Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
You can also play Revolution Under Siege as Southern Whites & Siberian Whites vs. Red AI. It's a turn based but simultaneous execution game, so if you play in LAN then you can both plan your turns at the same time, then send the orders file to the host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Basically looking into a groggy game to be enjoyed physically side by side so swapping saves is not ideal.

Dominions seems worth checking out.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Physically side-by-side in some kind of multi-PC setup or just on the same 'puter? Any Pacific war game and please have one of you play IJN and the other IJA. Post the results.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

Basically looking into a groggy game to be enjoyed physically side by side so swapping saves is not ideal.

Dominions seems worth checking out.

This ventures into the area of abandonware, but you could try Sid Meier's Gettysburg/Antietam. They are multi-playable against AI.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Decisive campaigns supports hot seat play.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So how many scenarios do the CM games usually come pre-packaged with?

Edit: oh yeah, and I know people say how most of the Red Thunder scenarios are large and can be overwhelming... are there also small ones? My general understanding is that CM:BI is smallish, BN medium, RT largest.

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 17, 2015

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Drone posted:

Edit: oh yeah, and I know people say how most of the Red Thunder scenarios are large and can be overwhelming... are there also small ones? My general understanding is that CM:BI is smallish, BN medium, RT largest.

Yes there are. There's some decent small ones pre packaged, though not many. There's very good custom ones too, I really enjoyed one which involved moving an ISU-152 through a small town blasting the poo poo out of Krauts in 3rd level floors while infantry rushed in. Felt great.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Drone posted:

The smallest mission is a German night-time platoon sweep of a Russian OP and is one of the best scenarios.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

What's the way to actually spot things in CM: FI?

Like, I started the first demo scenario. Edged part of my ranger platoon through this forest to the right and the rest with the tank up the road towards some tree cover.

Like half my force was cut down almost instantly (including my tank), including troops i thought would be hidden in forest. No contact markers. Another couple minutes of taking casualties before I get like, one enemy contact marker and I apparently can't fire back because I don't have LOS but they can shoot me fine? Meanwhile there's fire coming from another three positions but my troops are just eating bullets instead of spotting dudes.

Maybe it's the engine but I'm having a real hard time telling when something should be in LOS or not. Like, what am I doing wrong?

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

corn in the bible posted:

Is there any good Cold War politics stuff? Particularly the 50s or 60s. That's what I study and nobody does it justice.

Sorry for the late response but Supreme Ruler Cold War is pretty good. Definitely substance over style and it has a steep learning curve, but that seems like most grog games. You can play as either the USA or the USSR in campaign mode, or any country in sandbox mode. The politics options are pretty limited and gameplay is more oriented to war, but it's pretty good for a lesser done setting.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Alchenar posted:

Warsaw to Paris has stalled. I know someone was going on holiday or something but I just want to check that someone isn't blissfully sitting on the save having failed to pass it on. PS we should use the Matrix pbem system it's not broken.

Ya who has the save right now, you need to do that poo poo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Like, I started the first demo scenario. Edged part of my ranger platoon through this forest to the right and the rest with the tank up the road towards some tree cover.

Like half my force was cut down almost instantly (including my tank), including troops i thought would be hidden in forest. No contact markers. Another couple minutes of taking casualties before I get like, one enemy contact marker and I apparently can't fire back because I don't have LOS but they can shoot me fine? Meanwhile there's fire coming from another three positions but my troops are just eating bullets instead of spotting dudes.

Maybe it's the engine but I'm having a real hard time telling when something should be in LOS or not. Like, what am I doing wrong?

That's the Vellabruca mission, right? Its been giving me issues too. Last time I tried it, I split my squads up and dispersed them throughout the wood to the left of the road and laid down enough suppressive fire on the church that permanently pinned the Germans there. Unfortunately I can't seem to develop past that.

Watching Dark_Swordmaster's videos from the German thread of Abongination's CM:BN LP really helped me a lot to get in the right mindset and taught me how you should be checking LOS. And he's hilarious too.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Panama Red posted:

Sorry for the late response but Supreme Ruler Cold War is pretty good. Definitely substance over style and it has a steep learning curve, but that seems like most grog games. You can play as either the USA or the USSR in campaign mode, or any country in sandbox mode. The politics options are pretty limited and gameplay is more oriented to war, but it's pretty good for a lesser done setting.

Gotta disagree on this one. Bad series from a studio that tried their best, but had too much on their plate to finish.

Game gets slower and slower too as the AI builds more and more units, refusing to sell/decomission old ones. The USSR was using T-10M's and MiG21's in 1990 as their main force, and France just kept building WWII-era half track infantry. It was ridiculous.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Gotta disagree on this one. Bad series from a studio that tried their best, but had too much on their plate to finish.

Game gets slower and slower too as the AI builds more and more units, refusing to sell/decomission old ones. The USSR was using T-10M's and MiG21's in 1990 as their main force, and France just kept building WWII-era half track infantry. It was ridiculous.

Yeah, I really wanted to enjoy the Supreme Ruler games but the AI really lets them down. It almost never upgrades military units and researches new technologies painfully slowly, so you inevitably get so far ahead that the game feels pointless. Playing as the USSR I once launched an invasion of Western Europe in the early '70s, and my MiG-23s were facing Spitfires and P-51s.

The diplomacy is also poorly implemented. Your standing in the world is determined by your UN approval rating, which immediately and permanently drops to zero if you are ever engaged in an armed conflict anywhere for any reason. No nation will even consider trading or forming an alliance with a country with a poor approval rating, so your options are pretty limited once this happens. AI nations can freely invade whoever they feel like without any approval penalty, of course.

That said, there are sometimes amazing moments when you realise how great the game could've been. Last time I played, South Korea pushed the North Korean forces back to the Chinese border at the end of the Korean War... then kept going, conquering the whole of China and most of the eastern USSR. They then formed an alliance with South Vietnam and launched a massive invasion of North Vietnam in mid 1959. I was playing as Haiti so all I could do was sit back and watch the chaos unfold :stare:

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Drone posted:

So I downloaded and installed the demos for CM:Black Sea, Red Thunder, Fortress Italy, and Battle for Normandy, and have been getting into them in a big way this weekend. It's finally starting to click for me. I think in the past I always tried to approach CM games like any other RTS (CoH, etc.), rushing forward too quickly and thinking my little pixelmen were not nearly as fragile as they really are. Playing through the starter scenarios, I figured out that in most cases, you have like sixty goddamn turns to win the battle, there's no reason to try to get everything done in the first fifteen minutes. Take it slow and steady, plan your poo poo out, have reasons for doing things, and you'll do fine (and have fun).

Now I'm just so torn on which of the games to actually buy first. Between the four demos there's already a pretty hefty amount of free content right there, so I have a bit of time to decide after I work through all of them.

Have Battlefront said what the next CM game will be? Or an expansion or something?

I believe the next up for an expansion is italy and the next game they are working on will cover western allies battle of the bulge through the end of the war. I think the latter is supposed to come out end of the year/quarter 1 2016 but who knows with battlefront.

Also if you are worried about mission size in in cmrt I wouldn't be. There are plenty of small scenarios and lots of 3rd party ones. I find the biggest to be normandy but since it is the oldest it has tons of the things so that might why.

The western armies have so much organic support weapons that they tend to seem bigger to me just comparing company to company.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The Supreme Ruler series is flawed, but fun. I wouldn't even say it's a grog game - not with the poor AI and shoddy mechanics, anyway. Its still enjoyable to build armies, min/max the economy and steamroll continents. The large unit database and stats make it somewhat enjoyable and I find myself hoping that perhaps someday it's going to be open-sourced and merged into C:MANO :mil101:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mokotow posted:

The Supreme Ruler series is flawed, but fun. I wouldn't even say it's a grog game - not with the poor AI and shoddy mechanics, anyway. Its still enjoyable to build armies, min/max the economy and steamroll continents. The large unit database and stats make it somewhat enjoyable and I find myself hoping that perhaps someday it's going to be open-sourced and merged into C:MANO :mil101:

I love the premise of this game, but I'm a terrible grognard player and clunky/obscure games scare me, there's some other similar game but more accesible?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

I love the premise of this game, but I'm a terrible grognard player and clunky/obscure games scare me, there's some other similar game but more accesible?

Just wait for Hearts of Iron 4. Not long now.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Just wait for Hearts of Iron 4. Not long now.

Will HoI4 cover part of the cold war or is it just WWII?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Geoff posted:

It'll probably have the early beginnings of the Cold War (Immediate Post-WW2) and moddable dates to let you play well past the default timeframe but I don't think any Dev Diary has specifically mentioned an extensive Cold War scenario.

Mods are a possibility, since it should be easier this time around. Expansions? Who knows.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 22, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Are there any decent Vietnam games that aren't tactical level?

Fire in the Lake is really good.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

dtkozl posted:

I believe the next up for an expansion is italy and the next game they are working on will cover western allies battle of the bulge through the end of the war. I think the latter is supposed to come out end of the year/quarter 1 2016 but who knows with battlefront.

Also if you are worried about mission size in in cmrt I wouldn't be. There are plenty of small scenarios and lots of 3rd party ones. I find the biggest to be normandy but since it is the oldest it has tons of the things so that might why.

The western armies have so much organic support weapons that they tend to seem bigger to me just comparing company to company.

So what title is the most likely to be the next goon vs. goon LP? :v:

Its a hard decision to make, since each of the games has interesting things going for it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there a good reccommendation for a game that's 2v2 (or 1v1v1v1) and relatively easy to get into?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Are there any decent Vietnam games that aren't tactical level?

Vietnam 65 is really good and only :10bux:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Big discounts on Graviteam Tactics and DLC right now:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275290/

I know opinions are mixed but I'm intrigued by the non-WW2 addons because they cover interesting conflicts. Are they any good? Do they address any of the weaknesses of the base game? (I remember people complaining the maps were too big for the number of units, and there were too many night missions?)

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

fuf posted:

Big discounts on Graviteam Tactics and DLC right now:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275290/

I know opinions are mixed but I'm intrigued by the non-WW2 addons because they cover interesting conflicts. Are they any good? Do they address any of the weaknesses of the base game? (I remember people complaining the maps were too big for the number of units, and there were too many night missions?)

I bought pretty much every module when the sale started, so far I haven't tried the weird USSR-China border skirmish yet but I'm enjoying the Afghanistan and Angola modules. I've tried a WW2 campaign and enjoyed that too, although it didn't go very well for my troops.

I actually enjoy the large maps and the tough tactical decisions they can sometimes force you to make, but either way it definitely isn't as much of an issue in the Afghanistan module - the map is mostly flat desert so your units can see for miles. Night battles can be pretty annoying, especially if you don't have access to artillery with flare rounds. There is apparently a way to disable them and have 24 hours of daylight, but I haven't delved deeply enough into the cryptic options menu to figure out how.

Ultimately the cold war modules are the same slightly janky game with a few new units. If you find the settings interesting though (I definitely do) I'd say they're absolutely worth a try, especially at the current price.

The Geoff fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 19, 2015

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a good reccommendation for a game that's 2v2 (or 1v1v1v1) and relatively easy to get into?

We're playing a 5 goon + 2 AI game of Advanced Tactics Gold currently. It's been fun, and you get the basic gist really quick. Knowing what makes a good strategy takes longer to figure out, as everything is up to you.

Yes I know it's my turn.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

To be fair FITL is on VASSAL and has solo rules :v:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Drone posted:

So what title is the most likely to be the next goon vs. goon LP? :v:

Its a hard decision to make, since each of the games has interesting things going for it.

The CM:BN LP is going to be a campaign at some point. Owning the game is extremely helpful but not required so you're still free to buy whichever version you want.

The main question is do you want WW2 or modern day. They play VASTLY different (duh) as you're already aware. It's both preference and the fact that you'll own them all eventually.

If I HAD to pick one it would be CM:BN with the expansions (or even without) but FI seems to be the one people recommend the most.

It's super impossible to compare and contrast WW2 vs. modern era for you, that's 100% your decision.

Just remember whatever your choice you're going to be frustrated with the years-old shortcomings of Combat Mission. It works about 80%, which is WAY more than a lot of grog games, but that's still 20% poop.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The CM:BN LP is going to be a campaign at some point. Owning the game is extremely helpful but not required so you're still free to buy whichever version you want.

The main question is do you want WW2 or modern day. They play VASTLY different (duh) as you're already aware. It's both preference and the fact that you'll own them all eventually.

If I HAD to pick one it would be CM:BN with the expansions (or even without) but FI seems to be the one people recommend the most.

It's super impossible to compare and contrast WW2 vs. modern era for you, that's 100% your decision.

Just remember whatever your choice you're going to be frustrated with the years-old shortcomings of Combat Mission. It works about 80%, which is WAY more than a lot of grog games, but that's still 20% poop.

I ended up starting out with CM:FI because of stuff I read about how a lot of people dislike BN as a newbie title since bocage fighting can be kindof a drag sometimes if you're not used to the game. It's pretty inevitable that I'll get BN though if I end up really digging CM (which I feel like I will), so maybe I'll pick that up whenever the LP kicks up again. They were all tempting and it was a hard choice but I'm sticking by it so far. I think knowing that BI is getting a new module in the near future made that decision a little easier too.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Don't know this mission but consider throwing lots of lead African warlord style in the general direction of the enemy. After you first take fire, of course.

Area suppression fire is a necessity. At the least, it might suppress them enough to move scouts or fireteams into a better position to spot.

Also try to make initial contact using the smallest amount of people possible, like a scout team, but engage the enemy with overwhelming force.

I tend to spend a lot of time 'shaping' the battlefield with recon probes, targeted standoff weapons, while massing and positioning my forces behind cover. So when I want to launch the attack with my main force, they come out guns blazing and I know where a lot of the enemy is. The bulk of the game from that point is having the main force blast away.

When you set movement paths, click on the bubble icon where you want to send your dudes, then select target and use that to determine LOS from that location.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

The Geoff posted:

End date is officially 1948, but it's pretty likely it's be a soft end with a "keep playing" button. Not going to have any CW scenario or special mechanics for it though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HOI is a game begging for an Advanced Tactics Gold style mode.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Alchenar posted:

HOI is a game begging for an Advanced Tactics Gold style mode.

I really hope they throw in something similar to the EU4 Nation Designer. That'd be amazing.

Also Alchenar, sorry about slow turns - I've been dragooned into dogsitting duty.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Fully agree. Doesn't mean we'll get to do them, but I'd be on board for that.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Dandywalken posted:

I consider it one of those "the highs are very high but the lows are very frequent" games in that it leaves a lot to be desired, but in terms of tackling the time period, the amount of detail the game goes into, and the fact that there isn't a rush to "push the button" and end it all strikes the right chords of me. It isn't the perfect Cold War geopolitical simulator, but I would argue that it's the best one presently out there.

I'll also repeat what another post said and that it's almost more fun to play in sandbox mode as a developing country (especially a non-aligned one) and watching the drama unfold in interesting and unexpected ways. If that sort of simulation appeals to know, it's a decent game. It's kind of HoI3 in that respect. If you want something more hands-on and responsive, you'll want something else.

It's also on sale on the Mac Game Store for $3.99 right now, 80% off

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i got burned on supreme leader 2010 or whatever, battlegoat is one of those studios with no followthrough and no post-release patch support