Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

mushroom_spore posted:

That said I'm assuming "super casual" means "don't care about raiding" (I don't either) cause that is apparently where the worst poo poo is. Although having just googled it there was apparently a patch some months ago so that now you only have to complete dungeons instead of speedrunning them or whatever to get raid attuned. I guess that's better? Like I said, I don't know anything about that part of the game.

The 5-man dungeons require you to discuss what the interrupt rotation is going to be since all five people need to interrupt.

It requires you to discuss this because otherwise you will wipe to the trash, which requires interrupts and has 'interrupt armor'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Saxophone posted:

It's more that Wildstar is the North Korea of MMOs. The poor saps that are still left are brainwashed and Carbine keeps going "Yeah, of course everything is great! WE love you, unlike those CASUAL games like WoW..." Meanwhile the entire rest of the world looks on and simultaneously feels pity and gets a laugh at just how completely absurd they're being.

Excellent horse-like lady with ruined teeth

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The 5-man dungeons require you to discuss what the interrupt rotation is going to be since all five people need to interrupt.

It requires you to discuss this because otherwise you will wipe to the trash, which requires interrupts and has 'interrupt armor'.

They could completely make the game into a gleaming spire of MMO purity and I think this one thing would keep me from coming back forever. It felt like such a tedious mechanic.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Givin posted:

They could completely make the game into a gleaming spire of MMO purity and I think this one thing would keep me from coming back forever. It felt like such a tedious mechanic.

Wildstar: this feels like a tedious mechanic

Minsky
May 23, 2001

bear is driving! posted:

I see the hate Wildstar gets from goons, so I need to ask: why, exactly, is the game so bad?

I'm a super casual player, just looking for an MMO to fill the time until Heavensward drops and I wanted to try the 10 day trial, but I would like to know why the hate? Is it just for stuff at endgame, or is the game somehow fundamentally flawed?

The leveling was not very fun, and that's about as much you'd be able to experience during your 10-day trial. If you ever played pre-Cataclysm WOW, the leveling feels about equivalent.

I think if you're looking for an MMO to waste a few weeks in until the FFXIV expansion comes out, a better option than Wildstar is to sub to SWTOR for a month for the 12X boost to do the class stories. That costs $15 though (or maybe more if you have to still pay the "box price" nowadays).

Or frankly just play Witcher 3 until then because that game is Pretty Good.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Did they ever change the quests to not require you to kill an absurd amount of mobs? I remember getting to the 2nd zone as whatever faction started in the snowy zone and getting quests to kill loving 30+ mobs regularly, it was like they'd hosed up and added a zero where they shouldn't have. Add to this that every single fight involved dodging telegraphs and dealing with the interupt armor mechanic, it became an ordeal just to level up.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Verranicus posted:

Did they ever change the quests to not require you to kill an absurd amount of mobs? I remember getting to the 2nd zone as whatever faction started in the snowy zone and getting quests to kill loving 30+ mobs regularly, it was like they'd hosed up and added a zero where they shouldn't have. Add to this that every single fight involved dodging telegraphs and dealing with the interupt armor mechanic, it became an ordeal just to level up.

My character is Dominion, but I don't think I've ever been asked to kill more than maybe half that and I've done a bunch of that side's second zone. (Science path missions routinely have a shitton of stuff to find/scan to complete an objective, but that's sort of a back burner thing you can just do as you go.) Also I've seen "interrupt armor" pop up during PvE questing either once or twice as of level 17 or whatever I am, but I didn't have time to figure out what it meant or how to deal with it because the critter died anyway.

Leveling has honestly been pretty chill so far. You do still have to dodge the red circles and poo poo, though.

EDIT: Well, done a bunch of either the second or third zone depending on how you count them. I assume that first open land map that was still kinda small is just another part of the tutorial.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 19, 2015

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

quote:

The subscription model isn't the problem... millions of players are willing to pay monthly for a game they like.

The game isn't the problem... look how much praise the game gets from being great and improved.

So what does that leave? I'm not going to say it.

Umm... What does that leave?

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I guess it leaves the players, and he's right since the developers have apparently found their audience and continue to cater to it at the expense of everyone else that might otherwise suffer the poor judgment to mistake something in Wildstar for fun. Remarkably self-aware for being a Wildstar official forums-thing, that one.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

mushroom_spore posted:

My friends that have played the game on and off have told me that various "make life less horrible" things I've noticed, like harvest nodes showing up on the map, are new.

Harvest nodes showing up on the map isn't new.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
Idk where but there was a post for drop 6 proposed that they change the level requirements gor the dungeons. That's great and all but you're losing a dungeon at level twenty and you just have access too one.

And if they do the 1-20 all content within that level range free trial thing as their F2P then lol they just took out content.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Minsky posted:

The leveling was not very fun, and that's about as much you'd be able to experience during your 10-day trial. If you ever played pre-Cataclysm WOW, the leveling feels about equivalent.

I think if you're looking for an MMO to waste a few weeks in until the FFXIV expansion comes out, a better option than Wildstar is to sub to SWTOR for a month for the 12X boost to do the class stories. That costs $15 though (or maybe more if you have to still pay the "box price" nowadays).

Or frankly just play Witcher 3 until then because that game is Pretty Good.

I think I'm gonna pick up W3 today for Xbone.

Can anyone recommend a fun, casual MMO to mess with until Heavensward? I see people mention TERA a lot, how's that?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

bear is driving! posted:

I see people mention TERA a lot, how's that?

It is not a flawless game by any means but out of all of the MMOs out there I would say that this one is pretty darn good in comparison. It also arguably has some of the best action combat of any MMO to date. Definitely worth a trying out and now is a good time too because a new class was just released which renewed a lot of interest in the game. The thread here on SA is pretty helpful at answering questions for new players.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Shadowlyger posted:

Umm... What does that leave?

He's saying the players are the problem. It's a pretty weird thing to conclude so I can see why you missed it but welp.

e: Tera is pretty fun if you can tolerate its own uh, idiosyncratic art design (in general I actually really like it but don't tell anyone :ssh:)

It's amazing how blatantly Neverwinter ripped off gameplay features from Tera.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

And yes it has "that race" but apparently almost nobody plays them thank god

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Flesh Forge posted:

And yes it has "that race" but apparently almost nobody plays them thank god

uh

i find that hard to believe

last time i checked TERA was chock full of people who have a deep appreciation for young children and like to debate about age of consent

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Basically if you find that seeing the Elin in TERA running around is too bothersome then don't play the game. As far as general map chat goes, why are you reading general map chat? I have a custom chat channel setup in that game titled "STFU" and it does wonders.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 19, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Chicks in tera sit sideways on mounts, first time I've seen something like that in a mmo game.

Also there's tons of pedo characters so if that offends your delicate goon sensibilities switch channel or w/e.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I haven't been playing much, but I've seen hardly any of them around when I have. Everyone's playing the new class, and that's racelocked to Elves/Cast.

Edit: Also, if you're looking around for F2P games to mess around with for a few weeks, there's Dungeon Fighter Online.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

RottenK posted:

uh

i find that hard to believe

last time i checked TERA was chock full of people who have a deep appreciation for young children and like to debate about age of consent

tbh yeah it comes up about once every 15 minutes in area/zone chat so there's that going for it

e: no comment on global chat because holy loving poo poo turn that off ASAP

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I can't remember the last time I logged into a new MMO character and didn't immediately turn off zone chat.

gently caress zone chat. gently caress all zone chats.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Zone chat in MMOs is usually bad but Tera's zone chat is intolerable

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
This reminds me I need to try gunner, if only because I kinda miss my spellslinger... Not enough that I'd ever pay carbine more money, but hey.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Anoia posted:

This reminds me I need to try gunner, if only because I kinda miss my spellslinger... Not enough that I'd ever pay carbine more money, but hey.

Gunner is P fun. It's way more fun than spellslinger was. Until the end of the month there's a double XP event, too, so you can skip a lot of the grind if you play now.

Also I found out that apparently "that race" was found to have slightly longer reaching animations or faster animations or something by the korean players, so the korean "that race" population is so high because of a combination of the spergs and the spergs that like little girls all playing them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tera's gunner is really hilarious, it's a well-done class in PVE and apparently (hearing people bitching in zone chat) really good at PVP as well, what a surprise when you have a highly mobile ranged DPS character that wears plate armor :v:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I played TERA and now FFXIV exclusively with a controller. I like being able to do this.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Can you play the Tera midget class and dress them up in overly elaborate plate armor that doesn't look fitting at all?? That was my favorite thing to watch Lalafells do in FFXIV. The littlest knights. :3:

The whole skimpy thing is pretty gross though.

edit: I unironically find this kind of thing adorable

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

KittyEmpress posted:

Can you play the Tera midget class and dress them up in overly elaborate plate armor that doesn't look fitting at all?? That was my favorite thing to watch Lalafells do in FFXIV. The littlest knights. :3:

The whole skimpy thing is pretty gross though.

edit: I unironically find this kind of thing adorable

Try doing this with the Popori instead.

Popori in Plate

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Xavier434 posted:

Try doing this with the Popori instead.

Popori in Plate

Why do one half of them look like actual adorable fat cat people and the other look like little girls with cat ears??? why....

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Popori and Lalafell are good races made better with plate armor.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Downloading Tera because of this thread and fat animals wearing plate. :buddy: My 10 day trial is about up anyway and if nothing else, Wildstar has taught me to be less afraid of trying action combat MMOs.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

mushroom_spore posted:

Downloading Tera because of this thread and fat animals wearing plate. :buddy: My 10 day trial is about up anyway and if nothing else, Wildstar has taught me to be less afraid of trying action combat MMOs.

TERA's combat is much more akin to a much faster and much more forgiving dark souls style of combat. You have to commit to your actions because of animation locking, and so memorizing monster patterns is very important if you're going to solo them.

Alternatively, roll a gunner and just stun them when it looks like they're going to do a big attack and blow them the gently caress up.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

TERA's combat is much more akin to a much faster and much more forgiving dark souls style of combat. You have to commit to your actions because of animation locking, and so memorizing monster patterns is very important if you're going to solo them.

Yeah, didn't mean to imply it sounds like the *same* style of combat cause the Tera thread OP sounds pretty different, just that I've never really tried anything else that wasn't nice safe tab-targeting.

Alternatively, roll a gunner and just stun them when it looks like they're going to do a big attack and blow them the gently caress up.

I may do this, and/or lancer. Both sound reasonably newbie friendly and also wear plate, which is very important.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

mushroom_spore posted:

I may do this, and/or lancer. Both sound reasonably newbie friendly and also wear plate, which is very important.

Don't be afraid to try different classes if the combat style does not suit you with one or another. they play very differently.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

mushroom_spore posted:

Yeah, didn't mean to imply it sounds like the *same* style of combat cause the Tera thread OP sounds pretty different, just that I've never really tried anything else that wasn't nice safe tab-targeting.

I wasn't trying to correct you or anything, I just wanted to make sure you wouldn't go in expecting wildstar's telegraph vomit experience as the combat. It's a bit more nuanced than that.

The best advice for new players is to click the box that says Ch. 1 in the top right just to the left of the minimap and go to a different channel. If you're not used to the idea of channels as they're used in asian games, it's basically a parallel instance of the world, and not being in channel 1 will save you from 99% of ganking and 100% of the congestion problems for chokepoints in the story quests.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I tried Tera waaaay back in the day with a friend and the game made the mistake of showing me a cool fight at the start and then tossing me into village town berg when all I wanted to do was go back out and start slicing things again

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I wasn't trying to correct you or anything, I just wanted to make sure you wouldn't go in expecting wildstar's telegraph vomit experience as the combat. It's a bit more nuanced than that.

It's cool. :)

The best advice for new players is to click the box that says Ch. 1 in the top right just to the left of the minimap and go to a different channel. If you're not used to the idea of channels as they're used in asian games, it's basically a parallel instance of the world, and not being in channel 1 will save you from 99% of ganking and 100% of the congestion problems for chokepoints in the story quests.

So basically like instances in EQ2, except we can pick/switch more easily? Works for me.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Why do one half of them look like actual adorable fat cat people and the other look like little girls with cat ears??? why....

It's a Korean MMO and both Popori and Elin are designed to appeal to women. You see that sort of thing in a lot of korean mmos.

I mean they're probably going to be mostly played by creepy middle aged pedophiles but that's the idea behind it anyways.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Tarranon posted:

I tried Tera waaaay back in the day with a friend and the game made the mistake of showing me a cool fight at the start and then tossing me into village town berg when all I wanted to do was go back out and start slicing things again

They shortened the boring island zone that you are talking about by quite a bit.

With said, someone needs to quote more Wildstar spergs or something so we can get back to what this thread does best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The most egregious thing about the Elin was that 80% of their outfits had skirts so short they didn't even cover their crotches. The company running the American version of the game did an hilariously half assed fix and made it so instead of pinku pantsu all of the Elin wore these weird fur diaper looking things they called "shorties".

• Locked thread