Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
That's quite the patch, way bigger than I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
While this is supremely cool, I think i'll stick to the American buildings, thanks.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Hadn't noticed the Gherkin in the top left :allears:

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
This is cool, I like direction they are going with this, means we will probably see new themes in the future!

Also looking forward to new vehicles! Asset editor: Added custom vehicle importing

Le0 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 19, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Holy poo poo.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
How do you turn on euro building styles? Or are they just random

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

TheQat posted:

I think it depends on which map you choose to start on. If you want european buildings, you have to start a new city.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

* Asset editor: Added the ability to set custom thumbnails and tooltip images for all types of assets (in the save panel)

gently caress. Yes.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

TheQat posted:

European buildings only grow on the new map theme added.

quote:

The European style buildings are a map theme, meaning you will need to play a map in the European biome in order to see them.

Fishbus, get working! :v:

quote:

Asset editor: Custom harbors and cargo harbors are now usable in-game
Asset editor: Custom airports now get visited by planes, like an actual airport

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Le0 posted:

European buildings only grow on the new map theme added.

I bet there will be a mod to enable all themes all the time on all maps, within the next 24 hours.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gently caress I designed my map just for the Europe buildings. :suicide:

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

canepazzo posted:

I bet there will be a mod to enable all themes all the time on all maps, within the next 24 hours.

Hmm maybe, however maps seem to have only one theme, you cannot have a map be tropical and temperate for example. I guess cunning modders will probably find a way

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Knowing that the patch was just days away I went ahead and "finished" my current city, for now. It was called "Islandville" and it had a whole hell of a lot more room to build on. I absolutely loved that map. It was at over 200k when I finished last night with 6 million in the bank & 50-60k profit. I also made it a point to only use 2 lane roads in free form patterns when I could.

http://imgur.com/a/bPfch

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Fish Fry Andy posted:

gently caress I designed my map just for the Europe buildings. :suicide:

Can you change the biome type in the editor? I've never touched map making so i have no idea how it works, but if you can i assume you just change it from boreal/temperate etc. to one of the new euro ones. And if you can't can you just import your height maps into a new map, or is there a lot more to it?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I don't have to pay for this?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

kemikalkadet posted:

Can you change the biome type in the editor? I've never touched map making so i have no idea how it works, but if you can i assume you just change it from boreal/temperate etc. to one of the new euro ones. And if you can't can you just import your height maps into a new map, or is there a lot more to it?

You can, but I also need to lay down all the highways/railways, plant all the trees, etc. And.. the water simulation. The worst part. Without the mod that speeds time up to 99x.

I guess now that I have tunnels that will be a fun experience.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Question: is this going to break half my mods?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Decrepus posted:

Nop!

Freudian posted:

Question: is this going to break half my mods?

Yep

quote:

Important note for users with modded games: Please use "--noWorkshop" and "--disableMods" as launch options when running 1.1.0 for the first time to ensure there are no conflicts. Several of your favorite mods will need to be updated before working properly with this version.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

This was my response too, so many places would consider this some kind of expansion and tack a charge on.

I love this game.

Except when I hate it.

Then I love it again.

This relationship is so unhealthy :saddowns:

EDIT: My response was basically "TUNNELS TUNNELS TUNNELS" and now the patch is downloading so slooooowly. :argh:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Tendai posted:

EDIT: My response was basically "TUNNELS TUNNELS TUNNELS" and now the patch is downloading so slooooowly. :argh:
literally named my first 1.1.0 city "tunnels"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They really need a proper modding API, until they have one mods'll break with updates all the time, since they're basically hacking them in.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Pile of Kittens posted:

Oh no, an entire two lattes.

that's 3 XL coffees and a donut at my local Dunkin' Donuts

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

My update is stuck at 230mb. I didn't even realize there was an update since I just wanted to check a texture update i did to my latest model.

All the new modding stuff sounds neeeeeeeat. The custom vehicles sounds great and the opened options to change. The thumbnails are good too. Can't wait to look through it all and see what can be done.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You can't use tunnels in the map editor. Pretty huge oversight right there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man, the way they described having a "new system for wall to wall buildings" it really sounded like it was going to be well, a new system. They talked about how they'd conform to angles and such. Instead it's just a bunch of Cities In Motion buildings tossed on the same lot system and uses a new map type. Why not at least make it a district policy?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Man, the way they described having a "new system for wall to wall buildings" it really sounded like it was going to be well, a new system. They talked about how they'd conform to angles and such. Instead it's just a bunch of Cities In Motion buildings tossed on the same lot system and uses a new map type. Why not at least make it a district policy?

Yeah, it looks like they don't work around curves and corners where the grid gets disrupted. That's disappointing, since that's my number one complaint with the game. Most of the other problems I have can be fixed or at least mitigated through mods but the lovely grid zoning system is a constant struggle.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Guess it's time to put another 130 hours in...

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Building themes need to be per-district.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Supraluminal posted:

Yeah, it looks like they don't work around curves and corners where the grid gets disrupted. That's disappointing, since that's my number one complaint with the game. Most of the other problems I have can be fixed or at least mitigated through mods but the lovely grid zoning system is a constant struggle.

quote:

New: Support for corner and adjacent buildings in the European theme

Sounds like that is exactly what is planned.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Sounds like that is exactly what is planned.

It would be nice if that means what I want it to - lots that actually conform nicely to curves and corners - but none of the screenshots show anything like that. "Corner and adjacent buildings" could just mean that it smartly selects a corner building or a mid-row building for a given lot based on its nearest neighbors, nothing to do with filling in space between lots or papering over chopped-up grid areas.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
That sort of thing would probably require procedural building generation which would be really pushing the limits of the engine, as far as I can gather.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Fish Fry Andy posted:

You can't use tunnels in the map editor. Pretty huge oversight right there.

:negative:

We need tunnels in the map editor, not just the game. This is the ONE THING I needed out of tunnels.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
can someone make a mod where police ignore crime / harass civilians based on the property values of the district the cims reside in thanks

all cims seem to be white someone fix that too I wanna simulate a real city

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

That sort of thing would probably require procedural building generation which would be really pushing the limits of the engine, as far as I can gather.

There are some compromises that wouldn't require anything close to full-on procedural building generation. I don't even care about wall-to-wall really, I mainly want the possibility of large buildings occupying areas where the existing grid system gets disrupted. Having the lot borders fill in smartly so there's not as much open ground in those areas would be nice too.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Modest Mao posted:

all cims seem to be white someone fix that too I wanna simulate a real city

just tell yourself youre simulating portland

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Give them a break, there is only one black guy in Tampere and he really does spend all day at the basketball court.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately I don't think we'll see the grid/gaps problem dealt with in this particular game. It seem to me like it's a fundamental trait of the engine they wrote and changing it now is probably out of the question.

There are tech demos out there of procedurally filling odd shaped lots but those projects never seem to get beyond that. I assume that means it's harder to build into a game than it might initially seem. Or that the people making those demos are really good at the procedural bit but clueless when it comes to making a city simulation.

C:S is in a good middle ground, it does get frustrating dealing with gaps on curved roads but max level buildings generally fill the space well so it doesn't look super bad unless you zoom in a lot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I can't get the game to work post patch but how do the euro buildings work? What are they exactly? A new zone? Totally replace certain buildings?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately I don't think we'll see the grid/gaps problem dealt with in this particular game. It seem to me like it's a fundamental trait of the engine they wrote and changing it now is probably out of the question.

This has been my assumption all along, but then they went and announced wall-to-wall buildings. :shrug: I think it was reasonable to expect that might actually mean more than "buildings designed with a wall-to-wall visual style."

But whatever, I can live with some disappointment. It's still a great game and I appreciate that they're going to keep improving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
The day I start using European buildings is the day King George wins.

(They looks pretty cool)