 talk in cutscenes just felt blagh and actually made me retroactively like 4 less

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Schwartzcough posted:

Apparently some of them are really convincing. As in, the color of the cartridge plastic is juuuust a bit off. And the memory just uses a crappy battery that dies in a few weeks, so you can't keep a save. But you can't really tell unless you open up the cartridge casing with ones like that.

Its really easy to spot. On the back of the cart, fakes do the nintendo logo in block print that looks nothing like it should.

I can post an example tonight, an amazon seller sent me a bootlegged minish cap a while back.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

They should patch the sickness-inducing motion blur out of Type-0 instead of updating a demo.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

At what price will buying Type-0 not feel like a rip off because I will probably break down and get it eventually

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

At what price will buying Type-0 not feel like a rip off because I will probably break down and get it eventually

If you don't mind the motion blur then it's a pretty full-featured game. I didn't like it much but it's not like it's a half-finished demo or anything, just a poor port of a PSP game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motion blur aside it's actually a really good port of a PSP game, but it's still a loving PSP game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Help Im Alive posted:

It's like this: Do you like Persona 4? Do you agree that Yukiko is the best waifu because the others are too sporty, too detective-y, or too slutty? Do you enjoy recreational, slice of life activities outside of battling for the fate of the world with guns and other, less practical, equipment and literal magic? If your answer is yes, you'll probably like at least one aspect of Type-0. Can't speak for the battle system, Persona didn't have that poo poo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Help Im Alive posted:

It is, for real, not a very good game. Don't buy it, please.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gologle posted:

It's like this: Do you like Persona 4? Do you agree that Yukiko is the best waifu because the others are too sporty, too detective-y, or too slutty? Do you enjoy recreational, slice of life activities outside of battling for the fate of the world with guns and other, less practical, equipment and literal magic? If your answer is yes, you'll probably like at least one aspect of Type-0. Can't speak for the battle system, Persona didn't have that poo poo.

What the gently caress?

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Gologle posted:

...You know, I feel like there's a better analogy you could have used than that.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
You know what, both of you are right. The only other game I could think of was Crisis Core for some dumb reason, and that doesn't have slice of life really. Persona is way better than Type-0, but that doesn't mean Type-0 is a bad game. It's flawed, but even Persona is flawed. But Persona is leagues beyond any Final Fantasy game, so it's like comparing a mountain to a hill and pointing out that they both are jutting out of the earth, both have wildlife on them, and both are made of earth.

...if you liked Crisis Core's gameplay you'll probably like Type-0? Maybe that's why I was thinking of Crisis Core. Nobody in Type-0 is as likeable as Zack though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If they ever patch the motion blur, it'll be worth it at $30. If they never do, it may never be worth it no matter the price if it causes you motion sickness.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Type-0 doesn't have much story to speak of, and the only major character to receive much focus (Machina) is a loving tool, but the setting and lore are actually pretty rich and interesting compared to most FFs, and worth looking into IMO. It's kind of like if someone on the FF8 team had actually stopped to consider what a nightmare planet they were creating. Bit of a downer in all, but in a good way (if you're into that) with of course some lighter moments peppered through to keep it going.

NG+ is basically essential, not just to wrap up the plot but also to, uh, play most of the game?? All the missions past the first few are replaced with completely different missions, and there are more quests and story bits added in. So rather than replaying the game it's like you're playing another, longer game with a lot of the same cutscenes. Not sure what to make of this honestly.

The combat takes some getting used to for sure, it has a lot of quirks even before you consider your 14 characters all handle very differently. It's flexible though, and you get out what you're willing to put in, more or less. I settled into using mostly ranged weapons, with Queen in there for certain situations (she's a fencer, lots of dodging and parrying). I've seen people swear by Eight (monk/brawler guy, all about fists and stances) but I never used him at all.

Between each mission you're given some number of hours of downtime which you can spend exploring, doing side quests, watching cutscenes, etc. It feels a bit Persona-ish at first when you have tons of options and only a few time slots, but later missions give you so much time you can just do everything and it becomes a non-issue.

It looks a little rough, the motion blur can be a killer, but overall I enjoyed it more than the FF15 demo and I'm glad I played it.

Edit: sorry if this is a bit scatty, I'm very tired

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 19, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's worth mentioning that if you have a Vita Type-0 is a really good remote play game and the motion blur isn't nearly as noticeable on a vita screen since, well, it still pretty much looks and feels like a PSP game anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So this looks like an interesting hack for FF3. Big thing it does is boost the horrible magic system to make non-Summon magic actually useful and change the stats of a lot of jobs for the better. Might have to give it a try soon.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Mega64 posted:

So this looks like an interesting hack for FF3. Big thing it does is boost the horrible magic system to make non-Summon magic actually useful and change the stats of a lot of jobs for the better. Might have to give it a try soon.

Neat! I've always hoped someone would do an extensive rebalancing hack of ff3nes, I've always kind of liked it but I swore I'd never play it again due to the awful nuisance dungeons and the lack of any true party/class variety. Definitely going to give this a shot

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mega64 posted:

drat I've been hoping for a hack of this exact type for a while now, nice find.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

While that is really rad, what is it with every patch, remake, etc. of FF3 basically chopping the Sage's balls off?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kyrosiris posted:

While that is really rad, what is it with every patch, remake, etc. of FF3 basically chopping the Sage's balls off?

There's no real way to have the Sage as it existed in FF3 NES without having it be the correct choice for any magic-user once you get there. Character who handles random encounters with summons? Sage. Curaja spammer? Sage. Uses MP? Sage. It needs to be reigned in if we're trying to balance classes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

They want to have a reason to use magic classes that aren't Sage.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I like the idea of Type-0, where you should play it again after beating it because there's so many additional things you can do. However, I'm at Chapter 5 and I'm getting super bored with the game now, and have stopped finding things all that fun. I'm super close to getting a platinum in the game though, so I'm going to finish my first playthrough and then I probably won't touch it ever again. I might even sell it depending how I feel after I beat it. The voice acting sucks, the plot isn't all the great, and really I think it would have worked a lot better as a Vita title then a Ps4 title.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There's no real way to have the Sage as it existed in FF3 NES without having it be the correct choice for any magic-user once you get there. Character who handles random encounters with summons? Sage. Curaja spammer? Sage. Uses MP? Sage. It needs to be reigned in if we're trying to balance classes.

Yeah sage obsoletes all of the other magic classes. I've played through FF3 half a dozen times and my end game party always ended up as ninja ninja sage sage so I'm hoping this patch works out.

I love that they put end game equipment on all of the classes too- in vanilla the equipment pools for red mage, hunter, and a bunch of other classes just completely dry up for no reason so you pretty much can't use 90% of the classes after a certain point. If there's one thing that the ds version actually did well was making all of the classes relatively viable at end game, if not always optimal.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

There's no real way to have the Sage as it existed in FF3 NES without having it be the correct choice for any magic-user once you get there.

But... the entire point of it is that it is the correct choice. You get it and Ninja right before the final boss. They're transparently not meant to be balanced.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Are there any FF2 hacks out there?

...what? I like that game and wish someone would fix it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dragonatrix posted:

But... the entire point of it is that it is the correct choice. You get it and Ninja right before the final boss. They're transparently not meant to be balanced.

Right, that's why I've never understood the "but you just use two Sages and two Ninjas" complaints. Doesn't the NES translation even call the Sage the "ultimate spellcaster" or something?

Lots of the changes are great, though. I've just never been able to understand "let's completely gut this thing you don't get until the very end of the game".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there any FF2 hacks out there?

...what? I like that game and wish someone would fix it.

yeah i got a hack, it's called "kill everyone but maria"

the cool thing about it is that it works for every version of the game

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dragonatrix posted:

Then what's the point of a class system if, after a certain point in the game, it boils down to "correct choice" and "wrong choice"? Why bother with having Knight, Master, Dragoon, and Ranger? Why give us Summoner, Shaman, and Warlock right before they're rendered pointless? There's no real options and versatility, which are the entire reasons you have a class system. It's just cutting out a core mechanic out of the last 5% of gameplay for no good reason. And considering how classes work in FF3, it makes the remaining 95% of the game a trap because you might screw yourself out of HP growths.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
better question: why play ff3 it sucks

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

But you already have Warlock obsoleting Black Mage, etc. FF3 is built on jobs getting shiny new retrofits. Plus there's a pretty large bit of game between the Earth Crystal and the end of Eureka.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

corn in the bible posted:

better question: why play ff3 it sucks

We're discussing using the magic of modern technology to patch FF3 into something resembling a good game and the nature of class balance in such a situation.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

We're discussing using the magic of modern technology to patch FF3 into something resembling a good game and the nature of class balance in such a situation.

they did that, it was called ff5. and then they released a sequel called bravely default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Dragonatrix posted:

That's not a fun decision to make after the first time you beat the game and it's one of many ways the game shoe horns you into picking specific classes (mini dungeon, garuda, any dungeon with splitting monsters, etc), so the sage/ninja thing is just the last example of a very unfun facet of the core gameplay.

There's a reason FF1 and 5 both have a tradition of high replay value and variant runs whereas no one bothers with FF3- every variant run of FF3 would just feel like ff1 solo thief or ff5 solo berserker because the game absolutely demands you make the very best and very obvious choice to have any hope of survival for 90% of it.