Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sorry I'm not an expert in ancient fantasy fighting techniques. I am able to watch actors fighting onscreen and suspend disbelief so that a fight just looks like a fight to me. Someone will win, someone will lose, and (some are born to sing the blues) I mean screengrabbing GIFs to show that... fight choreography doesn't live up to your edged-weapon standards is the lowest form of criticism I can think of.

My point was about the myopia of a group of people watching a show and seeing characters develop over several seasons and then shouting, "THEY'VE DONE NOTHING!"

A fake fight is pretty much always going to look like a fake fight and if that's your standard for a show like GoT, which is about political intrigue and political maneuvering and characters then I think you are completely missing the point. You already know the many filming units they have to coordinate and the challenges presented by this; but you really want me to pay attention to a .5 second clip of some dumb fight scene because... WHY?

Do you really think the authenticity of the fight scene is an issue to me? Really? It's there, for a split second, to show you the Sand Snakes don't capture Myrcella and Jamie fails to rescue her, and incidentally Bronn gets cut. You have to analyze every frame of the fight? It's incidental. It's autistic in the extreme.
Only the outcome matters. Sorry I'm not some medieval grognard yelling "THAT'S NOT AN APPROPRIATE FIGHT SEQUENCE!"

Hand-wave it? Might as well complain about the A-Team for all those gun-battles but no one in the main cast gets shot. Except, in GoT, even worse things happen to the main characters. That was what I was talking about.

This makes me very happy, thanks!

The fact that you can't understand that those gifs do a good job of encapsulating the pile of complaints (by no means limited to the lovely fight choreography!) people have with the Dorne sub plot and the Sand Snakes in particular is really quite illuminating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cinematic form and style are actually a big part of the moving image as a medium and if that doesn't matter to you then you might as well read the books. Well, unless you're actually illiterate in two forms of media

Edit: Like, it has very little to do with some perceived notion of authenticity but more the fact that it's a sequence that's blocked and shot in a very boring way and does nothing but communicate those plot beats you mentioned, plus these new characters that are supposed to be masterful fighters actually look uncool and dumb doing the one thing they're in the story for

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 19, 2015

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Edit: gently caress it, it isn't worth getting into a pissing match over.

Obligatory Handle fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 19, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

hiddenmovement posted:

The fact that you can't understand that those gifs do a good job of encapsulating the pile of complaints (by no means limited to the lovely fight choreography!) people have with the Dorne sub plot and the Sand Snakes in particular is really quite illuminating.
In-universe it makes sense for Jamie to take this risk. His sister/lover is chastising him and he's trying to undo something he thought Tyrion did out of spite.
Was it disingenuous? Of course it was. But Jamie hasn't adjusted (in the show) to his disability. The fact that you can't see his mistake is, to use your own word, "illuminating."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Cinematic form and style are actually a big part of the moving image as a medium and if that doesn't matter to you then you might as well read the books. Well, unless you're actually illiterate in two forms of media

Edit: Like, it has very little to do with some perceived notion of authenticity but more the fact that it's a sequence that's blocked and shot in a very boring way and does nothing but communicate those plot beats you mentioned, plus these new characters that are supposed to be master of assassins actually look uncool and dumb doing the one thing they're in the story for
That's fine. It's not like I'm watching Robert Wise or Orson Welles. It's an HBO show based on GRRM. Is it blocked and shot in a boring way? Sure it is, whatever. For like two minutes of screen time I have to suffer from poorly blocked and shot scenes but I'm not going to obsess on this because it's just an HBO show and not a feature film with a huge budget. I'm not getting hung on on this stupid, childish bullshit. The scene only had to convey a conflict and a resolution; and it did it in all of a few minutes so I for one will not dissect it. You may, as you will, but again none of this was my intended defense of the episode.

Case: closed.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lmao

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Double daggers loving slams her butt into the ground when she tries to do the kick up. I bet that hurt.

Also, Bronn's teleporting is not a fault of the gifmaker. That's in the episode.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The problem with dagger girl is she didn't stop, stand there and clink her daggers together for several seconds. Not even once. This is while she'll never be a fooking legend.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Photoshop a Wawa into the background of that first gif and I'd swear I walked through that con parking lot

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Whenever Game of Thrones does something offensive to your sensibilities, one should think about this gif.

I don't get why people get so upset over a movie, tv, etc. The fact it's making you emotional is something to be celebrated.

Long story short: The internet has become allergic and extremely hypersensitive to being TRIIGGGERRRED by anything nasty. The fact the phrase "TRIGGER WARNING" has to be put on unpleasant topics (and not just this one) is starting to show up on articles is loving stupid. Unless you plan on showing real horrors happening to real people (and I'm not even speaking of just talking about it) people need to grow a Goddamn skin.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can't recall a show that I liked that went south and I stopped watching it. Hell, I made it through Heroes.

I was there. I saw the horrors. Many were lost before it was over. They were the lucky ones.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 19, 2015

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

Long story short: The internet has become allergic and extremely hypersensitive to being TRIIGGGERRRED by anything nasty. The fact the phrase "TRIGGER WARNING" has to be put on unpleasant topics (and not just this one) is starting to show up on articles is loving stupid. Unless you plan on showing real horrors happening to real people (and I'm not even speaking of just talking about it) people need to grow a Goddamn skin.

If Shireen gets fed into a literal wood chipper next episode, plenty of people will have an emotional response. That doesn't make it good writing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Heroes had more than one season???

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ultramiraculous posted:

Yeah, I'm actually starting to get suuuuper frustrated by people having this reaction and I'm gonna be pissed if this becomes ~a thing~. I really don't want to watch a week-long internet argument about whether being raped constitutes a terminal loss of agency, because holy poo poo.

The only rape I think that really deserved the kind of scorn (probably more than it got really) was the one HBO accidentally filmed with Cersei.

This was in keeping with.. pretty much everything, ugly as it was. And it was ugly.

Baldbeard posted:

If Shireen gets fed into a literal wood chipper next episode, plenty of people will have an emotional response. That doesn't make it good writing.

That's fine and well, and if people were saying "This character decision was stupid" OK, that's a fine conversation to have. My point is this conversation shouldn't have be all kinds of TRIGGER WARNING!!!! messages all over the top of it.

I'm sorry, but bad poo poo happens, and people talk about it sometimes. I don't want to see a world where we have to NSFW tag equivalent every unpleasant subject because of hyper-sensitive overly emotional crybabies that have way too much of a voice lately. gently caress.

JT Jag posted:

Whoever did your mind wipe, they did an excellent job.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 19, 2015

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can't recall a show that I liked that went south and I stopped watching it. Hell, I made it through Heroes.
I'll see your Heroes and raise you Dexter. Gaze into the abyss...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Blazing Ownager posted:

Whoever did your mind wipe, they did an excellent job.
I mean how could you not like Heroes? It had a teleporting enthusiastic Japanese protagonist named Hiro, a cheerleader who could get mangled horribly and not die, a politician who could fly... hey, remember that crazy painter who could predict the future? Too bad he got killed by Sylar, man that villain was awesome, that actor was in the new Star Trek you know.

Too bad it ended on a cliffhanger, with the whole New York nuclear thing. It... did, right? I... when I think about what happened after that point, I get these strange, sudden migranes.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I just realized this reaction also sums up the tumblr community right now.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

I just realized something earlier today about him actually.

Qyburn was found at Harrenhal, left for dead after the Mountain withdrew.
He travels to Kings Landing with Jamie, ends up in service to the queen.
He's in Kings Landing when the Mountain is injured and gets to torment/create FrankenMountain.
He's actually getting revenge on the person who left him for dead in the first place.

That is so loving awesome. I never noticed it either but that just makes a character I've really started liking more than I probably should even more badass.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Dr. Faustus posted:

A fake fight is pretty much always going to look like a fake fight and if that's your standard for a show like GoT, which is about political intrigue and political maneuvering and characters then I think you are completely missing the point. You already know the many filming units they have to coordinate and the challenges presented by this; but you really want me to pay attention to a .5 second clip of some dumb fight scene because... WHY?

The fake fights up to this point have been pretty bang-on, because it's a mark of good production to make them look bang-on. It's not just about this half second clip, the whole fight scene sucked due partly to poor choreography and partly to really bad cinematography and editing.

quote:

Hand-wave it? Might as well complain about the A-Team for all those gun-battles but no one in the main cast gets shot. Except, in GoT, even worse things happen to the main characters. That was what I was talking about.

:goonsay: Actually, I've been watching the A-Team recently and in the first season, Murdock gets his eyes powder burned, and BA takes a large caliber bullet to the leg, so there! (Also, Andrew "Garak" Robinson gets blown out of a plane at 36,000 feet)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

My Q-Face posted:

:goonsay: Actually, I've been watching the A-Team recently and in the first season, Murdock gets his eyes powder burned, and BA takes a large caliber bullet to the leg, so there! (Also, Andrew "Garak" Robinson gets blown out of a plane at 36,000 feet)

Not to de-rail but I always thought an A-Team first person shooter where, when you actually aim to hit someone, bullets bounce around them until they drop their guns would be kind of hilarious.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

We need more Dr.Mengele in the show soon.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

JT Jag posted:

It didn't. Sleep well tonight.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
There were some super good fights in this series, and both of the ones that come to mind involved the Hound.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Operant posted:

There were some super good fights in this series, and both of the ones that come to mind involved the Hound.

You forgot Brienne vs Jaime too. That was a great moment.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Like, argue semantics all you want but that was some power ranger poo poo right there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I guess that fight scene did a good job making the sand vipers look like idiot children, which seems to be their actual background.

I did a substantially worse job having said idiot children cut to bits never to be mentioned again in future episodes.

That being said, I kinda like the king of Dorne and hope he'll redeem this plotline with his continued presence.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Operant posted:

Like, argue semantics all you want but that was some power ranger poo poo right there.

If Bronn dies over it, that'll be a tragedy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

steinrokkan posted:

That being said, I kinda like the king of Dorne and hope he'll redeem this plotline with his continued presence.

He has, so far, sat the gently caress out of that chair, and looked the living poo poo out of the water gardens.

I love Dr Bashir, and they've got an actor who can do some awesome things with the role, I hope he gets a chance to shine a little more in the future.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

He's got gout, he ain't doing poo poo but sit in that chair.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I guess that fight scene did a good job making the sand vipers look like idiot children, which seems to be their actual background.

I did a substantially worse job having said idiot children cut to bits never to be mentioned again in future episodes.

I'm kind of hoping that's the entire point. The show presents them initially as ultimate super assasins but then everything else we are shown undermines that, most notably the earlier scene where the king asks his captain of the guard if he's ready to use that axe. The king knows they're coming! How bad do you have to be as a band of super assasins that your target is prepped and ready? There are only 4 of you and you STILL can't keep it secret! Then they can only break even in a fight with 1 and a half knights before the guards swarm in and arrest them.

Maybe they're supposed to be terrible idiot children and everything will make sense in the next episode.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

hiddenmovement posted:

How bad do you have to be as a band of super assasins that your target is prepped and ready? There are only 4 of you and you STILL can't keep it secret!

Well their leader did go right to the Prince and pretty much tell him what she planned, so :lol:

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Does Sansa even know what her revenge plan is, or is she hoping to stumble upon it after a dozen or so rapes?

1. Become Bolton prisoner
2. Get raped
3. ???
4 Revenge is mine!

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
man, you guys really love talking about rape

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kanine posted:

Welcome to the internet, 2015 edition.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

What's eating gilbert gRape?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Sheep-Goats posted:

Nigga you dumb or what
I just have an enquiring mind.

Is the Hound in the boat with Gendry?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The Sand Snakes are actually being played pretty much as they were portrayed in the books. They're a bunch of teenagers that spend several chapters talking big, but then absolutely gently caress up the one thing they try to do in the 4th book. Just be happy (or sad) that the show has cut the last person in their little gang, a dude named "Darkstar" who claims he is "...of the night..." and looks and acts exactly like you are probably picturing as soon as I mentioned his name. He is an emo "dark" teenage with literal highlights in his hair and the funniest thing about him (and the rest of the Sand Snakes) is that GRRM actually thought he was writing him as being badass, but there is no reader on Earth who doesn't see it as a giant joke. The Sand Snakes, Dorne, and loving Darkstar are the literal embodiments of everything wrong with the 4th and 5th books, and the show is actually doing a much better job of handling it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

XMNN posted:

I just have an enquiring mind.

Is the Hound in the boat with Gendry?

Nah, he's at the Crossroads inn with Syrio.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You're gonna feel super embarrassed when Darkstar shows up and summons the megazord.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Blazing Ownager posted:

The only rape I think that really deserved the kind of scorn (probably more than it got really) was the one HBO accidentally filmed with Cersei.

This was in keeping with.. pretty much everything, ugly as it was. And it was ugly.

Exactly. That Cersei scene is lovely because there is no fallout and it meant nothing. That episode isn't terrible because this traumatic thing happened to Cersei, it's terrible because it doesn't even regard the repercussions of that, or even acknowledge her experience happened in-universe.

Sansa's scene was ugly, but it won't be erased from memory and it matters that it happened.

In light of that, I wish people wouldn't moralize what happened to a fictional character. Criticize the scene if you feel it didn't provide value to the show (which is a fully valid position; I don't think it did, either.) But asserting the writers are bad people and trying to punish them through online activism is ridiculous. This is fiction. Hate it because you think it sucks, not because you disagree personally with a decision it made.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Kanine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryvljjccqL8&t=58s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Xealot posted:

Exactly. That Cersei scene is lovely because there is no fallout and it meant nothing. That episode isn't terrible because this traumatic thing happened to Cersei, it's terrible because it doesn't even regard the repercussions of that, or even acknowledge her experience happened in-universe.

Don't we see the repercussions of that manifest in her growing insanity? Cersei has a major inferiority complex, and being raped by her former lover and brother (if that is indeed what happened) can only contribute to that.

• Locked thread