Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Only thing I wish (for PS4) is bigger text. To read the ability descriptions I have to walk over and squat next to the TV.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

EDIT: Herbs also respawn *really* fast so there's no reason to pick every flower.

Nice try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Firstly, I forgot to install the new nVidia drivers last night but I don't imagine they'd bump me up to pure 60.

How are you single 970 bros hitting 60 with ALL ultra AND hairworks? I spent an hour last night playing and varied between 25 to 50, averaging a highly playable 40 or so. Is my CPU REALLY killing me?

Win 7 64
8Gb
i5 2500K 3.3

Yet you dudes made it sound like I'm abnormally low. I'll update the drivers first thing after I get home but you got me slightly worried.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how is the loot clutter in this game? one thing I hated among other things about Inquisition was the sheer amount of worthless loving poo poo you picked up EVERYWHERE.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why can't I turn off floating numbers? I've had it off in every Witcher game, it's really weird to not be able to turn it off. It makes super hi-fidelity action graphics skill RPG combat look like a cartoon.

If it was locked on in every game I'd understand but this is just weirding me out.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Firstly, I forgot to install the new nVidia drivers last night but I don't imagine they'd bump me up to pure 60.

How are you single 970 bros hitting 60 with ALL ultra AND hairworks? I spent an hour last night playing and varied between 25 to 50, averaging a highly playable 40 or so. Is my CPU REALLY killing me?

Win 7 64
8Gb
i5 2500K 3.3

Yet you dudes made it sound like I'm abnormally low. I'll update the drivers first thing after I get home but you got me slightly worried.

I'm getting 60 with some dips with mostly ultra settings, I think only water, shadows and npc spawn set to high. Hair works is turned off though, I think that's the big fps killer. I tried it and crash my game during the opening cutscene, so I haven't tried since.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Win 7 64
8Gb
i5 2500K 3.3

They're not. Checking out the PC performance thread on Neogaf, most people are saying they have to turn foliage options down and hair works off to reliably hit 60 fps on a 970.

You're still pretty low, though, and I don't think it's the CPU.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Is this game good, or is it like the last two (good storyline but otherwise tedious combat and lovely systems abound)?

I feel like the developers are like Polish Obsidian entertainment in these respects.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
How do I get up to level 4 for the main quest of killing the gryiffin? Do I go around and look for question marks or something? So far I've only encountered a couple of sidequests, not nearly enough for me to level up to 4.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there seriously nobody else freaking out about these damage numbers? Did nobody else play through the previous games ~4 times with damage numbers turned off?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Psyker posted:

Is this game good, or is it like the last two (good storyline but otherwise tedious combat and lovely systems abound)?

I feel like the developers are like Polish Obsidian entertainment in these respects.

Yes it is good.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Win 7 64
8Gb
i5 2500K 3.3

I am in 50s consistently @1920x1200 with all Ultra and hairworks turned OFF using your same system.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CrusherEAGLE posted:

How do I get up to level 4 for the main quest of killing the gryiffin? Do I go around and look for question marks or something? So far I've only encountered a couple of sidequests, not nearly enough for me to level up to 4.

I found and did everything except for a few of the treasure caches and went up to level 3 during the griffon hunt quest. You get experience for parts of it, not just for completing it. You don't need to be level 4 and I think the quest itself asks you be level 3 anyway.

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there seriously nobody else freaking out about these damage numbers? Did nobody else play through the previous games ~4 times with damage numbers turned off?

I like damage numbers

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
Even on my 50" inch I have to really focus to read text. It's not that bad but it's just strange since a lot of the time large parts of the screen are unused when reading text.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
FOV's got me ready to blow chunks after an hour and I can't find a way to fix it on PC. Probably a cool game but I guess I won't know until I can play more of it. Glad it was free with my video card.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

You craft a potion once, you get a potion item with a certain # of charges (I think the charges are affected by your skills). When you meditate, any potions refill their charges if you have alcohol in your inventory, one per potion that needs to be refilled. You still need ingredients later because most potions have multiple upgrades that require the base potion as an ingredient, but you don't need to hoard flowers obsessively. This system is a little weird feeling at first, but it's effectively cured me of my open-world OCD.

EDIT: Herbs also respawn *really* fast so there's no reason to pick every flower.

I still have a lot of trouble finding that one herb I need so I do keep running around and picking up everything.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The game is much more GPU locked than CPU locked. I have an i5 3570k @ 4.2 and a 750ti and I just left it on the default settings the game was at and it's locked to like 30fps

However the game seems to get hardlock and crash happy in menus :\

Yeah I have about the same rig as you and I've purposely dialed everything down lower than it probably needs to be. It seems to reduce the crashes, at least for me.

Metal Bear
Jun 18, 2014

Ideally what level should you be when you leave White Orchard? I'm at 3, but I'm seeing a lot of mobs around White Orchard that are 7+, same goes for the quests in Velen. I did all the notice board quests in White Orchard and cleared out a couple of hamlets/shrines.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Metal Bear posted:

Ideally what level should you be when you leave White Orchard? I'm at 3, but I'm seeing a lot of mobs around White Orchard that are 7+, same goes for the quests in Velen. I did all the notice board quests in White Orchard and cleared out a couple of hamlets/shrines.

Level 3 is as far as you're gonna go without spending a year grinding on wolves.

fake edit: when I left White Orchard, I went up to level 4

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Nephrite posted:

So I'm an idiot who didn't understand how to import my Witcher 2 save. The choice at the start where it asks to Simulate a save, does anyone know the difference?

I picked "No" because it was my guess that in doing so I'd be able to pick the choices once I got to that part of the game, is that correct?

It should have a 3rd option to Import your Witcher 2 save in that prompt. If that isn't there it isn't detecting the save files.
If you bought Witcher 2 on Steam and Witcher 3 somewhere else or vice versa you gotta move your save files from the steam directory to C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Played this a bit last night and this morning. Ran it on Ultra with the hair works turned all the way up and it's been a steady beautiful ride.

Even my daughter was enjoying it. She saw me picking some flowers and wanted to do it too. She did this for like 30 minutes having a blast. GOTY in my household :).

Just wanted to check, which is better? SSAO or HBAO?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

Played this a bit last night and this morning. Ran it on Ultra with the hair works turned all the way up and it's been a steady beautiful ride.

Even my daughter was enjoying it. She saw me picking some flowers and wanted to do it too. She did this for like 30 minutes having a blast. GOTY in my household :).

Just wanted to check, which is better? SSAO or HBAO?

HBAO is better and generally the performance hit is negligible

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So am I high or is there no way to play this game in 720p? I was dicking around with the graphics options and wanted to see if dropping the resolution down would help the FPS dives but there's no 16:9 resolution option in my slider other than 1920x1080. Anyone know how I can force it?

Edit: also does playing on SSD help at all? Mine's currently installed on a WD Blue but I do have enough space to move it over to the SSD if that helps at all.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

VarXX posted:

It should have a 3rd option to Import your Witcher 2 save in that prompt. If that isn't there it isn't detecting the save files.
If you bought Witcher 2 on Steam and Witcher 3 somewhere else or vice versa you gotta move your save files from the steam directory to C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves

Yeah, I didn't realize that until later. It's not a really big deal since I'll probably replay the game with the save once the Expansion Packs come out anyway.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

card game: the medic ability seems pretty powerful (instantly take a card from your discard pile and put it on the field) - it's tied to a 5 power siege card as well. not sure at this stage if it's balanced at all but it's fun to break right now

Yeah, and the siege commander or whoever that gives +1/+1 to your catapults, that happens even after they hit the board with a weather effect. The rules are much simpler than mtg, I thought the weather effect would have a later timestamp.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Game is amazing - sorry if this has been answered already, but how do I access the beard/hair/armor DLC? I'm on PC

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Calidus posted:

I am in 50s consistently @1920x1200 with all Ultra and hairworks turned OFF using your same system.

Yeah I'll kill hairworks after installing the drivers, admire 60FPS, then promptly turn it back on. I'm my own worst enemy. I'll also run with whatever the gently caress that thing to check your temps is, MSI Afterburner? CPUZ? Can't remember.

Also, going back 20 pages: Sup, jump-off-the-balcony-first-thing-you-do-bro? poo poo was hilarious.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Guessing not because I didn't find anything when googling, but has anyone found a workaround or fix for the bestiary/inventory hardlock bug? I really wanna play but I also want to read stuff. :saddowns:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Someone mentioned this before, was in the guide but I'm not sure if it ever got posted. If you want to know what each Witcher 2 choice / simulate choice does:

(character spoilers)

Aryan Dead/Alive: affects conversation with an NPC during a main quest (Broken Flowers)

Roche/Iorveth: small conversation change when you meet Roche again

If Roche, he asks about Anais/Triss - not mentioned in guide, guess it doesn't matter

Sile de Tansarville: If alive, appears in a main quest (The Great Escape)

Letho: If alive, gain access to a secondary quest (Ghosts of the Past). If dead, you don't get the quest.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are bees super deadly or something? I knocked down a hive, then tried setting fire to the bees when they attacked. After that I moved off but noticed my health was falling very fast. Where can I find what affects me? I went through all my food to try and run out a timer but I still died from who knows what.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Are bees super deadly or something? I knocked down a hive, then tried setting fire to the bees when they attacked. After that I moved off but noticed my health was falling very fast. Where can I find what affects me? I went through all my food to try and run out a timer but I still died from who knows what.

When you stand in a cloud of bees, they drain your health until you move away.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Call me a retarded idiot but I'm digging through the .ini files trying to turn off damage numbers. Every time there's combat I exit the game and try again.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I didn't read all the new posts, but has anyone brought up downgrades since the game came out or is everyone pretty satisfied with the PC/PS4/XBox1 versions?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Arglebargle III posted:

Call me a retarded idiot but I'm digging through the .ini files trying to turn off damage numbers. Every time there's combat I exit the game and try again.

Holy poo poo dude they're really not that big a deal.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The bloody baron is a cool guy. I hope he doesn't end up being a slaver or something down the road, I don't want to kill him. :ohdear:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm mad. Mad about numbers!

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Can you cook raw meat? It seems wrong to just eat it... raw.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Man I love that the noon wraith quest, the herbalist, and the hunter all intersect, and it gets referenced in that graveyard. This is a well written game.

The lady who becomes the noon wraith was supposed to have a peaceable chat with the local lord about returning to his land but then for some reason he killed her and the village. When you ask the herbalist about the noonwraith lady she says that everything was going fine until noon wraith said something about the lord's son. The hunter, if you press him, reveals that he worked for the lord and was in love with the lord's son until a stableboy squealed. The hunter got driven off and the lord's son killed himself. The grave stone for the son says something about forgiveness for his crimes.

Yea and I love when you first meet the hunter.

"I'm a freak" "OH ARE YOU A WEREWOLF I CAN HANDLE WEREWOLVES IT'S ACTUALLY A PRETTY EASY CURSE..." "Dude I'm gay..."

Manatee Cannon posted:

When you stand in a cloud of bees, they drain your health until you move away.

You heard it here, guys, hot tip for Witcher 3: bee clouds aren't good to chill out in.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Spikeguy posted:

I didn't read all the new posts, but has anyone brought up downgrades since the game came out or is everyone pretty satisfied with the PC/PS4/XBox1 versions?

I'm playing on PS4 but have a 780ti and am used to pretty nice graphics. It looks really good, though some weather looks better than others - sunset tends to wash everything out a lot and it doesn't look great (except if you're in a forest, where it looks amazing). Rain looks incredible. The combination of the sound design (random trees creaking) and the trees actually moving with the wind makes for really nice visuals.

tl;dr if someone's still angry about downgrades they probably have autism (if that wasn't obvious before)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

This game looks loving great on high/ultra settings on my i5 2500k and 780ti. I could run almost all ultra, but I'm trying to stay at 60fps.

Norns fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 19, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

How are you guys checking your FPS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

VanillaGorilla posted:

You have to fast travel from sign post to sign post. You can't just open you map anywhere and teleport around.

Thanks bro. Realized it seconds after posting.

Three new random questions/comments

1. Second town/main mission and in level 4. I get a contract and the suggested level is 33. Wtf

2. I got the expansion pass code with the game. Redeemed it from PSN, but for some reason it did not start to dl. Now it does show in my library, and k cant re-Redeem the code. It gives me the "promotion code has already been redeemed" Message. I have not received the than you for the purchase email that i normally receice from PSN as well. Any One else got similar issues?

3. Any word on the free dlc?