Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Pierced Bronson posted:

Over the past few days I've garnered a desire for an E46 M3. From what I've been hearing, the people who say "don't get an M" basically can't wrench for themselves. Is that it or are there other flaws besides the rear subframe mounting points?

Basically this.

The E46 M3 / E85-6 Z4M are not complex vehicles. Especially the Z4M since there is soooooooo much room under the hood. If you wrench, for chrissake get something with an S54 in it. It is a glorious engine and you will love yourself every time you drive it. You will need to do valve adjustments (easy) and replace VANOS bits (harder, but totally doable in the average garage) and replace the starter (dead easy on a Z4M; slightly more of a pain in the dick on an M3), but so long as you get a later year car with the bearings sorted they're very reliable. And they looooooooooooove being flogged. Love it. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Awesome, I was sort of hoping this thread would help talk me into an M3; I liked the 1 but I'd rather avoid all the electronic doodads where possible (too many of those in my S4). Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I'm going to go check out an E46 M3 and a Z4M roadster this weekend.

M3 coupes with a manual are loving impossible to find, by the way.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

sofullofhate posted:

And they looooooooooooove being flogged.

le' sigh

my m54 has served me well, and I really like the looks and handling of my 330ci but whenever I put my foot in it it's like :flaccid:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

the milk machine posted:

M3 coupes with a manual are loving impossible to find, by the way.
Don't be impatient and get a vert/smg combo or you'll hate yourself and your car. The reason they seem to be impossible to find is because most people with vert/smg cars are trying to sell them!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BUY A MANual coupe sorry caps. Ftw

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Don't be impatient and get a vert/smg combo or you'll hate yourself and your car. The reason they seem to be impossible to find is because most people with vert/smg cars are trying to sell them!

Yeah, within a couple hundred miles of me there are several vert manuals, but coupes are out there and I'm not in a hurry. I'd sooner buy a different car with a manual than anything with that SMG. I do have a feeling that Z4M is gonna be pretty tempting though.

Edit: I do wish so many sellers with SMGs wouldn't list them as manuals :argh:

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 15, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
At least the transmission in the SMG is the same and you can convert it over fairly chea... gently caress. :suicide:

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

the milk machine posted:

Edit: I do wish so many sellers with SMGs wouldn't list them as manuals :argh:

For real. And searching for keyword 6-Speed omits some of the legit ads where the seller didn't think to write "6-Speed".

Searching is half the fun tho. In my experience, given enough time, the things you're looking for seem to come looking for you.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Not that I care (I don't plan on owning one)... But can a person rebuild a SMG pump on their own if they have the right tools?

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
SMG pumps aren't even that expensive. At least drive an SMG before you decide you don't want one; I loved mine.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ormy posted:

SMG pumps aren't even that expensive. At least drive an SMG before you decide you don't want one; I loved mine.

Yes, that thing. 2400. Plus core (Id be shocked if there wasn't a core charge)

You can get a beater 540i for that. Or a beater E36. But not an E30, that's for the rich folk.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
You can get a rebuilt pump with guarantee for £750. You're buying an M3, don't be tight.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can swap the thing over to manual (it's the same transmission) for less.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ormy posted:

You can get a rebuilt pump with guarantee for £750. You're buying an M3, don't be tight.

I am pretty sure I stated I wouldn't be buying one. Plus you need to install it, bleed it, etc.

No thanks.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Ormy posted:

I've driven one... it's not that bad, but I know I'd go nuts driving in traffic around here (which can be pretty bad).

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

the milk machine posted:

I've driven one... it's not that bad, but I know I'd go nuts driving in traffic around here (which can be pretty bad).

I've heard this before but haven't really looked for much discussion on that point. I get that the SMG doesn't feel like an automatic; I drove an E92 M3 smg for a bit during winter and on a cold start it was a little grabby. Is an E46's older generation smg particularly aggressive on engagement?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Get an SMG. Because it's better.

Seriously. Just have someone adapt the loving thing. It's not designed to not have an adaptation for like 100k miles. I had the standard irrational hatred for flappy-paddles until my friend made me drive his SMG M3 for like 5 minutes. Then I bought a SMG M3. I've since done the CSL SMG programming, and the CSL DME parameters for SMG interaction, and it's loving amazing. Buy a SMG because you get SO MUCH MORE CAR and people throw them away for like $15k.

But don't get a loving convertible, obviously.

<3 M3

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pierced Bronson posted:

I've heard this before but haven't really looked for much discussion on that point. I get that the SMG doesn't feel like an automatic; I drove an E92 M3 smg for a bit during winter and on a cold start it was a little grabby. Is an E46's older generation smg particularly aggressive on engagement?

E9x has a dual-clutch transmission which is completely different internally. I believe it has wet clutches which allows it to be a lot smoother without wearing them out. E46's SMG is literally the manual transmission with a hydraulic control system strapped on.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

the poi posted:

Get an SMG. Because it's better.

wolrah posted:

E46's SMG is literally the manual transmission with a hydraulic control system strapped on.

lol. I thought the SMG was dual-clutch. You'd be a fool to buy the SMG.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The DCT is a bunch of wet clutches and one transmission build inside another transmission.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Manual is insanely cool and good.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

revmoo posted:

lol. I thought the SMG was dual-clutch. You'd be a fool to buy the SMG.

Here's the process for converting the SMG to a normal manual: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=444126

Not brain-dead simple but relatively close considering it's transmission work. If I was buying an E46M for pure project/toy purposes (so it wouldn't be a problem if it was down for a while) and could save a few grand by buying a SMG I'd consider it. Drive it until the pump craps out and/or I get tired of the low speed behavior and then rip the automatic bits off.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I have some E36 parts from my former 1999 M3. Mostly knick nacks and doo dads.

Battery tray w/ wheel lug wrench
12/13 BMW Wrench
oil filters
change holder (Black)
M illuminated shift knob (black)
and a couple others.

Not looking for a whole lot more than shipping; just too lazy to eBay them and it seems like a shame to toss them in the trash. PM me.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Here's the process for converting the SMG to a normal manual: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=444126

Not brain-dead simple but relatively close considering it's transmission work. If I was buying an E46M for pure project/toy purposes (so it wouldn't be a problem if it was down for a while) and could save a few grand by buying a SMG I'd consider it. Drive it until the pump craps out and/or I get tired of the low speed behavior and then rip the automatic bits off.

Yes do this. Buy an SMG car. Flash the CSL programming and run the adaptation, that will hold you over until the pump fails. Then you can convert it to a manual!

(You'll replace the pump)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

the poi posted:

(You'll replace the pump)

Because it always fails. :rimshot:

It's funny how it's cheaper to buy all the parts for a manual conversion than it is to buy a new SMG pump.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

HotCanadianChick posted:

Because it always fails. :rimshot:

It's funny how it's cheaper to buy all the parts for a manual conversion than it is to buy a new SMG pump.

Well ya because they're worth less.

Also, I'm not convinced they're unreliable--neither mine nor my friend's has had any faults. And a pump motor rebuild is 345$ from Euton.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

juche mane posted:

12/13 BMW Wrench
oil filters
change holder (Black)
and a couple others.

Not looking for a whole lot more than shipping; just too lazy to eBay them and it seems like a shame to toss them in the trash. PM me.

Actually this reminds me, I have a pile of parts that I never put on my '97 328i 5-speed: motor mounts, tranny mounts, belts, a cabin filter, that's all I can think of but if anybody is interested PM me. I'll let them each go for like half of the cost for them otherwise.

I'd like to say I'll own another E36 (I loved that car) but who knows where life will take me.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

My E34 525i makes a clicking noise of sorts at low speeds. I think the car needs a new exhaust but I'm wondering if this sounds normal for a M50 with a possible exhaust leak?

This is with the windows open but the hood is shut:

http://youtu.be/CJN2swUMee0

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Seconding the exhaust leak diagnosis. Probably a cracked manifold or a broken stud.

On an unrelated note, I fixed the door lock actuator on my E46. It was in fact a pain in the rear end, but far from the biggest pain in the rear end of anything I've done on the car so far. Also ordered new rotors and pads too; I just went with BavAuto's kit with Meyle rotors and Pagid Red pads, as it was the cheapest option after you take into account shipping and duty.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

juche mane posted:

12/13 BMW Wrench
oil filters
change holder (Black)
and a couple others.

I don't have PMs but I'm super interested. Whats a good email for you?

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.

MrChips posted:

Seconding the exhaust leak diagnosis. Probably a cracked manifold or a broken stud.

Thanks guys!

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

SuperDucky posted:

I don't have PMs but I'm super interested. Whats a good email for you?

fmmf31, at the g.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy
How is the E46 awd system? A friend suddenly needs a new car and would prefer an X for New England winters and there's a couple at the wholesale lot but I don't want to get him into something that's unreliable or not easy to fix. An Audi tuner shop I know of 'dissed' x-drive by saying the front diff is tiny and therefore when it leaks oil there's not much to leak out so it packs it in immediately. This seems valid.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Just a heads up, the Spring Brodeo is coming up in a couple weeks. Mostly an E30 meet but other BMW's usually show up as well.

R3V link - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=349134
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/events/912546888789473/

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My understanding is their simply not as good as a Audi/Subaru AWD system, both in performance and reliability. Not to mention it really ruins the BMW RWD dynamics that you buy a BMW for. I'd go for a WRX personally.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

revmoo posted:

My understanding is their simply not as good as a Audi/Subaru AWD system, both in performance and reliability. Not to mention it really ruins the BMW RWD dynamics that you buy a BMW for. I'd go for a WRX personally.

For inclement weather X-Drive isn't bad, but for outright performance I assume Audi is superior. In the newer cars X-Drive uses two open diffs and an electric center diff and in conjunction with traction control it can supposedly bias 100% of the torque to any one wheel almost instantly. The people I've met on test-drives who ask about the X-Drive have invariably asked because "awd is necessary for winter," not because they're racing the car. Still, I haven't heard much on its reliability.

I imagine Audi is functionally much the same but probably has helical diffs front and rear or something. Watching BMW's demonstration would lead you to believe Audi is inferior in the snow, but who knows if they fudged the results by turning dtc off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvqQuC_8VrM

Edit: Actually quattro does exactly the same thing, but the center diff is a mechanical clutch type differential. The video I just watched made no mention of trick front/rear differentials in a quattro but did mention it uses the ABS to manage torque vectoring on the front axle. X-Drive has a slight advantage in that it can bias 100% of the torque front or rear versus Quattro's 85% to the rear or 70% to the front, but has a slight disadvantage in the complexity of the electric center diff mechanism and having to be "activated," though again this is nearly instant.

Pierced Bronson fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 19, 2015

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pierced Bronson posted:

For inclement weather X-Drive isn't bad, but for outright performance I assume Audi is superior. In the newer cars X-Drive uses two open diffs and an electric center diff and in conjunction with traction control it can supposedly bias 100% of the torque to any one wheel almost instantly. The people I've met on test-drives who ask about the X-Drive have invariably asked because "awd is necessary for winter," not because they're racing the car. Still, I haven't heard much on its reliability.

I imagine Audi is functionally much the same but probably has helical diffs front and rear or something. Watching BMW's demonstration would lead you to believe Audi is inferior in the snow, but who knows if they fudged the results by turning dtc off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvqQuC_8VrM

Edit: Actually quattro does exactly the same thing, but the center diff is a mechanical clutch type differential. The video I just watched made no mention of trick front/rear differentials in a quattro but did mention it uses the ABS to manage torque vectoring on the front axle. X-Drive has a slight advantage in that it can bias 100% of the torque front or rear versus Quattro's 85% to the rear or 70% to the front, but has a slight disadvantage in the complexity of the electric center diff mechanism and having to be "activated," though again this is nearly instant.

Yeah, since Quattro is mechanical instead of electronic so it requires a few rotations of the spinning wheels to lock up the clutch packs. That why they only have the woman give it gas for a moment before she stops. Otherwise it would have locked up the clutch packs and the Audi would have gone up the ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at9MBPhpJAQ

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
E46 Xi is not quite the same as X-drive. It is a fixed torque split open center diff and power transfer is controlled by DSC. If you turn off DSC one tire with no traction will prevent you from moving. It "works" but it's pretty basic compared to both the e30 AWD and newer X-drive. The Xi is not worth the compromises (ride height, suspension changes and other weird unique parts) IMO. I've winter driven e36s and e46s for the past 5 years in atlantic canada, never had any real traction related issues. Ground clearance was more my problem but I'm pretty lowered.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Without naming any vendors, I'm getting really sick of ordering car parts, having half of them be out-of-stock when the website says in-stock and takes my money, and then doesn't inform me they're out of stock until after my package has already arrived. Having to do all my labor in a parking lot already makes everything move at snail's pace and it's exponentially frustrating when I have to go over the same labor multiple times because oh hey half my parts are another two weeks away. Can anyone toss out parts vendor suggestions that won't gently caress me around like this constantly? I've tried 3 different vendors for e30 parts so far and every single one has pulled this crap on me.