Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Suspicious Dish posted:

so instead of actually making a game, you're making a lovely voxel engine and asking the community to make a fun game with it

No. We're still making a game, but we're also giving you - the planet owner - the opportunity to make your own game with our tools and hardware.

Think of it like this, a team builds an awesome mod for a game but you need to download assets and the changes break computability with basic game items.
Our plan is that you don't have to worry about asset management or compatibility issues with mods. No need to go somewhere like NexusMods and spend hours downloading mods and checking compatibility; we handle all that crap so its entirely transparent for the player.
Plus you take your inventory with you where ever you go on any world within the rings. You don't need to worry about loosing an awesome toy you discovered on another world. Take it with you and continue having fun - or causing havoc - with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
why are you convinced people will make content for your game in the first place

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
So here's my issue. I think it's identical to Trapezium Dave's.

I like PvP so I go to a PvP world. I feel like I'm outmatched there, so to get an edge I build my own world. On my own world, I give myself the magic rod of infinite nuclear bombs.

I then give it to myself for free - I made it after all - and tuck that sucker into my inventory. I then return to the PvP world and blow up everyone I see with my rod of infinite nuclear bombs.

Then everyone does that.

How could that possibly be fun? The only way around it is to massively restrict what items people can bring where, but one of your main selling points is that you can bring items you find one place and take it to another.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Suspicious Dish posted:

Probably because minecraft.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

People enjoy making stuff no matter how small, take Wildstar's house building simulator. Using a couple of a prefabs players have built amazing structures in their plot, house plot customization was arguably the best part of the game imo.
Give players the tools and they will begin dabbling with custom content from simple entities to total conversions with gameplay you've never seen before.

BethSoft games are a great example of potential modding due to ease of altering game code with an existing toolkit.

Afgad posted:

So here's my issue. I think it's identical to Trapezium Dave's.

I like PvP so I go to a PvP world. I feel like I'm outmatched there, so to get an edge I build my own world. On my own world, I give myself the magic rod of infinite nuclear bombs.

I then give it to myself for free - I made it after all - and tuck that sucker into my inventory. I then return to the PvP world and blow up everyone I see with my rod of infinite nuclear bombs.

Then everyone does that.

How could that possibly be fun? The only way around it is to massively restrict what items people can bring where, but one of your main selling points is that you can bring items you find one place and take it to another.

We've talked about this problem internally at length many times. We're looking into restricting weapons to what our PVP world (Hyperion) would offer in a controlled manor. Those rules may not apply to someone else's PVP world where it could be a large free for all with weapons from all over the metaverse.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 19, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lemon King posted:

People enjoy making stuff no matter how small, take Wildstar's house building simulator. Using a couple of a prefabs players have built amazing structures in their plot, house plot customization was arguably the best part of the game imo.
Give players the tools and they will begin dabbling with custom content from simple entities to total conversions with gameplay you've never seen before.

BethSoft games are a great example of potential modding due to ease of altering game code with an existing toolkit.

No, that's not true. I could point you to the large number of games out there that are built on community-created content and have little to nothing for them. There has to be inherent fun before people want to start building more.

Minecraft did not have modding or even multiplayer before it got big. There was a rough structure to created content, that allowed users to farm, explore, and build a world while it feeling meaningful. I could build whatever I want, but I have to first make sure that I acquire the resources and build the structure. The excitement was from exploring a cave, or finding a really cool cliff and waterfall and going "I want to build on that thing". It was figuring out the mysteries of redstone or water physics. It's using my powers, starting with absolutely nothing, to build a sheep-pushing machine to help me farm more food and fight off skeletons.

Your game is not Minecraft or Skyrim. It's Garry's Mod. Nobody plays Garry's Mod. Or it's Spore. Do you remember the awful wreck that was Spore because it wasn't a game, it was a tech demo with a character creator added? Nobody plays Spore.

Mods for BethSoft's games are popular because there's a structure behind them, there's a complicated, rich world to explore, with a lot to do already. There's factions and sidequests and cool poo poo. You can play a BethSoft game without installing a single mod. OK, most people install some mods, but those are mostly the "fix the buggy UI or lovely graphics". They're not content mods.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lemon King posted:

We've talked about this problem internally at length many times. We're looking into restricting weapons to what our PVP world (Hyperion) would offer in a controlled manor. Those rules may not apply to someone else's PVP world where it could be a large free for all with weapons from all over the metaverse.

why are you asking for money when you haven't even figured out how the game will play yet

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

why are you asking for money when you haven't even figured out how the game will play yet

Because it's in development.

And they're developing the rules.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Our second planet Hyperion is next on our list, we are currently building out Oasis which is our first world.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Suspicious Dish posted:

Your game is not Minecraft or Skyrim. It's Garry's Mod. Nobody plays Garry's Mod. Or it's Spore. Do you remember the awful wreck that was Spore because it wasn't a game, it was a tech demo with a character creator added? Nobody plays Spore.

I actually agree with your post, but uh... what?

code:
391,536	856,792	 	Dota 2
119,212	537,569	 	Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
55,096	113,480	 	Grand Theft Auto V
42,877	60,368	 	The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
32,053	63,741	 	Team Fortress 2
26,484	39,754	 	Clicker Heroes
24,377	39,331	 	Sid Meier's Civilization V
19,913	37,984	 	The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
16,074	29,639	 	Warframe
15,567	67,266	 	Football Manager 2015
14,096	33,330	 	Garry's Mod
Anyone making something like this wishes to god that their game was Garry's Mod.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Garry's Mod came out out at a time when no other engine sandbox existed, and comprehensive scripting and APIs was a really big innovation. People used Garry's Mod to build all sorts of wacky games on top of it (jailbreak is quite possibly half of the Garry's Mod players out there, because it's a really good game on its own). There are AAA games that originally started their life as a set of Lua scripts on top of Garry's Mod.

It is now 2015, the Unreal Engine is free, and we have all dicked around with creation toolkits. If it wasn't for the existing momentum, game-modes, and community, Garry's Mod would not be a thing.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I really like the way the game looks. it's several times more interesting than any other minecraft clone I've seen, and the combat aspect, for once, DOESN'T look like rear end. I for one hope you guys can succeed, Voxelnauts looks like what i've been wanting out of this bullshit sandbox game craze.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lemon King posted:

Thanks for the permission Kewpah for allowing me to post the project here.

I'm part of a project at Retro Ronin called Voxelnauts - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1760210928/voxelnauts-vr-mmo
Its a pretty cool game with mod support at the core of gameplay and we encourage it.

We're running our Kickstarter for Voxelnauts to secure funding for the coming months where we will need to hire on more people to increase production.

Welp, that's got me at about 250 dollars in pledges for the coming 31 days. Why're all these cool kickstarters appearing at the same time? :(

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

evilmiera posted:

Welp, that's got me at about 250 dollars in pledges for the coming 31 days. Why're all these cool kickstarters appearing at the same time? :(

you have a problem

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Lemon King posted:

I'm part of a project at Retro Ronin called Voxelnauts - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1760210928/voxelnauts-vr-mmo
Its a pretty cool game with mod support at the core of gameplay and we encourage it.

We're running our Kickstarter for Voxelnauts to secure funding for the coming months where we will need to hire on more people to increase production.

Are you loving kidding me, this looks amazing! I love the minecraft vs final fantasy mood, in fact I love the final fantasy-ish aesthetic more. And I also like the fact that you'd have controlled worlds where people don't go dildo crazy, I think it's a great looking project, hope it funds! Best of luck, it looks like a lovely game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It basically sounds like the same idea that Yogventures had - a minecraft-ish engine with advanced world creation and engine scripting abilities to allow people to easily create their own adventure or other games with their own detailed settings and then share them.

That said, you've got a lot more going for you in terms of stuff to show now than they did.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The problem for me, basically, is that yes, there's room for improvement in the sandbox build-poo poo play-together genre and whoever is going to hit on the right combination of elements and actually pull it off is going to hit big. But I'm not willing to gamble money on Kickstarter on the attempts. Sorry.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

RottenK posted:

you have a problem

My problem is that I don't have enough money to kickstart more cool games. I can quit whenever I want! Get off my back, and get on backing.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

evilmiera posted:

My problem is that I don't have enough money to kickstart more cool games. I can quit whenever I want! Get off my back, and get on backing.

You actually do seem like you have a problem though

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
There are worse things to spend your disposable income on.

Better things too, granted, but it's not that worthy of comment.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Prop Wash posted:

It's a cool problem to have, though.

Oak Island has funded. It's made by Visionaire, goal seemed very low even for a point 'n click.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Lemon King posted:

Yeaaaaaah I'm just gonna point out the neon Bitcoin sign the Co-Founder has on his wall at 1:44 in the pitch video.
It does look pretty, at least.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It's got awful bullshit anime-ish designs so it'll probably clear its goal just to annoy me.
-a man with an anime avatar

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

In a forum where grown adults will spend hundreds of dollars on plastic figurines of videogame characters I'm not gonna judge a guy for giving away his cash to try and help people make some cool things. As long he's not making himself homeless or cancelling his family's christmas I don't see the harm.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Lurdiak posted:

It's got awful bullshit anime-ish designs so it'll probably clear its goal just to annoy me.

It's got Power Stone-ish designs. If that's anime then I'm a weeaboo because Power Stone owns.

e: oh weird there actually was a Power Stone anime. this looks really bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcdR4dU0DuU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Yodzilla posted:

It's got Power Stone-ish designs. If that's anime then I'm a weeaboo because Power Stone owns.

Power Stone-ish designs... with down's syndrome! Heyo!!!

Certain aspects of it look fun but visually it's a wreck and some parts of the video make it look janky as hell to play. I question the wisdom of taking Power Stone and adding MORE particles and superfluous poo poo flying around.
Also their models are pretty mediocre but they took the time and effort to add boob physics to the giantess .

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A lot of people in life have the problem where they care too much about what people spend they're own money on and what people get off to. It's human tradition at this point!

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Megazver posted:

The problem for me, basically, is that yes, there's room for improvement in the sandbox build-poo poo play-together genre and whoever is going to hit on the right combination of elements and actually pull it off is going to hit big. But I'm not willing to gamble money on Kickstarter on the attempts. Sorry.
Building together is not a requirement for your own world, you can remove the ability for players to pick up or place blocks. This would allow you to have a structured world, like say a GTA City.

ElegantFugue posted:

Yeaaaaaah I'm just gonna point out the neon Bitcoin sign the Co-Founder has on his wall at 1:44 in the pitch video.
It does look pretty, at least.
He sold off his Bitcoins to fund the part of the project. We're also using some Block Chain tech for asset tracking instead of currency.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Powerstone owned as a game because of the execution, though. The utter insanity of the fights and the shifting changing battlefields.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Lemon King posted:

Building together is not a requirement for your own world, you can remove the ability for players to pick up or place blocks. This would allow you to have a structured world, like say a GTA City.
He sold off his Bitcoins to fund the part of the project. We're also using some Block Chain tech for asset tracking instead of currency.

so you're making a game out of bitcoins

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Lemon King posted:

We're also using some Block Chain tech for asset tracking instead of currency.

Ahahahahahahaha no.

E: no, seriously, if there's one piece of advice you should take, it's to stay far, far away from any and all Bitcoin-related things.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 19, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lemon King posted:

We're also using some Block Chain tech for asset tracking instead of currency.

loving lmao

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Ahahahahahahaha no.

E: no, seriously, if there's one piece of advice you should take, it's to stay far, far away from any and all Bitcoin-related things.

Its all backend stuff. If an item is traded from Player A to Player B and NXT handles all logging by assigning it a transaction id.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 19, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

MikeJF posted:

Powerstone owned as a game because of the execution, though. The utter insanity of the fights and the shifting changing battlefields.

Yeah that's true. The style of the characters always stood out as memorable to me but not the characters themselves. In fact I just tried to remember any of their names at all and the only thing I could come up with was Pullum Purna who is just a Street Fighter character that looks exactly like Rouge.

Also for some reason I always associate Power Stone with Outtrigger. Maybe they were right next to each other in some arcade I used to frequent.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
you use a closed-source technology that uses a loving proof-of-stake scheme for your asset handling

how much of your kickstarter money is going towards buying nxt coins, and how are you going to scale that in the future

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i love that nxt, instead of using the term "mining", they used the term "forging", seemingly forgetting that that word already has a well-established meaning in the finance world

i guess it fits its dumb ponzi scheme quite well then

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

you use a closed-source technology that uses a loving proof-of-stake scheme for your asset handling

how much of your kickstarter money is going towards buying nxt coins, and how are you going to scale that in the future

What? We have our own branch of NXT, we're not using a public implementation for our game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
what's the point of using a blockchain if its not decentralized or publicly validatable you goober

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
something something about sperglord nerds and using entirely unnecessary tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

wow this guy's is using BITCOIN?!? lmao :allears: :allears: