Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ledgy posted:

That's the kicker: they basically played in the middle of nowhere, in a little French town (Niort). I'm pretty sure it's the only place they'll be together for quite some time.

God drat. Though, I can sorta understand playing in pretty much the boonies.

UIApplication posted:

Kind of want to play thru 1 a bit to see how many chapters in you need to go to get an equal number of kills to dead ahead (it's 90 guys)

I wanna say at least four-six chapters? Because each level after the first or so has numbers in the teens, I think.
Either way, god drat, Pardo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Theres definitely one (second chapter maybe - the one w the pool cue) that certainly has less than 10

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Skyscraper posted:

I don't think anyone's suggesting they should package Nightcall with their demo maps, though.
You have no idea. When Zdoom and it's various offshoots got the ability to play mp3 files the floodgates opened on idgames for a while with nothing but people uploading gigantic files that were literally 1% game, 99% music file, and of course the music files were never original creations but things like Pantera and Metallica and Slayer. Since mods for Doom could now be gigantic without the need for mp3 music anyway, it was leading to the idgames ftp getting just slammed with these gigantic files and no one was really noticing. I think finally someone made it a rule you couldn't upload copywritten music and occasionally one would slip through only to be mocked.

So what I'm saying is if you gave people the option to put in their own music? They would create a level where Jacket walks in a room shaped like a penis where the head has eight walls in the shape of a swastika and one dog as the only enemy, set to the amazing Turbo Killer by Carpenter Brut.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

widespread posted:

I wanna say at least four-six chapters? Because each level after the first or so has numbers in the teens, I think.
Either way, god drat, Pardo.

It's probably less if you just pick the big levels (like Assault, Hot And Heavy, or Vengeance) but it took me from The Metro to Full House, so 6 levels is in fact correct.

Pardo may have flaws being a classic cool anti-hero but one of them is not being bad at his job, although perhaps being too handsome is.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Skyscraper posted:

Giving players the option to use whatever soundtrack they like is not by itself a copyright violation. I don't think anyone's suggesting they should package Nightcall with their demo maps, though.

Discendo Vox posted:

That is what some people are talking about- and it is violative of DMCA.

Skunkrocker posted:

So what I'm saying is if you gave people the option to put in their own music? They would create a level where Jacket walks in a room shaped like a penis where the head has eight walls in the shape of a swastika and one dog as the only enemy, set to the amazing Turbo Killer by Carpenter Brut.

I made a really short post, was it really tl;dr? People aren't suggesting that Dennaton should include unlicensed copyrighted music with their map editor demo maps. That would be a copyright violation. They are suggesting they should include an MP3 player triggered by game events, which would not be a copyright violation. This is why Rockstar hasn't been sued for including a custom radio station option in GTA 5, because doing that is totally OK. I have no doubt that people would distribute map packs with unlicensed songs, which is a violation of copyright, but it's a violation by the people distributing those map packs, not by Dennaton themselves. It is not "violative of copyright" to distribute MP3 player software, even if it is integrated into a video game.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think the issue is the presumed service theyll be offering that allows you to grab levels from within the game program

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Related - like 2/3 of the songs in trilogy by carpenter brut would be perfect custom level tunes

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Skyscraper posted:

I made a really short post, was it really tl;dr? People aren't suggesting that Dennaton should include unlicensed copyrighted music with their map editor demo maps. That would be a copyright violation. They are suggesting they should include an MP3 player triggered by game events, which would not be a copyright violation. This is why Rockstar hasn't been sued for including a custom radio station option in GTA 5, because doing that is totally OK. I have no doubt that people would distribute map packs with unlicensed songs, which is a violation of copyright, but it's a violation by the people distributing those map packs, not by Dennaton themselves. It is not "violative of copyright" to distribute MP3 player software, even if it is integrated into a video game.

Dennaton's facilitation of a system for distributing such unlicensed song map packs would also be a violation of the DMCA unless they fall under the title 2 service provider safe harbor. The costs associated with complying with safe harbor requirements are such that Dennaton aren't willing to do so.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 18, 2015

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Discendo Vox posted:

Dennaton's facilitation of a system for distributing such unlicensed song map packs would also be a violation of the DMCA unless they fall under the title 2 service provider safe harbor. The costs associated with complying with safe harbor requirements are such that Dennaton aren't willing to do so.

I was going to say you're reading pretty far into Cactus here, but maybe I am. I assumed

Cactus posted:

-You will not be able to use your own music for the levels, this would be too problematic due to the likeliness of copyright infringements, sorry. The music from the first game will likely not be available either due to the fact that we only licensed the songs for one game.

That sounds strange. I have no idea how Steam handles copyright issues with mods/custom content, I just assumed it would be illegal and prohibited. I'm not sure who to consult on this, custom music would indeed be sweet.
meant that they weren't going to allow custom music to play, but if they're just saying they won't include it in Steam Workshop distribution, that's only fair. I'll be happy if I can dump custom .zip files into the game folder to avoid that. Certainly everyone with this game from gog.com or whatever is going to need something other than steam.

Of course, it wouldn't be Dennaton having to comply with service provider restrictions if Steam is the one hosting and distributing the files, as I would presume would be the case. I don't think Dennaton meant to set up their own network for this kind of thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Skyscraper posted:

Of course, it wouldn't be Dennaton having to comply with service provider restrictions if Steam is the one hosting and distributing the files, as I would presume would be the case. I don't think Dennaton meant to set up their own network for this kind of thing.

They can still be liable as parties to the agreement with steam to set up the workshop- a large part of the problem is the costs of maintenance and handling potential suits. Again, as a publisher they undoubtedly know this, they're just playing dumb because they like playing both sides of the IP argument.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

Okay but you're not getting the point. Even if they did that that still doesn't solve the problem. All you're going to end up with then is a million levels set to the default song (probably end up being Acid Spit) because people post on their levels either "I designed this stage with Stress by Justice in mind as the music." or "I designed songs to go with these levels which you can download here" which most people aren't going to do. It's easier and better if the game forces players to have to choose a song. GTA is a really poor example anyway. This is more like the WWE games. Most characters people create are going to be existing wrestlers from past and present and people like to include the themes of those wrestlers; well, the option is there to add the music yourself. The characters don't come with the music, you yourself have to download it and add it to the game outside of their control. You know what happens when people are too lazy to do that? I once ran a 30 man Royal Rumble of nothing but guys from TNA Impact and every single one came out to either no music at all or the default song "Wrath" and THAT SONG IS SO ANNOYING I HATE IT GAH and that is -exactly- what will happen here if they allow custom music in the game.

Maybe downloads outside of Workshop could have custom music files embedded in that would work and then it would be out of Dennaton and Steam's hands, since enough versions of the game exist outside of Steam to not have the ability to use the Workshop, but even then we're talking the distribution in some form or fashion of copyright infringing music that they would be somewhat responsible for allowing to happen in the first place; it's still the player's responsibility but they gave the option and even then it could lead to hacked levels being uploaded to Steam with said infringing music and lead to them MAYBE getting in trouble. It's easier and better for them to just not allow the option at all.

And yes, people ARE suggesting that Dennaton allow players to include unlicensed music in their levels. Maybe you're not, but they are. And if you don't think they are?

:frogout:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Skunkrocker posted:

Okay but you're not getting the point. Even if they did that that still doesn't solve the problem. All you're going to end up with then is a million levels set to the default song (probably end up being Acid Spit) because people post on their levels either "I designed this stage with Stress by Justice in mind as the music." or "I designed songs to go with these levels which you can download here" which most people aren't going to do. It's easier and better if the game forces players to have to choose a song. GTA is a really poor example anyway. This is more like the WWE games. Most characters people create are going to be existing wrestlers from past and present and people like to include the themes of those wrestlers; well, the option is there to add the music yourself. The characters don't come with the music, you yourself have to download it and add it to the game outside of their control. You know what happens when people are too lazy to do that? I once ran a 30 man Royal Rumble of nothing but guys from TNA Impact and every single one came out to either no music at all or the default song "Wrath" and THAT SONG IS SO ANNOYING I HATE IT GAH and that is -exactly- what will happen here if they allow custom music in the game.
I've never played a WWE game. I can't imagine downloading anything for that, but I probably would for this. I probably already own most of the music that people would want to embed in maps. Fine, though, here's a fantastic answer from the world of computer science: Make one track if people have it, but a back-up option from HLM2's library if they don't. This is not impossible, or difficult. It takes a minute longer than programming it to go to a default back-up track.

Skunkrocker posted:

Maybe downloads outside of Workshop... but even then we're talking the distribution in some form or fashion of copyright infringing music that they would be somewhat responsible for allowing to happen in the first place
ahahahaha what
:frogout: yourself

Discendo Vox posted:

They can still be liable as parties to the agreement with steam to set up the workshop- a large part of the problem is the costs of maintenance and handling potential suits. Again, as a publisher they undoubtedly know this, they're just playing dumb because they like playing both sides of the IP argument.
I'd be interested to see the agreement that would hold Dennaton liable for user-posted content on the workshop; STEAM might do that, but I haven't seen any evidence of that, and it's contrary to how IP law ordinarily works for DMCA compliance. STEAM certainly appears to follow regular DMCA compliance regulations; it has a built-in DMCA compliant notice of copyright infringement form. Have you seen some agreements that would suggest otherwise?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Skyscraper posted:

I'd be interested to see the agreement that would hold Dennaton liable for user-posted content on the workshop; STEAM might do that, but I haven't seen any evidence of that, and it's contrary to how IP law ordinarily works for DMCA compliance. STEAM certainly appears to follow regular DMCA compliance regulations; it has a built-in DMCA compliant notice of copyright infringement form. Have you seen some agreements that would suggest otherwise?

It's not at all contrary to DMCA standards- both the creator of the program and the facilitator of the avenue (Valve) could be liable if their apparent design and intent was to profit from the violative distribution of unlicensed copyrighted material. It's all a part of clamping down on the "we aren't distributing copyrighted material, we're just charging for access to a user-generated content system" piracy approach. To put it simply, Dennaton's hypothetical custom system would appear to be designed with violation in mind, and they profit from violation in that they're charging for use of the program and have been pretty explicit about it. Hell, "we'd love a custom music system" would be a sufficient showing for most judges, given that it immediately entails violative use-if such a system were then put into place. In large part, Dennaton are more liable because they've talked about it and signaled awareness of exactly how their product would be abused.

STEAM sort of follows the safe harbor standard- like most content systems, they mostly follow the letter, but still make the whole system easy to evade. A part of the prohibitive costs associated with running the safe harbor is needing to maintain counsel to deal with the constant risk of (often valid) legal compaints by copyright holders and content creators.

Something to keep in mind is that a lot of these systems exist because no one's sued them into oblivion yet- a lot of common practices are a thin layer of pseudojustification stretched over a roiling sea of IP law abuse. Just because it's commonplace doesn't mean it's not violating the law.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 19, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Skyscraper posted:

Allowing a custom music player inside your game is ludicrously difficult and basically means writing your own music player.

GTAV had some issues on release where it would crash if you tried to use Self Radio without having Windows Media Player installed, because that's literally what it uses.

Your demands are entirely unrealistic for a developer made of two people.

e: There's also the fact that the main reason you would make a level is to share it with others, and it doesn't make much sense to have a level play a song on your machine but then play a different one on everyone else's, not to mention that would ALSO be a nightmare to code. Seriously dude, if you are so dead-set on this, just alt-tab to Winamp or something. It's not like Hotline Miami does anything interesting with its licensed music (aside from it generally being good choices), it just plays it on a loop.

Which totally kills the buildup on songs like Le Perv. I never thought I'd be sick of Roller Mobster. Then hard mode Death Wish happened.

Skyscraper posted:

Make one track if people have it, but a back-up option from HLM2's library if they don't.

Sorry I missed this quote where you demonstrated you have no idea how ID3 tags let alone software development in general works, you are talking out of your rear end here, just stop dude.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 19, 2015

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Pirate Jet posted:

you have no idea how ID3 tags let alone software development in general works
hahahahaha oh god

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
From the devolver digital twitter:

Also what the gently caress is happening in this thread? Enough about music rights already, I thought we already had that argument. Let it go.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 19, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Also what the gently caress is happening in this thread? Enough about music rights already, I thought we already had that argument. Let it go.
I think it has less to do with the argument at this point and more that Skyscraper is doing the internet equivalent of "la la la I can't hear you."

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Skunkrocker posted:

I think it has less to do with the argument at this point and more that Skyscraper is doing the internet equivalent of "la la la I can't hear you."
Yes, that's it I'm sure.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[a bunch of idiot babies fighting about video game music]: actually youre the dumb one

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
My adolescent revenge fantasy level really isn't going to have anywhere near the same artistic integrity if I can't control whether my players experience it as intended: with some piece of garbage grindcore song underneath it to underscore how Totally loving Badass it is.

It really wouldn't even be that hard to implement a system to accommodate this because,

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
My only gripe with not being able to put your own music in game is never having a Beard level on the beach to the sound of Paradise Warfare.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Actually its about ethics in video game music.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

God drat the box art for the vita release is INSANE

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

That is Ninja Slayer as gently caress

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Not a Hotline Miami movie, but throw in some animal masks and it'd pass.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

quote:

UPDATE2: Thanks for all the feedback! I've added a couple of features on my to do list. You will now be able to add some environmental effects, like rain, darkness or sunshine to your levels, and I almost forgot the elevators. The limitation for no cutscenes in a level with enemies has been removed, as I figured out a couple of ways to go around it. I'm also going to look at the possibility for creating levels for specific masks/fans as that would indeed be cool to see.

From the Dennaton blog. I have a stupid amount of things planned for a Biker campaign, so I'm glad to see that they're finding ways around the limits they thought they had.

Jimby
Jan 20, 2015

striveforeXcellence
Hey, if anyone has Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number on the PS4 and would like some free PS4 Touchpad and/or Light Bar decals that have awesome logos and images from the game, PM me and just give me your gamertag (i don't need your real name), address, city state and zip code. I got these to giveaway in my Twitch streams and the popularity of the game has died down so I'm trying to get rid of them without having to throw them away.

I'll post pictures of them soon.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there any way someone with better ps skills than me could extract the sunset score tally screen background from hm1 as a device wallpaper? I feel like I look for it every 2 weeks and come up short

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So is the level editor ever coming out?

Also the whole musical rights thing is dumb. Don't let people upload music, but do give them to option to choose a song from their own collection. If they don't have a switch when you're making it that sets the song from the HM2 soundtrack that should play. Copyright has nothing to do with any of that.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheJoker138 posted:

Also the whole musical rights thing is dumb. Don't let people upload music, but do give them to option to choose a song from their own collection. If they don't have a switch when you're making it that sets the song from the HM2 soundtrack that should play. Copyright has nothing to do with any of that.

The result of this would be:

Game program looks for <filename>

Game doesn't find it because the track you're thinking of is named SYSTEM_OF_A_DOWN:ZELDA.scr.exe.wav.exe

Game program plays Pertubator

It's best to just allow metadata so people can buy the track from wherever

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

No.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

UIApplication posted:

The result of this would be:

Game program looks for <filename>

Game doesn't find it because the track you're thinking of is named SYSTEM_OF_A_DOWN:ZELDA.scr.exe.wav.exe

Game program plays Pertubator

It's best to just allow metadata so people can buy the track from wherever

No the result would be an option on level select where you click "custom track" and then a file browser opens and you select the mp3 you and and then it plays.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A built-in media player? Why? I mean, they're an alright thing to have, but if you're playing on PC, you can just use a separate media player.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Oh, we're talking about adding custom music to the game again? Okay!

:suicide:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Just got the title.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
How about that: Custom music isn't gonna happen, and if you want to change that, you're in the wrong place to talk about it. Go bother Cactus, or don't, because he made his choice already.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

quakster posted:

A built-in media player? Why? I mean, they're an alright thing to have, but if you're playing on PC, you can just use a separate media player.

Because having to alt-tab out to change songs every level is a pain in the rear end.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Get a player with keyboard shortcuts that work even if you've got another program in focus. Set up a playlist with songs in your preferred order, set player on repeat, hit next track after completing a level.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hotline miami: it really whips the llama's rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Studio posted:

Just got the title.

While I know you meant the first part, the second part turned out to be way more fitting than I had imagined. :v:

Ledgy posted:

How about that: Custom music isn't gonna happen, and if you want to change that, you're in the wrong place to talk about it. Go bother Cactus, or don't, because he made his choice already.

I could have sworn someone in this very thread had come up with a way to insert custom music in the game when I asked about it a few weeks ago.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 10, 2015

• Locked thread