Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Viridiant posted:

I've got a theory with regards to the ending of Episode 3. It's been shown that Max keeps all items she has during time shifts, right? So, I think we're going to undo the timeline shift by using one of the photos from the original timeline. I doubt we're going to proceed the rest of the game with this new timeline.

You're probably right.

Wheelchair Chloe doesn't exactly make for an exciting companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
WHAT THE gently caress you can OVERWATER your plant by watering it two episodes in a row. My plant is DEAD NOW. This is bullshit :argh:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Macaluso posted:

WHAT THE gently caress you can OVERWATER your plant by watering it two episodes in a row. My plant is DEAD NOW. This is bullshit :argh:

Plant Life is Strange.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Max's mom tells you not to drown it!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Genetic Toaster posted:

Max's mom tells you not to drown it!

I missed or forgot her advice :negative:

Also trying to photograph the loving squirrel playing with the fireflies took me forever

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Who the hell is Lisa?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Paul Zuvella posted:

I will say again, maybe something will actually happen this episode.

btw, ha

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
oh god LISA IS THE PLANT :stonk:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Is it weird that I briefly considered replaying episode 2 so I can save the plant?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just started the episode.

Of course Warren's Facebook pic is Gray Fox.

EDIT: LISA NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Wiseblood posted:

Is it weird that I briefly considered replaying episode 2 so I can save the plant?

I'm actually doing this the moment I get home tonight so if considering it is weird, then I am hella crazypants.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just had a really weird bug when I was loving with Frank in the diner. Both the beans and the drink causes him to rage out and attack you.. After trying to rewind back to normal it kept acting like Max was repositioned somewhere else but the camera and stuff would lock on to where I was. It kept getting frozen in the black and white so I eventually had to restart from the last checkpoint. That was kind of annoying, cause I have to do all the stuff in this area all over again.

Edit: Christ the ending :psyboom: Also A lot of people seem to think that Max and Rachel are the same person, but I assumed the homeless woman was Rachel. Also I have no idea what they have planned for the rest of the story, but I do think it would've been cool if you could have chosen to not save Chloe's dad, and then people really would have two completely different playthroughs of the rest of the game. Also, Chloe you totally want Max. Just admit it sister! We can run off together and Warren can sit alone with his creepy bomb making word document.

Also I liked a couple details showing the origin of how some characters talk. Max completely gets the hella thing from Chloe, and a lot of what Max says is completely inspired by Chloe's dad.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 19, 2015

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Edit: Christ the ending :psyboom: Also A lot of people seem to think that Max and Rachel are the same person, but I assumed the homeless woman was Rachel. Also I have no idea what they have planned for the rest of the story, but I do think it would've been cool if you could have chosen to not save Chloe's dad, and then people really would have two completely different playthroughs of the rest of the game. Also, Chloe you totally want Max. Just admit it sister! We can run off together and Warren can sit alone with his creepy bomb making word document.

Why do you think the homeless person is Rachel?

Here is what we know about Rachel so far:

1. Looks like Max
  2. Disappeared a few months ago after meeting "someone special"
  3. Prior to that had been planning to leave Arcadia Bay with Chloe
  4. Was friends with pretty much everyone including the Vortex Club, skaters, outcasts, nerds, etc.
  5. Had a sexual relationship with Frank
  6. Was not adverse to substance use
  7. Arrived in Arcadia Bay shortly after Max left

Am I missing anything?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I guess it's more that it seems like the obvious answer so I'm hoping it's not. I can't really argue any of those points

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah its way too much of a red herring. Max and Rachel are still probably both tied with each other through both having time powers though.

One possibility I'm thinking of is that there is some sort of benevolent entity/force in the town that's trying to prevent the catastrophe for happening so it granted a person in the town time powers, Rachel was the original chosen. Rachel failed at this though because she just abused her powers for her own selfish gain and she desperately wanted to avoid her duty by trying to skip town. This all eventually led to bad things happening to her and Max becoming her successor.

I definitely think it would more interesting if the new timeline isn't inherently worse or better than the original so it leaves Max/the player to decide which reality they prefer. I don't think time travel stories have ever really had that dilemma, its either inherently worse or better with little inbetween.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 19, 2015

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This is pretty cool

http://www.lifeisstrange.com/talk/

Hotline numbers for people to call if they're struggling through some of the emotional issues Life is Strange has brought up

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

That was loving... well, strange. No idea what to make of the ending really it seems like most of what you've done doesn't mean anything now? unless you start hopping back and forth between timelines or something...

Agree with whoever said the episode felt kinda bland. Lot of jumping back and forth to use the time travel especially in the gym without much payoff.

RIP Lisa

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Well I saw the mom message after Lisa was dead Good thing I have a second playthrough waiting at the start of episode 2 anyway.

I don't buy Max is Rachael. There's a connection between them, but I still don't see how people wouldn't be all, "oh you're like identical twins!"

The homeless lady seems like she knows something is up - if you don't tell her about your vision of the future and ask if she needs anything, she'll say "a warning, when you decide to tell me" or something to that effect. Your other option doesn't so much tell her about your powers, but you do warn her about the vortex. It seems to imply that she either already knows what you're going to tell her or at least that you can change your mind (something that you do in game by rewinding time).

I kind of knew that Chloe was going to get hosed up if you saved her dad, but I am also in the camp that you will swap back to the other time line. In the teaser for ep. 4 Max was in her standard clothes instead of her preppy gear, which seems to be what she has in the paralyzed Chloe time line.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Karnegal posted:

I kind of knew that Chloe was going to get hosed up if you saved her dad, but I am also in the camp that you will swap back to the other time line. In the teaser for ep. 4 Max was in her standard clothes instead of her preppy gear, which seems to be what she has in the paralyzed Chloe time line.

I agree. Effectively tossing out all the decisions we've made up until this point because we're in a different timeline seems like a pretty big mistake in this sort of game. Also this is the story of Max and Chloe. Stripping a main character of nearly all of her agency by placing her in a wheelchair, especially when that main character has been the driving force behind the story so far, seems ill-advised. I think the shock of Max being in this alternate timeline will wear off pretty quickly. We've seen a lot of the effects of the change already: Max is in the Vortex Club and is preppy, Warren is dating Stella, Madsen is the bus driver, William is still alive, and Chloe is in a wheelchair.

I'm guessing Max will show Chloe the selfie she took of the two of them earlier that day and explain to her all about her powers. I don't know exactly what will happen next but the two of them will decide that Max needs to put things back the way they were. I could even see William being in on the conversation and being like "No I'd rather be dead and have Chloe free to enjoy life than to see my daughter stuck like this for the rest of her life." Maybe Max being able to go back and say "Chloe, you don't need to blame your dad. He did it for you." and show her pictures. This will have a major change on her outlook maybe and she won't blame her dad as she was at the end of the episode.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Rosalind posted:

I'm guessing Max will show Chloe the selfie she took of the two of them earlier that day and explain to her all about her powers. I don't know exactly what will happen next but the two of them will decide that Max needs to put things back the way they were. I could even see William being in on the conversation and being like "No I'd rather be dead and have Chloe free to enjoy life than to see my daughter stuck like this for the rest of her life." Maybe Max being able to go back and say "Chloe, you don't need to blame your dad. He did it for you." and show her pictures. This will have a major change on her outlook maybe and she won't blame her dad as she was at the end of the episode.[/spoiler]

Building on this (and shamelessly stolen from someone on Reddit), what if all the "kill me now" grafitti are messages left by William/Chloe/Max in the alternative timeline? You can draw a butterfly on the fireplace in the past - if that's still there in both timelines I can see one of those three leaving messages for themselves, especially if only Max can see them (seriously - if someone's leaving "kill me" graffiti at school you'd think the ridiculously efficient janitor would clean that poo poo up).

On a more general note, I can see Ep. 4 bouncing between the two timelines a lot, Max can investigate the Vortex Club/Rachel in the darkest timeline and help Kate and Chloe in the main timeline, but Ep. 5 there will be a big choice at the end - physically-crippled Chloe or emotionally-crippled Chloe.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Well, at the end of Ep 3 I was wondering If there was a divergence between saving William and not saving William, but it looks like it's obligatory?

I agree that we'll likely either go back to the original timeline or have a choice at the very end about which timeline we want to make permanent. It'll be interesting to see where we go though, in the new timeline - I'm imagining that we'll end up seeing Kate go through much the same thing in this timeline at the Vortex club, but will have a chance to save her / get the evidence to figure out what might have happened to her in the first timeline.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Well that sure was an ending :stare:, episode was pretty good, i hate that i'm a slave to wanting to fix my mistakes so i'm going to replay and Save Lisa. Can't wait till next episode to find out more about Maxine

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Couldn't care less about the plant, but if she's feeding that rabbit nothing but carrots it's going to starve to death.

Seems like almost everyone kissed Chloe and no one killed the dog :3: , so of course I'm going to go back and change both of those on my play-through.

This game is starting to remind me of Let the Right One In, both in tone and in how Max is so sympathetic and well intentioned that you want to overlook all of the evil stuff she does.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Macaluso posted:

I guess it's more that it seems like the obvious answer so I'm hoping it's not. I can't really argue any of those points
I'm with you there, It'd make a lot of sense. The fact that people so often conflate Rachel and Max seems like just a red herring.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I only just started but I thought you might like to know that according to the dry cleaner's receipt in her trash, Victoria got her paint-caked sweater taken care of by one Amelia Pond.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

good ep.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Rosalind posted:

I agree. Effectively tossing out all the decisions we've made up until this point because we're in a different timeline seems like a pretty big mistake in this sort of game. Also this is the story of Max and Chloe. Stripping a main character of nearly all of her agency by placing her in a wheelchair, especially when that main character has been the driving force behind the story so far, seems ill-advised
I disagree. Such a big disruption, done in a natural and understandably shortsighted way is just what this series needed. I think it's really breaking the mold of the telltale story progression arc. By seeming to reject outright previous player choices, it adds a sort of feeling of player helplessness, which in my estimation was somewhat immersive at least. I wouldn't sweat it though, there's no way in hell they just shredded the alpha timeline outright, there's too many stories in it to be told, and that homeless woman is totes Rachel, which is why she seems to be so believing of what you say to her. :colbert:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I feel like I missed lots of stuff in the diner scene in my efforts to get the key as quickly as possible without getting caught and/or murdered.

Also way to break time and kill all the whales, Max.

And yet the decision I regret the most was impulsively agreeing to go to the stupid Planet of the Apes thing with Warren. I'm tempted to replay the whole thing just to avoid that, but I want to live with my decisions the first time through and then just do a Perfect Run when I can play through the whole game from beginning to end.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That episode was very good. However, I have one big issue. Spoilers because it actively discusses the climax of episode 3.

This game if effectively is about the impact of choice and how drastic outcomes can vary. I understand there are limitations to this, as they only have so much money/cannot make every choice matter, but to completely remove the players choice in deciding whether or not to save William was an extremely disappointing. I understand that this is likely going to be a central issue going forward, but we only play these one episode at a time. It was so clearly going to have an extreme impact on everyone involved and it kind of sucked that I just had to do it no matter what.

David as the busdriver was pretty great, though

All in all, this game is way loving weirder than I thought it was going to be. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sardonik posted:

I disagree. Such a big disruption, done in a natural and understandably shortsighted way is just what this series needed. I think it's really breaking the mold of the telltale story progression arc. By seeming to reject outright previous player choices, it adds a sort of feeling of player helplessness, which in my estimation was somewhat immersive at least. I wouldn't sweat it though, there's no way in hell they just shredded the alpha timeline outright, there's too many stories in it to be told, and that homeless woman is totes Rachel, which is why she seems to be so believing of what you say to her. :colbert:

To answer an earlier post, my reasoning for thinking the homeless woman is Rachel is because when you talk to her in episode 2, Max asks her how long she's been living in Arcadia Bay, and she responds "a thousand years". I think at first glance you would take that as hyperbolic, but what if she's not totally lying when she says that? Rachel could have been traveling in time so much, she naturally aged herself (or she aged faster as a side effect of the time travel), and finally at some point she lost her ability to time travel (passed over to Max?) and now she's stuck where she is as an old homeless woman

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Macaluso posted:

To answer an earlier post, my reasoning for thinking the homeless woman is Rachel is because when you talk to her in episode 2, Max asks her how long she's been living in Arcadia Bay, and she responds "a thousand years". I think at first glance you would take that as hyperbolic, but what if she's not totally lying when she says that? Rachel could have been traveling in time so much, she naturally aged herself (or she aged faster as a side effect of the time travel), and finally at some point she lost her ability to time travel (passed over to Max?) and now she's stuck where she is as an old homeless woman

The problem i have with this theory is the homeless woman has brown eyes, while Rachel (and Max for some people thinking she's Max) have blue eyes

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

sometimes a homeless person is just a homeless person, guys

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

sometimes a homeless person is just a homeless person, guys

Don't be such a Prescott

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

That episode was very good. However, I have one big issue. Spoilers because it actively discusses the climax of episode 3.

This game if effectively is about the impact of choice and how drastic outcomes can vary. I understand there are limitations to this, as they only have so much money/cannot make every choice matter, but to completely remove the players choice in deciding whether or not to save William was an extremely disappointing. I understand that this is likely going to be a central issue going forward, but we only play these one episode at a time. It was so clearly going to have an extreme impact on everyone involved and it kind of sucked that I just had to do it no matter what.

David as the busdriver was pretty great, though

All in all, this game is way loving weirder than I thought it was going to be. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet.

Eh, I think the forcedness of that particular part is justified enough.

Max mentions that William was basically a family member to her, and given how much his death hosed Chloe up, it makes sense that letting him die again is a thing she absolutely won't let herself do. It would really make less sense for Max's character if she did let him die, at least before she was able to see all the ramifications of saving him.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Rosalind posted:

Yeah, but it's a pretty common LGB coming of age trope that stuff like "HA HA WOULDN'T IT BE SO GAY IF WE KISS DUDE? I DARE YOU TO KISS ME! OMG YOU DID YOU'RE SO GAY I AM TOTALLY NOT THOUGH DUDE. SUPER HETERO." happens. Chloe gets so upset about Rachel being in a relationship with Frank.

Max being all like "and maybe I could... kiss you again????" or whatever when they're joking about driving away in Frank's RV was hella adorbs.

Speaking of Life is Strange slang, I really like all of the self-consciously dumb things Max said when she was trying to act punk rock in the clothes she borrowed.

EDIT: of course after all of that there better actually be a pay-off or else it'd just be queerbaiting of the first order :argh:

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 20, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh my god what if the "optional" polaroids you can take allow you to warp to those specific moments in time :aaa:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Let's talk about that ending. (EDIT: dmboogie said this in a far more concise way but I'm gonna leave this wall o' text up anyways.)

To me, there's no choice to save William because OF COURSE Max is gonna want to save William. With all the choices we've been presented with so far, she could plausibly be of two minds on each. You can jump out, defend Chloe, and end up on the shitlist of a highly unstable head of security at your school, or you can stay in the closet like a little bitch and watch that person hurt your friend. You can tell Kate to go to the cops and she can feel validated, or you can tell her to stay quiet and keep her off the radar of a hilariously corrupt police force. You can clean out the Handicapped Fund and possibly make things easier between Chloe and Frank, or you can leave it and give the school one less reason to investigate a break-in.

Whether or not these choices have any real effect on the big picture doesn't matter, though at the moment it sure doesn't look good. (I personally have no problem with this and think player agency in story-driven gaming is a little overrated anyway. If you can tell me a good story, it doesn't matter that I couldn't control it, and this is a drat good story so far.) What matters is that these are situations that Max would legitimately be torn over, making it feasible to hand control of Max's brain over to the player.

When it comes to saving William, however, you have to remember the circumstances. Max JUST discovered a new power. She's suddenly 5 years in the past instead of five minutes, to the last time Chloe was happy, to the last time her Dad was alive, after hearing that her Mom blamed herself for his death and Chloe deeply resented him for leaving to pick her up.

In the SWELTERING heat of that moment, there's nothing to be torn over. There's no "two minds." There's no genre-savvyness, no stopping to think "Oh heavens me! What if I save Chloe's poor, beloved father, only for the resulting ripples in the space-time continuum to come back and punch me in the dick?" There's only the shot to make Chloe's life better, to save her the angst, to save her mom the guilt, and from what we know of any version of Max, be she the one who callously ignores Kate's cries for help or miraculously pulls her off the roof, you bet your motherfucking rear end she'd take that shot. So it makes sense for the narrative to take over and say "Okay, we need to tell the story for a little bit here. Go rescue William and see what happens."

Allowing the player to choose whether or not to save William would've given the game a greater sense of interactivity at the cost of emotional honesty. And part of what makes this game so great is that it goes for the emotional punch, even if it doesn't always land.

By the way, I did a quick Google for some information about one of the aspects of the game and the first result was "Let's talk about the shocking ending to Life is Strange Episode 3," accompanied by a picture of what LOOKED LIKE Chloe's dead body. Between that and an earlier post I saw, I was on edge because I thought the ending was going to involve finding Chloe with a hole in her head. Thank God, turns out it was in her throat. :v:

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 20, 2015

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
That loving ending. :stare: I thought this was a ton better than Episode 2. The light puzzles seemed less of a time sink (I will forever hate that junkyard), and I thought there was some really good development for the characters and the world. I felt absolutely terrible for Chloe after showing her the pictures of Rachel in the trailer. Yes, she was being irrational, but her anger really hit close to home with situations I've seen with family and friends, so I can't help but feel sympathetic.

EDIT: I want a sequel set two years later so Max can geek out about Fury Road.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 20, 2015

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Yah, there's no way max doesn't rewind from that ending. The complete lack of awareness it would take for developers to have an ending that is "look it's a new timeline, none of your choices mattered!", and then immediately show you player stats on all the choices people made would be astounding. I have more faith in the LiS team here.

I am actually annoyed that the milk and eggs were not in the fridge btw. What the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Rincewind posted:

I feel like I missed lots of stuff in the diner scene in my efforts to get the key as quickly as possible without getting caught and/or murdered.

Also way to break time and kill all the whales, Max.

And yet the decision I regret the most was impulsively agreeing to go to the stupid Planet of the Apes thing with Warren. I'm tempted to replay the whole thing just to avoid that, but I want to live with my decisions the first time through and then just do a Perfect Run when I can play through the whole game from beginning to end.

I'm pretty sure I found/spoke to everyone, tbh you didn't miss too much. The cop is working for Prescott senior to watch over Nathan's dealing with Frank. Nathan is a psychopath, hates his dad, hates Max, hates everything, loved Rachel? Rachel and Frank had a thing. That was about it.

• Locked thread